What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » How many Idle statuses does WL Messenger have?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
How many Idle statuses does WL Messenger have?
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. How many Idle statuses does WL Messenger have?
I think there was two idle statuses of Messenger at older versions which one of them has been activated after some inactivity delay and the other one when screensaver starts or user went back to Start Screen of Windows. But I think in this version 8.1, they are integrated together to a single Idle status. Can you confirm this? I have surprised when I noticed this just now.
05-09-2007 05:02 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: How many Idle statuses does WL Messenger have?
There always was and there still is only 1 idle status, namely 'Idle'....

'Idle' is _only_ activated when you enable the WLM option "Show me as away after x minutes". This has always been the case in the past and it still is.

When you enable "Show me as busy when I run a fullscreen app." your status will not be idle, it will be "Busy", just as the caption says. This has also always been the case in the past.

And as you can see both those options are still present, nothing has changed regarding that. The "set me as busy" is right below the "show me as away" in the preferences, I dunno how you can miss that... if you looked at the preferences at least...

Those two have always been the only two features regarding Messenger automatically changing your status.

This post was edited on 05-10-2007 at 05:13 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-09-2007 11:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: How many Idle statuses does WL Messenger have?
Yes, I made a mistake. But I didn't mean how many different idle statuses exist, if it was so their names wouldn't be same, would they? I wondered if there are two different status signals which are sent by different events. And now I have discovered why I thought that there are such two different Idle statuses. Because when I was using Windows Live Messenger's Beta version before it was officially released, I saw sometimes "contact name (Idle)" on my contact list, I think you had used that Beta version and you had seen such a status instead of Away for your contacts too. But as CookieRevised said and as I know, it was saying "Show me as "Away" to my contacts if I am inactive for -- minutes". So I was seeing sometimes Away and sometimes Idle on my contacts' names. As far as I know, not only an inactive delay but also screensaver and switching back to Start Screen of Windows trigger Idle status too. So I thought, if my contacts are inactive for a delay they set, my Messenger show them as Away (and I know this is a different status from normal Away one); and if my contacts' screensaver starts, my Messenger show them as Idle. So I supposed there are two different signals for two different hidden statuses. I am sorry for bringing such a simple discussion to the board also.

If you could understand my writings and my point here, please state it by PMing me. This will help me improve my English if it is really bad as you say.
05-10-2007 07:03 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
I am sorry for bringing such a simple discussion to the board also.
This forum is meant for asking questions like that, so no worries there...
05-10-2007 07:08 PM
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: How many Idle statuses does WL Messenger have?
quote:
Yes, I made a mistake. But I didn't mean how many different idle statuses exist, if it was so their names wouldn't be same, would they? I wondered if there are two different status signals which are sent by different events. And now I have discovered why I thought that there are such two different Idle statuses. Because when I was using Windows Live Messenger's Beta version before it was officially released, I saw sometimes "contact name (Idle)" on my contact list, I think you had used that Beta version and you had seen such a status instead of Away for your contacts too. But as CookieRevised said and as I know, it was saying "Show me as "Away" to my contacts if I am inactive for -- minutes". So I was seeing sometimes Away and sometimes Idle on my contacts' names. As far as I know, not only an inactive delay but also screensaver and switching back to Start Screen of Windows trigger Idle status too. So I thought, if my contacts are inactive for a delay they set, my Messenger show them as Away (and I know this is a different status from normal Away one); and if my contacts' screensaver starts, my Messenger show them as Idle. So I supposed there are two different signals for two different hidden statuses. I am sorry for bringing such a simple discussion to the board also.

If you could understand my writings and my point here, please state it by PMing me. This will help me improve my English if it is really bad as you say.

Aah, sorry but you've lost me at "I think you had used...", I'm afraid that sentence is quite inconsistent, tense-wise. (And who is "you"?)
[Image: rdmazu.php]
05-10-2007 07:24 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
(I)
:|  I have just noticed that it is nothing but Messenger Plus! Live's new feature (Show contacts as Idle instead of Away....). agh how silly I'm. Right, it has been started showing it like that when I installed Messenger Plus! Live 6 months ago. And from that time until now, this had remained (MenthiX, is this usage correct) in my mind as a question mark. Also until the time I attempt to translate Plus!, I was not aware of the most features of Plus!. Thus, it is nothing about Beta or screensaver etc. .
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Aah, sorry but you've lost me at "I think you had used...", I'm afraid that sentence is quite inconsistent, tense-wise.
MenthiX, you may be right. That tense is one the tenses which I could never accurately understand when I'll use it.

And another suggestion which is again unrelated to the topic, I have translated that "Show contacts as Idle instead of Away when appropriate" as "Show contacts as Idle instead of Away when they aren't active (Note that 'active' is the exact word which WLM has in its option about it).  Because I don't think new Messenger Plus! Live users can easily understand what that appropriate means and that option is about. To your information... Maybe you will (MenthiX, CookieRevised, some translators who read this post and all others [is it clear who 'you' here is, MenthiX?]) like the idea.

05-10-2007 11:15 PM
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
Eeer, I'm not MenthiX lol... *-)

I still don't get everything in your 2nd post but whatever. WLM's got only one Idle status triggered by the "Show me as away after x minutes" feature, but also by the Windows XP's "Session switching" (don't know how this is called in english Windows versions, the Win+L thing), and maybe by the screensaver too?

About your suggestion, I don't know if it's really more accurate than the existing sentence. When an user is Away, he's not active either (supposedly)...

edit : yeah, he even changed it in the quote tag... ?

This post was edited on 05-10-2007 at 11:33 PM by Apatik.
[Image: rdmazu.php]
05-10-2007 11:33 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
:D I misremembered who posted this post. And I didn't use quote buttons directly, I copied what MenthiX, sorry Apatik wrote and I didn't pay attention who is the owner of the post when copying them. Anyways.

quote:
Originally posted by [s
MenthiX[/s] Apatik]About your suggestion, I don't know if it's really more accurate than the existing sentence. When an user is Away, he's not active either (supposedly)...
But it says 'Instead of Away', so people would notice it is talking about the 'Away' status which WLM states in its option. Also if it was like you told, Plus! option would say 'Override Away status of my contacts as Idle'. OK this didn't be a very distinct thing from the original option. :D I am shutting up now.
05-11-2007 07:30 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
And another suggestion which is again unrelated to the topic
Then why do you post about it in this thread. Stop doing that!

You suggestion here is about translating, this should go in the Translation forums...

quote:
But it says 'Instead of Away'
'instead of away' means showing something instead of the word "away", it doesn't mean instead of the status Away.

When a user has the status Away, the word "away" will never be replaced with the word "idle" since their status is Away, not Idle.

Hence, the 'when appropiate' means that not all the words "away" you'll see should actually be "idle", some must stay "away".

quote:
Also if it was like you told, Plus! option would say 'Override Away status of my contacts as Idle'.
no it wouldn't.

'Override Away status of my contacts as Idle' is totally something different. This means all away statusses will be overriden with the word "idle". This is completely wrong because of the reasons given above.

This post was edited on 05-15-2007 at 12:39 PM by CookieRevised.
05-15-2007 12:30 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Translation of "Idle instead of Away" option of MsgPlus!
Note: I have hesitated to write this reply here. Because if CookieRevised couldn't understand very well  from my previous posts what I'm talking about, how will he understand now? Yet, I have written my reply. But I still wonder why he writes such replies to my posts.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
And another suggestion which is again unrelated to the topic
Then why do you post about it in this thread. Stop doing that!

You suggestion here is about translating, this should go in the Translation forums...
Sorry very much...really. Since you are so annoyed, I promise, you won't see offtopic things in my posts any longer. Tolerate one more time for this thread.

quote:
quote:
But it says 'Instead of Away'
'instead of away' means showing something instead of the word "away", it doesn't mean instead of the status Away.
I think, it does mean instead of the status Away. I can't understand again how you could understand like that? (How many WLM user knows there are two different Away statuses?)

quote:
When a user has the status Away, the word "away" will never be replaced with the word "idle" since their status is Away, not Idle.

Hence, the 'when appropiate' means that not all the words "away" you'll see should actually be "idle", some must stay "away".
These are known by me and I think, most of the users. So don't get angry, but you again gave unnecessary information. Please assume that everyone on this forum knows options very well. If they say something wrong, then give those informations only to them.

Now consider someone who is using Messenger Plus! Live first time and doesn't know there are two Away statuses of WLM. When he sees that option, what would he think? 'When appropriate', hmmmmmm, what is this appropriate condition for this option? So this is not like the option "Auto-accept Requests" for instance. Because that option is obvious. Because all users are familiar with the requests and Accept and Decline options. So when users see Auto-accept option of MsgPlus!, they can easily understand what it is talking about and marks it or not. But what is this option and what does it bring us? I think, many people enable it without knowing what that appropriate case is for that feature to work. So my suggestion is not that bad at all. Because a clever user like me and you ;) can easily understand what that option will do if it is checked, if it says "Show contacts as Idle instead of Away when they're inactive". Because as I said before, a clever user can understand it is talking about the Away status which is activated with the WLM's option marked. Because if it was not the case, the option should be, "Show contacts as Idle instead of Away". Note that, I have removed 'when they're inactive' part. Or it may say "Show contacts as Idle when they're inactive". So these are very different things.

quote:
quote:
Also if it was like you told, Plus! option would say 'Override Away status of my contacts as Idle'.
no it wouldn't.

'Override Away status of my contacts as Idle' is totally something different. This means all away statusses will be overriden with the word "idle". This is completely wrong because of the reasons given above.
I know they are completely different but I wrote it intentionally. But MenthiX or Apatik said that when contact is Away, it also meant that he is inactive. So MenthiX or Apatik is not sure, if such a change will be very useful or not. But on my reply to MenthiX or Apatik, I wrote those sentences above .

My suggestion is clear:

Show contacts as Idle instead of Away when they're inactive

A clever user can easily get the point here. If it is not only saying, Show contacts as Idle when they're inactive but adds the part instead of Away there, people will think, "So if I uncheck this option, it will show inactive users as Away as ever, but if I check this option, it will show them as Idle."  But here something may confuse minds. That is, you may say "But WLM doesn't show inactive users as Away, it shows only when contacts want to appear as Away when they're idling." Yes, but a clever user can get this point from the option. I can't write any longer about this subject. I can't express myself very well. I was going to try to clarify it much more but I think I have reached my limits. Cookie, I hope you can understand now with this much clearness.
05-15-2007 10:05 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: