What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
[suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
Author: Message:
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
Ignoring the argument which has sorta settled down here, I think there are three good ideas to do with this feature.
1.a. Explain on the dialog box which pops up when you lock messenger how to UNLOCK IT.
1.b. If 1.a. is not applicable then have the tooltip balloon pop up from the systemtray icon explaining you how to unlock it.
2. When you select lock messenger from the Plus! menu (an option I never even realised was there - I use shortcuts too much :P) you get a dialog warning also - as how it is with using the key shortcut - MEANING that no matter how you do it, when you lock messenger for the FIRST TIME ONLY, you'll get the dialog box. Makes sense to me. Except you might need to change the words on the dialog box to get rid of "the key combination you have pressed" seeing as you haven't pressed a key combo you've selected a menu item anyway that's not important right now.

Offtopic: @Cookie yeah the interesting thing with Plus! 3 is that when it's installed alongside Plus! 4 when you go to lock messenger it doesn't change the icon, or stop sounds from playing when you receive a message. Which I think might have something to do with the fact it's default key combination for locking messenger is Ctrl+Space, which is now being used as a universal shortcut by Plus! 4, and this reason has been further proven to me when I've tried to make Ctrl+Space work with MP!3 and MP!L at the same time. Anyway so yeah I'm not a pro on the whole bosslock/messenger lock thing and how they may be different, but from my experiences using MP!3 and MP!L together since MP!L came out that's what I've seen.
12-16-2007 11:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
@Cookie yeah the interesting thing with Plus! 3 is that when it's installed alongside Plus! 4 when you go to lock messenger it doesn't change the icon, or stop sounds from playing when you receive a message.
That's exactly what is supposed to happen as those are the only things Messenger Lock will do in Plus!3. Having Plus!4 or not doesn't matter in this. So what Plus!3 does in that case is exactly the same as if Plus!4 wasn't installed at all. Thus:
quote:
Which I think might have something to do with the fact it's default key combination for locking messenger is Ctrl+Space, which is now being used as a universal shortcut by Plus! 4
nope, nothing todo with that.

;)

This post was edited on 12-17-2007 at 12:31 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-17-2007 12:26 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
Then why did it show the changed icon back when everyone was using MP!3 and it doesn't now? Unless it's got something to do with it only changing the icon for msnmsgr and not msmsgs (MSN/WLM and Windows Messenger).

EDIT: And if it's nothing to do with that then why is it? I've always wanted to know :P

This post was edited on 12-17-2007 at 01:56 AM by Aardvark.
12-17-2007 01:50 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Then why did it show the changed icon back when everyone was using MP!3 and it doesn't now? Unless it's got something to do with it only changing the icon for msnmsgr and not msmsgs (MSN/WLM and Windows Messenger).

EDIT: And if it's nothing to do with that then why is it? I've always wanted to know :P
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at though. But the changed icon was part of the Boss Protection. The Boss Protection hide all windows and changed the icon of Messenger (to that drive icon, by default). The Messenger Lock feature didn't change the icon, but it would lock Messenger with a password. So, they were two different functions acting independant of eachother.

Now, with Plus!4, those two features are combined into one. The Lock Messenger feature of Plus!4 can hide all windows, change the system tray icon and lock Messenger with a password.

If that is what you mean...

This post was edited on 12-17-2007 at 03:24 AM by CookieRevised.
12-17-2007 03:22 AM
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
Not really.

In Plus! 3 when you locked messenger, the icon DID CHANGE to the network drive icon. I swear it did because I remember changing it to another icon and not knowing how to change it back again :P. That was done using MSN 7.5.

Now I run Plus! 3 on Windows Messenger 5 alongside Plus! 4 with WLM 8.5. Plus! 4 is set up so that when Ctrl+Space is pressed, it locks, and the icon changes.

When I go through the setup wizard on Plus! 3 in Windows Messenger, it says the default combination for locking Plus! is None - but it didn't say None before when I was using MSN 7.5 with Plus! 3.

So firstly - why does it say None

If I try and change it to Ctrl+Space - so that if I press Ctrl+Space both Windows Messenger AND WLM will lock at the same time - it won't let me.

So secondly, why won't it let me?

And thirdly, going back to my original paragraph, when I'm using Windows Messenger and lock it, using /lock, since I haven't setup another key combination, things hide but the icon in the system tray doesn't change.

DOES THIS MEAN that /lock has a different effect to using a key combination, in Plus! 3? or what? :S

This post was edited on 12-17-2007 at 03:41 AM by Aardvark.
12-17-2007 03:39 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
quote:
In Plus! 3 when you locked messenger, the icon DID CHANGE to the network drive icon. I swear it did because I remember changing it to another icon and not knowing how to change it back again :P. That was done using MSN 7.5.
Then I'm afraid you remembered wrong ;)

As I said before, it is the "Boss Protection" feature which could change the icon, not the "Lock Messenger" feature. Both features could be activated with a shortcut though, and both will 'hide' the Messenger windows. But only one will change the system tray icon, which is the Boss Protection feature.

The default shortcut for the Boss Protection feature is CTRL+SPACE. The Messenger Lock feature didn't had a shortcut assigned and isn't enabled by default.

quote:
Now I run Plus! 3 on Windows Messenger 5 alongside Plus! 4 with WLM 8.5. Plus! 4 is set up so that when Ctrl+Space is pressed, it locks, and the icon changes.

When I go through the setup wizard on Plus! 3 in Windows Messenger, it says the default combination for locking Plus! is None - but it didn't say None before when I was using MSN 7.5 with Plus! 3.

So firstly - why does it say None
Such shortcuts are system-wide. This means they will always work, no matter in what application in Windows you're busy with.

But in order to make it so, the shortcuts must be registered to Windows. And you can only assign one application/action to one shortcut. So this means that you can not have two applications (eg: Plus!3 and Plus!4) reacting on the same shortcut. Either one of them should unregister the shortcut in favor of the other.

quote:
If I try and change it to Ctrl+Space - so that if I press Ctrl+Space both Windows Messenger AND WLM will lock at the same time - it won't let me.

So secondly, why won't it let me?
Same reason as above. You can only assign one application to a system-wide shortcut.

quote:
And thirdly, going back to my original paragraph, when I'm using Windows Messenger and lock it, using /lock, since I haven't setup another key combination, things hide but the icon in the system tray doesn't change.

DOES THIS MEAN that /lock has a different effect to using a key combination, in Plus! 3? or what? :S
No, it acts in the exact same way.

The command /lock will execute the "Messenger Lock" feature. This feature will not change the systemtray icon. As said before, it is the "Boss Protection" feature which changes the icon. There is no command to activate the Boss Protection.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=874734]

.png File Attachment: Plus!3_BossProtection_MessengerLock.png (124.53 KB)
This file has been downloaded 383 time(s).
12-17-2007 04:23 AM
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
* Aardvark thinks about what the screenshot inevitably said while it was slowly loading and tries adding a shortcut to Boss Protection.

aHA! Now I get it.

Btw when I said "when you locked messenger the icon changes..." I meant Boss protection - stupid complicated jargon.
12-17-2007 04:40 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
quote:
I think there are three good ideas to do with this feature.
You think there are three good ideas TO BE IMPLEMENTED TOGETHER IN THE NEXT VERSION, or, ONLY ONE OF WHICH TO BE IMPLEMENTED (not all together)???
quote:
1.b. If 1.a. is not applicable then have the tooltip balloon pop up from the systemtray icon explaining you how to unlock it.
Why & when cannot 1.a be applicable?
quote:
2. When you select lock messenger from the Plus! menu (an option I never even realised was there - I use shortcuts too much ) you get a dialog warning also
Why ALSO? If user has been explained how to unlock Messenger previously (when he used the shortcut), why would a second warning teach him again how to unlock Messenger?

My second post, which incudes screenshots of two seperate windows, already explains everything imho.

When user firstly locks Messeger, however he does it, will get only one pop-up according to the case.
quote:
Except you might need to change the words on the dialog box to get rid of "the key combination you have pressed" seeing as you haven't pressed a key combo you've selected a menu item anyway that's not important right now.
I don't think so. If the window pops-up when he presses the shortcut, it must explain that he pressed a shortcut which locks Messenger. Otherwise, a user would think "what did I do so I locked messenger?".

Edit To WDZ's notice: I didn't receive any new-reply notification e-mail after this thread has been split to T&T although, I checked now, it still looks like I have subscribed to this thread.

This post was edited on 12-17-2007 at 03:40 PM by ahmetgns.
12-17-2007 03:38 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
Ahmetgns, Aardvark simply summed up what has already been said in this thread...

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
quote:
I think there are three good ideas to do with this feature.
You think there are three good ideas TO BE IMPLEMENTED TOGETHER IN THE NEXT VERSION, or, ONLY ONE OF WHICH TO BE IMPLEMENTED (not all together)???
Why is that important? He gives three possebilities. The three possebilities which are talked about in this thread. It's up to Patchou...

quote:
quote:
Why & when cannot 1.a be applicable?
He gives possebilities. There might be reasons why some method will not work/not be implemented. Reasons only known to Patchou atm.

quote:
quote:
2. When you select lock messenger from the Plus! menu (an option I never even realised was there - I use shortcuts too much ) you get a dialog warning also
Why ALSO? If user has been explained how to unlock Messenger previously (when he used the shortcut), why would a second warning teach him again how to unlock Messenger?
Who's talking about a second popup? Nobody... Instead read what he said:
quote:
2. When you select lock messenger from the Plus! menu (an option I never even realised was there - I use shortcuts too much :P) you get a dialog warning also - as how it is with using the key shortcut - MEANING that no matter how you do it, when you lock messenger for the FIRST TIME ONLY, you'll get the dialog box.

quote:
quote:
Except you might need to change the words on the dialog box to get rid of "the key combination you have pressed" seeing as you haven't pressed a key combo you've selected a menu item anyway that's not important right now.
I don't think so. If the window pops-up when he presses the shortcut, it must explain that he pressed a shortcut which locks Messenger. Otherwise, a user would think "what did I do so I locked messenger?".
*sigh* He is very obviously talking about the dialog which pops up when you click the menu item, not when you press a shortcut. Although it is the same dialog, the wordings must be different.

Aardvark summed up, in a simple yet very clear and understanding manner, what has been said so far in this thread.

You are quick to accuse people of not being abe to read English or not being able to understand what your (very gibberish) posts say, using all sorts of excuses. But you seem to fail at understanding short (and written in proper English!) posts also...

This post was edited on 12-19-2007 at 12:16 PM by CookieRevised.
12-19-2007 12:09 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
Looks like this suggestion is very confusing :P, everyone can understand everything from the sentences.
12-19-2007 11:01 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: