What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » New contact notification!

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
New contact notification!
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: New contact notification!
quote:
Originally posted by waterface
I'm still not seeming to get notifications!

I asked a current contact to delete me & then re-add me to see if i get a notification & i don't!
From what I remember from the past, you need to delete the contact too and also delete the contact from your Allow List (and the contact must delete you too from the Allow List) if you are testing this with existing contacts in your contact list. And also log out and back in (both of you).

Because a contact is never completely deleted until both parties have deleted each other from _all_ the lists. You can check this by going to your Allow List in Messenger and right click a contact.

Deleting a contact will only remove the contact from your Contact List, it wont remove the contact from your Allow List. And thus is still allowed to see your status; hence you wont get a confirmation when the contact adds you again because you still permit him/her to see your status because he/she is still in your Allow List.

Removing the contact also from the Allow List can only be done when the contact also removes you from his/hers Contact List first.
Thus:
1) Contact removes your from his Contact List
2) You remove contact from your Contact List
3) Now it could take a while before the servers syncronize, so give it 24 hours.
4) Contact removes your from his Allow List
5) Can again take some while
6) You remove contact from Allow List
7) You both don't exist for eachother anymore, and only now you could 'test' the confirmation again.

So by going to your Allow List in the Messenger options, you can check this out by right clicking a contact in your Allow List.

If the 'Delete' menu item is grayed out it means the contact must first delete you from his/her contact list (and possibly from his/her Hotmail List too) before you can delete them from your Allow List.

If the 'Delete' item is not grayed out it means you can remove the contact from your Allow List as the contact has already deleted you from his/her list. Only then the contact will be truely and completely removed (like it was when you didn't had eachother on your contact lists).

(or something like that.... very late atm and very tired)

This post was edited on 11-19-2009 at 03:18 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-19-2009 02:46 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
waterface

O.P. RE: New contact notification!
Ok, in Privacy & my allow list, i right click on the name & the only option i get is to add to block list!! (i.e. block the person)

So i guess the contact must delete me 1st from their contacts & allow list, then i delete too from contacts & allow list.

So i will ask them to do both these tasks & then i do them & then we truly are unknown to each other! 

I just found out that the person can't delete me, even though i have taken them off my contacts list & now i took them off my list in my hotmail. 

This post was edited on 11-19-2009 at 03:12 PM by waterface.
11-19-2009 11:02 AM
waterface

So the person is not in my contacts now or in my allow list & i'm not in theirs either. Or in the 'view' list!
Should that work?
11-20-2009 10:32 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
it should, yeah... (I hope)
11-20-2009 11:01 AM
gaara20

Something similar happen to me.

A contact ive had changed the mail hotmail adress to a live.com one, and all of the sudden, he was online on my contact list with no confirmation box! He appeared online and there wasn't any warning or what so ever. When he used the hotmail account he was on my list. Does that have to do with anything?

I think he used that service when you important all contacts to another mail, because i dont think he was adding all the contacts manually.

Is this a bug?

This post was edited on 11-21-2009 at 02:21 PM by gaara20.
11-21-2009 02:13 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by gaara20
Is this a bug?
No, this is by design.

You can change your Windows Live Id in some cases in such a way that you do not need to remove and re-add all your contacts. See your Windows Live Id Profile page: https://account.live.com/summarypage.aspx

In other words, this is completely different than what is described in this thread.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=980217]

.gif File Attachment: wlm_changeid.gif (22.33 KB)
This file has been downloaded 297 time(s).
11-21-2009 03:14 PM
waterface

So i deleted the person from my contacts & allow list & they did me too!
They have since added me again, but they are in my allow list in Privacy & view list, but they aren't in my contact list in the main interface?. Since they added me, i haven't had a confirmation??
11-23-2009 01:40 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: