What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » New contact notification!

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
New contact notification!
Author: Message:
waterface

O.P. New contact notification!
Hi

A friends says that they have added me as a contact on WLM.

In the past when i was added when i used the old messenger, i would login & i'd get a box asking me if i wanted to confirm the person! Now i don't get this!, should i?.

The persons email address isn't in my list & i don't get a notification of the friend adding me!
Could one of my settings be wrong?

Thanks.

wf
11-16-2009 02:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: New contact notification!
There isn't a setting you can set to enable or disable this. My recommendation would be to try and add the email address manually. Why it didn't appear beats me!
11-16-2009 03:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
waterface

O.P. RE: New contact notification!
I found out my friends email & manually added it myself via contacts>add contact, but i'm wondering if there's a fault in my programme!

Could it be that the person's address is a @live.com address which is Microsoft/hotmail etc, so maybe no reason to!

Is there a way of me testing it by adding myself or an email so that i can login & see if i get my own add?
11-16-2009 05:26 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by waterface
I found out my friends email & manually added it myself via contacts>add contact, but i'm wondering if there's a fault in my programme!

Could it be that the person's address is a @live.com address which is Microsoft/hotmail etc, so maybe no reason to!

Is there a way of me testing it by adding myself or an email so that i can login & see if i get my own add?
As long as the email is registered to a password it doesn't matter. You can certainly add yourself and it SHOULD display the box.
11-16-2009 06:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Tampering with the Messenger files (eg: to try and make an older version working without upgrading) can cause the exact same things!

So, make sure you or your friend didn't altered the Messenger files in any way, now or in the past (yes, even if you did this in the past and have now upgraded it still can occur), and are both using the latest version of Messenger.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-16-2009 06:43 PM
waterface

Ok, i signed in & added myself, the hotmail address i am registered with messenger!
I was told that i can start communicating, once i've been accepted (by myself)!

I logged out & then back in again but didn't get a box asking me if i accept myself!

I haven't tampered with anything in this version 14.0.8 other than when i lost some sounds & i used Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor  to get them back via advice from here! 
11-16-2009 11:38 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
I logged out & then back in again but didn't get a box asking me if i accept myself!
You wont get a confirmation dialog when you add yourself. You only get that confirmation when other people want to add you to their list and only when you have enabled the option "Only people on my allow list can see my status, etc" or enabled the option "Notify me when people want to add me".
(and if both your and your contacts Messenger files aren't tampered with).

This post was edited on 11-17-2009 at 01:03 AM by CookieRevised.
11-17-2009 01:01 AM
waterface

Ok, i know now i won't get the confirm message when i add myself!

In Tools>Options>Privacy, i see 'only people on my allow list can see my status', i assume that if i uncheck this, people on my block list can too! ?, is this correct?.

Also, doing this, free's up the 'greyed' 'alert me when people add me to their contact list' this is already checked!!
I see in the 'view' list that the person isn't there yet says they have!

I guess there's no way of testing the 'add confirm' without getting another 3rd party to add me! 
11-17-2009 02:50 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
In Tools>Options>Privacy, i see 'only people on my allow list can see my status', i assume that if i uncheck this, people on my block list can too! ?, is this correct?.
No. Blocked people can't see your status because they are in the "Block List", not the "Allow List".

If you enable/disable that option you'll notice that the "All others" entry will switch from the "Allow List" to the "Block List" and back. It are those "All others" (thus unknown people; people who have not added you yet) which are influenced by this setting.

If that option is disabled then it depends on the option "alert me when people add me" if you will see a confirmation when someone new adds you.

Also, if that option is disabled, then everybody (incl. unknown people, excl. blocked people) can see your status, and your windows live id.

As such, I very strongly recommend to keep "Only people on my allow list can see my status" enabled. Otherwise you might start getting random people adding you.

quote:
Also, doing this, free's up the 'greyed' 'alert me when people add me to their contact list' this is already checked!!
When the option "Only people on my allow list can see my status" is enabled, it will override the option "Alert me when people add me". Aka, you will always get an alert. Hence why it is checked and grayed out if "Only people on my allow list can see my status" is enabled.

quote:
I see in the 'view' list that the person isn't there yet says they have!
That 'view' list is called the "Reverse List" and shows the people who have you on their "Allow List". If that contact isn't there it explains why you didn't got an alert yet; that person has not explicitly added you (yet) to his/hers "Allow List" (or he/she might have the "only people on my allow list" disabled... though I'm not 100% sure of that; need to check this again myself).

quote:
I guess there's no way of testing the 'add confirm' without getting another 3rd party to add me!
Nope.

But that 3rd party can also be another account of yourself though. If you enable "Polygamy" or "Multi-MSN" in Messenger Plus! you can start more than one Messenger program. So you could log in with more than one account at the same time on the same computer. Doing this, you could add one account to the other. And if both accounts are set up correctly you will normally get the confirmation dialog then.

This post was edited on 11-17-2009 at 07:43 PM by CookieRevised.
11-17-2009 04:54 PM
waterface

Ok, that seems to make sense.

Its unusual as to what the contact has done if they say they have added me!

I guess if i added them, then they will get an invite from me & i will be in their view list!

I'll ask a friend to delete me as a contact & then re-add me. I guess that will work do you think?, to check if my 'confirm' notification is working.?

I have both the boxes checked for 'Allow only people on allow list to see my status' & 'alert me when people add me' so i hope my settings are ok
I'm still not seeming to get notifications!

I asked a current contact to delete me & then re-add me to see if i get a notification & i don't!

I have both of the boxes checked! "alert me when people add me" & "Only people on my allow list can see my status".

Could it be that only brand new contacts ask for confirmation?
11-17-2009 06:57 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: