What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Lost password=Lost Security Answers Info=Lost account?

Lost password=Lost Security Answers Info=Lost account?
Author: Message:
murilloj5

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. Undecided  Lost password=Lost Security Answers Info=Lost account?
Hi, i am having problems singing in into my email account.

As expected i just recheck for password i normally use and didn't work.
Then i proceeded to go for the security questions but i have had this account for more than 6 years now and i just don't remember some of the information needed to get the reset password option. I used to live outside of the US back then when i created the account so it made it even more difficult to remember some of it.

The strange thing is that i don't remember changing my password for anything and i am afraid someone could steal my account. For some reason i can still log into my MSN (My MSN has ON the option of save my password) with the same  email account but can't log into my email.

This is really serious for me as i use this e-mail as my main e-mail for several things. On MSN i got all the info for my family and friends, and i even have paypal account under this email which now im afraid to use.

If there is any way to reset my password, or get my account back please let me know. I'll highly appreciate any information regarding this issue. Or if anyone knows who should i contact for this.

The email i am referring to is removed@hotmail.com and you can contact me for any question through this email (removed at live dot com) which im using as my alternative email.

Moderator edit: removed email addresses

This post was edited on 11-15-2009 at 07:06 PM by Tochjo.
11-14-2009 02:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Lost password=Lost Security Answers Info=Lost account?
Hello,

First a small note though: this (sub)forum (MsgPlus! Help & Support) is not for general Windows Live support. It is for getting help about the Messenger Plus! program, which is an add-on for Windows Live Messenger.
As such, this thread will soon be moved to a more appropiate place.

---

quote:
Originally posted by murilloj5
The strange thing is that i don't remember changing my password for anything and i am afraid someone could steal my account. For some reason i can still log into my MSN (My MSN has ON the option of save my password) with the same  email account but can't log into my email.
The passwords, used for Messenger and used for hotmail/live mail, are exactly the same password. You can not have two different passwords because it all happens from the same account.

---

You do not need to know any special things if you want to reset your password while you are still able to log in into Messenger. All you need to do is go to your profile page and change your password from there if you whish:
  1. Make sure Internet Explorer is your default browser. If not:
    1. Go to your Windows' Control Panel and select "Add/Remove Programs"
    2. In XP, in the the left pane, click on "Program Access and Settings"
    3. Click on the "Custom" drop down arrow (third listing)
    4. In the "Choose default browser", select Internet Explorer
    5. Click "Ok"
    Note that the actual names of the menus and options can be a bit different. I don't have the exact English translation. For Vista/7 the menus and options can also be different, but the same principal applies.

2. Log in into Messenger
    The contact list shows up

3. In the contact list, hoover (don't click) over your display picture.
    A popup menu will show up

4. Choose "View my profile"
    You are now taken to your Windows Live Profile and are automatically logged in.

From here you can go directly to the associated Windows Live Mail by clicking on "Mail" in the upper menu (§ 1).
Or you can change your password and manage other settings by clicking on the upper right dropdown menu next to your name, and choose "Show your account" (§ 2).
From there you can click on "Change the password" (§ 3) and in the next window you can choose to reset it (§ 4) without entering your 'old' password. But if you do, do remember to change the password also in Windows Live Messenger.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=979810]

---

The paypal account has got nothing to do with your Windows Live account, so it is safe to use (unless you have the same password for that. If that is the case I very strongly suggest to change that password to something different, as soon as possible!)

---

PS: I also very strongly suggest to not give your email in public! That is asking for troubles. It isn't needed for anything. It can only be abused... And even worse is giving your other email and then saying you use that as the alternative email for your account. Do not do this in public, for your own good, as it can easly be abused...
Hence I'll also ask a moderator to remove them from your post.

.gif File Attachment: MailResetPassword.gif (35.95 KB)
This file has been downloaded 262 time(s).

This post was edited on 11-14-2009 at 09:38 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-14-2009 08:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
murilloj5

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Lost password=Lost Security Answers Info=Lost account?
Thanks for the advices and trying to help me. I appreciate the effort.

I have not been able to resolve my problem though.
Only reason why i was able to log into my MSN was because i had the remember my password option on for like a month. Trying to recover my password i un-clicked the option and now i'm not able to log into MSN.

Before that happened i did what you told me to do though. Everything was going smooth until the last steps.

When i hovered over my picture on MSn and clicked the Vew Account option, it would direct me to my account page. It would show my name, few contacts and general info.
But when i tried to change anything it would ask me to sing in. As if being logged into MSN didn't directly sign me into my mail as well.

Now unable to even connect to MSN i don't know what to do.
Is there any way i can get my back if i call someone or have them reset my password? 
I can prove im the person that created the account as it's all my personal data. I just don't know the password or secret answer. Also i never linked this email to any other email. I had it for over 6 years never though this would happen.

Or is there a way to suspend the account so that i'm sure nobody is using it to steal my information?

11-15-2009 11:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Lost password=Lost Security Answers Info=Lost account?
Then, one of the last options you have is to go to any Windows Live login page (eg: http://login.live.com/) and select "Forgot your password?" and follow the instructions.

In detail:
  1. On any Windows Live ID site or service sign-in page, click "Forgot your password?".
  2. Enter your Windows Live ID (=the email you use to sign in into Messenger)
  3. Type the characters you see in the picture box, and then click "Continue".
  4. Select "Send password reset instructions to me in e-mail".
  5. Select the e-mail address where you want the password reset e-mail to be sent (eg: your alternative email), and then click "Continue".
    But make sure you can access the email you've selected! Otherwise use the last resort form page as explained below...
  6. On the confirmation page, click "Ok".
  7. When you receive the password reset e-mail, click the link in the e-mail to reset your password, and then follow the online instructions.

Also see https://help.live.com/Help.aspx?project=LiveIDv1&...BySecretAnswer.htm

---------

As a last resort you can request personalised help to rest your password by filling in a validation form as good and as detailed as you can:

https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productkey=wl...idation&ct=eformcs

But note that resetting your password in this way is not always possible:
- You did not provide accurate information upon creation.
- You did not provide any information upon creation.
- You are unable to remember any detail on your account.
- The information on the account does not match what you have provided.
- You did not provide enough information to validate ownership.
- Thus, before completing the validation page, you should try to provide as much information before submitting.
- Name and email address is never enough for validation purposes.
- Please allow up to 24 hours for a response from our support team.

If you are not able to answer one of the mandatory questions, try anyways as accurate as possible, or else type "n/a" or "I forgot" or something. But as said above, note that chances will get smaller and smaller if you do this.

Also note that stuff like "Country", "State", "Zip", etc, must be the same as listed on your account, thus not necessarily the same as your current/real data. So, if you failed to update those when you have moved, you need to enter your old data.

Also the "Your Internet Service Provider" might be a bit confusing. It must be the name of you internet service provider. Thus don't simply enter "home" or "work", but the actual name of your ISP.

----------------------

EDIT: the above is an old post. Links might not work anymore.

For up-to-date information on how to reset your password look at the new Windows Live Solution Center here:
http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solution...-ac9a-93838d81b2d6
or here:
http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solution...-b03f-145b951dcb41

This post was edited on 07-17-2010 at 12:24 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-15-2009 07:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: