What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!)

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!)
Author: Message:
ChrisTorng

– / Male / –
RE: Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!)
I don't agree with RealVNC: "you need to login with a password before you can do anything with it", because hacker can put RealVNC in your computer and set a password for his use... So an antispyware software shouldn't treat "RealVNC with password" never a trojan.
ChrisTorng Style MessageLog V2.1 released! (English)
Ink Creator to edit/save/resend ink (handwriting) message (English)
ChrisTorng English homepage
01-10-2005 01:39 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTorng
I don't agree with RealVNC: "you need to login with a password before you can do anything with it", because hacker can put RealVNC in your computer and set a password for his use... So an antispyware software shouldn't treat "RealVNC with password" never a trojan.
Well, same goes for the very Windows XP Professional then, which includes a similar feature.

Regarding Msgplus, apparently Patchou should report the false positive here: http://www.spynet.com/vendors.aspx

Meanwhile I suggest all that think Plus is erroneously catalogued at Spyware post their opinion in the newsgroups, "signatures" subforum:

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/defau...ures&iPageNumber=1
01-10-2005 04:41 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
MS AntiSpyware vs Ad-Aware vs SpyBot
http://www.flexbeta.net/main/printarticle.php?id=84

quote:
Conclusion
Though still in beta, Microsoft AntiSpyware was able to detect more infected files than the current leading anti-spyware applications in the market today, Ad-Aware and SpyBot S&D. AntiSpyware's user interface is better looking than both SpyBot and Ad-Aware, not to mention much easier to use than SpyBot.
Wow... :p

BTW, the article mentions Plus! and also shows "MsgPlus-325" on the desktop... :banana:

This post was edited on 01-10-2005 at 06:54 AM by WDZ.
01-10-2005 06:51 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!)
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Meanwhile I suggest all that think Plus is erroneously catalogued at Spyware post their opinion in the newsgroups, "signatures" subforum:

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/defau...ures&iPageNumber=1

And I suggest to the others to also read all the messages in that newsgroup. This program has a vast... VAST amount of false warnings and plain wrong detections... (no wonder it detects "more" then any other similar program)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-10-2005 08:50 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
zaidgs

– / Male / –
An unusual false positive in MS-AntiSpyware
i have seen a strange behaviour from MSAS:
an antispyware program called "personal antispyware" was detected as a keylogger (which it isnt), thats not all to it, it is only detected when a program called "perfect keylogger" is installed. the relation between those two programs is that they are made by the same company.

first i installed personal antispyware, then perfect keylogger, MSAS detected both as keyloggers, then i uninstalled perfec keylogger, and only the remains of perfect keylogger where detected !!!

an interesing thing to notice was that neither MSAS nor ad-aware detected perfect keylogger as a process (they detected files and registery keys)

this screenshot with both softwares installed:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=359825]

this screenshot is taken after perfect keylogger was uninstalled (using add\remove) and personal antispyware STILL installed. (the remains of perfect keylogger were detected)
[Image: attachment.php?pid=359830]

.jpg File Attachment: test1.jpg (130.85 KB)
This file has been downloaded 632 time(s).

This post was edited on 01-10-2005 at 08:16 PM by zaidgs.
01-10-2005 08:03 PM
zaidgs

– / Male / –
RE: An unusual false positive in MS-AntiSpyware
second screenshot
i got a question, although this probably comes really late: considering that microsoft bought giant's software, and that software was not beta (am i wrong here?) so software should be more or less complete, so if sm1 knows, were most problems there when microsoft bought it, i am not talking about plus!'s false detection here, cuz thats already answered, but other bugs in the software.... the changes i heard of so far are that they changed logo, and disabled searching for cookies for some reason......
this question comes to my mind because as i read on the net, the giant antispyware had a really good reputation in the antispyware field, while people do have some objections over microsoft's antispy (which i find to be ironic)

also another question: does anyone have any info about further releases of the software, like beta2, or even release dates ?!?!

.jpg File Attachment: test2.jpg (94.19 KB)
This file has been downloaded 642 time(s).
01-10-2005 08:07 PM
(insert name here)

37 / Male / –
i had this problem too...and in no way does it make me anti-microsoft...if i was, i'd be stuck using linux, but the reality is that people are'nt here to bash microsoft or the anti-spyware beta, but to address security concerns with msgPlus.  The purpose of all this was to show that the beta isn't perfect, and that new users, like myself, can trust msgPlus despite what the scan told me.  Thank all of you for your help.
in the immortal words of Jason Mewes:
"What the fu<k is the internet?"
04-27-2005 07:32 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
List of all the Msg Plus! regkeys MS antispyware detected on somebody elses comp.

Clear enough i had to reassure this person she can safely ignore these warnings:
Messenger plus! is an add-on for msn messenger. During installation users may install an adware program called C2media, which is also known as lop.com.
This is a low risk application and will not cause direct harm to you computer, removing it is not required. However, its is strongly recommended that you review this application's End User License Agreement (EULA) as well as review the application's privacy policies.
Since this application gives you the option to not install adware that comes bundled, we recommend ingnoring it.

And yep, that warning doesn't only come up when installing Plus! but also afterwards with every scan. This person also did not install the sponsor. I can imagine this beeing very frustrating and confusing. At first i thought it was the installationfile it detected or that it detects it because "allow Plus! to send anonymous.." was on. She turned that off and still that warning, you can imagine my surprise when i saw the huge list of regkeys it detected (she e-mailed them to me).

This post was edited on 04-27-2005 at 11:44 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
04-27-2005 11:40 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by zaidgs
i got a question, although this probably comes really late: considering that microsoft bought giant's software, and that software was not beta (am i wrong here?) so software should be more or less complete, so if sm1 knows, were most problems there when microsoft bought it, i am not talking about plus!'s false detection here, cuz thats already answered, but other bugs in the software.... the changes i heard of so far are that they changed logo, and disabled searching for cookies for some reason......
this question comes to my mind because as i read on the net, the giant antispyware had a really good reputation in the antispyware field, while people do have some objections over microsoft's antispy (which i find to be ironic)
Indeed an excellent and very interesting point!!!! And I'd wish more people would come to this conclussion (especially those so called "trustable", "all knowing" leader-members of some anti-spyware forums who are too damn narrow minded)....

Microsoft's Anti-Spyware program does exactly the same as the Giant Antispyware program did/does!!! If Giant had a so good reputation, and MS AS has not, then what is the deal???

Simple: or people bashing it because it simply states "microsoft", or people stupidly believed everything what Giant (and other antispyware programs and above all people on those forums) told them.

This shows clearly to me that in either case people should learn more about computers and software and how things work than believing everything they read from the so called "trustable" antispyware companies and forums and/or stop bashing everything from MS just beacuse it is MS.

This post was edited on 04-27-2005 at 12:51 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-27-2005 12:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: