What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » MsgPlus! shouldn't enable chat logging for new users by default

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
MsgPlus! shouldn't enable chat logging for new users by default
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. MsgPlus! shouldn't enable chat logging for new users by default
quote:
Originally posted by h3LLf1r3 in this thread
Hello, I recently got into some trouble because of logs taken by Messenger Plus. I had absolutely no idea that it was taking logs, since I had never turned that on and I didn't think it would be on by default.
I think h3LLf1r3 is not the only one who encountered this problem, that is, people are generally not aware of Messenger Plus! is logging their conversations by default. And the number of Messenger users who don't bother to read Messenger Plus! configuration wizard is not small. I know people who installed Messenger Plus! in order only to read their friends conversations, so Plus!'s this feature, or not this feature but enabling it by default for new users is something wrong which may make people hate Messenger Plus! So my suggestion is either disabling it fo new users by default, and if they want to enable it, let them do from Configuration Wizard when it is launched when user first signed-in or from Preferences. My second suggestion is, removing that Chat Logging item from Configuration Wizard and make a system like WLM does for new users.
06-01-2007 12:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: MsgPlus! shouldn't enable chat logging for new users by default
First rule of installing a new program: go through all the options.
[Image: jumbled.png]
06-01-2007 12:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Its also already asked in the configuration wizard, which shows up every first time a user signs in on a Plus! enabled Messenger.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-01-2007 12:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
High Speed Chaser

Don't mess with the Wambulance!

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
quote:
Originally posted by h3LLf1r3 in this thread
Hello, I recently got into some trouble because of logs taken by Messenger Plus. I had absolutely no idea that it was taking logs, since I had never turned that on and I didn't think it would be on by default.
I think h3LLf1r3 is not the only one who encountered this problem, that is, people are generally not aware of Messenger Plus! is logging their conversations by default.

I think you should be aware of what your doing. Especially when installing a new program. When you update the program you get used the features and you know what your doing.

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgnsAnd the number of Messenger users who don't bother to read Messenger Plus! configuration wizard is not small.

People should read it. In fact sometimes I take extra time to read the configuration wizard. In fact maybe you should tell them to read it.

This post was edited on 06-01-2007 at 12:41 PM by High Speed Chaser.
If only I knew what I should put here
06-01-2007 12:40 PM
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
its the users fault so you cant blame MP for what happened. like HSC said, READ what it says, check things twice, mistakes are always avoidable.

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
06-01-2007 12:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
And the number of Messenger users who don't bother to read Messenger Plus! configuration wizard is not small.
You have access to Patchou's statistics?
quote:
enabling it by default for new users is something wrong which may make people hate Messenger Plus!
Hating Plus! for logging a conversation is absolutely stupid. It only takes one click to turn chat logging off. This is not like some deep registry setting or completely hidden automatic feature which is impossible to change.
quote:
So my suggestion is either disabling it fo new users by default, and if they want to enable it, let them do from Configuration Wizard when it is launched when user first signed-in or from Preferences. My second suggestion is, removing that Chat Logging item from Configuration Wizard and make a system like WLM does for new users.
Contradiction again. First you say let them change it in the Config Wizard, next you say remove it from the Config Wizard.

And in regards to removing it from the Config Wizard: Why???? This is the *number*th suggestion you make to actually remove a userfriendly feature from Plus! which make it easy for people do understand how to use Plus!, just because you or one of your friends don't bother to read what they do.

It is not because you or some of your friends don't bother to read something when they install a program, that such a thing is useless and should be removed all together. That completely doesn't make any sense.

There are already problems enough because people don't bother to read something. Encouraging such behaviour will only make things worse. People should learn to read stuff when they install something or when they start using something. The others who replied here are very correct regarding this.

Also, I dunno what you mean by "making a system like WLM does for new users" as WLM doesn't have any 'system for new users'...

Stick to your original suggestion: disable chat logging by default, which is the only sensible thing to do here (and the only thing which I agree upon). That should be all, not removing anything, not changing other options, not adding 'systems like WLM', nothing more... Anything else you've suggested in this regards doesn't make any sense.

---------

And when talking about numbers: the people who come here and complain or didn't know that Plus! logs chats by default and don't know how to change it, is very extremely small, suggesting that this actually isn't a big problem.

This post was edited on 06-01-2007 at 01:28 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-01-2007 01:16 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
A lot of peopel actually install Plus! for the chat logging option and the configuration wizard was made clean and simple exactly so that most people would check it out.

Note that to protect people's privacy when using a public computer, the latest versions of Messenger Plus! do not enable chat logging by default is the current account is a Guest account.
[Image: signature2.gif]
06-02-2007 02:40 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: MsgPlus! shouldn't enable chat logging for new users by default
Well, I must clarify something here again.
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
A lot of peopel actually install Plus! for the chat logging option
quote:
I know people who installed Messenger Plus! in order only to read their friends conversations, so Plus!'s this feature, or not this feature but enabling it by default for new users is something wrong which may make people hate Messenger Plus!
If people don't read Config Wizard or explore MsgPlus! preferences, should Plus! punish them by logging their chats at the background like a spyware. No, MsgPlus! can't and mustn't be such a program. Quote: "Messenger Plus! is freeware. Freeware is neither spyware nor shareware just freeware."
OK, lets keep Chat Logging option in Configuration Wizard, but lets make it a two-optioned item. I mean such an item in Config Wizard;

Chat Logging-
      Messenger Plus! can keep your chat logs better than original WLM.

o Yes, save my chat logs     o No, don't save my chat logs.

And thus, if user doesn't read Config Wizard or someone disabled it from registry on a computer to pop-up when first sign-in, then a second window may pop-up for only ask for this Chat Logging when closing a chat window like WLM does. Then users have to opt for an item in that small window, either Save or Don't save. Because there won't be an option to close that window unless they opt for one, I mean no X on window and OK button is disabled until user opts for one.

Also if you find this way of Chat Logging of MsgPlus! useful, I claim that there is something wrong again here and I consider it as a bug. What is that? you find it please.
06-02-2007 10:49 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
If people don't read Config Wizard or explore MsgPlus! preferences, should Plus! punish them by logging their chats at the background like a spyware.
Please do not compare Plus! with spyware like that!!!!! There is nothing abnormal about the current situation. Nothing is hidden in the background or obscured or difficult at all. The only thing people need to do is READ what pops up on their screen, they even don't need to click anything first.

As Patchou said the Config Wizard is very clear and simple in this. And even the Preferences are easy understandable.

quote:

OK, lets keep Chat Logging option in Configuration Wizard, but lets make it a two-optioned item. I mean such an item in Config Wizard;

Chat Logging-
      Messenger Plus! can keep your chat logs better than original WLM.

o Yes, save my chat logs     o No, don't save my chat logs.

And thus, if user doesn't read Config Wizard or someone disabled it from registry on a computer to pop-up when first sign-in, then a second window may pop-up for only ask for this Chat Logging when closing a chat window like WLM does. Then users have to opt for an item in that small window, either Save or Don't save. Because there won't be an option to close that window unless they opt for one, I mean no X on window and OK button is disabled until user opts for one.
No, no and no.

The option is already extremely clear and simple. Why must everything always change and be made far more complicated? There is absolutely nothing wrong with how the option is presented, neither in the Config Wizard, neither in the preferences.

What you suggest will make things a 1000 times more annoying, complicated and confusing to the user... not user-friendly in any way...

Again, if something should change it is only 1 registry setting (which sets the default state for chat logging; and which I also can agree upon, but not because of the same reasons as you), absolutely nothing more. If Patchou isn't going to change that, he certainly isn't going to mess up and mangle up the current user-friendly interface and method.

and:
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Messenger Plus! does not enable chat logging by default if the current account is a Guest account.
anyways...

This post was edited on 06-02-2007 at 02:27 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-02-2007 01:28 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
This feature has been around since what plus version? No one has ever complained about this... If people read the wizard this wouldn't happen :p People are not being punished by MsgPlus! nor Msg  Plus! is acting like some crap spyware. people are victims of their own lazyness or ignorance...
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
06-02-2007 02:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: