What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!)

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!)
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!)
Found the official way to contact Microsoft about issues with Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta.

Please everyone, report any bugs, false positives and problems to the newsgroups Microsoft has for this, here:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware

Like already said, this is still beta software. The more people report problems to Microsoft, the better the final version will be :).
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-08-2005 10:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
juanfrank11

I killed a cat

RE: Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!)
Is only a Beta Version, it still will be so :dodgy: until it get released at no-beta.
:chrongue:
01-08-2005 10:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Flames

34 / Male / –
i tried it and you guys/gals are rite, this programs detects false spywares-plus, etc... it even detected one of my spyware scanners as a spyware! (which is not in anyway)
this program works really well in many ways except the scanning function, however, this is only a beta and it expires after certain amount of time^o)
01-08-2005 10:09 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by paperless
keylogger is in fact a threat for your privacy msn sniffer also
I know, as i said in my post: It's very gooed to detect those. Nothhing against that, just listing them in my post to be complete, it's not my mission to be 100% negative :).

To everyone saying: "It's beta" or "It's still a beta"...
I am very much aware of that and i know what that means. But if nobody would make any comment about beta software, then why would there be a public beta release? Feedback is always wanted for beta software, if nobody would comment about a bug or other issue in beta software, then that problem will most likely still be there in the final release. But you are right that this is not the right place to report issues about Microsoft's AntiSpyware, i posted it in Microsoft's newsgroup now.

Also, this is not an anti Microsoft or a pro Messenger Plus! thing. In fact i think it's really good that Microsoft comes with their own (hopfully free) anti spyware tool now. I fix people's computer on my work and know how much spyware can do. And if i would blame anybody it would be Giant and not Microsoft just bought the software from Giant. But i don't blame Giant either, just pointing out some issues and hoping it will be fixed.

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
I dont think any of them are false
They sure have some kind of valid reason for most detection, but let me point out the most abvious ones again:
  • eDonkey is detected on my system. However, i don't have eDonkey on my system and never had. The files that are detected belong to eMule. The only connection between both is that they connect to the same P2P network. eMule does not contain any ad/spyware, in fact eMule is an open source project. So if you don't believe it, check the source code. How would you explain this as a valid detection?
  • Grokster is detected on my system. But i didn't installed this software and never had. In fact the file detected is part of KazaA Lite. This "lite" version of kazaa i installed doesn't contain any wpyware, which is also proven by all other anitspyware tools i know of.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-08-2005 11:08 PM
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
I didnt read the whole thread but i read the most of replies and saw all pics ...

i downloaded it some minutes ago and it detected grokster, kazaa and msgplus... i havent grookster neither the original kazaa i have kazaa lite resurrection.. lol btw im gonna unninstall it coz i dont need it anymore

01-08-2005 11:41 PM
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
i dont see the point you are trying to make it is detecting these programs because they do in some way or another pose a threat to your system or install something that you might not want you to do.
the problem i have is it is only pointing out that this program (in the example of plus) has the possibilty of doing something you dont want it to. It does not do anything to these programs or their files unless you change the default option which im sure most people would not do. What is the problem with it informing users with possibly useful.
Obviously, most of you won't actually consider my opinion because i like Microsoft. i think they have done a lot more good for the world than bad.
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
01-09-2005 05:22 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
It found two programs that dont exist on his computer.
And it finds pluses program files, with or without the sponsor. Yet not the installer, where the option to install to sponsor.
So you can imagine is some joe random is scaning there system, which has plus on it but not the sponsor, and it brings up plus' files and he think "Oh no messenger plus is spyware, i better tell everyone i know"
Which is completely incorrect.
01-09-2005 05:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
i dont see the point you are trying to make it is detecting these programs because they do in some way or another pose a threat to your system or install something that you might not want you to do.
What does eMule do?

quote:
It does not do anything to these programs or their files unless you change the default option which im sure most people would not do.
Yes, however... for example the Messenger Plus! detection. It detects Messenger Plus! as spyware, even when the sponsor is not installed. People already get confused/angry at that point and don't even bother to read the description that says it's optional. Like madman said
quote:
Originally posted by madman66
some joe random is scaning there system, which has plus on it but not the sponsor, and it brings up plus' files and he think "Oh no messenger plus is spyware, i better tell everyone i know"
The first example is already here.

quote:
Obviously, most of you won't actually consider my opinion because i like Microsoft.
This is not an anti Microsoft / Pro Microsoft / Anti Plus! or Pro Plus! thing like is said in my previous post.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-09-2005 05:50 PM
zaidgs

– / Male / –
lets just remember that the ONLY change microsoft did so far to the giant antispyware was put their name on it, not really more than that :S

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Also, it only seems to detect the start menu shortcuts and not the files itself, wierd.
it detected all of its files for me !! :S weird !
01-09-2005 07:28 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
btw it detected what pulse has a key logger :lol: ?
01-09-2005 07:47 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: