What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Contact Information "You are not in this contact's list"

Pages: (9): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
Contact Information "You are not in this contact's list"
Author: Message:
xtremescy

O.P. Contact Information "You are not in this contact's list"
Hi all! please help me. i search for days through the whole forum and have not found a solution to it.

i realize that after i add someone and check-up on them; message plus feature>Contact Information; "You are not in this contact's list"
i dontknow why isit so, but when i asked my friend on the other side, they told me that they had me in their list and i appear online. i checked the Contact List Cleanup & Privacy, negative too. they're aint there.

but the weird thing is that if they ADD me, this problem dont happen; "You are in this contact's list". why is that so?

I add them; "You are not in this contact's list"
They add me; "You are in this contact's list"
same goes to the Contact List Cleanup & Privacy option.

please help! this is really getting on my nerve as i use msn alot =(
thankyou.
11-22-2009 05:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Contact Information "You are not in this contact's list"
The Reverse List as it is known as has not been working properly recently for some reason. A number of people here and in our IRC support channel have stated the same thing in the past few weeks. There is nothing known that can be done to fix this, as the information is being sent from the Messenger servers. Plus! just interprets this information and shows it in a way that's easy to interpret.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
11-22-2009 05:54 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
xtremescy

O.P. RE: Contact Information "You are not in this contact's list"
ok. so what can be done now? i'm damn pissed with it =( or i just have to wait till its ok? what's the "Reverse List"??

This post was edited on 11-22-2009 at 06:03 AM by xtremescy.
11-22-2009 06:03 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

38 / Male / Flag
You'll probably just have to wait for now, or wait until a solution is found. The reverse list is the list of contacts that have added you (instead your contact list, people YOU have added)
11-22-2009 06:05 AM
xtremescy

ok. do keep me update or drop me a message if its been solved alright, thankyou.

hmmm where can i find this reverse list then
11-22-2009 06:07 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

38 / Male / Flag
The reverse list can be seen under privacy options and in the contact list cleanup.
11-22-2009 07:10 AM
xtremescy

ok if there's a update PLEASE keep me inform. thankyou so much
11-22-2009 07:37 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by xtremescy
Hi all! please help me. i search for days through the whole forum and have not found a solution to it.

i realize that after i add someone and check-up on them; message plus feature>Contact Information; "You are not in this contact's list"
i dontknow why isit so, but when i asked my friend on the other side, they told me that they had me in their list and i appear online. i checked the Contact List Cleanup & Privacy, negative too. they're aint there.

but the weird thing is that if they ADD me, this problem dont happen; "You are in this contact's list". why is that so?

same goes to the Contact List Cleanup & Privacy option.

please help! this is really getting on my nerve as i use msn alot =(
thankyou.
Dispite what has been said so far in this thread, such behaviour can be quite normal and nothing is wrong with the servers!

Please search forums.

For example, if your contact (the one you've added) has "only people on my allow list can see my status" disabled than it would explain everything you told us. Nothing weird or wrong about it.

Again, like I've said in many threads before, I'm not claiming there is nothing wrong with the Reverse Listing, but quite a lot of the so called problems and "wierd" things that people report are in fact perfect logic behaviours and no bugs at all.

The thing is that apparently not many people know how all those lists and those options in Messenger actually work with eachother and quite often simply state that "There is a problem with the Reverse List or servers". While in fact there are perfect logic explainations for them depending on what the user _and_ the contact has set as options.

Not to mention that problems with the Reverse List can also be caused by tampering with the Messenger files. Lately, a lot of people try to trick the unsupported versions of Messenger to work again, because they "don't like the latest version". One of the major results is that their Contact Lists and other lists are behaving in unexpected ways. And this will not only influence themselfs, but also their contacts!!!! So even if you didn't alter anything in the Messenger files, it might be that your contact has, and thus you will experience problems too with that contact on your lists.

And to make matters worse, sometimes simply re-installing Messenger over an altered version does not solve those problems either. You explicitly must remove all data on your hard disk regarding Messenger (thus contact caches for example). And quite often, you and your contact must also remove eachother from all the lists to fix faulty contact lists on the server (faulty because they were syncronized from an altered Messenger).

So, you see, quite a lot of issues exist with this. And in many cases it has nothing todo with a server problem at all! But all todo with a user problem who has either altered messenger, or either doesn't quite understand how those lists and options in Messenger work (which is no surprising though, it indeed is not very straithforward).

This post was edited on 11-22-2009 at 03:57 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-22-2009 03:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
xtremescy

ok.

but anyway;

is it weird? when they add me its ok, but when i add them its not.
and the strangest thing is that, it just happened recently!

i just realize that.
recently those contact i added; "You are not in this contact's list" appear. so im thinking is there a recent bug? or...
11-22-2009 03:57 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by xtremescy

is it weird?
absolutely not if they have "only people on my allow list can see my status" disabled.

Also, you can NOT simply test this by adding/removing your contact. It is not as simple as that and thus any 'result' you have or almost any 'conlussion' you come to will not be correct as you must follow precise scenarios and must understand all those lists, how they actually work, and what those (privacy) options in Messenger exactly do, to come to a proper conclussion.

Together with that, you must also take in account what your contact has set as options, if they have tampered with Messenger (now or in the past), etc... Also the order in which you and your contact add and remove eachother is extremely important and will influence the outcome.

Again, from the information you gave so far, there is absolutely nothing wrong, strange or weird with what you've told us.

This post was edited on 11-23-2009 at 03:01 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-22-2009 04:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (9): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: