Shoutbox

remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 (/showthread.php?tid=35118)

remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by NiteMare on 12-02-2004 at 03:26 AM

i think patchou should put the hide advertisment bar option back in, the little thing gets very annoying

if not, is there anywhere i could find a pluging the dose that?

RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by Dansha on 12-02-2004 at 08:16 AM

Patchou has valid reasons for not supporting ad banner removal in MSN Messenger 7, however, I can see how it's hard for some people to understand why. I don't think he will be adding it back, however...

There are other patches that do remove ads in MSN Messenger 7. One place that those patches are available is Mess.be. Go to the Messenger 7 section, you will find a list of patches.

Good luck!

RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by CookieRevised on 12-02-2004 at 08:29 AM

No, Patchou wont put it back in.

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Patchou adds an optional sponsor to earn money. It's optional, but if nobody installs it, Patchou doesn't earn money, so Patchou wants that people installs the sponsor (maybe not all his users, but some percentage). In this scenario, isn't it strange that Patchou removes the banner, that gives MS money? I understand Patchou and his decission. The same as Patchou, behind Messenger there are lots of programmers that have to earn money. MS gets that money from the ads in messenger. So it's illogical that Patchou will remove the banner, imo.
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Since patchou has his own (optional) sponsor program, he knows that the money they make by showing these ads is important to them.
quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
So why didn't Patchou removed it in previous releases then?
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I removed it only now because the technical change in Messenger 7 forced me to reconsider the feature.

Please, try to understand, I know some of you really don't like this but it is final (and its not like mess.be didn't offer alternatives).

(...)

I assure you that Microsoft never asked me to remove this option from Messenger. But again, they want Messenger 7 to start generating some real revenue for them and I'm not going to cause them troubles. There will always be other addons/patches to do that anyway so you'll always have an option, one way or the other.

You can find patches on http://www.mess.be/ to remove the banner.
Note that patching the executable of MSN/Windows Messenger is illegal.
RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by ogman on 12-03-2004 at 09:17 PM

Well, since this was the main reason I used Messenger Plus, thanks for having a nice program for a while. Goodbye.

RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by riahc4 on 12-03-2004 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ogman
Well, since this was the main reason I used Messenger Plus, thanks for having a nice program for a while. Goodbye.

pfff then your pretty dumb if your used Plus! for this reason. You downloaded a 3+MB program when you could have downloaded a 100KB patch and remove it. Dumbass (sorry for the flame)

Patchou wont put this back because like when he put his sponser program he did it to eat so he noticed that MSN has got to eat to with its ads. You can remove this with patches from Mess.be He removed it because he wont like someone/thing to remove his sponser either.
RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by zaidgs on 12-03-2004 at 11:30 PM

i think i read before that applying patches can break plus! compatability sometimes, especially the polygamy patches.
will applying hide ad-banner patches cause any trouble for
plus ?!?!

personally, i wish thats plus could be all-in-one program,
and not using several programs beside plus to get stuff the way i like. i wish this could hold true, i thought that after signing-in with any status was added to msn7, i will not need anything other than plus (as that was the only missing thing for me) ....

anyways, just sm1 tell me, does patching messenger conflict with plus...

RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by leito on 12-03-2004 at 11:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zaidgs

Not the ones in Mess.be
RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by Dash Rendar on 12-07-2004 at 09:31 AM

Hi Everyone,

Whilst I most certainly respect Patchou's decision in principle, the argument about taking revenue away from M$ is pretty lame...

Lets remember that we are talking about one of the worst things that ever hapened to the IT industry here... They have essentially been butt F*%&ing the entire world ever since M$DOS became the defacto standard.

If you wanted to purchase M$Windows XP Pro & Office 2003 Pro, the cost is higher than an entire new computer!!

M$ can handle the loss of the few pennies the ads give them.. the programmers (although I believe most of them don't deserve the title) certainly aren't going to go hungry.. M$ employees are some of the best paid in the world!

Like I said, If patchou wants to take the ad banner removal out of Plus on a matter of principle, then that is his right, but those that think it's because M$ will lose revenue are living in Cloud Cuck-Coo Land!

Patchou: Keep it up! I Love Messenger Plus, it makes using Messenger almost bearable ;)

Dash

RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by Dansha on 12-07-2004 at 09:52 AM

That's very much beside the point. MSN Messenger is thanks to Microsoft, and I think Patchou has some respect for the product that he has based his software on.

Weather they are rich or poor isn't really an issue here. It's about principle. Maybe think of it from their point of view. If you created a Messenger program, but millions of people were able to bypass the ads which was a source of revenue for you, would you be slightly frustrated?

As for the fact that you don't think they'll lose money, well, do you know how much they get from it? Have you seen their figures? Do you know how they distribute their money around the company? Hmmm. They've put ads their for a reason.

Other patches remove them, Patchou doesn't want to be the one who is taking away a source of their income. It's not that difficult to understand. So just happily march along and use an alternative patch if the ads bother you (I can stand MSN Messenger ads, it's the AIM ads with stupid mouse over popups that are a pain).

Would you do the same in Patchou's position? I know I would.

RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by MessEnGer on 12-07-2004 at 11:21 AM

I support patchou with the removal of the advertisment bar option...

it something that should've been realised before and its quite amazing that nobody got even the faintest idea that msg plus was on the similar life support and advertisements were very important

great job patchou i think you made the right choice :)

RE: RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by VCE on 12-16-2004 at 05:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zaidgs
i think i read before that applying patches can break plus! compatability sometimes, especially the polygamy patches.
will applying hide ad-banner patches cause any trouble for
plus ?!?!

personally, i wish thats plus could be all-in-one program,
and not using several programs beside plus to get stuff the way i like. i wish this could hold true, i thought that after signing-in with any status was added to msn7, i will not need anything other than plus (as that was the only missing thing for me) ....

signing-in with any status in MSN7, where do i find it?
RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by Plik on 12-16-2004 at 05:44 PM

Where the MSN today button and the Email buttons go when your signed in.

RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by VCE on 12-16-2004 at 05:49 PM

I can't find it, does this look right?

RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by chris on 12-16-2004 at 06:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by VCE
I can't find it, does this look right?
sign out and look in that same spot ;)
RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by VCE on 12-16-2004 at 06:21 PM

aha, I was looking for a "default" setting

RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by matty on 12-16-2004 at 06:26 PM

I am not sure if the technical reason was posted or not for the banner removal but here is [b]MY[/b[ technical reason for it. Its not a part of revenue generation but the fact that the MSN Messenger team wrapped their entire contact list control (including tabs, the search bar, and advertisement bar, etc) in a DirectHUI window. From what I remember these are all created when the program is run they are not seperate controls so Patchou would need to change the entire banner HIDING (not Removal there is a big difference, Patchou hid the window and resized the contact list, he never removed it). Now since everything is stored in a UFile (hence the created at run time part) Patchou would have to try and patch the UFile in memory which is harder then just hiding the window.

Lets please stop bugging him about the banner removal as this feature is "dead" on MSN Messenger 7. Like stated before there are plenty of patchs available for MSN Messenger so...

Thats the end of my speil, I hope it made some sense, I am working on a little bit of sleep had a tossing and turning night... Time go go program...

I don't think i should do this tho, you guys trust me when you install my software... maybe I should program while awake)

RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by VCE on 12-16-2004 at 06:49 PM

Matty: u're not entirely correct, the tabs can be removed by changing your registry values

RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by matty on 12-16-2004 at 06:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by VCE
Matty: u're not entirely correct, the tabs can be removed by changing your registry values
Yes by Changing Display Tabs from 0 to 1 I know that, but they are wrapped into 1 control. They are still seperate but the main API handle is the same for all... the tabs may not be in the same API but whatever.
RE: RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by zaidgs on 12-17-2004 at 03:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by VCE
aha, I was looking for a "default" setting

if by "default" u mean that u specify the status before signing-n
then this screenshot should be the thing you want:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=348341]

but if by "default" u mean default in the most common sense,
i suggested that to patchou in this thread.
in which i suggest that the option in the previous screenshot
itself be set to a default status.

RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by Oguy123 on 04-09-2005 at 02:20 PM

I will no longer be recommending Messenger Plus, nor will I be using it.  The additional features are not useful to me and the only reason I kept it on my system was to remove the advertising bar at the bottom of Messenger.  Now that Microsoft is allowing logging (without Messenger+)  I can't too many reasons to keep Messenger Plus on my system...

RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7 by neoborn on 04-10-2005 at 06:23 AM

Here is a link to a tool that will allow you to remove the ad bar even though messenger plus has lost this functionality:

http://www.msgshit.com/downloads/447

It's called the MSN 7 Universal Patcher++

Hope this helps