What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered .......

Pages: (7): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 » Last »
-SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered .......
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered .......
*sigh*

Travi (and others),

Renaming that dll will let you sign in, yes, but it will brake other things, mainly the syncronization of your contacts!!!. This will not only effect the proper workings of your contact list, but it also could effect your entry in your contacts' contact lists.

I know how frustrating it might be that you can't sign in, but, please, for the last time, do not rename or delete that DLL!!! It is not a proper fix! Instead follow the official fix (link provided several posts back in one of my posts), and if that does not work then contact support so MS can investigate this.

Again, renaming or removing that DLL IS NOT A PROPER FIX and will brake more things in the futur.

You're all making it way harder for yourselfs AND for MS to investigate this. You WILL have problems later on.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-03-2009 05:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
kavish

bt how to solved the official fix does not provide any solution!! only steps to chek the file
12-05-2009 04:08 AM
LexDozel

CookieRevised, I appreciate your adamant pursuit at making sure we don't make things harder for ourselves in the long run, but at the same time:

1) People have searched for solutions and found them; if doom really does come then they will search again,

2) The official fix gets brought up on search engines before this thread, and because it's the "official" fix, everyone will try those first. I, like many others, tried those steps and couldn't even sign in. This only leads people to tamper with the file that does cause problems, and

3) Nobody without true alternatives will simply sit idly by and wait for fixes. This new MSN has been out for quite some time now and I continuously downgraded to avoid it. I even downloaded Trillian and AIM. However, I can't expect everyone on my contact list to download these programs and switch with me if they aren't having problems.

I read somewhere that the downgrading thing was put to a stop due to security issues, and I can understand that; MS just wants us to be safe. However, this forces the current MSN and, most likely, the problems it brings upon everyone. Most of us are not well-versed in the nuances of computer technology, and as such something that allows just signing into a program like this is a fix to them.

The only things that can be done are to not use MSN or to wait for more fixes from MS. Until then, people will continue to do this. I'm sure you understand this already but I say just let things play out.
12-08-2009 08:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
kavish

yes sir i have understooD :)
12-09-2009 01:44 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
LexDozel,

1) Actually, and unfortunately, most people do not search (properly). This is proven a lot, time and again.

2) Again I can assure you that the official fix and even those official sites in general, are not found that regulary by most people (unfortunatly). And as such, stuff said there is not tried out first. If it is tried, it is actually usually done as a last resort when more damage is already done. The sole fact that many people don't even click on Help in Messenger, heck, don't even know it exists, says a lot. This again is proven time and again.

Many of those official fixes do work. In fact, I still need to come across one that does not work!! However, the problem is quite often that people do not understand them, don't follow them properly, or actually are having a different or additional problem than for what the fix is meant for (because they are indeed not always very clear though).

The same for this particular problem. 2 friends of mine, and one family member had exact the same problems described in this thread after upgrading. And although one of them also did the DLL renaming, they eventually let me access their PC and I could fix it without a problem using that official fix (after doing other (official) fixes to solve other problems first though!).

One of their problem was that they most likely messed things up in the past. Of course, not everybody is computer-literate, but that also means that people who are not so PC-literate should follow advise from people who are. And if they still would have problems, they should ask for help to someone with access to their PC to fix it for them. Because as said, instructions are rarely followed properly - they aren't always very clear either though, that's very true). And if there are still problems, one should contact Support. Again something which is very rarely done in situations likes this (because it is again no so clear how to contact them and/or some people think they wont/cant help anyways).

3) You will eventually need to use the latest version. Or use an alternative like Trillian if you don't like it. Downgrading will not always work and is, in case of Messenger, almost never a good thing to do.

---------------------

I can understand that many people see this DLL-'solution' as the real fix though. But that is simply because they _see_ that they can sign in again, and as far as they are concearned that was the problem. However, and this is very typical, they do not see that they, by applying that 'solution', actually cripple Messenger even more! This also results in future proper fixes and upgrades to fail, etc, etc, and posts like yours which insist in telling people that official fixes do not work.

The only thing that should/can be done is starting from scratch. Removing all the mess that people have tried and reinstall everything. But again here is a big problem because not everybody knows how to install Messenger properly from scratch. Unfortunatly this is not as simple as it should be (and that is for a big part the fault of MS, absolutely). As a result, those people again complain that it does not work and it is again 'proof' for them that such solutions like the DLL renaming _is_ the real fix.

It is a real vicious circle.

Why do you think that all the people, aka common residents, on these forums never have such (severe) problems? It is because they have the knowhow of how to fix things, know the official sites and know how to follow those official fixes properly.

It are mostly newbies, no offense to them, who have problems with it. And that is, as I said before, because they follow bad advise or have followed bad advise in the past. That is not entirely their own fault of course, because they do not know (can't know) what is good advise and what is bad advise.

Don't get me wrong, MS isn't holy and they do make mistakes. They also make mistakes in Messenger. They also don't always make it easy to fix something, or even find their help/support, etc. And a lot can still be improved. But if they provide a solution for a particular problem, it does work in 99,9% of all the cases, provided you follow their advise to the letter, don't skip anything (eventhough you think you don't need to do a step or you don't understand a step), you know what you're doing, and you actually follow the correct advise for your particular problem and not some other problem.

As such, we are here to try to help people too with the proper fixes, not with half-arsed stuff which actually does not fix anything at all.

And, I repeat, renaming that DLL will _not_ fix the real problem and will actually cause more (hidden) problems in the long run. Instead, one should follow official fixes or advise from knowledgable people which you can find on these forums for example.

If you have further problems, please contact Support and give proper, detailed and full descriptions of your problems, instead of applying half-arsed solutions. But this is again something which is often not done right (because not everybody knows howto because they are not that pc-literate) with the result that people again think the official solutions/support does not work.

In the mean while, for this particular upgrading problem, we will continue to tell people that renaming or deleting that DLL is not the proper solution and will cause you even more problems. Because those are the facts.

This post was edited on 12-11-2009 at 05:00 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-09-2009 03:01 AM
snowtoad

RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered .......
quote:
Originally posted by dollar
Hi all try this it works for me.
Make sure you exit MSN.
1.Click Start
2.Click My Computer
3.Double Click Local Disk (C )
4.Double Click Program files
5.Double Click Windows Live
6.Double Click Contacts
7.Right Click wlcomm and click on Properties
8.Click the Compatibility tab and in the  Compatibility Mode box put a tick and select Windows 98/Windows ME and click OK.
Now Start MSN and all should be good.
Hope this helped
Dollar.

nice just signup to say thanks for this good info that solves everyones problem thanks
12-11-2009 04:23 PM
Hachikuji

for all of us who had the same problem
i guess for me since i have'nt fixed the can't add contacts issue.
i think i just wait for the next windows live update hoping they'd fix all the bugs.
up until now i really think its stupid why the previous update has conflicts with other apps which is causing bugs for us. @w@
i hope that when there's an official fix for this problem it'll be posted sticky here
12-11-2009 09:41 PM
rascal

RE: RE: -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered .......
This was the fix for me, search for the old DLL's in the list in the link below and rename or delete.
An old CITI Bank Virtual Card DLL, "BHOCITUS.DLL" was the culprit.
Removed all the "compatability" stuff from WLCOMM.DLL.

YEA!!

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Please read and use the official fix:

http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns...8B853F!15941.entry

This post was edited on 12-12-2009 at 01:42 PM by rascal.
12-12-2009 01:41 PM
john_cena86

44 / Male / Flag
download Uniblue Registry booster.

and scan your registry...and fix them...i have solved my problem using this way...

the crash of windows live communications platform is due to some invalid registries...uni blue registry booster easily fix them

now my WLM is working fine....

if you need this software reply me

i'll send you the link
12-25-2009 11:47 AM
tarsanth

Just an alternative solution I found for those that wish to continue using the Nvidia Networking Utility. 

Instead of uninstalling it, I opened it up, went to "Folders Prioritised by FirstPacket" (assuming you have Enabled "FirstPacket"), and then added the Windows Mail and Windows Live folders from Program Files to the list of prioritized folders. 

All windows live communications platform based programs that weren't working are now running fine with no crashes.  Hope this helps for a few people!
12-27-2009 12:46 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: