What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Taking away display names is HORRIBLE.

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Taking away display names is HORRIBLE.
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE.
quote:
Originally posted by b-adam
I was shocked when i first installed 2011, If nothing happens I will definitely consider switching to an alternative application.

For anyone who's interested, i've just created a FB group and would like share it here.

As a disclaimer i'd like to say that i am NOT affiliated with microsoft in any way and the group will probably have no effect on them at all. :P

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_141853819195746

That wont do much good though imho.
Also, the funny thing is, one of the main reasons you don't have a display name anymore, is exactly because of the connection to other social networks, especially like Facebook....

quote:
Originally posted by b-adam
anyways, let's just hope MS comes to their senses
aye!

This post was edited on 10-31-2010 at 06:00 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-31-2010 05:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Butcher_ss

38 / Male / Flag
We should all change our Profile name to Fork M$ and by fork i don't mean fork. Personally, most people that i have on WLM know me by my nickname and not by my name. Personally i don't use WLM that much but still people see my nickname and know who i am. I hate that M$ seems to use this policy in pretty much all its products, that is it forces people to undergo certain changes without giving them an option.  These so called "updates" and "upgrades" are nothing but that if they force these changes on the users and don't provide any alternative or option.  Some people said that they hope M$ does change this or they come to their senses which is not going to happen. Same reason why this was not released on XP and the same reason why the enforce these changes. The reason being that they will do whatever the heck they want, whatever will bring them more money and simply ignore anything that is different than what they want to do.
11-01-2010 07:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Butcher_ss
Same reason why this was not released on XP and the same reason why the enforce these changes.
Actually, the reason why it was not released for XP is completely and utterly different and has got nothing to do with the reasons why they changed the display name policy.

Also note that if it was soley to "bring them more money", logic would dictate that they would have released the same thing for XP too, as some people still use it without the ability to update to Vista or Win7.
11-01-2010 07:34 PM
Butcher_ss

38 / Male / Flag
On the contrary, by not releasing on XP what are they doing (i am referring to the new version of WLM)? Promoting Vista and Windows 7. Windows XP is not making any more sales at the moment and by not releasing this a person who wants this will either switch to Vista/7 or not install it.

If that person wants better synchronisation with Facecrap they have to upgrade. Again, promoting Vista/7. The reason this policy was changed was as previously mentioned to allow better synchronisation but why wasn't it offered on XP as well since more users have XP than Vista/7?

Because promoting a new product on a system that people already have will not bring them money. Same thing why they will not be releasing IE9 on XP, most people already have XP but if they want the new toys they have to get a new OS>>> More money.

The display name policy was changed so that there is better synchronisation and so on. What does that mean? People will be using WLM for more than just a single chat program. Using WLM for more purposes than just chat means that WLM will be used more if it provides more services. Correct? And what does WLM have? ADS. Meaning if more people use a product, then it means that more people will be seeing the Ads that the program has, hence the Ads just became more expensive>>More money.

Simple economics.
11-02-2010 12:44 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The main reason why WLM2011 was developped for Vista/Win7 only is because they wanted to use the new technology provided by Vista/Win7 which is not present in XP. This can be checked and read on many (un)official pages - and that's also the same reason why IE9 is developped for Vista/Win7, or any other new 'toy' for that matter: to take advantage of the new technology (it would be stupid not to).

Most of the stuff currently done in WLM2011 is not possible to do on XP because that simply doesn't have the required new architecture.

But yes, you're correct that they want people to use Vista/Win7 but that was certainly not the main reason behind the decision to only develop Messenger for Vista/Win7. There are far many and better ways to promote and push the new OS than using a (free) IM program.

quote:
Originally posted by Butcher_ss
The display name policy was changed so that there is better synchronisation and so on. What does that mean? People will be using WLM for more than just a single chat program. Using WLM for more purposes than just chat means that WLM will be used more if it provides more services. Correct? And what does WLM have? ADS. Meaning if more people use a product, then it means that more people will be seeing the Ads that the program has, hence the Ads just became more expensive>>More money.
err nope, I beg to differ... I think you made a wrong turn somewhere there... If that (revenue by ads) was the main reason, then it would have been more logic to also develop the same thing for XP since then even more people would see those new -way to big- ads instead of the smaller and less revenue providing things.

Either way, and no matter how you wanna look at it or how you explain the reason behind only developping for Vista/Win7, the direction the display names took hasn't got anything todo with what OS Messenger runs on, it even hasn't got anything to do with what version of Messenger you're using in the first place. Nor was money the driving factor behind it. That's completely different. The main reason was that they wanted to offer a more easier and consistant way of setting your display name across their different services, that's all. If Vista/Win7 wouldn't exist, they probably would also have made that (stupid imho) decision of the display names.

This post was edited on 11-02-2010 at 03:49 PM by CookieRevised.
11-02-2010 01:22 PM
andyo

Something weird happened to me. I'm still running 14.0.8117.416. I had changed my first and last name to the same display name I always had back when I tried the 2011 beta, cause I was anticipating this. But one of my friends who recently updated to 2011 made fun of me cause he thought I put my (very long) full name there.

I told him about the display name thing with the new version, but I thought somehow I had forgotten to change my full name, since he was still seeing it. I went to my Live profile, and sure enough, the display name I had changed a long time ago was still there. I changed my first/last names just to try, but my friend still sees my full name (with the new display name in parenthesis after it). I don't know of any other place where you can change your name. Heck, I don't even think I ever put my full whole name ever, but I must have at some point, I guess. Don't know why I would have done it though.

So my question is, where in the world could WLmessenger be getting my full name from?

This post was edited on 11-03-2010 at 11:48 AM by andyo.
11-03-2010 11:47 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by andyo
So my question is, where in the world could WLmessenger be getting my full name from?
Either http://profile.live.com/details/edit/name or sign in to an old Messenger version and your old friendly name is there. Depending on which client your contacts use they can see either of those.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
11-03-2010 04:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Also - If your Windows Live profile is connected to any services, e.g. YouTube, Facebook, MySpace, etc. it may get it from there, meaning WLM 2011 users will see it.

http://profile.live.com/Services/

This post was edited on 11-03-2010 at 05:07 PM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
11-03-2010 05:04 PM
andyo

RE: RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE.
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Either http://profile.live.com/details/edit/name or sign in to an old Messenger version and your old friendly name is there. Depending on which client your contacts use they can see either of those.

I'm using 2009 (14.0.8117.416) and my friend is using the latest 2011. I did change my name there, where you link, into the display name I wanted. It's right there right now. And even before that, I didn't have my full name there, I had a different nickname. Weird stuff really. Some setting must have got stuck or something. I tried to install WLM2011 into another PC, but somehow the installation completely messed up my Win 7 taskbar (icons were gone), and Messenger wouldn't connect. And after uninstalling and doing a system restore to before installation, icons were still gone, and my Firefox profile was reset!  The installation seems really intrusive.

Also, Facebook is the only other service I use, and I never used my full name on FB. Even more so, it's not connected to Live.
11-04-2010 12:55 PM
Yugo

RE: RE: Taking away display names is HORRIBLE.
quote:
I went to my Live profile, and sure enough, the display name I had changed a long time ago was still there. I changed my first/last names just to try, but my friend still sees my full name (with the new display name in parenthesis after it).

A possibility could be that your friend has set your full name in the Hotmail contacts. Since he updated to WLM 2011, that name has been used also in Messenger and "overrides" the one that you set.

I think so because I've noticed that when I browse the profile of some of my friends I also see the full name followed by a fake name in parenthesis. This is because I always used to set the real name of my friends to use it in Windows Live Mail.
11-04-2010 05:20 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: