Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! Translator - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Translation (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! Translator (/showthread.php?tid=11880)

Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 06-24-2003 at 11:33 PM

New version 1.2.32.
Download it here.

See what was new in 1.2.23. (next versions fixed little bugs and added some little improvements)

Known bugs:
The program doesn't work with RTL languages (like arabic or hebrew).
Weird RichEdit bug about comas and dashes (not very frequent).

Updates:
Updated on 28th june 3:08am spanish time, version 1.0.5
Updated on 30th june 21:55 spanish time, version 1.0.7
Updated on 2nd july 1:38 spanish time, version 1.1.8
Updated on 2nd july 1:46 spanish time, version 1.1.9
Updated on 3rd july 19:47 spanish time, version 1.1.11
Updated on 6th july 2:22 spanish time, version 1.1.15
Updated on 9th july 0:14 spanish time, version 1.1.16 (960+ downloads)
Updated on 2nd april 16:49 spanish time, version 1.2.23 (40+ downloads)
Updated on 6th april 17:20 spanish time, version 1.2.24 (290+ downloads)
Updated on 23rd april 17:28 spanish time, version 1.2.28 (65 downloads)
Updated on 25th april 14:27 spanish time, version 1.2.29 (7620+ downloads)

Updated on 29th march 2008, 17:28 spanish time, version 1.2.32

Notes:
If the program gives you an error of a missing file try to donwload this file: MPTF.exe (894 Kb). It's a self-extracting RAR compressed file which contains msvbvm60.dll, Richtx32.ocx and comctl32.ocx. (at least) These files are requiered in order the program can work.

Original post:
I've just made a program to help to translate Plus! I know that someone tried to do one program like this, but I think he didn't make it.

The program should be able to work with Unicode, but atm characters from complex languages like Japanesse aren't show correctly (I don't know if my computer doesn't show them well or if I did something wrong; perhaps this second reason :S). All other Unicode-related things, like work with Unicode or ANSI Lang_*.ini files are supposed to work fine :)

The program is very easy to use and you can select english or spanish interface. I would like you to try and test the program and tell me how it does it work. I've witten it in VB6 so you'll probably need these files: msvbvm60.dll and mscomctl.ocx. If you don't have them and if the admins/mods allow me, I can upload them (about 993 Kb compressed).

One last thing: If you try to open Lang_*.ini files saved in Unicode format, please, use Windows NT/2K/XP. Windows 9x/Me doesn't handle Unicode then you won't get the result you want.

Thank you very much.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 06-25-2003 at 08:22 AM

Well, Choli, your program doesn't show my Traditional Chinese correctly...:) It's Unicode Windows XP here...But so far the interface looks great:D
Well, if you need my help just PM me:)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by jpg050 on 06-25-2003 at 10:57 PM

Nice !!! :) But I can't see ñ and & correctly (Usnig XP)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 06-26-2003 at 01:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
your program doesn't show my Traditional Chinese correctly

I know. I've spent all the day today trying to correct this, but i couldnt do many things :( still trying...
The main problem i have now is how to handle unicode strings and display them in a control. I get the unicode string well but when i assign it to the text box, a strange text is displayed, instead of the right string
quote:
Originally posted by jpg050
But I can't see ñ and & correctly

Sorry. The programm uses a wrong font (i was testing unicode and leave that font by mistake :P) Now i cant upload a fixed version of the program, but i'll do soon (i hope)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 06-26-2003 at 01:08 AM

Well Choli...I don't think VB6 is unicode-compatible...Could you tell me how you accomplish that? Every time I want to make unicode-comptible programs I have to use crappy VB .Net ...:\

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 06-26-2003 at 01:26 AM

Well, this is the 1st time i'm trying to make an unicode-compatible program, and if you're right i won't be able to do that in VB6 (and i don't like VB.NET:() VB6 has functions to convert string from & to unicode, and i'm using the api GetPrivateProfileStringW which is supposed to work with unicode.... Also, if i copy-paste a Traditional Chinese character from word to my control i can see it well but i can't do that in the code (some thing like text4.text=unicode_string)

Anyway, i'll keep trying
* Choli says: go choli go! :P

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 06-26-2003 at 01:53 AM

Brilliant(Y)
Well, Choli, just try to look for other unicode-compatible APIs to do the Text property accessing...maybe SetWindowTextW can do that...I don't know, I'm not very good at API...:S
Just a suggestion:D

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Guido on 06-26-2003 at 07:07 PM

Wdz was going to do a php script for this, but abandoned the idea.

Very good program, but it doesn't show international characters correctly (as it was reported before) -i.e. ñ, á é í ó ú, etc.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 06-27-2003 at 01:20 AM

* Choli is happy :)
Good news: I've also tried SetWindowTextW, Mnjul, but didn't work. Thanks anyway. The problem was with the control. Now, i'll use a RichTextBox that shows well all unicode chars if you manage well it, so i've had to learn RTF specifications (:wall::-@:blah:). I think the program will be finished tomorrow and will handle "unicode" laguages ok (maybe right-to-left ones not very well, but give time to the time). Now it's 3:20am here & yesterday I slept less than 6 hours, so i'm going to bed....:zzz:

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 06-27-2003 at 04:12 AM

Well Choli brilliant again(Y)...you know, we translators can help you with modifying your neat program:D

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by riball on 06-27-2003 at 10:23 AM

Neat program, seems to work very fast...

but i was wondering is it compitable for the next versions of Plus!

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 06-27-2003 at 10:47 AM

I bet the program is very flexible...it could read the .ini files nimbly:D

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Leif on 06-27-2003 at 03:52 PM

Very nice program! Two things, though:
1. It doesn't work on my Win98SE (Swedish version). Gives me "Runtime error '5' Invalid procedure call or argument"
2. Works OK on my WinXP. But does not show our Swedish umlauts correctly.
I am eagerly waiting for the next version ...

:)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 06-28-2003 at 01:06 AM

First of all, I want to thank you, all the translators and all the people who have donwloaded my program, for do that and test it. I really appreciate very much everithing you've said. :)
----
Well. I've just finished a new release of the program (1.0.5). When I finish posting this, I'll update the attachment file of the first post of this thread. Please, read the following:

• The program uses unicode-enabled API's that are found only in Windows NT/2K/XP, so the program won't work under Windows 9x/Me. Lief, you'll have to use it with XP, not 98.
  • The program uses a RichTextBox control, so you'll need, apart from msvbvm60.dll and mscomctl.ocx files, the richtx32.ocx file.
  • The program uses the "Arial Unicode MS" font, which I think it's distributed with Windows (NT/2K/XP). That font has all the Unicode characters, so you'll be able to see international chars like ñ, accents à é ô, umlauts ü ö, and chars from complex languages, like Chinese Simplified. If you don't have that font, you'd better get it :p (it's "only" 22.1 Mb in my WinXP).
  • To display that complex characters and write them back to the Lang_*.ini file, I've implemented a very reduced RTF reader & writer. RTF is a text specification, so I may have done some mistakes. If the program doesn't behave like it should, pealse, run it with some parameter and try to reproduce the error. There will be a debug window that shows the RTF code. I'll apreciate it very much.
  • The RichTextBox control is able to show different fonts, show text in blod, italics, underlined, different sizes, etc... If you want the program to work well do not use copy-paste from text-processors like Word, because when the program will parse the RTF code may write wrong things. And do not try to format any text inside that control, for the same reason. Just type your translation and let the program work.
  • I think that the right-to-left languages (like Arabic) aren't displayed correctly, but i can't do much more without someone who tell me how it sould be shown. The text that displays my program, is what it should be? a bit different? very much different? Also, try to write a text, and send me the RTF code.
  • The program hasn't been tested very much and it can have bugs. Please, don't test it with the original files in Messenger Plus! folder, make back-ups :D
  • quote:
    Originally posted by riball
    but i was wondering is it compitable for the next versions of Plus!

As long as Patchou don't modify the format of the DefaultLg.dat and Lang_*.ini files (which is a standar Windows format), my program should handle well (as well as it does it now) any new version.
  • quote:
    I bet the program is very flexible...it could read the .ini files nimbly

quote:
    Originally posted by riball
    Neat program, seems to work very fast...

Thanks. I only use API functions to read the files, so my program should be as fast as Windows could be.
  • I think I don't forget anything. I hope you'll like the program. Enjoy it!
Once more, thanks to everybody:refuck:
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 06-28-2003 at 02:05 AM

Well, Choli, good news and bad news.
The good is the Chinese words are showed correctly, and while typing Chinese words, it has no problem.
The bad is...After I click on save, the save operation performs wrong. Instead of the correct Chinese words, it writes two bytes of ANSI Code(like ¸Õ ) for one Chinese word.

If you have questions about this just ask me...:D

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mippo on 06-28-2003 at 06:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
The program is very easy to use and you can select english or spanish interface. I would like you to try and test the program and tell me how it does it work. I've witten it in VB6 so you'll probably need these files: msvbvm60.dll and mscomctl.ocx. If you don't have them and if the admins/mods allow me, I can upload them (about 993 Kb compressed).

I'm still waiting, I wanna test it :gfdrin:
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 06-28-2003 at 07:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mippo
quote:

I'm still waiting, I wanna test it :gfdrin:

Mippo you can go to Micro$oft's download center to get Visual Basic 6 Runtime...:)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mippo on 06-28-2003 at 07:17 AM

Oh OK but it isa lot easier to get it here :chrongue:

EDIT: I can only find the VB 5 runtime at M$'... :-(

EDIT: Found it!

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mippo on 06-28-2003 at 07:31 AM

Mnjul the M$ package doesn't include mscomctl.ocx! Where can I find that?

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Leif on 06-28-2003 at 08:33 AM

http://w1.901.telia.com/~u90120786/mscomctl.zip

Sorry! Now it's OK!

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by sock on 06-28-2003 at 08:38 AM

Some suggestions..... :P

A. When reading the values from the files, replace "\n" with a newline and "\t" with a tab. When writing text to the file, do the opposite.

B. Find a way to show the comments for each setting? :p

C. It doesn't seem to work with Hebrew. All the Hebrew letters are replaced with question marks, like this:

BadHook2=??? ?????????? ?? ?????? ???? ????.

I am using Windows XP. I know that this problem happens when I try to enter Unicode text into a non-Unicode field, such as mIRC's windows.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mippo on 06-28-2003 at 08:42 AM

Thnx Leif :bow:! But the URL is actually ..../mscomctl.zip

EDIT: This Windows sure is crappy... Now he's looking for Richtx32.ocx.

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 06-28-2003 at 11:35 AM

quote:
Well, Choli, good news and bad news.
The good is the Chinese words are showed correctly, and while typing Chinese words, it has no problem.
The bad is...After I click on save, the save operation performs wrong. Instead of the correct Chinese words, it writes two bytes of ANSI Code(like ¸Õ ) for one Chinese word.

If you have questions about this just ask me...:D

mmm.... interesting...
Mnjul (and anyone who has similar problems) please, sendme a short text file with the 2 bytes ansi and the chinese word. also please run the program with any argument (goto start > run, type cmd and then CD to the directory and execute msgplustrans.exe any_argument), type some Chinese words and send me the text that apears in the textbox where is usually the english translation)

you can write something like:
your program writes ¸Õ but it should be 安
the rtf code is {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial Unicode MS;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\lang3082\f0\fs18\u23433?
\par }

[Edit]
Where i wrote if should be ... put your chinese word, not the code (i think these forums doesn't allow me to put that chinese words)
[/edit]

Please, save that text file in unicode (like the Lang_*.ini files are) and send it to me via PM, via mail or posting it here. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by sock
A. When reading the values from the files, replace "\n" with a newline and "\t" with a tab. When writing text to the file, do the opposite.
B. Find a way to show the comments for each setting?
C. It doesn't seem to work with Hebrew. All the Hebrew letters are replaced with question marks, like this:

A. -> Ok, i'll try to implement that, and also the underlined -> &
B. -> That's a bit more complex because the way I use to read the files is using a Windows API that skips the comments. Anyway, i'll also try.
C. -> Hebrew is a right-to-left language, isn't it? Please, sock, do the same as i told Mnjul, and also try writing some text in Word and copy-paste to my program and send it too. A little image showing what shows my program and what shows word (as it should be) is also wellcomed.

quote:
This Windows sure is crappy... Now he's looking for Richtx32.ocx

If you can't find it, PM me or email me and I'll send it to you
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 06-28-2003 at 11:40 AM

OK Choli...I'll do it after my dinner..it's 7:40 pm here and i just stopped myself from studying:P

[edit]And Choli, if you want to get Chinese words shown here, you may have to change your browser encode to Traditional Chinese(Big-5) first...:D[/edit]

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by riball on 06-28-2003 at 12:03 PM

As a reply on my question

Cholli I just tested it, and it looks like its working...

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 06-28-2003 at 01:01 PM

OK Choli, I send my file to you...:)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by sock on 06-29-2003 at 05:00 PM

Okay, last time I created a new target file and it wasn't Unicode.

This time I used a Unicode file, so I'm not getting question marks now, but now I am getting the same weird characters as Mnjul. This only happens when I save some value, the specific value is saved as those characters. It looks as if you are trying to put ASCII into Unicode, without converting it to Unicode first. Weird stuff.

Also, when I change the editbox to right-align mode, it doesn't look like it should (like it does in Notepad or Word). And then when I move to another value, it asks me if I want to save the value, but I only changed the text alignment, I didn't edit the text! :-o

Being a software developer sucks, eh? :P

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Guido on 06-29-2003 at 05:05 PM

Hmmm your program has Windows' about box? :dodgy:

quote:
Microsoft® Carlos Domingo Más (Choli)
Copyright 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation

:lol:
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 06-29-2003 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Okay, last time I created a new target file and it wasn't Unicode.

This time I used a Unicode file, so I'm not getting question marks now, but now I am getting the same weird characters as Mnjul. This only happens when I save some value, the specific value is saved as those characters. It looks as if you are trying to put ASCII into Unicode, without converting it to Unicode first. Weird stuff.

I've got a new version that i'd like to send to you so you can test it. I sent it to Mnjul but still don't know if it works (Mnjul, did you recieve my emails? i'm not sure if i send them to the right address)So, sock, can I send that version to you? If you allow me (i don't want spam people emails), send me you address via PM. Thanks.
quote:
Also, when I change the editbox to right-align mode, it doesn't look like it should (like it does in Notepad or Word). And then when I move to another value, it asks me if I want to save the value, but I only changed the text alignment, I didn't edit the text! :-o

How do you do that? And note that every time the editbox (richtextbox, in fact) is changed (change event) my program assumes that a text modification has been done.
quote:
Being a software developer sucks, eh? :P

:lol: Well, I'm studing for that. It can be a posible future to me.
quote:
Originally posted by gfd
Hmmm your program has Windows' about box?

Why not? The ShellAbout API is a very nice one :gfdrin:
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 06-30-2003 at 06:26 AM

I've replied your mail, Choli. Bad news...:(

RE: RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by sock on 06-30-2003 at 10:42 AM

quote:
I've got a new version that i'd like to send to you so you can test it. I sent it to Mnjul but still don't know if it works (Mnjul, did you recieve my emails? i'm not sure if i send them to the right address)So, sock, can I send that version to you? If you allow me (i don't want spam people emails), send me you address via PM. Thanks.

I think my Email is b0rked. :-/

* sock slaps his sysadmin around a bit with a large trout.

Humm... looks like someone b0rked the local forwarder...... :-/ I hafta get that fixed.... :(

Anycow.... could you please upload it anywhere? :)

quote:
quote:

How do you do that? And note that every time the editbox (richtextbox, in fact) is changed (change event) my program assumes that a text modification has been done.

Ctrl+Shift on the right side of the keyboard to align it to the right, and Ctrl+Shift on the left side to align it back to the left. This is not supposed to change the text in any way, just align the text lines to a different side of the editbox. Something weird is going on.

Okay, I did some testing and changing the alignment does NOT change the text string. However, it still triggers that "change event" of yours for some reason.... :(

And now I also see that the editbox does not display complex Hebrew strings correctly (ie., strings that have both English and Hebrew characters), whether aligned to the left or the right. What I mean by "correctly" is how they are displayed in any other Microsoft program. Blah.... I guess you need to make it support RTL somehow..... :-/

* sock slaps Hebrew around a bit with a large trout.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 06-30-2003 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Okay, I did some testing and changing the alignment does NOT change the text string. However, it still triggers that "change event" of yours for some reason.... :(

The text that you can see in the control isn't changed but the RTF code that represents that text is. The RTF code includes the text of the control and also some information about fonts, sizes, formating (blod, italics, ...), codepages, right-to-left information, etc... So a change in the alignment changes the RTF code, so triggers the change event. I know there is a way to avoid this but just now i can't remember...
* Choli slaps Choli around a bit with a large trout.
quote:
And now I also see that the editbox does not display complex Hebrew strings correctly (ie., strings that have both English and Hebrew characters), whether aligned to the left or the right. What I mean by "correctly" is how they are displayed in any other Microsoft program.

Are strings with only Hebrew chars displayed ok? What is the difference between the string that the control shows and what it should be? If you type, is the text showed ok?
quote:
Blah.... I guess you need to make it support RTL somehow..... :-/

I know, but is a bit complex. It isn't as easy as put right alignemt (or is it?). I'd like first make the program work with complex languages (like Chinese) but left to right ones.
* Choli slaps RTL languages around a bit with a large trout.

Well, this afternoon after I recieved the Mnjul's mail, I've been searching for some thing to solve the problem with the save code (it didn't work well). I've found interesting things, but i also found a bug in my code, so I preferred change the code.
The problem was that the RichTextBox, when saving, returned non-unicode codes for each character (codes relatives to the character set used by each language), so when I write them to the Lang_*.ini,  strange charactes were shown. I think that is solved now (and if not, I'll have to write some extra code :()

I'm going to put a new version at the first post, but consider it as a beta because each time you save you’ll get a messagebox like "Now, i think your text should have been written OK" or "Your text may have been written wrong."

So, please Mnjul test again the new version (thanks for your patience) and sock, try it too and tell me what goes wrong (I assume it won't work well :))

Also remember running the program in "debug mode" (goto start > run, type cmd, change to the folder where the prog is (CD) and run the program with an argument: MsgPlusTrans.exe put what you want here). Once in debug mode, the RTF code can be very usefull to me.

Thanks for all.
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 07-01-2003 at 01:24 AM

Good News! It now works very correctly:gfdrin:
The RTF Code isn't correct when I type Chinese words, but it becomes correct automatically after I save them:D

Congrats, Choli:D

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Guido on 07-01-2003 at 01:39 AM

Sock must be jealous :gfdrin:.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Chrono on 07-01-2003 at 06:08 AM

Uhmmm no win 98 ? :cry:

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by cool_myll on 07-01-2003 at 01:03 PM

Will this program work with the new messenger plus?

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by sock on 07-01-2003 at 01:08 PM

Yes. It uses the generic form of the language .ini file.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by cool_myll on 07-01-2003 at 01:09 PM

Thanks i will translate to greek!

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by sock on 07-01-2003 at 01:29 PM

quote:
quote:
And now I also see that the editbox does not display complex Hebrew strings correctly (ie., strings that have both English and Hebrew characters), whether aligned to the left or the right. What I mean by "correctly" is how they are displayed in any other Microsoft program.

Are strings with only Hebrew chars displayed ok? What is the difference between the string that the control shows and what it should be? If you type, is the text showed ok?

The Hebrew letters and words appears okay (but not when I save them). The order of the words gets mixed up whenever there's some sign in the text, like a period or a colon. It looks messy. :-/

So the only way it would appear as it should is when I type Hebrew characters and spaces only. It looks different than in Microsoft programs both in left-alignment and right-alignment.

quote:
quote:
Blah.... I guess you need to make it support RTL somehow..... :-/

I know, but is a bit complex. It isn't as easy as put right alignemt (or is it?). I'd like first make the program work with complex languages (like Chinese) but left to right ones.
* Choli slaps RTL languages around a bit with a large trout.

* sock slaps RTL languages around a bit with a large trout.

I had no change with the new Beta.... I got the "Your text may have been written wrong." message..... it was indeed written wrong. ;)

Debug mode? :P Hmmm... :P

Showed this on startup:

{\rtf1\fbidis\ansi\ansicpg1255\deff0\deflang1037{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Arial Unicode MS;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\ltrpar\f0\fs20
\par }

The value I tested:

{\rtf1\fbidis\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset177 Arial Unicode MS;}{\f1\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial Unicode MS;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\ltrpar\lang1037\f0\rtlch\fs18\'e4\f1\ltrch -DLL Hook \f0\rtlch\'f9\'ec \f1\ltrch !Messenger Plus \f0\rtlch\'e7\'f1\'f8 \'e0\'e5 \'f4\'e2\'e5\'ed\f1\ltrch . \f0\rtlch\'f0\'e0 \'e4\'fa\'f7\'ef \'ee\'e7\'e3\'f9 \'e0\'fa \'e4\'fa\'eb\'f0\'e4\f1\ltrch .
\par }

Again, the text looks weird when aligned to either side.
When aligned to the right, the code changes to this:

{\rtf1\fbidis\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset177 Arial Unicode MS;}{\f1\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial Unicode MS;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\rtlpar\qr\lang1037\f0\rtlch\fs18\'e4\f1\ltrch -DLL Hook \f0\rtlch\'f9\'ec \f1\ltrch !Messenger Plus \f0\rtlch\'e7\'f1\'f8 \'e0\'e5 \'f4\'e2\'e5\'ed\f1\ltrch . \f0\rtlch\'f0\'e0 \'e4\'fa\'f7\'ef \'ee\'e7\'e3\'f9 \'e0\'fa \'e4\'fa\'eb\'f0\'e4\f1\ltrch .
\par }

And it looks weird too, same kind of weirdness as the left align.
It generally looks as it should, however it's really uncomfortable.

This is how it looks after I save (left-aligned):

{\rtf1\fbidis\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial Unicode MS;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\ltrpar\lang1037\f0\fs18\'e4\'f9\'ec \'e7\'f1\'f8 \'e0\'e5 \'f4\'e2\'e5\'ed\'f0\'e0 \'e4\'fa\'f7\'ef \'ee\'e7\'e3\'f9 \'e0\'fa \'e4\'fa\'eb\'f0\'e4
\par }

The text looks like it has been converted into ASCII.... weird latin letters both in the .ini file and in the program's display. I got that "Text may have been saved incorrectly" error.

And finally, this is the same weird letter text after I right-align it:

{\rtf1\fbidis\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial Unicode MS;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\rtlpar\qr\lang1037\f0\fs18\'e4\'f9\'ec \'e7\'f1\'f8 \'e0\'e5 \'f4\'e2\'e5\'ed\'f0\'e0 \'e4\'fa\'f7\'ef \'ee\'e7\'e3\'f9 \'e0\'fa \'e4\'fa\'eb\'f0\'e4
\par }

I hope you find a way to fix it..... :P
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-01-2003 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Good News! It now works very correctly:gfdrin:

I'm very glad to read this :banana:
quote:
The RTF Code isn't correct when I type Chinese words, but it becomes correct automatically after I save them:D

Yes, I convert the codes to unicode when saving, not every key press. I thinks it's better like that and if while typing you don't see any error, I'll leave that as it is now.
quote:
Congrats, Choli:D

Thanks [Image: headbang.gif]

quote:
Originally posted by gfd
Sock must be jealous

Support for RTL languages come now :gfdrin:

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Uhmmm no win 98 ?

No. Win98 doesn't have unicode-enabled APIs so my program can't work well, but perhaps some easy languages (english, spanish, italian, french, ...) will be suported in the next release (maybe this night) (y lo hago por ti, que sé que eres un traductor)

quote:
Originally posted by cool_myll
Will this program work with the new messenger plus?

Of course! I said that in other post.[Image: beer1.gif]

* Choli says: 'And now comes the sock's post....'

quote:
I hope you find a way to fix it..... :p

Well, sock, I'll do my best posible to make it RTL compatible. I'll keep you informed about how this is going. :D
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mippo on 07-01-2003 at 05:10 PM

Sock's 'Anycow' :rofl::rofl: I like it :happy:

RE: RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by sock on 07-01-2003 at 08:06 PM

quote:
* Choli says: 'And now comes the sock's post....'

quote:
I hope you find a way to fix it..... :p

Well, sock, I'll do my best possible to make it RTL compatible. I'll keep you informed about how this is going. :D

Okie, have fun. :p

BTW......... in your signature............ the "e" in the equation should be uppercase..... ie. E = mc². And of course the "E" and "S" should be uppercase too in the country names...... :P  /me being picky again. :-/

quote:
Sock's 'Anycow' :lol::lol: I like it :happy:

:banana: :p

:spam:
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-01-2003 at 11:38 PM

New version: 1.1.8
Edit:
very small error corrected: version 1.1.9
/Edit
I'll try to be brief:

• New version 1.1.8. Features:
  • version 1.1.9
  • Works well with all letf-to-rigth languages (English, Spanish, Deutch, Chinese, ...) if you use Windows NT/2000/XP
  • Doesn't work (yet) with right-to-left ones (Hebrew, Arabic, ...) in any Windows
  • Works with Windows 95/98/Me (even with Windows 3.1 if you have the 32-bit extensions (I'm not sure)), but "unicode" languages like Arabic, Chinese, Greek, Russian, ... won't be well processed. Only "ansi" languages (the ones that use the code page 1252) like Spanish, French, Deutch, ... will work well (and I'm not sure)
  • Arguments accepted by my program:
    • esp spa español spanish espanol
    • eng ing english ingles inglés guiri
    • debug debuging dbg deb
    • nodebug nodebuging nodbg nodeb
    • uni unicode
    • nouni nounicode
    Try to figure out the meaning of each one. You can use several together. You also can make a link (direct access) to the exe, and put in the link the arguments you want.
  • As always, when I post this, I'll update the file at the top of the thread.
  • I've changed some things. I hope the program works like last version, but I may have deleted some thing by mistake. Let me know in that case.
Thanks everybody :);)
quote:
Okie, have fun.

Sure... :P
quote:
BTW......... in your signature............ the "e" in the equation should be uppercase..... ie. E = mc². And of course the "E" and "S" should be uppercase too in the country names......   /me being petty again.

Yes, you're right.
* Choli goes to change his signature
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Guido on 07-02-2003 at 02:13 AM

quote:
You also can make a link (direct access) to the exe, and put in the link the arguments you want.
THe english translation in Windows is shortcuts :)

And btw, i'm just being picky... but make an xp theme manifest :refuck:
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 07-02-2003 at 02:18 AM

Choli do you need the bas module file? I have one:rolleyes:

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-02-2003 at 04:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gfd
THe english translation in Windows is shortcuts :)

:o Ohh!! of course!, i'm silly... :wall: I knew that 'direct access' wasn't the right translation but couldn't remember 'shortcut' :S

quote:
Choli do you need the bas module file? I have one

:| eh? Which file are you talking about?
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 07-02-2003 at 04:31 PM

The moudle file that will dynamically create a .manifast file for XP-ish Visual Style gfd mentioned above ...or you can pack it with your program statically too:)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-02-2003 at 04:58 PM

Ok, send it to me. But, sometimes (like now) i don't understand what people mean :S Please, explain (or translate) the meaning of:

quote:
And btw, i'm just being picky... but make an xp theme manifest

quote:
a .manifast file for XP-ish Visual Style gfd mentioned above

what is that?

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 07-02-2003 at 06:02 PM

Any program(maybe only VB program...I am not sure of other program languages) without its .manifast refrence resource has only the classical visual style under windows XP...you have to create a [exe file name.exe].manifast in the same directory as your program is in...
Currently most programs include their .manifast file in them as  resources, like Plus!, or most official Windows programs(Sorry, I res-hacked.) I don't know if in VB we can make it in that way...
And Choli, I'll send you the bas file as well as a .manifast simple tomorrow(7 or 8 hrs later), or you can try to do a search on google:)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-02-2003 at 10:59 PM

You know what? In Spain there is a proverb that says: "No te acostarás sin saber una cosa más", ie: "You won't go to bed without learning anything else" The meaning is that everyday a new thing is learnt. And that's what happened to /me. I've always though that to get WinXP style controls I should call any API like SetWindowsLong but not, it seems easier. And now I can have that wonderful controls within VB6 :D

* Choli is going to test some things with WinXP styles and write some code so the new texts to be translated are better handled. Also he's trying to solve the RTL problem ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 07-03-2003 at 03:02 AM

So you don't need my file?:rolleyes:
OK:gfdrin:

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mippo on 07-03-2003 at 07:26 AM

Euh... it says 'Runtime Error 5' on my Win98SE machine when I select two language files (the file that I'm going to save to is empty). Is this a bug or a known issue?

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by paperless on 07-03-2003 at 02:00 PM

the program gives me an error of a missing file.. :O

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by ballack15 on 07-03-2003 at 02:15 PM

i search the german language, for the version 2.20

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 07-03-2003 at 02:18 PM

Choli, I suggest you upload a setup file, besides the singal program .exe file. Users without Visual Basic may encounter file missing problem.

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-03-2003 at 04:44 PM

quote:
So you don't need my file?:rolleyes:
OK:gfdrin:

Oh yes, please send it to me. Although I think my program will show WinXP styles well, I'd like to see your file. Please send it.

quote:
Euh... it says 'Runtime Error 5' on my Win98SE machine when I select two language files (the file that I'm going to save to is empty). Is this a bug or a known issue?

Well, at first Windows 9x/Me isn't supported but I've made some changes to support some languages (Spanish, French, and few more) so you should use Windows NT/2K/XP.
And about the error... I think that the language file you are trying to open (as if it was DefaultLg.dat) contains a line without the equal ("=") sign. That is due to a bad translation of that file (the translator of that file put a carriage return into a value). In the next version that will be fixed, but if not... don't try to open language files instead of DefaultLg.dat.
BTW, there is no problem is you select an empty or inexistent file to save, but it's much better to put (manually) the sections [FileInfo] and [Font] (if reqiuered) before using the prog. That way you won't get wrong saved files if using complex languages.

quote:
Originally posted by PT_KiD
the program gives me an error of a missing file..

The program requieres the Visual Basic 6 RunTime files.:o

quote:
Choli, I suggest you upload a setup file, besides the singal program .exe file. Users without Visual Basic may encounter file missing problem.

Well but I won't upload here because it's very large. I'll put the link on the first post when it'll be ready (I think no more 1 hour later).(o)

Edit:
Updated the program. at the first post. Also put there a link to the requiered files (VB runtime). If any other file is requiered, let me know and I'll update them. Mippo's bug should be corrected now. The program should have XP style (in XP, of course :refuck:). Some minor things have been corrected and/or improved. And RTL languages.... well, I've changed something. The are not saved correctly but are they shown well? Wiht right-alignment? left-alignment? RTL languages are harder to be supported than I imagined.
* Choli slaps RTL languages again :P around a bit with a large trout.
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by ^ASM^ on 07-03-2003 at 08:02 PM

Great program!! Although I give a few recommendations...

1.- Instead of setting an item to english as default when it doesn't exist, and saving it that way, leave it blank so it is easier to see what translations are missing.

2.- Or even better, in the left where there are all the items to translate, set the item on bold if it isn't set to it's translation yet. This helps a lot for new versions of Plus that only need updates!

All in all this is a great program. good job!

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by sock on 07-03-2003 at 11:15 PM

Hebrew is worse now...... if it was inconvinient to work with before, it is impossible now. :)
The letters show up fine, however everything goes backwards, the letters and the words (reverse order of the entire string). Very strange. :-/

And I'm still waiting for that implementation of \n, \t and &.... :p

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mippo on 07-04-2003 at 07:15 AM

OK, the runtime error 5 is gone now.

I open DefaultLg.dat and another file (empty). I click on a string. Nothing but "?????????????". I click another string and it says first "You have changed something, would you like to save it now?" and I've changed nothing! Then it goes to the other string, again "???????????????" or sometimes "??????4?????" or "??????????5?". Has this something to do with the Unicode? :S

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-05-2003 at 02:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ^ASM^
1.- Instead of setting an item to english as default when it doesn't exist, and saving it that way, leave it blank so it is easier to see what translations are missing.
2.- Or even better, in the left where there are all the items to translate, set the item on bold if it isn't set to it's translation yet. This helps a lot for new versions of Plus that only need updates!

Ok (Y)
quote:
Hebrew is worse now...... if it was inconvinient to work with before, it is impossible now.

When you said the text was wrong, i didn't know what was wrong, so i was testing:S
quote:
The letters show up fine, however everything goes backwards, the letters and the words (reverse order of the entire string). Very strange.

reverse all the string or only the parts of the string in Hebrew?
the order of the letters or of the words?
quote:
And I'm still waiting for that implementation of \n, \t and &....

sometimes \n should be \r\n and so I won't implement \n (i don't know when it should be \n or \r\n
\t and & is comming...
quote:
I open DefaultLg.dat and another file (empty). I click on a string. Nothing but "?????????????". I click another string and it says first "You have changed something, would you like to save it now?" and I've changed nothing!

That's because the file was empty and there are some text written in the translation box. That won't happen in the next release, because I'll do what ^ASM^said
quote:
Then it goes to the other string, again "???????????????" or sometimes "??????4?????" or "??????????5?". Has this something to do with the Unicode?
Yes, I'm sorry, but win98 doesn't handle unicode so it shows the default character for a unable-to-be-displayed unicode character: "?"

This time there isn't any new version. I was doing a program to Install theMessenger Plus! Tab. Don't worry, soon there will be.
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Guido on 07-05-2003 at 03:17 AM

quote:
OK, the runtime error 5 is gone now.
Heh, you get that in all your programs, choli...! ;)

:lol:
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by sock on 07-05-2003 at 02:36 PM

quote:
When you said the text was wrong, i didn't know what was wrong, so i was testing:S
reverse all the string or only the parts of the string in Hebrew?
the order of the letters or of the words?

Just the Hebrew substrings. They're completely reversed, so "hello world" becomes "dlrow olleh". :p

Hmmm..... Now when the text is aligned to the left, it looks exactly like it lookd in Notepad. Well, all the Hebrew text is reversed, but it's still some progress. ;)

Right-alignment is still not good, though.... ie. signs don't appear where they should (like in Notepad), like it has always been. Yes, the Hebrew is reversed here too, but I am talking about how it looks as compared to Notepad.

You can drop this if you want, I am fine with editing the .ini files manually. :p
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-06-2003 at 12:31 AM

Again, new version (and probably the final one)
Version 1.1.15
Features:

• ^ASM^ suggestion: In the left, where all the items to be transated are, I've added an icon. If you see a green arrow, the item is in the translated Lang_*.ini file or all the keys in the section are in the Lang_*.ini file. If there is a red X, the item is not in the Lang_*.ini file (let's say, a new item of a new version) or the section has any item not present at the Lang_*.ini file. Well, it's better to see it than trying to undestand my english:P

• sock suggestion: Implemented \t and & tags (it's impossible implement \n). When reading from Lang_*.ini files, those tags are converted into a real tab and an underlined character. When saving, the opposite thing is done. Don't expect that this conversion is done in real time while typing :type: Also, be careful if you type next to a underlined character: more than one character may leave underlined.

• RTL languages: Well, I've done all I know and more to support RTL languages, but can't do more (also VB 6 doesn't offer all I'd like) :'( I've implemented some code to show those languages correctly (as sock said in his last post). I'm not sure that is the right way but I tried. sock, I'm very sorry about it: my program can't handle RTL languages correctly. I'd have liked (english expression?) to accomplish that, be sure of that (and if one day I know how to do that, I'll do). I've not implemented the \t and & tags in RTL languages :| and saving will not work (there are a lot of handicaps when implementig the saving function with RTL).

• I think the program is finished now unless new bugs are found or suggestions are said. So you can donwload it from the 1st post and use it with the new forthcoming version of :plus2:.20. I hope you enjoy it.

• Again, thanks to everybody who helped me to make this program. :bow: :refuck:

quote:
Originally posted by gfd
quote:
runtime error 5
Heh, you get that in all your programs, choli...!

LOL :lol:
:$yes... bad arguments passed to functions

quote:
You can drop this if you want, I am fine with editing the .ini files manually

That wasn't my intention but I can't do anything else. Although you say you're fine editing the files manually, I'm not feeling good about that :(
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by sock on 07-06-2003 at 12:45 AM

quote:
quote:
You can drop this if you want, I am fine with editing the .ini files manually

That wasn't my intention but I can't do anything else. Although you say you're fine editing the files manually, I'm not feeling good about that :(

Naaaaaah it's alright, I know how RTL languages tend to be a pain in the arse for software developers...... even Patchou had to struggle with it until it finally worked. :p Besides, there's a very little number of RTL languages out there, right? :)

And it's not like it's a high-end program, it's just a tool...... so..... it's cool. :D

Cheers for making this thing! (Y) :clap: :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by carps4ever on 07-06-2003 at 11:03 AM

there is an DLL missing!

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mippo on 07-06-2003 at 12:48 PM

Download the DLL and OCX package then!

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-07-2003 at 12:21 AM

BTW, can this thread be sticky, please :bow: ? I think my program may be interesting for translators, so if it's sticky all translators will see it. Admins/Mods... pleaseeee :P

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Chrono on 07-07-2003 at 04:57 AM

Yeah, good idea (Y)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Toshiro on 07-07-2003 at 03:22 PM

This is a very good program (Y). I'm using it for the french translation.

But if I can make a suggestion, a search tool would be very useful to search a sentence or a word.

Thank you for your work.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-07-2003 at 10:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Toshiro
This is a very good program . I'm using it for the french translation.

But if I can make a suggestion, a search tool would be very useful to search a sentence or a word.

Thank you for your work.

That's a bit complex because of the way my program works and that kind of tool would be very expensive (in time, I mean, it'll take a lot of time). I'm afraid you'll have to use notepad to search for a string :/
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Chrono on 07-08-2003 at 02:07 AM

Y funciona con los caracteres españoles ? Ñáéíóú  ?

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-08-2003 at 02:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Y funciona con los caracteres españoles ? Ñáéíóú  ?

Sorry, this should be in english, but Chrono asked in spanish. It's only about spanish chars (that are very well supported by my program)
Acaso lo dudabas (siendo yo español)? Si funciona con caracteres chinos, pues con los españoles aun más :refuck:
A no ser por un pequeño fallo en la fuente, hubiera funcionado con los caracteres españoles desde la primera version que puse.
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by cool_myll on 07-08-2003 at 10:58 AM

run time error again

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 07-08-2003 at 12:34 PM

Choli:
Well, I'm brining you good news, don't worry:P
I was doing translation work and hoooooo, your program really helped that I didn't have to open my ugly notepad or wordpad...:)
(Y)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-08-2003 at 04:18 PM

quote:
run time error again

Can you describe the error? Which error number? 5? Try to say how to reproduce the error, your version of Windows etc...

quote:
Originally posted by Mnujl
Choli:
Well, I'm brining you good news, don't worry

ufff...
quote:
I was doing translation work and hoooooo, your program really helped that I didn't have to open my ugly notepad or wordpad...

I'm very happy of reading this :)

I'm preparing a new version. Only little changes: Tha ability of choose between show \t and & or show tabs and underlined (jpg050's suggestion). I think there is a little bug with showing & as underlined -> I'll fix it. Also, a character count may be implemented, so you vcan check if the translated text is larger than the original one.
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by cool_myll on 07-08-2003 at 05:48 PM

run time error 7 out of memory
win xp prof sp1

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-08-2003 at 10:33 PM

Very important update!! Version 1.1.16 Donwload at the 1st post!!!

There was a bug in last version (1.1.15): When reading a value with &, the text were shown with the letter underlined, but when saving the & was lost!! So if you used it for translating this new version of Plus! check all your new translations because a lot of & can be missing. That was due to the method which I use to support complex languages like Chinesse. Both things (showing the underlined and saving in those languages) can't be supported at the same time, so I decided remove the underlined and the tabs.

Firstly I wanted to add an option to choose which to do (show & or not). But when I saw the bug, I only could do what I've expained before. Sorry if I've made you any handicap :(

But that isn't the only difference. I've added a character counter. It'll show how many characters has the english version and how many has yours. Then you can calculate (aprox.) if your text will fill. The count isn't exact (it counts \n \t \r %i %s as 2 characters and & as one), but it can help you.

Also, the two boxes where the texts are displayed have been resized to show more lines (up to 5 at the same time) and the use the same font (that Arial Unicode MS) so it looks better and you can also see what text is longer.

quote:
run time error 7 out of memory
win xp prof sp1

How do you get that? If you don't explain your problem more I won't be able to do anything :S Also try running the program in debug mode (see my previous posts in this thread) :)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Animefan on 07-10-2003 at 10:57 AM

I got the Runtime error 7 to!
I just put the files in a folder (the msgplustrans.exe and the DLL files) and then when I open it, it says: Runtime error 7
Out of money!

Whats wrong!? :S

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by jpg050 on 07-10-2003 at 11:27 AM

Out of money? Insert 25 cents xD

I understand its out of memory, try to see if there are no conflcting dlls in windows or windows \system or windows\system32 or whatever... Don't think it's a real memory leak (it could be, though).

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-10-2003 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Animefan
I got the Runtime error 7 to!
I just put the files in a folder (the msgplustrans.exe and the DLL files) and then when I open it, it says: Runtime error 7
Out of money!

Whats wrong!?

quote:
Originally posted by jpg050
Out of money? Insert 25 cents xD

I understand its out of memory, try to see if there are no conflcting dlls in windows or windows \system or windows\system32 or whatever... Don't think it's a real memory leak (it could be, though).

Yes, the problem is that: you have to insert 25 cents more :)... No, it's a joke. I really don't konw what's wrong : I'm not able to get that error even putting the dlls in the same folder of msgplustrans.exe (i also have them in windows\system32). Perhaps there is a conflict as jpg050 said. Try running the program without the dlls if you have them in your system folder.

I've also checked the code but didn't see anything strange. All seems to be right. I don't reserve dynamic memory neither do recursive calls.

Sorry, but I can't help you much more. If I get how to solve that, I'll fix it. :/
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by cool_myll on 07-10-2003 at 07:00 PM

run time error 7 continiue

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Anio_pke on 08-01-2003 at 11:08 AM

I use the program to translate into galizian and I don't see any error.
My windows is XP.

Yo use el programa para traducir al gallego y no detecte ningún error.
Mi windows es el XP

7 language contextual translation RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by dflores on 08-04-2003 at 01:03 PM

This is good news. By the way.. i founf the other add-on for messenger called Translation and Speech studio for messenger. If seems to offer full fledged translation and other features. Do check it out at:

VIVOSTUDIO

regards,
dino

RE: 7 language contextual translation RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 08-04-2003 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dflores
This is good news. By the way.. i founf the other add-on for messenger called Translation and Speech studio for messenger. If seems to offer full fledged translation and other features. Do check it out at:

VIVOSTUDIO

regards,
dino

My program doesn't do what Translation and Speech studio for messenger does. It helps to translate Messenger Plus! in a quicker way than opening the ini files in notepad, not to translate a conversation.
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Ice Queen on 08-04-2003 at 07:36 PM

hey choli that translator does not work at least for me that is

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 08-04-2003 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ice Queen
hey choli that translator does not work at least for me that is

Which one? Mine or the one that dflores said? If it's mine, what do you get wrong?
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Ice Queen on 08-04-2003 at 07:50 PM

urs it wont open tell me it cant work with my operating system

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 08-04-2003 at 08:29 PM

Are you using Windows 9x or ME? In that case, you get a message warning you that the program may not work properly, but you should see the main window.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by built on 10-18-2003 at 03:10 PM

it error with thai language I can see and type thai but after i saved. all i edited turn into alien language. this is critical bug!!

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Tochjo on 10-18-2003 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by built
it error with thai language I can see and type thai but after i saved. all i edited turn into alien language. this is critical bug!!
Do you save your file in Unicode?
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by built on 10-18-2003 at 04:03 PM

Yes in unicode

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 10-18-2003 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Can you describe a bit more your problem? What Operating System are you using?
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by built on 10-19-2003 at 05:36 PM

i use winxpsp1. the problem is this program can read thai language. can type thai language. but when i save progress. all thai language that i typed turn into alien language. sorry if my english so bad

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 10-19-2003 at 06:45 PM

quote:
i use winxpsp1. the problem is this program can read thai language. can type thai language. but when i save progress. all thai language that i typed turn into alien language. sorry if my english so bad
:dodgy: Sounds strange. Thai is a language that it's written from left to right, isn't? Well, in that case it should work. Can you send me an original Thai file, the file with "alien" text and a file with what it should be there?
Also try running the program in debug mode (see my previous posts in this thread to know how to do it) and tell me if it says all goes OK  and the RTF code
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Anio_pke on 11-09-2003 at 07:03 PM

¿¿¿Choli tu programa funciona con la version 2.51.68???

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Tochjo on 11-09-2003 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anio17
The program works with all kind of versions; you have to open the English file and your language file and you can start translating :)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 11-09-2003 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anio17
quote:
Translation:
Choli, doues your program work with 2.51.68?

Yes, it works, as Tochjo said. Just be sure you set
[FileInfo]
CompatibilityLevel=2062

Si, funciona con todas las versiones del plus 2. Solo ten cuidado y asegurate de que pones en el CompatibilityLevel 2062, dentro de la seccion [FileInfo]
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by [Hobboe] on 11-22-2003 at 03:34 PM

I think that it was great that They Have tanslated it like that

Keep up the good work Patchou

Thx Patchou

Vantage a.k.a [Hobboe]

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator (suggestion) by CookieRevised on 12-06-2003 at 05:18 PM

Make a button where you can switch the "original file" with "translated file"... This is very handy if you want to check if your translation has redundend keys which can be removed....

Also maybe change "Original English file" into just "Original File"; I use the program to compare translations with other translations, not neccessarly  (wrong spelling :p) with the original English file...

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 12-06-2003 at 06:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Make a button where you can switch the "original file" with "translated file"... This is very handy if you want to check if your translation has redundend keys which can be removed....

I was thinking about that and (if I have time) this Xmas I'll do something to check keys that there aren't at the original traslation so you can delete them. It'll be something easier than a switch button.
quote:
Also maybe change "Original English file" into just "Original File"; I use the program to compare translations with other translations, not neccessarly  (wrong spelling :p) with the original English file...
mmm... you are supposed to open the original english file :P Well, as Patchou whould said: it's a minimal cosmetic glitch ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 12-06-2003 at 08:30 PM

;)

Another minor GUI glitch:
Two exact the same lines are wrapped differently in the two windows:
[Image: attachment.php?tid=11880&pid=172770]

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 12-06-2003 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Another minor GUI glitch:
Two exact the same lines are wrapped differently in the two windows:

:O That's not my fault. The two windows are not the same control so each one wraps the words in a different way :P

btw, the fact that they're different controls is why you shouldn't open other files than DefaultLg.dat in Original english file field. You can open english, deutch, spanish... files but if you open a complex language (like chinese) file you won't see the real chinese characters (try to open Lang_Chinese Traditional.ini in both and you'll see the diference)

btw2, I'll proabably change those controls and put both the same. That way the words will be wrapped the same way and you'll be able to open (correctly) any file as original language :banana:
Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 by Choli on 04-02-2004 at 02:46 PM

I've released a new version: 1.2.23

[*]Now, it uses the same control for both windows so the same text will be wrapped the same way. Also, you can now open any translated file (even a chinesse one) as the original file. That can be useful if you want to compare 2 translations.

[*]The sections and keys of the tree view, at the left, have 3 icons:

• [Image: flecha.bmp] means the key/section is in both the original and translated files.
  • [Image: cruz.bmp] means the key is not in the translated file. If it's in a sections, it means the sections has keys that aren't in the translated file or that the whole section is missing.
  • [Image: admiracion.bmp] means the key is not in the original file (and then it can be deleted). If it's in a section means that it has keys that aren't in the original file or that the whole section isn't in the original file.

[*]If you right-click on a section or key at the tree view, a menu pops up. Depending on if the section/key is or not in both or only one of the files (original/translated), the menu shows diferent entries. You can use them to delete unused keys (with [Image: admiracion.bmp]), create missing ones (with [Image: cruz.bmp]), delete a whole section, etc...

[*]Now, when you select both files, the program should load them faster than in the previous version.

I hope these new improvments will be useful to you when have to translate the new 3rd version of PLus!. Download it from the 1st post.

Enjoy ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by _BassReFLeX_ on 04-02-2004 at 04:14 PM

Hi Choli !...

I downloaded this new version... all I got is :

Runtime error: '339'
Richtx32.ocx and one of its depencies are invalid ... bla bla

However.. I would like to propose you something. Make your translator's ability to make a new line in .ini file not just replace. Because when I wanted to translate a Lang.ini from an earlier version to a newer one... I had to add something I had to add Sheduler myself.. so it would be very useful for your translator to have that ability, and more more useful in this new , upcoming Messenger Plus! 3 , wich is gonna have many new features there to be add in the .ini files wich were not before.

Thank you !

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by Choli on 04-02-2004 at 04:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by _BassReFLeX_
Runtime error: '339'
Richtx32.ocx and one of its depencies are invalid ... bla bla
at the first post there's a link to that file, download it from there or from any other site and copy it to your system32 folder.
quote:
However.. I would like to propose you something. Make your translator's ability to make a new line in .ini file not just replace. Because when I wanted to translate a Lang.ini from an earlier version to a newer one... I had to add something I had to add Sheduler myself.. so it would be very useful for your translator to have that ability, and more more useful in this new , upcoming Messenger Plus! 3 , wich is gonna have many new features there to be add in the .ini files wich were not before.
if you open as original file the DefaultLg.dat file and as translation file your (old) Lagn_*.ini file, the new keys will have the [Image: cruz.bmp] icon. Select it and write the translation. so easy. you can also right-click on it and select create key (or create section/create non-existent keys)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by Zhasha on 04-04-2004 at 01:24 PM

all this translation is giving me a headache. think ill go make a control for vb6 that helps making multilanguage programs...

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by _BassReFLeX_ on 04-04-2004 at 05:06 PM

Haven't tried yet that thingie. I just got back from a big voyage :p

I'll try.

To Zhasha:

Theres no better translator than Choli's :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by Zhasha on 04-04-2004 at 05:10 PM

i dont think you know what i meant...
its a VB6 control that makes making "Multilanguage Applications" much easyer. actually has nothing to do with a msgplus translater program

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by Leif on 04-04-2004 at 05:18 PM

Choli, your translation proggie is nothing short of marvellous. Thanks for making it!! Only one wish, though - to be able to see the original and the translation "in vivo" so to speak. So that I can see if my translation fits into the available space.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by CookieRevised on 04-04-2004 at 05:39 PM

I think that that is something that any plus!-translator would like. But is a bit out of scope of this translator tool...
Also it isn't that easy to create, and you need to call the plus-DLL and use the functions and all. It has been suggested before (to make a "standalone" stripped version of Plus! with only the dialogs and all, just for the purpose of translating)...
Now I do this by using Resource Hacker and such tools. It is a bit messy to do. But once you get the hang of it, it's a good way for a first quick check. (especially for the dialogs you can't envoke so easly like setup dialogs, recovery dialog, error dialogs, etc...)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by Choli on 04-05-2004 at 10:59 AM

Leif: Yep, Cookie is right (as always ;)) The best way to test non-usual dialogs is wih resource hacker because: (1st) i don't know what are the funtions inside Patchou's dll and how I should call then and (2nd) because how do i know which sections and which keys belong to what dialog/window/tooltip/menu etc...?

quote:
Originally posted by Leif
So that I can see if my translation fits into the available space.
you can get an idea looking at the character counters (and remember they give an aproximate number ('cause they count & as 1 char and \n, \r, %s, %d, etc as 2 chars))
quote:
Originally posted by Zhasha
all this translation is giving me a headache. think ill go make a control for vb6 that helps making multilanguage programs...
I think VB has stuff to do that (the repository or resources or something....)
quote:
Theres no better translator than Choli's
:blah!: thanks... In fact there's no other translator then mine so... it's the best :P
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by Tarry on 04-05-2004 at 11:43 AM

Me gusta bastante pero me sobran las banderitas.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by Zhasha on 04-05-2004 at 12:16 PM

see this is why i like www.freetranslation.com

Pleases me enough but exceed me the banderitas
Me plaît mais me dépasse assez le banderitas
Erfreut mich genug aber überschreitet mich der banderitas
Me soddisfa abbastanza ma me eccedere il banderitas
Behaagt aan mij genoeg, maar overschrijdt mij de banderitas
Agrade-me bastante mas me excede o banderitas
Нравится мне достаточно, но превышать меня banderitas
Behager meg nok men overskrider meg banderitas
使我高兴足够但是超过我 banderitas
使我高興足夠但是超過我 banderitas

i dont know that word "banderitas" but this is what i can rip off freetranslation.com

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by Choli on 04-05-2004 at 02:20 PM

people, don't spam my thread with dodgy translations :P

quote:
Originally posted by Tarry
Me gusta bastante pero me sobran las banderitas.
banderitas is a diminutive of flags, so little flags is right.

They (those flags (icons)) are needed so you can quickly recognize which keys are no longer needed and which ones are still untranslated. Also, they're quite nice, imo.
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by Leif on 04-06-2004 at 11:28 AM

This is such a great program!! Thanks again, Choli!!!
One minor gripe, though. On Win98 it seems not to filter lines starting with a semi colon ( ; ) which clutters up the display real bad. Works beautifully on XP!

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by Choli on 04-06-2004 at 11:56 AM

quote:
One minor gripe, though. On Win98 it seems not to filter lines starting with a semi colon ( ; ) which clutters up the display real bad.
that shouldn't happen because the program doesn't read the file itself but uses APIs that do that. can you send me the file with semi colons that aren't filtered?
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by Leif on 04-06-2004 at 12:25 PM

quote:
can you send me the file with semi colons that aren't filtered?

You've already got it, Choli! It's the DefaultLg.dat from beta 3.  ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by CookieRevised on 04-06-2004 at 12:34 PM

works perfectly here :/

note: Why don't I experience all those bugs :'( .... even most Plus!-bugs I don't get... Is my PC so afraid of me???? :P

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by Leif on 04-06-2004 at 02:24 PM

quote:
works perfectly here :/

Good for you!
I just tried it on another Win98 machine. Same problem there. All the ; lines are visible and marked with an X. Strange ...
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Choli on 04-06-2004 at 03:20 PM

Ok ok ok .... :P

It's fixed now. :blah: It was a M$ bug

* Choli slaps Microsoft arround a bit with a couple of large buggy APIs

Why do I have to fix M$'s bugs? :@ 8o|

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Zhasha on 04-07-2004 at 10:03 AM

choli, how do u use the winXP style buttons, what kind of API do u use. im not very good at API :wall:

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Leif on 04-07-2004 at 02:06 PM

Thanks Choli for the update! One problem less now!
But another one has cropped up:
From the line
ShareFiles=Share one of my files
in the section
[EnhancedPlusMenuChat]
Translator tells me that the line 'Share one of my files' and all the lines after that one are only present in my translation. Warning triangles with exclamation marks! But these lines are present in my translation and in the DefaultLg.dat. This only happens when I'm on Win98. WinXP is OK.

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.23 - New Version by Zhasha on 04-07-2004 at 02:26 PM

quote:
Leif: Yep, Cookie is right (as always ;)) The best way to test non-usual dialogs is wih resource hacker because: (1st) i don't know what are the funtions inside Patchou's dll and how I should call then and (2nd) because how do i know which sections and which keys belong to what dialog/window/tooltip/menu etc...?
quote:
So that I can see if my translation fits into the available space.
you can get an idea looking at the character counters (and remember they give an aproximate number ('cause they count & as 1 char and \n, \r, %s, %d, etc as 2 chars))

quote:
Originally posted by Zhasha
I think VB has stuff to do that (the repository or resources or something....)

quote:
Theres no better translator than Choli's
:blah!: thanks... In fact there's no other translator then mine so... it's the best :P

"I think VB has stuff to do that (the repository or resources or something....)"
i mean a control that lets you pick a language file, much like your translator. this coltrol just allows you to recieve arguments from the file. so its just the functions i used myself statically put into a .ocx
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Choli on 04-07-2004 at 03:37 PM

quote:
Thanks Choli for the update! One problem less now!
But another one has cropped up:
From the line
ShareFiles=Share one of my files
in the section
[EnhancedPlusMenuChat]
Translator tells me that the line 'Share one of my files' and all the lines after that one are only present in my translation. Warning triangles with exclamation marks! But these lines are present in my translation and in the DefaultLg.dat. This only happens when I'm on Win98. WinXP is OK.
Stupid Win98 :wall:
I'll give it a try.... but send me your translation (if i don't have it :P) the defaultlg.dat is the one of mp3beta, right?

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Leif on 04-07-2004 at 04:35 PM

quote:
but send me your translation (if i don't have it :P) the defaultlg.dat is the one of mp3beta, right?

Sent! And yes, it's the beta 3 one.
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Choli on 04-07-2004 at 07:00 PM

Stupid Win98 is driving me mad :lol:······:mipdodgy:
Well, again it wasn't my fault but Win98's :banana: It seems that Win98 doesn't accept INI files bigger than 65501 bytes (nearly 64 Kb). DefaultLg.dat is 66 Kb and Win98 only uses its first 65501 bytes. The rest are ignored. You can notice it if you select the key [EnhancedPlusMenuChat] > QuickText. You'll only see "Send a pre-" while the line is "Send a pre-recorded message". This is the 65501 bytes bound.

About the bug, it's still there. I can't do anything to fix it. Also the program wasn't done to work in 98 at the begining, when I though about doing it so I don't care very much if it doesn't work on Win9x:P Anyway, thanks for reporting the bug ;) (and feel free to continue reporting bugs)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Leif on 04-07-2004 at 10:46 PM

No problem now on Win98. Getting rid of all the comments (lines with ; ) shrinked the file to under 60 kB.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Choli on 04-07-2004 at 11:04 PM

quote:
No problem now on Win98. Getting rid of all the comments (lines with ; ) shrinked the file to under 60 kB.
that's the only way you'd be able to use it in win98, however be carefull and read the comments before deleting, because in some of them there are special instructions to be followed by translators (like don't translate this, etc...) ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by KeyStorm on 04-21-2004 at 08:12 PM

I was wondering if some suggestions could be done now we know the guidelines (I post them anyway :grin:):

- A third textbox to load the backup version (readonly)
- A little textfield or caption-frame to show comments (comments should appear in the tree to load them in the caption-frame, if a normal key is selected the current comment to the key/group is showed)
- A comment-cleaner for finishing the work, that leaves those three first lines.

Dunno If this is still possible (I wished I could code it myself :-/).

It would be great if you (Choli ;)) could still add all or some of these features :)

Edit (bug): Testing your current version I have noticed that all keys (I randomly took a look at groups) are marked with [Image: flecha.bmp].
Maybe it would be good to compare the content of the keys to see if the strings are the same (strings being longer than 5 chars, coz maybe shorter strings could be the same in both languages).

Edit (human-stupid-bug): I already migrated my lang file so it was obviously saying everything was alright :$. Well, the tool should compare the strings anyway and add the Backup, if needed to get recycleable keys :D.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Choli on 04-21-2004 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
A third textbox to load the backup version (readonly)
you can open a new instance of the program
quote:
A little textfield or caption-frame to show comments (comments should appear in the tree to load them in the caption-frame, if a normal key is selected the current comment to the key/group is showed)
(already suggested.) I can't do that with the way the program reads the files (with special APIs). I know it'd be nice if the program shows comments, but it won't be in the next version (but maybe the next to the next...)
quote:
A comment-cleaner for finishing the work, that leaves those three first lines.
if you start translating a file from scratch, there won't be any comments... anyway, i can't add it due to the same reason as before 8well, i could but that's too much work for now)
quote:
Dunno If this is still possible (I wished I could code it myself ).

It would be great if you (Choli ) could still add all or some of these features
all that is possible, however some thing are hard to implement and/or take too much time :P
quote:
Edit (bug): Testing your current version I have noticed that all keys (I randomly took a look at groups) are marked with ->.
Edit (human-stupid-bug): I already migrated my lang file so it was obviously saying everything was alright
so it's ok, isn't it?
quote:
Maybe it would be good to compare the content of the keys to see if the strings are the same (strings being longer than 5 chars, coz maybe shorter strings could be the same in both languages).
Well, the tool should compare the strings anyway and add the Backup, if needed to get recycleable keys .
do you mean that I should mark as untranslated the keys that are the same in both files (and with 5+ chars)? well, maybe, but that isn't the main pourpose of the icons.. they're there just to show if a key is missing or not... well, it's supposed that when a key isn't translated, it isn't in the file (and the red X appears) and when it's in the file that means it's translated (green ->).... Anyway, my laziness doesn't let me add it :refuck:

Well, only one thing more: I'm working in that limitation of 64Kb of Win 9x/Me... Patchou told me some suggestions about how he does it in plus and as it seems that many translators use Win98, I've decided I'll fix it. Expect the new version in less that 48 hours. :)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by KeyStorm on 04-21-2004 at 09:39 PM

I mean >5 chars for if there are small words/keys that aren't translated, like "OK".

And yeah, it was just me surprised of all those green arrows... so well, not a bug. But still could be inproved comparing the keys ;).

In the Guidelines, btw, It's meant to rewrite from scratch, but using the original English file as pattern, so including all comments, that's why it would make sense now.

Well, anyway, keep it up :)

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by CookieRevised on 04-22-2004 at 10:30 AM

quote:
I mean >5 chars for if there are small words/keys that aren't translated, like "OK".

And yeah, it was just me surprised of all those green arrows... so well, not a bug. But still could be inproved comparing the keys ;).
I dunno... It could be actualy very confusing if this is added...

If this is added you're gonna rely on it and you might miss key's because of the ">5". Then if you don't add the ">5" restriction, false warnings are given, so again confusion...

If this isn't added, the user is forced to look at every key to see if it is translated, this makes that the language file is checked in detail (which is a must I think) and less "hasty" mistakes are being made...

About the "remove comments"-button:
you don't need to rely on the ini-api's for that. Much faster and more reliable would be:
code:
pseudocode:
do while not eof(readfile)
  textline = readline(readfile)
  if not firstchar(stripleadingspaces(textline)) = ";" then
    writeline(writefile)
  endif
loop

Related to this... Maybe this could be made into a seperate program (or if Choli has the time in his own program) together with a routine where all the topics and keys are sorted like the DefaultLg.dat. This makes comparing languages files with the original english one very easy in other programs. (because most linecomparing programs are only good at resyncronizing at a certain level). Also, double blank lines can be deleted, a blank line could be added before topics, blank lines between keys can be deleted, etc...
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Choli on 04-22-2004 at 11:11 AM

quote:
If this isn't added, the user is forced to look at every key to see if it is translated, this makes that the language file is checked in detail (which is a must I think) and less "hasty" mistakes are being made...

I think I'll leave it as it's now :) You're right, it's less confusing
quote:
you don't need to rely on the ini-api's for that. Much faster and more reliable would be:
i know, but my program uses apis that's why i should open the file myself and do the code you posted. As I don't open nor read the file myself, the option to remove comments is too much work for now :p
quote:
Related to this... Maybe this could be made into a seperate program (or if Choli has the time in his own program) together with a routine where all the topics and keys are sorted like the DefaultLg.dat. This makes comparing languages files with the original english one very easy in other programs. (because most linecomparing programs are only good at resyncronizing at a certain level). Also, double blank lines can be deleted, a blank line could be added before topics, blank lines between keys can be deleted, etc...
a separate program to "clean" and tidy the files would be great... maybe i'll do it :D

mmm.... btw,
quote:
stripleadingspaces(textline)) = ";"
related to that: if a line begins with spaces and after the spaces there's a ";", is the line a comment or isn't it?
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by CookieRevised on 04-22-2004 at 11:52 AM

quote:

mmm.... btw,
quote:
stripleadingspaces(textline)) = ";"
related to that: if a line begins with spaces and after the spaces there's a ";", is the line a comment or isn't it?
yep, it is... leadinspaces are ignored in ini files.
(also by the API's:
[topic]
key=value

is the same as
     [topic]
          key         =value

)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Matti on 04-22-2004 at 06:11 PM

I hope this will works too on Msg Plus! 3...
Should be nice...

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Menthix on 04-22-2004 at 07:06 PM

Yes, it works on Messenger Plus! 3 language files as well. But you won't really need this tool as long as you are not translating Messenger Plus! yourself.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by CookieRevised on 04-22-2004 at 11:57 PM

Choli, can I make yet another suggestion?

To add the ability to use two filenames as commandlines:
MsgPlusTrans.exe DefaultLg.dat Lang_Vulcan.ini

If at all possible without the adding of /, - or that kind of characters, so we can drag'n drop 2 files on the program...

If those chars should be needed in front of the filename (because of the way the current parameters are implemented), that's also fine; Then we can at least use a shortcut to quickly start our favorite language files ;)

suggestion: make the current parameters with a / or - character. And use no trailing character for filenames... so that if no / or - character is used, filenames are assumed...

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Leif on 04-23-2004 at 05:10 AM

It's such a great tool! The only thing I sometimes miss is a search function ...

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.24 - New Version by Choli on 04-23-2004 at 03:26 PM

Well, I've fixed the limitation of 64Kb in Win 9x / Me. Patchou told me how that was done in Plus! 3 and I've been able to use his ideas to make it (my program is more complex than plus in that aspect, 'cause I have to write files too, not only read them :P). Thanks to his suggestions and because lot of translators use those versions of Windows, I've updated the program. Now you can use files of any size in Windows 9x/Me (and remember that the file must be saved in ansi format, not unicode).

Well, let me know if you find any bug (in Win NT/2K/XP/2K3 it should work like before, but there may also be bugs). If you can, use Win NT/2K/XP/2K3 instead of Win 9x/Me. The program will work faster.

quote:
Choli, can I make yet another suggestion?
of course ;)
quote:
To add the ability to use two filenames as commandlines:
MsgPlusTrans.exe DefaultLg.dat Lang_Vulcan.ini
good idea
however, i haven't done it, because i have to support alos files with spaces in their names and that implies a bit more programming (and i'm a bit tired due to the fixing of the 64kb limitation of win9x)
I have planed doing that in next versions. Also I want to add the ability to drag'n'drop files directly into the interface of the program. :)
quote:
It's such a great tool! The only thing I sometimes miss is a search function ...
why don't you use notepad to search for strings? :-/ I don't feel like adding it for now :P
quote:
our favorite language files
favorite? :mipdodgy: :-/

:banana:
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.28 ~ bugs fixed! by Choli on 04-25-2004 at 12:26 PM

Sorry for double posting, but there's a new version: 1.2.29. I've just found a weird, non-usual but annoying bug. Sorry if this is causing you any troubles :$ Thanks.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.29 by KeyStorm on 04-25-2004 at 12:36 PM

Another (feasible) suggestion? :$

Could there be a shortcut to navigate up and down the keys leaving the focus in the translator textbox?
(without having to Shift+Tab, UP/DOWN and Tab)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.29 by CookieRevised on 04-25-2004 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Another (feasible) suggestion? :$

Could there be a shortcut to navigate up and down the keys leaving the focus in the translator textbox?
hmmm... yeah, I know what you mean, but this is going to sound stupid, but use the scrollbar (ok, you'll loose focus again, but 1 click in the textbox and that's solved :D unless you swear by keyboard use of course (dodgy DOS-habbit ;) blah... I do it also :p))
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.29 by KeyStorm on 04-25-2004 at 02:41 PM

Well I'm part of a mouse-abolitionist association :grin:. And I dislike having to use the mouse each time i want to change the key.
The other thing is that I'm translating it in the laptop and I hate to use the touchpad :@.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.29 by Leif on 04-25-2004 at 02:43 PM

Talking about dodgy DOS habits ... I'd very much like &Save! No ampersand there now. :(
Next version perhaps.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator 1.2.29 by Choli on 04-25-2004 at 02:54 PM

quote:
i'll think about that, but that'll be the next version that won't be a bug-fixed version (so you'll have to wait... i have to translate plus into spanish before doing such improvments :P)
quote:
I'd very much like &Save! No ampersand there now.
not now, not never :-/ there has never been the & there :P
well, until i'll do it, why not use the auto-save? ;)
RE: Translator Software by supitchaya on 07-14-2004 at 06:08 AM

Dear Friends,

I'd downloaded translator,.. but anybody can suggest clearly how to use this?

I just see four box of 2 to input file and another 2  right down but can't put any text in

Thanks all.

RE: Translator Software by Choli on 07-14-2004 at 01:08 PM

Hi, supitchaya:

The program that you downloaded is NOT for translating texts. It "only" helps people how translate Messenger Plus in doing their work. If you are (or want to be) a translator, you can use it. You have to select 2 files (source and destination) with the "..." buttons next to theose unput fields. After that you can start translating.

Once again, sorry, but you won't be able to translate texts with it. Dodgy Patchou changed the title of the thread some time ago and maybe that's what made you think this was another kind of software.

* Choli restores the original title :refuck:

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by A-jay on 12-18-2004 at 08:55 AM

this may sound newbish but I have no idea how this translator works it says something with a translated file and  original file.Whats up with that?

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Tochjo on 12-18-2004 at 10:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by A-jay
I have no idea how this translator works
This program was meant for translators of Messenger Plus!. If you're not a translator, it's pretty useless. The idea is to be able to open the file with the English text (original file) and a file that contains the things you have translated (translated file).

It allows the translators of this program (and translators of other programs might use it as well) to quickly translate English text to another language. This is not a program that automatically translates text for you ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by A-jay on 12-18-2004 at 08:10 PM

Oh I see my bad

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by spastje on 02-09-2005 at 11:27 PM

could you give me the source sow I can make an english - dutch, dutch - english version?

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Tochjo on 02-10-2005 at 10:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by spastje
give me the source sow I can make an english - dutch, dutch - english version
If you wish to translate Messenger Plus! in Dutch, don't bother: there is already a very good Dutch translation available.

If you wish to translate this program, which is used to translate Messenger Plus! in other languages, don't bother either: all translators translate from English to their native language, so this program doesn't need a translation :)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 02-12-2005 at 10:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
If you wish to translate this program, which is used to translate Messenger Plus! in other languages, don't bother either: all translators translate from English to their native language, so this program doesn't need a translation
yup.

and btw, the source is not available. sorry. :)
Ampersand alerts by NapalmLos on 03-09-2005 at 04:15 PM

Whenever ampersands, the &'s, appear in the original text-file, it should also be included in the translation. And therefore I think an 'ampersand alert' feature would improve the program, by making sure that translators do not forget to do them. A message box and a sound could inform the translator, when he is leaving the subsection, that no ampersand has been placed.

I've recently seen a language-file, where a translator put the percentage-symbol, the %, instead of the ampersand (an honest mistake, since the symbols are juxtaposed, side by side, on the keyboard). With an ampersand alert feature utilized, this would not happen, since the translator would be made aware of the issue.

Some trivia:

The symbol [&] is an abbreviated combination of the letters "et", the Roman word for "and". Its name is derived from a spoken form of the phrase "and per se and".

RE: Ampersand alerts by ZrednaZ on 03-09-2005 at 06:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NapalmLos
I've recently seen a language-file, where a translator put the percentage-symbol, the %, instead of the ampersand (an honest mistake, since the symbols are juxtaposed, side by side, on the keyboard).

(no longer a forgiving mistake, though, when a translator consistently switches &'s for %'s and vice versa, like one piece of work that was handed in to me 8-);))

I agree that a simple ampersand alert would be useful, altough I must point out that an ampersand collision alert would be 0wnage in thet respect. :D
(yes, I do realize that this would implicate the need for frequent updates of the software, and require the software to understand Plus!' menu systems and not just its language files) :)

//Zreeeeeed
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 03-09-2005 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Whenever ampersands, the &'s, appear in the original text-file, it should also be included in the translation.
The program can't just place &s automatically in the translated text because of the following reasons:
Where would it put the &s? At the same letter than the english ones? That doesn't work, because the translated text may not contain the english letter with the &, or that letter may not the the most adequate for placing the &. Also, there are keys in the english translation where the & is missing or conflicts with another key.
quote:
And therefore I think an 'ampersand alert' feature would improve the program, by making sure that translators do not forget to do them.
Texts that require an & are usually shot texts, so at the same time you're translating them, you should notice the & in the english translation and inmediately add it to your translation. IMO, a message box and/or a sound if the & is missing would be quite annoying. (at the end, the translator may decide to not add the &, it's up to him/her)
quote:
I've recently seen a language-file, where a translator put the percentage-symbol, the %, instead of the ampersand
and how could the program distinguish if the translator wanted to put the % or made a mistake and s/he meant & ?
quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
I agree that a simple ampersand alert would be useful
maybe there could be an option that will check for missing &, but not in real time while your translating
quote:
altough I must point out that an ampersand collision alert would be 0wnage in thet respect.
(yes, I do realize that this would implicate the need for frequent updates of the software, and require the software to understand Plus!' menu systems and not just its language files)
& collition would be a great improvment, but i see several disadvantadges:
The program sould be upgraded very (too much) frequently.
It should be upgraded before Patchou sends us the beta to translate, so first he should send me the beta, I upgrade the program and then we all translate... too complex.
And there are keys that are used in sereval menus, so they & may cause a collition in different menus (or windows)... and that is quite complex to implement.
RE: sequel by NapalmLos on 03-12-2005 at 02:56 PM

I've been misunderstood. All your points are, seen isolated from my suggestion, ok. But:

All I wanted was a feature that the translator could turn on if he wanted to, thus making some of your objections irrellevant. A simple feature. No boxes would be required, instead the small picture assigned to the subsection (at the left side of the screen) could be slightly altered (if the feature was turned on), e.g. showing a small ampersand with a red X on it.

I never wanted the feature to be able to detect other symbols, like the %, and it is quite irrellevant, since no presence of symbols would chance the subsection's status as "containing ampersand" or "not containing ampersand". If the feature was included, it would mark translations without ampersands (where the original subsections contained ampersands), no matter whether or not the subsection contained other symbols.

And - no, it would not require any updates at all. If the program is able to detect &'s, that would be all:

Feature on? 1
Are there &'s in the original file? 1
Are there &'s in the translation? 0.
Red light and cross on.
Return.

Feature on? 0
End.

(The control could be carried out whenever a subsection was left by the translator; thus not in real-time. Alternatively, the feature could be just a button that would start a check-up of the entire translation, and then mark subsections in the overview window.)

Therefore, if the feature can be programmed, it would have no downsides. If it can't, well.. then it just can't.

Dismissing this is a violation of the basic rules based on Murphy's Law. But of course, the program wouldn't be able to place the ampersands itself; it would just make it less likely that they were not placed, and thus were missing in the sent-in translation. Errors would still be possible.

:)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 03-12-2005 at 04:27 PM

It is by no means as easy as you think. Ampersand collision checking is very complex. Even checking if an ampersand is missing or not is very complex. You're forgetting that the English translation often has no ampersands where ampersands could be used, etc... Every possible key has to be indexed and connected to the type of control and dialog where it is used (or rather controls, as many keys have multiple uses, and vice versa) Also, the English original translation isn't without it's errors...

Believe me, the fastest and most correct way of ampersand checking atm is by a human using a simple texteditor!!

quote:
if the feature can be programmed, it would have no downsides.
It would have many downsides. Such a feature is NOT to be taken as granted. Human control and interpretation IS needed.

Be very carefull with trusting such features/programs. I see some translators here only trusting on Choli's application to do their stuff because it is so "easy". This is however a very bad use of the program.

The program is NOT meant to do full translations. It is meant as an aid to do some quick checking and quick translating. And it is excellent for that. However, translations which are made only with Choli's translator can easly be picked out because they are often full of errors and inconsistencies. Every key has to be manually checked within Messenger Plus!, consistency is to be taken in account, etc... etc...

The best tool to do a good translation is still notepad or similar. Choli's translator or any other similar program are simply made to aid, not to take over the translation-process...

PS: I didn't wanted to bring this in public yet (although I already told some people about it and hinted about it here and there), but I'm currently developping a big validation program. Checking for ampersand collisions will be one of it's many features. But this program will not be ready for a long time. It IS a very complex matter to check human language and the many mistakes a human can make, with programming code... Yep, it is in this region that you'll step when making something like this. But I certainly don't wanna call it AI though, although it has some small aspects of it...

The only problem I have atm is lack of time, and I need to finish some other stuff first. But I promise that this validator will come and it will have some pretty cool stuff!

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by ZrednaZ on 03-12-2005 at 05:21 PM

quote:
It is by no means as easy as you think. Ampersand collision checking is very complex.
We don't think it's easy. No-one ever suggested it would be easy to maintain a program with such a feature.

However, I don't see one reason why a feature that simply points out inconsistencies would be a problem. Sure there may be some cases where the English version has ampersands and the translated version isn't supposed to, but upon getting notified of the ampersand difference the translator would be able to take this into account and NOT make the correction. But hey, most of the time ampersand placement is similar to the English version, right? So I can't say I agree that it would be faster to check the whole thing manually.

Oh, and I have to disagree with the rest, too... :D
In my view, there's no reason why you shouldn't use Choli's translator as your primary tool. For one thing it lets you compare the translated text to the original text, so the task of checking whether your text is getting too long becomes much easier.

I do use Notepad as a secondary tool for:
1) moving/deleting entire sections or keys
2) reading Patchou's comments to each section

These are things you can't do with Choli's proram. Othewise it's a fine primary tool IMO!
RE: ... by NapalmLos on 03-12-2005 at 05:26 PM

"It is by no means as easy as you think. Ampersand collision checking is very complex. Even checking if an ampersand is missing or not is very complex."

I never protested against that. In fact, I said that I didn't know whether or not the feature could be programmed.

"Such a feature is not to be taken as granted. Human control and interpretation IS needed."

I never asserted that human control wasn't needed. In fact, I said that it would not make errors disappear.

"Be very carefull with trusting such features/programs. I see some translators here only trusting on Choli's application to do their stuff because it is so "easy". This is however a very bad use of the program."

It may well be, yet I'm not adressing the "Choli/.txt"-problem, I'm merely making a suggestion to aid those who are using Choli's translator. I'm not saying that everyone should use it. Why should I?

"The program is NOT meant to do full translations. It is meant as an aid to do some quick checking and quick translating. And it is excellent for that. However, translations which are made only with Choli's translator can easly be picked out because they are often full of errors and inconsistencies. Every key has to be manually checked within Messenger Plus!, consistency is to be taken in account, etc... etc..."

You're asserting that translations made with the translator are always faulty? I don't think that's true. However, I can easily see why you could come to that conclusion; because it seems quite obvious that lazy translators will be more likely to use the program than the traditionalistic, hard-working translators. But many of these lazy translators will do poor translations no matter what method they use. If the translator pays attention, Choli's translator will be as useful as the method you're currently defending, even though no one (no one here, at least) has attacked it. It shows the same things as the textfile-method contains.

"The best tool to do a good translation is still notepad or similar. Choli's translator or any other similar program are simply made to aid, not to take over the translation-process..."

I guess you're trying to do an information campaign here. But doesn't that belong in its own thread, where it would be read by those who need to be adressed? And not here, as a reply to my thread, which makes it seem like a weird pseudo-attack on a personal opinion that was never uttered?

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 03-12-2005 at 10:10 PM

quote:
And - no, it would not require any updates at all. If the program is able to detect &'s, that would be all:
I said it would require updates for the collision detection feature.
quote:
I see some translators here only trusting on Choli's application to do their stuff because it is so "easy". This is however a very bad use of the program.
quote:
For one thing it lets you compare the translated text to the original text, so the task of checking whether your text is getting too long becomes much easier.
Cookie is right here. Translators: Please, check in Plus, after translating, that all texts fit in their place... The counter in my program is _not_ correct (it doesn't take into account &s and counts them as 1 character more) and it only gives an aproximate idea of the size of the resulting text. A smaller (shorter) translated text may not fit in the place where the original english text does fit. That's due to the way the text is aligned and placed between lines.
quote:
deleting entire sections or keys
my program can do that :p
quote:
These are things you can't do with Choli's proram. Othewise it's a fine primary tool IMO!
true, but it is _not_ an unique tool: Let me repeat: Do not only use my program; once translated (better if you do this at the same time you translate) check the look of the texts in their final place: Plus!' windows, buttons, labels, etc....
quote:
But hey, most of the time ampersand placement is similar to the English version, right?
no, you aren't right. In theory, ampersands should be placed at the first letter of the first word that is a noun or verb of the sentence. That place is where &s make more sense. If that letter makes a collision, the next place to try is the first leter os the 2ns sillabe of that word; not the 2nd letter.
You may find this weird, but think a bit about it, that's the more logical way. And this way doesn't match with the english translation and even less with the english placements of &s.
quote:
You're asserting that translations made with the translator are always faulty?
maybe not always, but quite often. I, myself, do make a lot of errors translating with my tool. I think a sentence fits (it has less characters) but I usually have to see it in its button/label/etc... in Plus to see that I'm wrong, and I have to translate it again once or twice until I get a nice translation; always looking at Plus. This is very important.

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by ZrednaZ on 03-12-2005 at 11:42 PM

quote:

no, you aren't right. In theory, ampersands should be placed at the first letter of the first word that is a noun or verb of the sentence. That place is where &s make more sense. If that letter makes a collision, the next place to try is the first leter os the 2ns sillabe of that word; not the 2nd letter.
You may find this weird, but think a bit about it, that's the more logical way. And this way doesn't match with the english translation and even less with the english placements of &s.

Umm, I think you may have misunderstood my (somewhat unclearly phrased) sentence regarding this... I didn't mean that specific ampersand placement within a sentance is the same in other languages as in English (you would obviously get collisions all the time by doing this). All I'm saying is: Every time there is a & in any English key, there's supposed to be one in the translated key as well and vice versa (unless you discover some obvious mistake by Patchou*-)).  Am I completely mistaken here?

quote:

Cookie is right here. Translators: Please, check in Plus, after translating, that all texts fit in their place... The counter in my program is _not_ correct (it doesn't take into account &s and counts them as 1 character more) and it only gives an aproximate idea of the size of the resulting text. A smaller (shorter) translated text may not fit in the place where the original english text does fit. That's due to the way the text is aligned and placed between lines.

I'm starting to hate these misinterpretations. I know your program doesn't reproduce Plus!' internal line breaks, but at least it gives you an idea of how long your text is getting compared to the original! Something you can't determine _at all_ in notepad! I realize that the need for double checking afterwards in Plus! is present using both methods, but that doesn't automatically make Notepad a better choice.

Using Choli's translator:
*Easy, comfortable translation tool with a nice font.
*Most of your translated text will fit in Plus!' confined spaces, as you saw to it that your translated texts remained shorter than the originals in Choli's program.

Using Notepad:
*Less comfortable tool. Risk of selecting a buch of keys and deleting them (at least it happens 4 me sometimes :P;))
*More translated text won't fit Plus! since you had no idea of how much space you were consuming.

Ok, are we clear now? (H)
RE: RE: ... by CookieRevised on 03-13-2005 at 12:38 AM

quote:
"It is by no means as easy as you think. Ampersand collision checking is very complex. Even checking if an ampersand is missing or not is very complex."

I never protested against that. In fact, I said that I didn't know whether or not the feature could be programmed.
I'm not saying you've said that it is dead-easy though... My post was meant in general, to read by others also, nothing personal.

btw, such thing can be programmed though (like everything else), but it is complex and will need consant tweaking and updating by its nature...

quote:
"Such a feature is not to be taken as granted. Human control and interpretation IS needed."

I never asserted that human control wasn't needed. In fact, I said that it would not make errors disappear.
yep true. But what I mean and warn for is that, in practice, most people start to blindly trust on those automatic tools if they exist. A very nice example of what I mean: the many PC-tweak, registry scheck, anti-adware tools.

quote:
You're asserting that translations made with the translator are always faulty?
not alyways, but very very often, yes indeed...

In fact, I even bet most of the translation for the 3.50 version have a fault in them if they are checked only with Choli's tool to see if every key has been translated!! Because there is an error in the original English file. This can only be picked out if the translator has painstakenly checked every key, its purpose, its length and its place (like every translator is supposed to do anyways!!!)...

The point is: The tool is a very excellent and fine piece of program. But it has to be used for what it is and for what it can do. And that is only a very very small part in the whole translation process. Unfortunatly, many (new/lazy) translators turn this around, and the tool becomes a very big part of the translation process....

quote:
But many of these lazy translators will do poor translations no matter what method they use.
yeah, you got a very good point there....

quote:
If the translator pays attention, Choli's translator will be as useful as the method you're currently defending, even though no one (no one here, at least) has attacked it. It shows the same things as the textfile-method contains.
It's not a matter of defending one method to the other. Using Choli's program is NOT a method. It is PART of a much bigger process...

quote:
Umm, I think you may have misunderstood my (somewhat unclearly phrased) sentence regarding this... I didn't mean that specific ampersand placement within a sentance is the same in other languages as in English (you would obviously get collisions all the time by doing this). All I'm saying is: Every time there is a & in any English key, there's supposed to be one in the translated key as well and vice versa (unless you discover some obvious mistake by Patchou*-)).  Am I completely mistaken here?
yep, I'm afraid you are... :p

* In many keys, the ampersand IS a valid character and NOT a special sign to make hotlinked-letters.
* In some keys, the ampersand will result in a hotlinked letter, but in fact, can't be used.
* You also need to take in account that spelling errors can happen in the English file (but this is more a matter of interpreting the computed comparrison result. Although this is quite often were the problem/danger of the use of such tools is!)
* etc...

So you're back to square one. Each and every key NEEDS to be indexed, indentified and updated for each build as keys often are replaced, moved, fixed, etc...

quote:
I know your program doesn't reproduce Plus!' internal line breaks, but at least it gives you an idea of how long your text is getting compared to the original!
I'm realy afraid not!
It is quite often that I come across much shorter lines in characters, but the final result will still be a too big text in the dialogs (and this without taking in account line breaks)!!!! The same goes for the opposite: In the Dutch translation there are also many lines which are much longer, yet produce a nice looking and sometimes even shorter output!

The character count is not something to take in account, even not a little bit, it is nothing more then a gimmick...

quote:
Something you can't determine _at all_ in notepad! I realize that the need for double checking afterwards in Plus! is present using both methods, but that doesn't automatically make Notepad a better choice.

Using Choli's translator:
*Easy, comfortable translation tool with a nice font.
*Most of your translated text will fit in Plus!' confined spaces, as you saw to it that your translated texts remained shorter than the originals in Choli's program.

Using Notepad:
*Less comfortable tool. Risk of selecting a buch of keys and deleting them (at least it happens 4 me sometimes :P;))
*More translated text won't fit Plus! since you had no idea of how much space you were consuming.

Ok, are we clear now? (H)

Nope.... again I am not defending or arguing between two different methods!!!!!

There is NO such thing as "Choli's translator"-method and "notepad"-method.

Choli's translator is a small tool to aid in the much much bigger translation process, it is NOT a method on its own, it is only a small part of the process that a translator must do!!!!

this includes:
* the use of dictionanaries, thesaurus, etc...
* spellchecking
* manual tweaking of the INI file
* checking for ampersand collisions
* checking if lines aren't too long
* yes, even checking if final results _look_ good (the visual aspect counts too and is very important)...
* testing when an error occures and thus how to translate it (don't blindly trust on the English translation)
* checking consistency within the translation and with other Windows products
* checking for 'technical' mistakes (eg: double spaces)
* checking if keys/sections aren't misplaced (yes, even in the English one this happens!!!)
* checking if everything is translated (and THIS is were Choli's tool comes in)
* etc...
* etc...

Remark: The literal job of 'translating' is only a small part of the entire process. This is also one of the mistakes that people make when they are going to translate something (realy talking in general now, eg: the difference between translating a piece of text in school and translating a computer program).

btw, I realy hate to "disagree" with you people (the regular pro-translators), what I'm saying here goes more for the new/lazy/newbie/unaware translator.  So don't take all this personaly
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 03-13-2005 at 12:32 PM

quote:
In some keys, the ampersand will result in a hotlinked letter, but in fact, can't be used.
in those cases, a double ampersand (ie: && ) has to be used. Windows detects the && and it puts a single &,  instead of underlining anything.
quote:
btw, I realy hate to "disagree" with you people (the regular pro-translators), what I'm saying here goes more for the new/lazy/newbie/unaware translator.  So don't take all this personaly
The same here. My answers in previous posts don't go for a specific person.. they are general for eveybody. I know that the people who are replying in these last posts are experienced translators.

well, in general I agree with Cookie, so take his answers in the previous posts as if they were mine :P
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by NapalmLos on 03-13-2005 at 06:10 PM

Well. I'm glad you've now underlined who the recipients are, and so on (though I would have liked it better, if you had made it clear from the beginning). Yet, still too much remains unclear, for me to bother commenting on it all. So I'll leave it there. I myself have not got any need what-so-ever for the feature, and was merely trying to improve the software. Apparently it will never be done, so any further arguments would be futile. It wouldn't lead to any other things than the common semi-surrealistic meta-discussion, where the fact that we actually don't disagree on the real subjects would disappear.

Godspeed and farewell, fellow plussians :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 03-13-2005 at 10:28 PM

quote:
and was merely trying to improve the software. Apparently it will never be done
don't say that. I really apreciate your comments a lot. The fact that I think or say that I don't like or don't agree with them doesn't mean that they won't never be included in the program.

If it comes a day where I have enough free time, I'd like to improve the program. In fact, a lot of time ago, I started the version 2 of the translator; but I did only the GUI (graphical interface) and it was half-done. Belive me, I hope I have some free time to continue that work some day and that day I'll reconsider all your suggestions.
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by NapalmLos on 03-14-2005 at 03:50 PM

Ok :)

The ideal would be an implementation of all the translator-activites, such as checking the translating windows and menus; they could be displayed beside the translation; and could be updated when a button was clicked or just when a subsection was left. This would make the process manageable for even the laziest translators. It would also allow testers to quickly go through each translation-file and check for errors.

I don't suppose the idea is new though.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 03-14-2005 at 05:44 PM

for many (if not most) dialogs that would require to create the whole Plus! interface on your own as many stuff changes according to what is pressed/selected/etc.... The only thing you could use is the layout of existing dialogs. Everything else must be recreated by yourself. Not only that, but this is again very version depended. All in all, you would end up with a copy of Plus!, the difference being that this "copy" wouldn't be functional in messenger...

In short, idea is not new, but in practice this is way to much useless work for something you could easly do in Plus! itself already.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by ZrednaZ on 03-15-2005 at 08:11 AM

Perhaps if Patchou made a small program featuring a long list of every single dialog box that Plus! can throw at you... You'd be able to quickly go over all of 'em and make any necessary changes. As Plus! has an ever increasing number of dialogs (some of them being hard or nearly impossible to find and open), something like this might just prove to be a success.

(maybe this was a bit close to what NapalmLos suggested.. but hey.. :refuck:)

Hmm.. come to think of it there was once a document with instructions on how to open every single dialog.. is Patch still keeping that up-to-date?

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by NapalmLos on 03-15-2005 at 08:30 AM

quote:
for many (if not most) dialogs that would require to create the whole Plus! interface on your own as many stuff changes according to what is pressed/selected/etc.... The only thing you could use is the layout of existing dialogs. Everything else must be recreated by yourself. Not only that, but this is again very version depended. All in all, you would end up with a copy of Plus!, the difference being that this "copy" wouldn't be functional in messenger...

In short, idea is not new, but in practice this is way to much useless work for something you could easly do in Plus! itself already.

I didn't say that it had to be done in Choli's software - it could be a translator-version of Plus!; thus not being a copy, but a new and functional version. But yeah, the cost-benefit-analysis on this thing isn't too happy. Yet, it wouldn't be useless, but if the software should remain free, the work-effort of the feature would seem too great compared to its use, which is small, though existing.
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 03-15-2005 at 09:40 AM

quote:
Perhaps if Patchou made a small program featuring a long list of every single dialog box that Plus! can throw at you... You'd be able to quickly go over all of 'em and make any necessary changes. As Plus! has an ever increasing number of dialogs (some of them being hard or nearly impossible to find and open), something like this might just prove to be a success.
I could answer two different things which both are valid:
1) In that case Patchou has to maintain 2 programs (also goes as a reply to NapalmLos' post)
2) you already have a list with all the dialogs, use reshacker

quote:
Hmm.. come to think of it there was once a document with instructions on how to open every single dialog.. is Patch still keeping that up-to-date?
http://www.msgplus.net/help_tutorials.php?tut=newlang
you'll find a link in the text.

But the problem aren't the dialogs, they all can be found very easly within Plus!. The problem is more with the many small keys used here and there, or for example how to reproduce the errormessages... etc...

When I have the time, I'll make a list for every single key, in the main time if you don't know where to find some key, ask me ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 03-15-2005 at 10:59 AM

quote:
how to reproduce the errormessages... etc...

that example is a bad one :P Error messages are the easiest texts to translate. They are displayed in a standar Windows message box, which is automatically resized to hold all the text it contains, so in those cases there's no problem in making a longer sentence. :)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 03-15-2005 at 11:06 AM

quote:
quote:
how to reproduce the errormessages... etc...

that example is a bad one :P Error messages are the easiest texts to translate. They are displayed in a standar Windows message box, which is automatically resized to hold all the text it contains, so in those cases there's no problem in making a longer sentence. :)
The problem isn't in long sentences (although, they still need to be tested IMO as they can look realy ugly in those messageboxes), but the problem is that not all errormessages are (only) shown in textboxes. And not all errormessages in English depict all the events in which a particular error can occur.

but indeed, there are even better examples...
Messenger Plus! Translator v1.2.29 by Heyder on 10-09-2005 at 08:23 PM

Hi, Choli:
I have used the your translator to my job of translation of the Messenger Plus! to português from Brasil with success. Thank you. I don't know if my doubt was already posted and answered here in the forum (didn't give for reading everything). if yes, please show me.

:| In the translation of some (random) sentences, the program insists on adding a "s", "r" or "a" in the end of the sentence. What could be happening? I was not observed that happens in a certain session. . . but I think it is something random.
Thank you for support.
Dr. Heyder (H)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 10-11-2005 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Heyder
the program insists on adding a "s", "r" or "a" in the end of the sentence.
what do you mean with that? could you post an example of sentence where that happens?

The program is not supposed to do anything srtange with "s", "r" or "a" :-/

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Leif on 10-11-2005 at 07:07 PM

I've used this translator quite a lot myself. Never noticed it adding any letters by itself, though. Sounds really weird!

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Heyder on 10-16-2005 at 08:04 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Heyder
the program insists on adding a "s", "r" or "a" in the end of the sentence.
what do you mean with that? could you post an example of sentence where that happens?
The program is not supposed to do anything srtange with "s", "r" or "a" :-/
Hello, Choli:
The problem was in my computer and not in your software. Sorry. :(  Thank you.
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by giken on 04-05-2006 at 07:31 AM

Can I use this tool to translate MP!L too? :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Eddie on 04-05-2006 at 07:32 AM

Yes the tool can also be used to translate MP!L, atleast you can if i read a reply to one of my threads a short while back :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 04-05-2006 at 01:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by giken
Can I use this tool to translate MP!L too? :)
Of course you can. The only diferent thing is that when you select the original and translated files, by default, it shows Lang_*.ini files, and now the files are named Lng_*.ini ... just select "All files (*.*)" :P
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Mnjul on 04-13-2006 at 04:41 PM

I found a rather strange bug... :/ Take a look at the screenshot:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=633319]

The :-[ :-[ :-[ is displayed wrongly in the textboxes. It appears that some certain display-direction controllers have been inserted...

Anyway, it's nothing serious for that entry, but if this happens for other, "regular" entries then it'd be a pain in neck :)

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Matti on 04-13-2006 at 05:53 PM

quote:

The :-[ :-[ :-[ is displayed wrongly in the textboxes. It appears that some certain display-direction controllers have been inserted...

Anyway, it's nothing serious for that entry, but if this happens for other, "regular" entries then it'd be a pain in neck :)

That's really weird... :-/
* Matti wonders how that comes... *-)
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 04-13-2006 at 07:15 PM

quote:

I suspect this is due to your used language in Windows or something. IIRC you have had other problems too with other programs because you're using Chinese Windows or something, no?

This would be the same cause I's suspect.

Note: I don't have this bug (English Windows)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 04-13-2006 at 09:14 PM

hehe... that's a known bug, but as noone had reported it before, I assumed that I was the only who knew about it :refuck:

When I noticed the bug, it was with the text "3,1", which is used in a special key in the spanish translation. It happened something similar: the symbol (in this case, the comma) appears after the following character: "31,". I tried to fix it, but I still don't know why it happens.

In my tests, I saw a very interesting thing: Just after opening the translator, the first key you display does not have the problem: Make this test, Mnjul, Cookie...: Open the translator, select the files and go to that key. It should be displayed correctly. Now, go to another key and go back to the first one. The problem is there :P In order to "fix" the problem, you have to close and restart the translator again.

quote:
Anyway, it's nothing serious for that entry, but if this happens for other, "regular" entries then it'd be a pain in neck
Don't worry. Under very concrete circumstances, it may happen with other texts, but as long as I know, it happens in texts that have a comma "," or a dash "-" between non-letter characters and without spaces. For example: ":-[", "2,3", "333-444" and not these ones: "2, 3", "qqq-www". These texts which cause the bug are the less common ones.

But these is an important thing to say: This is only a bug concerning the display of the text. What you write in the text area, goes directly to the file and it is written correctly, even if after that, it is displayed wrong.

Anyway, if you doubt, I'd suggest to review the file for those texts that may have commas of dashes without spaces. :)

Thanks for reporting ;)
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 04-13-2006 at 09:40 PM

quote:
In my tests, I saw a very interesting thing: Just after opening the translator, the first key you display does not have the problem: Make this test, Mnjul, Cookie...
indeed... confirmed... selecting after selecting other keys and I too have it...

RichEditControl bug?
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 04-13-2006 at 11:27 PM

quote:
RichEditControl bug?
mmm.... I'm not very sure... take into accout that in order to show the text, the translator program creates the RTF code to be put in the RichEditControl, ie: the text I get from the file is not directly sent to the control so there may be a bug in there.... on the other hand, if the bug is there, why is the text shown correctly the 1st time? :P
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by kostas_pav on 07-01-2006 at 09:25 PM

Does it work for translation with Messenger Plus! Live?

EDIT: Well it works... I'll try translate in Greek :D

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by [Sebek] on 07-17-2006 at 09:10 PM

Choli add "Search" function.

Options:

"Search in translated text"

and

"Search in untranslated text"

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 07-17-2006 at 09:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by [Sebek]

Options:

and

for stuff like that I suggest to use a simple (or advanced, whatever you prefer) texteditor to create your language (eg: notepad).

The Translation tool is "only" a tool. It is not meant as the unique and only thing to make your entire translation in. If you do that, you'll find that your translation will actually contain many bugs, inconsistancies, etc...

Out of experience I can say that it is far easier to use your texteditor first (and to start a new translation, make a copy of the English file and use that as your base), and afterwards check your translation for missing keys and what not against the original english one with this Translation Tool.

;)

PS1: The above is meant in case you do use the tool as an unique and only thing to make your translation in... Despite that, a search function would be nice...

PS2: There is also a Translator Script for Plus!Live, which is in essence almost the same as this standalone tool. Also made by Choli.

^^ EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
Seems like the thread is in a private forum :p
God!!! This is the 6541654614th time already... Why are all those things in the beta testing forum (and why don't I check it first :$:$:$).... /me goes to report for moving it

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by [Sebek] on 07-17-2006 at 09:35 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by [Sebek]

Options:

and

for stuff like that I suggest to use a simple (or advanced, whatever you prefer) texteditor to create your language (eg: notepad).

The Translation tool is "only" a tool. It is not meant as the unique and only thing to make your entire translation in. If you do that, you'll find that your translation will actually contain many bugs, inconsistancies, etc...

Out of experience I can say that it is far easier to use your texteditor first (and to start a new translation, make a copy of the English file and use that as your base), and afterwards check your translation for missing keys and what not against the original english one with this Translation Tool.

;)

PS: The above is meant in case you do use the tool as an unique and only thing to make your translation in... Despite that, a search function would be nice...

Yes, you're right but it would be nice if we have there all in one, ultimate translation tool for Messenger Plus!
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Apatik on 07-18-2006 at 12:01 AM

quote:
PS2: There is also a Translator Script for Plus!Live, which is in essence almost the same as this standalone tool. Also made by Choli.

Seems like the thread is in a private forum :p
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 07-18-2006 at 10:04 PM

thanks for the suggestions, but my point of view is the same as cookie's. Anyway, i'm working on a new version of the translator, which fixes all the bugs of the current version and adds more features. Maybe I'll add the search thingy. But the progress is very slow, I don't have any free time, not even for reading a the forums and write this answer :P

quote:
THere are some problems with that script :P Maybe it doesn't work with the current version of Plus :refuck:. Thing in the scripting engine have changes since Patchou released the beta where it was tested :P. And I don't suggest to use it as your main tool for translating. It's still in beta stage and there are a lot of features missing (for example the one that detects missing keys). Use the last translator of the version 1.x (in the 1st post of this thread) instead.

When the new translator is ready, i'll post here, of course. There's no need to move that thread to a public place ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Thor on 08-15-2006 at 05:00 PM

Well, not to revieve this thread... But are you far in progress of the new translator? :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 08-15-2006 at 06:56 PM

I have a beta version, which is buggy and probably doesn't work with the current version of Plus Live. I won't release a new version until it has, at least, all the features of the current one. Anyway, now all the big work of the translation is already done, so it doesn't matter if the translator live is delayed :P

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Thor on 08-15-2006 at 07:03 PM

quote:
I have a beta version, which is buggy and probably doesn't work with the current version of Plus Live. I won't release a new version until it has, at least, all the features of the current one. Anyway, now all the big work of the translation is already done, so it doesn't matter if the translator live is delayed :P
err.. :S I got confused...

Are you making a new better .exe or a .plsc?
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 08-15-2006 at 07:38 PM

A plsc. Where would the point be if I do another exe? :P The current one works fine and handles the translation files of Plus Live as well as it did with the ones of the old Plus 3 ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Thor on 08-15-2006 at 07:41 PM

quote:
oint be if I do another exe?  The current one works fine and handles the translation files of Plus Live as well as it did with the ones of the old Plus 3
I wanted a .exe that works better with script translating (strings, xml), it doesn't work on all areas..  And tbh I don't want t .plsc so much, the .exe is better (if you ask me). :)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 08-15-2006 at 07:47 PM

The current exe will still be available for download ;). Anyway, if the translation program is only to translate Plus' files, why not doing it a script of plus? Also, doing it a script, I have some advantages: I have a nicer look, full support for RTL languages, no bugs of the rich edit control, no VB issues when converting unicode<->ansi, etc.... :P

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Thor on 08-16-2006 at 04:54 PM

quote:
l be available for download . Anyway, if the translation program is only to translate Plus' files, why not doing it a script of plus? Also, doing it a script, I have some advantages: I have a nicer look, full support for RTL languages, no bugs of the rich edit control, no VB issues when converting unicode<->ansi, etc....
Okey... I've just been using the .exe for translating scripts, and on my (crappy) comp the .exe actually works quite fast, and the scripts don't usually do that.. 8-) Well, thanks for telling. :)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 08-16-2006 at 10:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Zakk
Thai Translation

Hey There people. I would just like to know if there is a English to Thai translation available? Or is the " MsgPlusTrans" software capable of that.?
The software is not meant to do machine translations, nor is it a dictionnary. It is a tool to ease the hard labor that a human software translator needs to do.

To quote Tochjo:
quote:
It allows the translators of this program (and translators of other programs might use it as well) to quickly translate English text to another language. This is not a program that automatically translates text for you

PS: don't post your question in more than one thread please (especially not in threads which aren't related to your question)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by hotZED on 12-14-2006 at 01:14 PM

Hello.
I tried to make lng file for russian and i can't do it. It's not correct make translation for our native language.
For example:
my translation

code:
LanguageNameLocal=Ðóññêèé
MenuPreferences=&Íàñòðîéêè...
convert to
code:
LanguageNameLocal=?onneee
MenuPreferences=&Iano?ieee...
Maybe it's not support some codepage or convertion is not right?

And one more:
when choose file in file types is Translated files (Lang_*.ini) but must be Translated files (Lng_*.ini)
(i'm use Messenger Plus! Live 4.11.254)

(sorry for my bad english =)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 12-14-2006 at 09:29 PM

can you tell me which version of windows you have?

quote:
Originally posted by hotZED
Maybe it's not support some codepage or convertion is not right?
maybe. Note that you must start with a non-empty file. I mean, the translator reads some information form the file to (try to) display it correctly. That information includes at least the "character set" and the "rigth to left" keys in the first sections sections of the file. Maybe that's your problem.

Also when you create your file, assure you save it in Unicode format :)
quote:
Originally posted by hotZED
And one more:
when choose file in file types is Translated files (Lang_*.ini) but must be Translated files (Lng_*.ini)
(i'm use Messenger Plus! Live 4.11.254)
yeah, :P it's a known limitation. In Plus! 2 and Plus! 3, language files were names Lang_*.ini but now in Plus Live 4 they're Lng_*.ini. That will be fixed in the next version of the translator, which i'll release..... i don't know when :P Maybe someday I have nothing to do and continue coding it (it's already in progress)

just before clicking "Post Reply".... i'm thinking now that the CharacterSet key does no longer exist in the files of Plus 4. If you want, you can create it temporally in order this translator works correctly:
code:
[Font]
CharacterSet=put_here_your_char_set

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by hotZED on 12-15-2006 at 08:53 AM

quote:
Also when you create your file, assure you save it in Unicode format :)
That's why my translation file was incorrect... Now all right - it's look like i want. thx
(i saved it in utf-8 format (A))
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Heyder on 03-13-2007 at 01:51 PM

quote:
yeah, :P it's a known limitation. In Plus! 2 and Plus! 3, language files were names Lang_*.ini but now in Plus Live 4 they're Lng_*.ini. That will be fixed in the next version of the translator, which i'll release..... i don't know when :P Maybe someday I have nothing to do and continue coding it (it's already in progress)

After click in "..." button (at right of the field "Original file"), select "All files *.*" in bottom combo in this window. So, you look all "Lng_???.ini" files. :)
But, the update of Translator (great software!) is well coming!!!(Y)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by ag008 on 01-05-2008 at 03:41 PM

why I cant  start that translator every time is
"Run-time error '339':
Component 'Richtx32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Tochjo on 01-05-2008 at 03:58 PM

See the first post of this thread:

quote:
Notes:
If the program gives you an error of a missing file try to donwload this file: MPTF.exe (894 Kb). It's a self-extracting RAR compressed file which contains msvbvm60.dll, Richtx32.ocx and comctl32.ocx. (at least) These files are requiered in order the program can work.

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by ag008 on 01-06-2008 at 01:29 PM

quote:
See the first post of this thread:
quote:
Notes:

Thanks

If someone doesn't  now how to insert e.g. Ðóññêèé go to control panel-Regional and lang...-languages -details. and then select your language!
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Basilis on 03-27-2008 at 05:13 PM

It is very useful but it has something that annoys me very much. When you select another key, it goes back to English and so I have to push
Shift+Alt in order to go back to my original language and translate the key. Could this be fixed? Thanks. :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 03-28-2008 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
It is very useful but it has something that annoys me very much. When you select another key, it goes back to English and so I have to push
Shift+Alt in order to go back to my original language and translate the key. Could this be fixed? Thanks. :)
? What do you mean? If I select another key to be translated, the focus is still in the treeview. Nothing is 'switched' to English. And Shift+Alt isn't a real key combination. It doens't do anything.

Anyways, the Translator program can indeed use some small updates, but it has been a very long time since Choli made it and he also once said he wont make any updates since it does still work though.

I would be glad to aid Choli in case he doesn't have the time though :p
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Basilis on 03-28-2008 at 05:53 PM

Shift + Alt is used to change language. So, I have Greek as my language and when I finish translating a key and move to another, it goes back to English. That is what I mean.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 03-28-2008 at 07:49 PM

quote:
he also once said he wont make any updates since it does still work though.
quick note: i won't update the current version (at least whili it is compatible and works with the correct files of plus). However that doesn't mean I won't release any other new version. In fact (maybe cooki will remember) I started to do version 2 of the translator when Plus 4.0 was still in beta stage; but the scripting API and scripts capabilities were still too poor; and I don't think that version would work with current Plus version.

Anyway, maybe now it's time to make a newer version... at least, Plus scripts can do way more things than before :P
quote:
I would be glad to aid Choli in case he doesn't have the time though
thank you. I'll keep it in mind ;)
quote:
Shift + Alt is used to change language
to change language where? Not in my program, afaik :P

quote:
I have Greek as my language and when I finish translating a key and move to another, it goes back to English. That is what I mean.
sorry, but i don't understand you. Could you, maybe, post a screen shot of what you mean?
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Apatik on 03-28-2008 at 08:12 PM

He's talking about the keyboard layout switching thing in Windows. Alt+Shift does change the input language of your keyboard, if you set multiple languages to be available through that feature, that is.

Cannot reproduce the bug here, though.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Basilis on 03-28-2008 at 08:16 PM

Exactly. So, could we set a keyboard language that doesn't change when you save one key and get to the other? Only if it is possible

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 03-28-2008 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
He's talking about the keyboard layout switching thing in Windows. Alt+Shift does change the input language of your keyboard, if you set multiple languages to be available through that feature, that is.
ah!, i didnt know that
quote:
So, could we set a keyboard language that doesn't change when you save one key and get to the other? Only if it is possible
i didn't know that that happens with my program... in fact i did not do anything on pourpose to do that (even more: i didn't ever think about having several keysobard sets and the possibility of using one or other)

Anyway, I think that the problem may come because of the way the RichEdit control works; and I don't think I can do much to change that, sorry. In any case, review which is your predefined keyboard language in the control panel.
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Basilis on 03-28-2008 at 08:35 PM

It is Greek. Anyway, I don't mind. Your program is awesome and it helped me very much translating Plus into Greek. Keep up the good work!

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 03-29-2008 at 02:24 AM

Isn't it so that a RichEdit control can have its own 'input locale' (=combination of input language and keyboardlayout)? Maybe this can be set by some API (EM_SETLANGOPTIONS? EM_SETTEXTMODE? EM_SETIMESTATUS? WM_INPUTLANGCHANGEREQUEST? LoadKeyboardLayout? ActivateKeyboardLayout? dunno). In that case it might be possible to set it the same as the user's global input language setting. Although, I can imagine that this on its turn might be inconvenient for people who want to translate for example Chinese when their global input language is set to English (thus the opposite of what Basilis is experiencing). Could be an option....

---------------------------------

quote:
quick note: i won't update the current version (at least whili it is compatible and works with the correct files of plus).
But it could be made a bit more convenient with small changes though (like the standard file selections which are still for Plus! 3, enabling drag and drop for the language file inputs, and a sizeable window). For this I would gladly help/do it, if you don't want to bother :p.

quote:
However that doesn't mean I won't release any other new version. In fact (maybe cooki will remember) I started to do version 2 of the translator when Plus 4.0 was still in beta stage;
Of course, the other day someone requested for an aid in translating and I suggested both to them (this standalone, and the beta script): CookieRevised's reply to Czech translation for Plus! Live 4.60.0.324

* CookieRevised even thinks this Translator is such a 'classic' that it should be listed in the Plus! Tools section in the DB :D

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Basilis on 03-29-2008 at 10:17 AM

One last suggestion. Could you make the window able to maximize or at least be a little bigger?

EDIT: Also, it would be helpful if we could copy past text?

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 03-29-2008 at 01:27 PM

quote:
Isn't it so that a RichEdit control can have its own 'input locale' (=combination of input language and keyboardlayout)?
maybe, but in that case, how is it possible that when Basilis sets it once, it changes automatically back to english when another key is selected?
quote:
In that case it might be possible to set it the same as the user's global input language setting. Although, I can imagine that this on its turn might be inconvenient for people who want to translate for example Chinese when their global input language is set to English (thus the opposite of what Basilis is experiencing). Could be an option....
yep, that's a problem.

but there's something else: when i did the program, there were several problems with RTL languages and with languages which don't use the english codepage, so I did some "protection" code against those cases. I think that that may be the reason of Basilis' problems. I don't think I can fix it, as that would break other parts of the program, or the program when it runs in other enviorments :/

What you can do, Basilis, is adding a new section and value in your file, maybe that would make the program work correctly: The translators reads [Font]>CharacterSet and with the value tries to do some things to improve the text displayed in the RichEdit... so, try to add this in your file
code:
[Font]
CharacterSet=<whatever_charset_you_use>

and remember to remove that before submiting the file :P
quote:
like the standard file selections which are still for Plus! 3, enabling drag and drop for the language file inputs
that's easy to do :) Maybe i'll have some free time today or tomorrow, i can do it.
quote:
and a sizeable window
quote:
Could you make the window able to maximize or at least be a little bigger?
for now, I prefer to keep the window with a fixed size. I'll make it bigger, however.
quote:
Also, it would be helpful if we could copy past text?
you can use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V already, can't you?
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Basilis on 03-29-2008 at 01:45 PM

quote:
you can use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V already, can't you?
I didn't know that. Thank you Choli.
Messenger Plus! Live Translator 1.2.32 by Choli on 03-29-2008 at 04:30 PM

New version :O!

quote:
Could you make the window able to maximize or at least be a little bigger?
guess what? I did a private version for myself where the window was bigger, so I didn't notice that for today's sreen sizes the old translator window size was too small :P In fact, I've forgotten that I made it bigger.

Anyway, I've made it even bigger (maybe now it's too big :lol: Let me know in that case). Also, I've added drag'n'drop for the files :banana: You can drop the files in the program and they'll be opened in the same way as if you've selected the files using the button "[...]". The new version also has "support" for Plus! live (4.x) files. That "support" is nothing more that being able to select them in the open dialog, as Cookie suggested.

There is nothing else apart from those 3 changes.

The version, as always, in the first post ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Basilis on 03-29-2008 at 04:36 PM

Thanks Choli. You offer too much to the community

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Leo_IB on 02-04-2009 at 09:27 AM

Funciona a la perfecció, gràcies.

It works perfectly, thanks

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by touko on 05-11-2009 at 05:38 PM

This tool has some problem when I open existing translation for update. It shows several empty key-value pairs with exclamation mark icon.

Also it has some problem with typing Japanese or Korean characters.
I'm thinking of writing an equivalent tool in C++ or C#. For unicode and IME compatibility, using .NET for user interface and regular expressions would be a decent option. What is your idea?

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 05-11-2009 at 08:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by touko
It shows several empty key-value pairs with exclamation mark icon
That means that your translated file has those sections and/or keys but the original file doesn't.
quote:
Also it has some problem with typing Japanese or Korean characters.
Which ones? The tool is supposed to work correctly with Japanese and Korean characters.
quote:
For unicode and IME compatibility, using .NET for user interface and regular expressions would be a decent option
What do regular expressions have to do with Unicode? The text (Unicode or not) should be entered as is in the text box area and the program reads it and that's all... I don't see the need of regular expresions... the program should process the text without making any difference depending on the encoding or language.
quote:
I'm thinking of writing an equivalent tool in C++ or C#. What is your idea?
Well, of course you're free of writing whatever program you want.... but I don't see a real reason of doing so :P I think that the program works quite well and there are only a couple of small issues which are not very important and don't prevent the program for working correctly. In addition, I'm planing on doing a new version with more features and with those issues solved (and, of course, full real unicode support :P). But that will be during the following months, not tomorrow ;)

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by touko on 05-12-2009 at 02:14 AM

quote:

Which ones? The tool is supposed to work correctly with Japanese and Korean characters.
I actually haven't tested Japanese characters, but Korean chracters actually cause problem. It often fails to complete character composition.
quote:

What do regular expressions have to do with Unicode? The text (Unicode or not) should be entered as is in the text box area and the program reads it and that's all... I don't see the need of regular expresions... the program should process the text without making any difference depending on the encoding or language.

I mentioned using regular expressions because it can extract key-value pairs much more efficiently. Also, .NET common controls would perform better than native RichEdit, as I'm seeing some composition issues.
Besides input process, it is indeed not a problem. Everything would work fine.
quote:

Well, of course you're free of writing whatever program you want.... but I don't see a real reason of doing so :P I think that the program works quite well and there are only a couple of small issues which are not very important and don't prevent the program for working correctly. In addition, I'm planing on doing a new version with more features and with those issues solved (and, of course, full real unicode support :P). But that will be during the following months, not tomorrow ;)

Well, I hope you fix those issues. :) Actually I'm skeptical of writing a "public" tool since dealing with bi-directional text is a nightmare.

P.S: Bug report: buttons for browsing paths show weird chracters for me. (Broken Korean characters; supposedly charset issue.)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 05-12-2009 at 08:16 AM

quote:
I mentioned using regular expressions because it can extract key-value pairs much more efficiently.
Currently, the program uses GetPrivateProfileStringW and similar functions, therefore the handling of the *.ini files is as efficient as it can be (because it is handled by Windows) :).
quote:
since dealing with bi-directional text is a nightmare
I totally agree with you. In fact, my program does not handle very well right-to-left languages.
quote:
Bug report: buttons for browsing paths show weird chracters for me. (Broken Korean characters; supposedly charset issue.)
The text in those buttons is three dots: "..." You shouldn't have any problem viewing them. Are you using the default system font and the correct character encoding in your Windows?
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by touko on 05-12-2009 at 10:43 AM

quote:

Currently, the program uses GetPrivateProfileStringW and similar functions, therefore the handling of the *.ini files is as efficient as it can be (because it is handled by Windows) :).
Oh, I think I couldn't even think about it because I remember MS discouraged using it. Good pointing out.
quote:

The text in those buttons is three dots: "..." You shouldn't have any problem viewing them. Are you using the default system font and the correct character encoding in your Windows?

I think it should be, but it shows weird characters for me. DBCS locale (Korean) might be the cause. Once you release the new version with full unicode support, it would be fine (I guess).
RE: RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 05-12-2009 at 09:49 PM

quote:
quote:
Oh, I think I couldn't even think about it because I remember MS discouraged using it. Good pointing out
On a sidenote:
Actually MS never discouraged those APIs. Infact they are the prefered method when you work with INI files.
However, they do discourage (for whatever unclear reason) the use of INI files in favor of the registry for storing small amounts of program settings.

quote:
quote:
I think it should be, but it shows weird characters for me. DBCS locale (Korean) might be the cause.
That's very strange though. They should still show three dots as they are basic ascii codes. If they show weird characters, don't you have many other problems with other (non-Korean) applications too?
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by tristaa.n on 05-18-2009 at 03:10 PM

Prepairing a new sloven version with my friend
alredy testing it ;)

Slovenski,Slovenija

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by kekani95 on 02-05-2011 at 12:11 PM

Hi, everyone, I downloaded yesterday the Translator. It worked fine, but it automatically changed my input language to english and I couldn't write my language letters, so I've deleted it. After that, it didn't change my input lang anymore and I was translating "not being annoyed anymore". Today I started to translate with the tool, but when I input the 2 files, it crashes. In the moment, my lang bar disappears and appears again. Is it crashing just because I deleted the English input language? :/

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Arcticwolfx on 02-05-2011 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kekani95
Hi, everyone, I downloaded yesterday the Translator. It worked fine, but it automatically changed my input language to english and I couldn't write my language letters, so I've deleted it. After that, it didn't change my input lang anymore and I was translating "not being annoyed anymore". Today I started to translate with the tool, but when I input the 2 files, it crashes. In the moment, my lang bar disappears and appears again. Is it crashing just because I deleted the English input language? :/

I'm clueless as to whether or not the removal of English Input language causes the program to crash. However, looking at your initial problem of the input language being changed to English, there's a Windows hotkey combination you can use to switch between input languages while in the program. It's Alt+Shift (left side). That way you should be able to have English input language installed and still be able to write in your own language.

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 02-05-2011 at 07:30 PM

quote:
To clarify: are you realy talking about the Translator tool from Choli, which you have downloaded from this post:
Messenger Plus! Translator ?

Because at first I thought you were talking about something else, but now I'm in doubt. If you are talking about something else, say so, and the thread will be split to a more appropiate place. ;)

If you are talking about the Translator tool from Choli, than that shouldn't influence you Windows input language though.... (there is nothing in the program which manipulates the input language if I checked correctly)... So, maybe it could be that you accidently pressed the hotkey to switch input languages, like Arcticwolfx suggested?
PS: you can disable these language-switch hotkeys in Windows though. You actually don't need them either if you use the language bar in Windows.

And this said, if your native language is a western language or something you don't need multiple input languages. You can safely remove every other language you might have installed or enabled in that case. Of course, if you use languages like Arabic, Chinese, etc... and you also want to use the English keyboard, then yeah, you need multiple input languages I think.

The crashing... dunno... It never has crashed on me (and I have used it extensivly).

What windows version are you using btw?

PS: fyi, the Translation Tool from Choli is a very good tool, but it should also be used like that: like an additional tool. It shouldn't be used as the only single program to translate Messenger Plus! with!!! This is very important to know! To make a proper translation you do need to have the additional info in the original English translation file, which is not shown in the Translator Tool. In essence, the tool is excellent for checking for missing keys, redundant keys, etc, but not as the only tool to be used when translating.
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 02-05-2011 at 08:13 PM

quote:
there is nothing in the program which manipulates the input language if I checked correctly
that's correct. The only interaction of the program with the system, is reading and writting the translation files. The program does not change anything else (in particular, anything related with the keyboard settings).
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by kekani95 on 02-11-2011 at 03:21 PM

quote:
To clarify: are you realy talking about the Translator tool from Choli, which you have downloaded from this post:
Messenger Plus! Translator ?

Because at first I thought you were talking about something else, but now I'm in doubt. If you are talking about something else, say so, and the thread will be split to a more appropiate place.

If you are talking about the Translator tool from Choli, than that shouldn't influence you Windows input language though.... (there is nothing in the program which manipulates the input language if I checked correctly)... So, maybe it could be that you accidently pressed the hotkey to switch input languages, like Arcticwolfx suggested?
PS: you can disable these language-switch hotkeys in Windows though. You actually don't need them either if you use the language bar in Windows.

And this said, if your native language is a western language or something you don't need multiple input languages. You can safely remove every other language you might have installed or enabled in that case. Of course, if you use languages like Arabic, Chinese, etc... and you also want to use the English keyboard, then yeah, you need multiple input languages I think.

The crashing... dunno... It never has crashed on me (and I have used it extensivly).

What windows version are you using btw?

Yes, I am talking about the the Translator tool from Choli. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate. I've installed again the English input language, and it doesn't crash any more.  Now I have a new problem, when I write some letters from my language (ISO-8859-2) (some letters, like ž, not all),after save, I check it, and there aren't the letters I mentioned.
And it always changes the input language to English, so I just use hotkey. Anyway, thanks for help ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 02-11-2011 at 11:57 PM

quote:
when I write some letters from my language (ISO-8859-2) (some letters, like ž, not all),after save, I check it, and there aren't the letters I mentioned.
where are not  there those letters? In the file (if you open it with notepad) or in the application?
quote:
some letters, like ž, not all
are those letters special in any way? what do they have in common (that the other letters don't have)?
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by kaiconan on 08-17-2011 at 09:39 AM

I've got translation problem.

I use MsgPlusTrans.exe to translate the *.ini file, but once I press save in the MsgPlusTrans.exe and select other section then go back the one I saved, it shows empty in the translated texts.

Which means I cannot edit it, just stay in blank(empty)

Does the problem common? or just me have this kind problem?

with windows 7 (32bits)

RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by CookieRevised on 08-17-2011 at 10:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kaiconan
I've got translation problem.

I use MsgPlusTrans.exe to translate the *.ini file, but once I press save in the MsgPlusTrans.exe and select other section then go back the one I saved, it shows empty in the translated texts.

Which means I cannot edit it, just stay in blank(empty)

Does the problem common? or just me have this kind problem?

with windows 7 (32bits)
That shouldn't happen. One of the reasons I can think of why it happens is that the permission is not set correctly for the folder and/or file you're writing too (and the translator tool not showing an error message but simply 'ignoring' it). Since Windows Vista such stuff needs to be taken in account. So, make sure you (and thus the translator tool) have full reading and writing permissions. Although, I must say, this seems very unlikely to be the case because it should at least show the 'old' key then I suppose.

Can you check, after you pressed 'save', that the change has actually been saved? To do this you need to open the translation file with eg:Notepad after you've pressed 'save' and see if the change has been done.

Another reason might be that some files need to run the Translator tool aren't properly installed. I'm talking about the Visual Basic Runtime Libraries which you'd need. Although, if something wasn't properly installed I suppose the tool wouldn't run at all...

Or, maybe there is some incompatibility between the Translator tool and Chinese, although nobody has reported a similar problem before with such unicode languages.
RE: Messenger Plus! Translator by Choli on 08-17-2011 at 10:07 AM

quote:
That shouldn't happen. One of the reasons I can think of why it happens is that the permission is not set correctly for the folder and/or file you're writing too (and the translator tool not showing an error message but simply ignoring it). Since Windows Vista such stuff needs to be taken in account. So, make sure you (and thus the translator tool) have full reading and writing permissions.
That may be a reason, sure; but I can't understand why happens. When a section/key is selected, the translation tool reads the file. If it was able to read teh first time, why the second time (after writting) fails or reads empty? Either the tool has write premissions (in that case it should read the new written value) or the tool does not have write premissions (and in that case it should read the previous value).

Anyway, as Cookie said, please check with notepad if the file has been modified. :)