What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Impossible due to protocol

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Impossible due to protocol
Author: Message:
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
O.P. Impossible due to protocol
Alright, I hear a lot of people (rightfully) say that some things are impossible due to the protocol,
But there are always people absolutely sure that it is possible...

I somehow doubt those people even know what the protocol is, and therefor I think it needs some clearing up...

As humans, we can communicate because we both know english. if I say dog, you know what I'm talking about, if I say cat, you know what I'm talking about.
However, when one of us suddenly starts using spanish words, you would not be able to understand me anymore, unless also you spoke spanish...

The same story applies for Messenger, the protocol is like a language it uses to commicate with other Messengers, and you cannot add new things unless it is somehow defined in the protocol. and you CAN add new stuff, but then other messengers you are communicating with would need that same stuff too, else they would no longer be able to work together. So you can add new stuff like display pictures for different contacts, but your contacts would need to install the same plugin/program, and contacts not doing that would not even see your DP.

I hope this cleared up a bit,
if you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask :)
[Image: theblasp.png]
03-01-2005 10:49 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Impossible due to protocol
so diferent DP's for diferent contacts is definitely out for only one person having the patch/program?

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
03-04-2005 06:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
so diferent DP's for diferent contacts is definitely out

no, well shouldn't be. since M_E made a plugin that could show different names to different people. so one should be able, to be made the same way
03-04-2005 06:13 PM
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
no thats chat only name

when you send a instant message, it also sends the email + friendly name with it, just replace the name sent :P and hey presto :P
03-04-2005 06:15 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
damn had ma hopes up when Toddy said about different names for different people. oh well

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
03-04-2005 06:20 PM
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
quote:
damn had ma hopes up when Toddy said about different names for different people. oh well

custom contact names ??
03-04-2005 06:39 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
no not custom contact names, Chat only name

quote:
Originally posted by Toddy
a plugin that could show different names to different people.

quote:
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
03-04-2005 06:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
Hmm... about the different DP for each contact, and/or setting your own custom DP for your contacts(their dp), would infact be possible... by only the one person having the program... it just needs to be a proxy or do some sock hooking as MD,  I am not sure wheter what I say now is correct and up to date with MSN and the new protocol, since I haven't followed the prootocl since MSN 6.2... but well... Wouldn't it be possible to just use proxy and then interfere when the dp's are sent/recived? the dp¨'s are sent as pure binary, if I'm not mistaking?... you could then just send another DP as binary instead of the original that MSN sends.. and vice versa when reciving dp's.. just send your own dp binary to the client instead of the one recieved by the proxy.... This should in general work , right?.... but not many people likes to use external proxies to shit like this, and with MSN 7, it's really hard to make a proxy, right?... so then I guess you should use some sock hooking?, then you would also be able to make it as a plugin instead of external program?.. am I right?.... Or am I all wrong about this?
03-06-2005 08:58 AM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
O.P. RE: Impossible due to protocol
quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
Hmm... about the different DP for each contact, and/or setting your own custom DP for your contacts(their dp), would infact be possible... by only the one person having the program... it just needs to be a proxy or do some sock hooking as MD,  I am not sure wheter what I say now is correct and up to date with MSN and the new protocol, since I haven't followed the prootocl since MSN 6.2... but well... Wouldn't it be possible to just use proxy and then interfere when the dp's are sent/recived? the dp¨'s are sent as pure binary, if I'm not mistaking?... you could then just send another DP as binary instead of the original that MSN sends.. and vice versa when reciving dp's.. just send your own dp binary to the client instead of the one recieved by the proxy.... This should in general work , right?.... but not many people likes to use external proxies to shit like this, and with MSN 7, it's really hard to make a proxy, right?... so then I guess you should use some sock hooking?, then you would also be able to make it as a plugin instead of external program?.. am I right?.... Or am I all wrong about this?

No, MSN sends a little hash to the server, which the server sends to all your contacts. when a contact gets your DP, it checks it with that hash to check if it hasn't been corrupted during transfer....
[Image: theblasp.png]
03-06-2005 11:37 AM
Dark Link

But what does stuffplug NG to put the images bigger???

This post was edited on 03-06-2005 at 04:16 PM by Dark Link.
03-06-2005 04:15 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: