Shoutbox

Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Translation (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+----- Thread: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 (/showthread.php?tid=31802)

Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by panos78 on 09-20-2004 at 09:41 PM

Hallo,
As you know the 2 latest releases of Plus! don't support greek.
For the 3.1.94 version I published a translation as you already know.
The problems are two:
First why the greek translation wasn't in the latest released version (3.2)?
And second when I tried to copy the lang_greek.ini in the resources directory, the next time I opened Plus! it was in Arabic!!!!! I wonder what the problem might be???
Thanks for any answer.

RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by Choli on 09-20-2004 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by panos78
eliminated languages
quote:
And second when I tried to copy the lang_greek.ini in the resources directory, the next time I opened Plus! it was in Arabic!!!!! I wonder what the problem might be???
what language did you have selected before? are you sure the file you copied was right?
RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by Patchou on 09-20-2004 at 11:26 PM

The Greek language was removed some time ago because it hadn't been updated. Please send me your translation file for version 3.20 at mplus-trans@patchou.com . If it's complete, I'll include it in the next release and I'll add you on the official translator list.

RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by CookieRevised on 09-23-2004 at 05:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
quote:
eliminated languages
IIRC, I remember that there were still (major) "errors" in the updated version and that was why it was removed before in Plus! 3 (when there was still no talk of limiting the amount of languages): ampersand collisions, too long lines, etc...

references:
"Bug" in greek translation
Greek in Plus! 3 (<== the reason why Greek was removed, not updated properly)
Greek Translation Finished

But panos78 did fix most of those errors though....
RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by panos78 on 09-27-2004 at 04:50 PM

I don't have a problem to update the translation for 3.2 but I cannot use the translation I had made before!
It is not even visible in the lahguage list!

RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by CookieRevised on 09-27-2004 at 05:31 PM

because you didn't set the correct compatibilitylevel....

RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by panos78 on 09-27-2004 at 05:36 PM

How can I do this?

I found it!
I put this
compatibilitylevel=3096
and it works.
In a few minutes I will finish the translation!

I just send the language file to Patchou.
Hope to see on the next release!
Enjoy.

RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by CookieRevised on 09-27-2004 at 06:32 PM

quote:
I found it!
I put this
compatibilitylevel=3096
and it works.
This (among other important things) is also explained in the Translation Guidelines. If you didn't read them yet, now is the time to do so ;)

http://files.msgplus.net/data/TranslationGuidelines.doc

quote:
I just send the language file to Patchou.
Hope to see on the next release!
Enjoy.
btw, with a new translation the rule is to place it first on the forums so it can be checked by other people... In that way errors will be fixed before it is send to Patchou so Patchou wont get 10 mails with each a new update to the translation...

So post it here, wait a couple of days and when the file is checked enough, then send it to Patchou (or Patchou will notice this thread and d/l the file himself)

;)
RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by panos78 on 09-27-2004 at 07:19 PM

This is the file I have sent to Patchou.
Confirmations please!
:)

RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by Leif on 09-27-2004 at 07:54 PM

The line with "... Unicode ... Windows 2000 ..." seems to be far too long. Patchou shortened that particular line considerably in this version.

RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by panos78 on 09-27-2004 at 10:03 PM

I shorten it as Patchou did.
Thanks.
Any other mistakes?

RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by CookieRevised on 09-27-2004 at 11:19 PM

I found some lines which are too long. (you might want to check all the text in the preferences panels (and the menutitles))

Also, do you have to use that font? I mean without selecting that font the greek characters show up just fine (and if they do, then no special font should be used)

Some words aren't translated (Forum, alias, ..) dunno if it is intentional or not though...

anyways, I give more details later, now going to sleep...

RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by panos78 on 09-28-2004 at 09:02 AM

I checked again the text in the preference panels and in the menu titles.
I believe I have corrected all the long texts.
I also removed the font options. I don't use it!
For the words that remain in English, the greek translation is too big so I left it in English.
The updated file is on the first post!

RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by CookieRevised on 09-28-2004 at 11:59 AM

allmost there ;)

(note that I removed the actual texts, because this forum can't show the Greek Unicode font. I've attached the same post with the Greek as an unicode textfile though)

----
To be coherent with the rest of the translation, I would remove the "." at the end of these texts:
(you only put a "." at the end of these two options, other options don't have the point at the end.)

[PrefDlg.LocalSettings]
ANSILog=
UnicodeLog=

----
I don't know Greek, but this seems like an error, or not?
A forgotten accent on the second letter in "auto."?
(it is there in AcceptReqListNoFiles, so maybe an error?)

[PrefDlg.IMGenOptions]
AcceptReqListAll=
AcceptReqListFiles=
AcceptReqListNoFiles=

----
Some strings which are still too long:

This is too long only if the menu is highlighted; When it is selected and becomes bold, part of the text is cut off:
[Dialog.Preferences]
ListPersoStat=

These doesn't fit in various pulldown menu's like in the status-select menu in Boss Protection or "auto change status after x minutes" pulldown menu (this is the shortest menu, so check it with this). Also, if you change these, don't forget to change them also in other keys (to be coherent).
[MessengerEvents]
AppearOffline=
Away=

These don't fit at all. Text is cut off:
[Dialog.ContactInfo]
MaybeOnList=
ContactPlus=

----
Then some other incoherent things:
sometimes you use ",...", sometimes you use ", ..." (thus with the space inbetween). I suggest to put a space inbetween everywhere.
sometimes you use "text:", sometimes you use "text :" (thus with the space inbetween). I suggest to remove the space everywhere.

----
About the not translated words:
Isn't there any alternative? Or can you make the actual sentences shorter, so the words can be translated? It doesn't look very good when there are still english words left. "Forum / IRC" in the about window is of course a special case. I mean, no sentence to shorten here, but isn't there any alternative you can use? I'm just wondering though....

RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by panos78 on 09-28-2004 at 01:30 PM

I made most of the changes you suggested.
Except:
[Dialog.ContactInfo]
MaybeOnList=

where it cannot be reduced more.
For ", ..." I did it ",...".
The non translated texts that were left are:
Presets
pop-up
which cannot be translated unless another Greek knows how they can be translated.
I updated the file on the first post.

RE: RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by CookieRevised on 09-28-2004 at 06:24 PM

quote:
I made most of the changes you suggested.
(y)

quote:
Except:
[Dialog.ContactInfo]
MaybeOnList=

where it cannot be reduced more.
Are you sure? I mean, I don't doubt your translation abilities, but the thing that needs to be translated is a sentence. And a sentence (if needed) can always be translated in a very short, to the point one, or even in only some words....

English Example:

"You may, or may not, be on the list of this contact (information not available)."

To solve such things you need to ask yourself: What does it really mean and when do you get the message? And what is the true point of the message?

It means that Plus! couldn't get any info on this, and thus can't be certain if you are on the list or not. This means that it also can be said as:
  "You may, or may not, be on the list of this contact."
  "You are maybe on the list of this contact."
  "You may be on the list of this contact."
Or
  "You may, or may not, be on his/hers contactlist."
  "You are maybe on his/hers contactlist."
  "You may be on his/hers contactlist."
And even (not entirly correct):
  "Information not available."
And that can even be:
  "Unknown"
  "n/a"

And still all those sentences will be correct...

So you see that you don't need to translate it literally if there isn't enough room, as long as the message is still correct. And it is much better to have a "not-so-detailed" short-message then a "complete full blown sentence with some nice adjectives" message which will be cropped anyway. Because that looks realy unprofessional and should really really be avoided.

I know that in some language things can be longer then the original English text (Dutch, my language, is one of those languages). Yet there is _always_ a way to say things in a shorter way. Even if you need 2 days to come up with one (I know I had to crack my head for several things like that, but in the end, it worked out...)

Now all this said, the keys OnList, NotOnList and MaybeOnList are still currently not used in Messenger Plus! So don't bother about it too much, but as soon as Patchou is going to use them (if he finds a way to actually "grab" the reversed contact info in a good reliable way) they will need to be as long/short as the sentences in ContactPlus, ContactMaybePlus and ContactNoPlus.

;)
RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by panos78 on 09-28-2004 at 10:04 PM

I get the point.
I translated it!
Let's wait for a couple of days if there are any other mistakes
I put the updated file on the first post.

RE: Problems with greek translation in Plus 3.2 by panos78 on 10-03-2004 at 12:59 PM

I thing it's time to send the translation to Patchou!