Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Forum: Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+------ Thread: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future (/showthread.php?tid=35753)

Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Patchou on 12-18-2004 at 07:37 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm currently not at home and my remote desktop connection is not functionning properly so I can't work on Plus! tonight (and this rarely ever happens :)). I thought I could take the opporunity to talk a little about what's going on in the Messenger community these days, after all, I'm not posting that much these days.

As some of you already know, Messenger Plus! is now 3 years and a 1/2 old and despite some feature names that have been kept unchanged (like the Quick Texts), the current version has almost nothing to do with the first one that was released so long ago. The same goes for Messenger itself which has come a long way since version 3.6. In all that time, I somehow managed to keep your interest, often by filling some of the obvious lacks of Messenger (despite the fact that it's always been my favorite Messenger client) but with the imminent release of Messenger 7, I have to say, I have some doubts.

Messenger is starting to become a fully mature program, with lots of good stuff included out-of-the-box, and it seems that Messenger Plus! doesn't "shine" as much as it used to shine. I'm still spending more time than ever on the program, however, I refuse to add gadget features that look good at first and are not being used more than 2 or 3 times, and now, it seems that I'm starting to touch the end of what can be useful in an instant messaging program. On top of that, Microsoft seems to finally be catching up and some people are already talking about offline messaging, personalised statuses and other similar stuff in the next version of Messenger. Of course, I can't complain about that, these features should have been in the client a long time, it's just that it feels like Messenger Plus! will lose too much of its appeal and of course, that's not a idea I enjoy a lot :).

Note that I'm not complaining about the general popularity of my software, my download stats have never been so high, the sponsor is generating a nice revenue for me, everything on the business-side is fine. However, you have to admit that there are not as many posts on this forum as there used to be (this goes for almost any Messenger forum I know in fact), people are now just "used to" Plus!, some like it, some don't, but most people know it exists. Also, I just realised that the last real public update I released is more than 7 months old already... time flies! In all that time, I've been busy replying to people's concern, changing stuff in the sponsor program to make it les annoying for some people (and apparently, it worked), making all the necessary adjustements for a full Messenger 7 compatibility etc... it pains me to realise that I won't be able to release the new version before at least another month. However, there's good news in all this.

The version I'm preparing will not be labeled 3.40 but 3.50. Just like I did for Messenger Plus! 2.50 last year, I want this update to be worthwhile, I want to make sure people still have a couple of good reasons to reinstall Messenger Plus! right after they reinstalled Windows. Unfortunately, as I said above, it's becoming increasingly difficult to add new stuff that will be fun for more than 5 minutes, however, I think I can now announce you that in the past 3 weeks, I've been working on one big new feature for the next version. This feature will be compatible with any Messenger version from 4 to 7 and should boost everyone's interest :). I won't tell you now what this feature is but I can tell you that I never spent so much time on one given feature and I still probably have 2 weeks of work to put on it before it's ready to be beta tested (private testing, no more public beta before the release). The bad point is that it's the kind of feature that more "advanced" users will probably find to be useless, however, I'm pretty sure that everyone else will enjoy it a lot. How can I say such a thing? because I have my feature statistics of course! :) They've proven to be extremely useful and showed me how much this new feature could be appreciated, that's why I started to work on it in the first place.

So, I'm still working on it, there's a lot of stuff to do and I want it to be perfectly packaged by the time of the final release so please, be patient. If everything goes according to plan, I'll post screenshots in the middle of the month of January. Messenger Plus! is still packed with a lot of unique features, the new version will bring a couple of intersting improvements but I'm still putting all my hopes on this one big new feature. It is my hope that it will help Plus! to keep its place in your everyday chats, but in the end, you'll be the ones who decide about that. I'm just here to try to code what my users wish to see in the programs they use.

Thank you for reading, Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year! :gfdrin: :gfdrin: :gfdrin:
Patchou

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Mike on 12-18-2004 at 07:49 AM

Yes...
The truth is that I don't use Messenger Plus! too much these days... :(
I was using it much more when msn 6 didn't exist. (I was using Windows Messenger that time)

Like you said, the forums are beggning to die slowly...

Ahh... Good old times...

By the way, is the new feature you are talking about a scripting language for quick texts? :P

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Eljay on 12-18-2004 at 07:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
By the way, is the new feature you are talking about a scripting language for quick texts?:P
oo that would be nice :D

but i dont care what it is as long as its a cool new feature that patchou thinks will be useful.

:bow:Patchou:bow:
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by -dt- on 12-18-2004 at 07:58 AM

hmm :P does it have anything to do with that file upload php script that you wanted in the irc channel ?

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Eljay on 12-18-2004 at 08:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
hmm :P does it have anything to do with that file upload php script that you wanted in the irc channel ?
o yeh i forgot about that, did anyone make one for you in the end coz i was going to but didnt bother :P
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Weyzza on 12-18-2004 at 08:24 AM

No, Patchou.
That's not entirely true.

I'm still using and will keep using Messenger Plus! as an add-on for my messenger client.
For example, I prefer Plus!'s chat logs and encryption rather than MSN Messenger's.
I also love the auto-message and event log feature from Plus!.
Also MSN banner removal (I'm still using 6.2 :p)
And the best feature of all... Custom names.

I'd say I couldn't live without those features :)

And don't worry about Messenger Plus! going down.
I'm sure you'll come up with tons of ideas which people have never thought before.

So keep it up, Patchou (Y)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by WDZ on 12-18-2004 at 08:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
By the way, is the new feature you are talking about a scripting language for quick texts?
He said that "advanced" users would probably find the feature useless, and a scripting language is something that advanced users would love. :p

I'm guessing it will be something more "fun" like the sound commands, but I dunno. :-/

quote:
does it have anything to do with that file upload php script that you wanted in the irc channel ?
:o
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by ddunk on 12-18-2004 at 08:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
does it have anything to do with that file upload php script that you wanted in the irc channel ?
:o

[Dec-17-04|06:50:12] * Now talking in #msgplus
[Dec-17-04|06:50:12] * Topic is '[ Welcome to the Messenger Plus! Support Channel ][ Ask your question, then please wait ][ English only! ][ No Private Messages ][ Patchou is looking for a good web designer+coder capable of making a secure file upload script, contact mplus@patchou.com. ]

Although I may not use the core of Plus as much (besides logs and quicktexts), I'm constantly using plugins. We'll see about the future and hope for the best though.
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Anubis on 12-18-2004 at 09:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
The bad point is that it's the kind of feature that more "advanced" users will probably find to be useless
I wouldn't say that was really a bad point. There are still many people out there that use Messenger Plus and have no use for POP3 e-mail, because they have no idea what it is or how to use it...I can think of a few contacts I have who are amassed purely by the emoticon sounds :p...Messenger Plus covers features for all types of Messenger users, so I'm glad it isn't just the advanced users that are getting a feature to look forward to...
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by J.J on 12-18-2004 at 09:54 AM

I couldn't go without messenger plus, Patchou, as soon as the first beta version of msn 7.0 came out i downloaded it. However, i went straight back to 6.2 when i knew that plus wasn't compatible.

Its a great addon, and i hate instant messaging without it, just keep on surprising people with new features to keep them wanting more.

I can't wait to see your new feature, im looking forward to it :D

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by user27089 on 12-18-2004 at 10:38 AM

Agreed, I can't stand using MSN Messenger without having the little Plus! option up top and the little hot button thing, without it, MSN just seems useless, and a normal Instant messaging program, but when you have installed messenger plus, the amount of features just astonish me basically, I actually love the extension, and couldn't live without it on my pc, hence the reason whenever I go to my mates houses, I have to download it for them (and also stuffplug tb :p)

Don't worry about Messenger Plus, I'm sure that you will have loads of features that are going to come out, that will amaze and astonish people to be honest, Messenger Plus! is a forever growing Extension for MSN Messenger, and I will always use it, even if it became something that I had to pay for, I would still use it to be honest, thats the dedication that you have from most of the uses of Messenger Plus, they all love if, No doubt....

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by user35870 on 12-18-2004 at 10:41 AM

i have to say  like when i joined here back in the summer (08-30-04) it was packed with people on the forum but i have noticed it has died down just a bit from then but i am sure patchou will find new features to keep it the best msn messenger extension ever (It is all ready :D)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Millenium_edition on 12-18-2004 at 10:44 AM

Indeed, if you're scared msgplus will die one day, you'll always notice great plugins such as stuffplug NG to bring new life in plus... Always.

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by x2zen on 12-18-2004 at 10:48 AM

I have using Plus! since ver. 1.40 (can't remember the exact number), and I allways will use it, MSN Messenger is nothing without Plus!

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Stephen on 12-18-2004 at 10:53 AM

Yeah! :D

MSN Messenger is nothing without Plus!!

Well-Done

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by user35870 on 12-18-2004 at 10:57 AM

the first ever version i used was i think 301 when i started using in the summer i can tell it has made msn messenger so much better msn is like nothing with out messenger plus! :)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by theguy on 12-18-2004 at 11:01 AM

I think i started with version 2.something (very early anyway, think it 2.00.15 or around there, but not sure) when a friend sent me the program. It was really good then and it continues to get better.

Happy Holidays,
theguy

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Hank on 12-18-2004 at 11:05 AM

when i started using  Messenger Plus back in the early 2.0 days an up i loved it an still do  . sure i dont use all of the Features in Plus but its always been Great to have them there if an when i wanted to use them. without Plus Hooked onto Msn Messenger its just a plain borring messenger client ,

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by user27089 on 12-18-2004 at 11:07 AM

I can see that some of us have started using Messenger Plus at different times over the past 3 and a half years, it just shows whether or not the different lengths of times that people have used the extension, they love the features that it has given msn messenger and wouldn't be used without it, they show a real dedication, and have lots of gratitude for the extension itself.

I personally started using Messenger plus! in Late October 2003 or early November 2003

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by user35870 on 12-18-2004 at 11:11 AM

i agree traxor i could never use msn messenger without it again (don't no how i used it without plus! before i new about it) :)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Hank on 12-18-2004 at 11:11 AM

Cant exactly remember when i started using it, but all i remember is my Computer Techie Mate told me bout Plus so i downloaded it, an yeah i Googled for it to find it :)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Stephen on 12-18-2004 at 11:22 AM

Nice one! I love it, Goes to gether nicly and everything. :D

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Fergy on 12-18-2004 at 11:32 AM

I first used Messenger Plus when i first used MSN Messenger about 1.5 years ago.

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by GiantSpider on 12-18-2004 at 12:15 PM

I remember about this time last year Patch was relasing a update. People wll still use Plus! as long as MSN still lacks key things. And with MS at the wheel you can bet you'll be in demand for a while.

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Pure_BY on 12-18-2004 at 12:45 PM

Patchou, no matter how good MSN Messenger 7, 8, 9, 10, Premium, whatever will be... We will never loose the interest in Messenger Plus! project, at least I won't! I love your peace of software, and, be sure, I enjoy it really a lot, every time I use a color message, a sound, a quick text, an auto-away message... I don't just "forget about it, get used to it", no, really not!!! I am really STILL thinking: "How good that it's there! :) How good that Patchou keeps supporting this great plug-in, how good that he takes care of his own users so much... I would get bored and go to do something else, and he, he keeps working on it and making it better and better! How good such a man exists!!!"

You might think, I'm exaggerating, but I am not. I really keep enjoying your software every single time I make a use of it, and that is hours and hours of every single day!!

So.. Don't think we are forgetting about MsgPlus!, or thinking that MsgPlus! and it's updates are a part of daily-Earth-around-itlelf-turning (sorry, I don't know the English term for that)!!!

We love your software and we enjoy it! :)

Again, big thanks for keeping MsgPlus! alive!!! :)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by The Napster on 12-18-2004 at 12:54 PM

I used since Plus! v2 (Can't remember exact number) i think, and i could not live without Plus! And, yeah MSN Messenger seems so plain withou the Plus! menu at the top. And i hope Plus! never dies, that would be like the end of the world for me :p .

Go Messenger plus!

Merry christmas and a happy new year ppl!

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Underlord on 12-18-2004 at 02:03 PM

I shall be waiting for that beta :chrongue:.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you also :).
Have fun coding :gfdrin:.

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by John Anderton on 12-18-2004 at 02:18 PM

I totally love mesenger plus! Its got some awesome features like boss protection & enryption to files. But by far my favorite has been the custom names feature cause i really hated the fact that people type extremely long online names. I really think thats annoying. So i feel that using custom names is totally cool.
Thankz for all the gr8 work u've done. :clap:
I Salute u :bow: Patchou :bow:

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by brianjdupuis on 12-18-2004 at 03:48 PM

I just want to first congratulate Patchou on an amazing 3 & 1/2 years, without Patchou making msgPlus! I don’t think Msn Messenger would have survived as succefully as it has.... So I think Microsoft should be giving you a pat on the back (and a big check of 1 million dollars :P). I also wanted to repeat what some people have said already so far noo matter how many versions msn makes either 8,9,10 and so on and how ever many good features they implement we will always keep standing by your side and we know that you will have good times and bad times but we also know that you will continue making a great product for your clients!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
God Bless
Brian D

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by fluffy_lobster on 12-18-2004 at 07:35 PM

Of course, what you're saying is true.  As a plugin there's only so much fuss that you can make of it... it's primarily there to be taken for granted.  However, I don't think msn will ever be the same without Plus!.  Not only does Plus! give it the edge that MSN lacks, but no matter how much Microsoft seems to work, you always seem to have the flair and judgement to produce something better.

The true value of the project, I think, however, is the community that you've built around it.  That's something which will go on no matter what happens on the software front, and you should be very proud.

I think I have a hunch what the new feature is ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Chrono on 12-18-2004 at 08:39 PM

its great to know about this new  lil big feature! :banana:. btw:

quote:
However, you have to admit that there are not as many posts on this forum as there used to be (this goes for almost any Messenger forum I know in fact)
maybe, but did you check the registration statistics?
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/statistics.php?page=reg

We had a new record last month :o!
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Sk3tch on 12-18-2004 at 08:48 PM

Patchou, as time moves on things change and new things become old things, and more new things arise. Honestly, I’ve used Messenger Plus! so long now that to me, it IS part of messenger. Its hard to install messenger these days and not have the urge to download your software. And because of this, you will never loose interest in those who use your software. Everyone has different things they like about Messenger Plus! Some like the Custom names.. being able to multi-color texts and send sounded messages to their friends, others like it for the quick-texts and email notifications..  ect. But all in all, there really isn’t any feature that goes un-used. Saying that, its true that these days MSN Messenger is becoming more advanced and is adding more and more new features (Not always for the best) but the thing about that you have to realize is, its the exact same for your Program too. When MSN Messenger upgrades, Messenger Plus! upgrades, when new features are added to Messenger.. Messenger Plus! adds new features. And its true that things like Custom Statuses and things like that could be added in the future.. but don't forget that in the future.. you will be coming up with more and more ideas, and some of them could even be to customize the new features of messenger! There will always be something new..  but there will always be something that isn’t there. I will and always support you and your software 100%, and i hope that you wont let the on-going production of Messenger get you down.

Great news to hear about the new feature.. can't wait to see what it is..

Sketch :)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by ZrednaZ on 12-18-2004 at 08:51 PM

I partly disagree with you, Patch...

MSN Messenger is nowhere near mature compared to the maturity sensation when Plus! is installed...

The only thing that has brought Messenger closer to maturity is that chat logging function, and that was introduced in version 6.0. Hence, no new issues since then! I mean seriously... Winks and nudges? Get a life, Microsoft.  :P

Plus! and its plugins account for most of the features I use. Maybe File Transfer Plus could even be incorporated into Plus! in the future.. that'd be really cool.

//Zred

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by user27089 on 12-18-2004 at 10:09 PM

You shouldn't have any doubts, because as msn messenger has progressed to where it is now, so has messenger plus! to be honest, with its 3 versions, each 110% better than the previous version! As I stated earlier, without Plus! MSN Messenger would be an empty instant messaging program, and would be too normal to be honest :), but with Plus! its out of this world with all of the stuff that you can do on it now :). Do not doubt ;)

Of course messenger plus! shines, it always will shine and be that extra step further than msn messenger itself features wise. The gadgets that only are fun for a while is what msn messenger is, with the winks and stuff, I think that they won't last long, and lose their amusement after a while, whereas, with plus! its a serious extension for both the advance and not-so advanced users of msn messenger. I can pretty much fully assure you that msn won't catch up with you, maybe it will almost catch up with you, but you will always be that few steps ahead no matter what, with all of the suggestions you are given and all of the support that users give you...  Do you think any of us like the idea of losing plus! at all, I don't think so to be honest.. I would cry :p. (not literally)..

I just can't wait until I found out what the feature is, I sence that its going to be something that we'll all enjoy, otherwise you wouldn't be keeping it as one big secret and we'd all know :).

Have fun in paris patchou :)

traxor.

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by jren207 on 12-18-2004 at 10:14 PM

I believe that Plus! will live on for many years to come. Even my children and my children's children and my children's children's children might be using it... :P

I've been using Plus! since version 2.xx all the way up till now, and will be using it for many years to come.

I remember a contact of mine saying to me "did you hear the sound?" and I was like, "no". Then they said "get Messenger Plus!." I remember going to the site that looked dodgy (like it had been made on frontpage or something :P ) and wonderin whether to download or not.. :S ...

... but i did :D

And i was pleased with it and still am!. Great features that have improved my MSN Messenger experience greatly. Even from Windows Messenger and MSN 5, and 6 and now even 7. Enhancing all of those versions.

Just never quit making plus! . I dunno what I would do without it!

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Patchou on 12-18-2004 at 10:40 PM

Thank you very much for all these great comments, it's nice to see I'm not working for nothing :).

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Guido on 12-18-2004 at 11:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
The only thing that has brought Messenger closer to maturity is that chat logging function, and that was introduced in version 6.0. Hence, no new issues since then! I mean seriously... Winks and nudges? Get a life, Microsoft.  :P
Completely agreed (and might I add, Messenger's logging is unusable... too slow.

While it's true that Plus' practically essential for anyone who has ever used it, it's nice to see innovation :)

Thanks for all your work!
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by _Humphreys on 12-19-2004 at 01:23 AM

Plus! will never die it has a huge fan base and it is and always will be a great Msn add-on. Glad to here your keeping all your fans happy by adding more great features. Keep up the great work Patchou!

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by FrozernFire on 12-19-2004 at 02:10 AM

:bow: Patchou :bow: you changed the whole IM experience

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Chestah on 12-19-2004 at 02:42 AM

quote:
Thank you very much for all these great comments, it's nice to see I'm not working for nothing :).

Your efforts are not wasted Patchou!
Infact by looking some more at those stats!
For the threads for the most views ever!
the topic: MsgPlus! for Messenger 7 - 3.40.112... has 529446 views whereas the topic MESSENGER PLUS! 2 IS AVAILABLE! has had 60404.
More people know about msgplus now then in previous years, infact with the new msn messenger 7 more people have been interested because of your new features taking advantage of colour in the contact list and new plugins removing undesirable features (eg SPNG). Microsoft may be finally adding the great features you have provided for years, however i doubt ever that they will incorporate all of your great product and hey! theres always going to be people that don't like what they will provide ;)!
Cheers!
keep up the good work :)
Chestah
P.s have fun in Paris!
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by charlie_su1986 on 12-19-2004 at 03:03 AM

I started to use msgplus since version 1.42b
AND NOW I still love it! :D

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by f1d0d1d08989 on 12-19-2004 at 03:17 AM

MSN Messenger wouldnt catch up with Plus!, because, Microsoft wouldnt spend tons of $$ and time on a product that dont really generate revenue for them! Those guys there just want $$, dont they? Hehe :grin::grin:

I used Plus! when my friend sent it to me...2 years already. Just because we wanted sounds at that time!! Haha...Messenger out-of-the-box now still couldnt do it.  And the encrytion chat logs is very useful. I dont want my sis to read what I have been typing! :D

Continue working on your software, and we will continue to support you!! :D

Good work all these 3 1/2 years! (Y)(Y)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by L. Coyote on 12-19-2004 at 05:35 AM

Patchou...

Since MSN Messenger is a product from Microsoft, it doesn't surprise me that the only "cool" things it has are custom emoticons and display pictures. Honestly, plain MSN Messenger is for computer newbies and the like.

MSN Messenger 7 promises animated emoticons, nudges and winks. In other words, nothing useful for those of us who want/need advanced options.

Messenger Plus! is something else. It's an add-on made for people, and not for potential customers. When I see MP! I don't see a software made to earn money, I see a tool to help people.

I think it's very likely that Messenger Plus! will live for many years more. Nothing that MSN Messenger adds will make users leave MP!

I sure won't stop using MP! ;)

Edit to add: sorry for my poor English

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by pablotossi on 12-19-2004 at 11:58 AM

...about your first words is showing thas is a little tired ... that perhaps the PLUS! now not him give the satisfactions that it gave him before,...

...maybe he must change your proyects, like from "IRC LOG VIEWER" to "PLUS!" now your next steep going to another place...

about "POSTs" ...is true ... the registrations is growing (grax chrono) ... BUT if you see whom are the best postings ... all news ... "WHO MADE HISTORY" ... a few .... make he feel bad ... as well as another guys ... like me ...

that help him, in the PAGE, IRC channel or FORUM, must help him to think about new proyects and make decitions ... he dont want make money nor the must downloaded of the MSN plugins ... he want be THE BEST ... and PLUS! is coming to a point where is dificult to get the new success ... because THE 7 and follows have all the time new things and not the PLUS! ...

y hope that i can express my opinion ... i wont that PLUS! will be alive and growing next to the messenger .... for that reason its necesary help them!!!

Saludos (disculpen mi ingles aprendido a la fuerza - sorry about my english learning in a few time)

PS: as reference ... a little old screenshot that can be help to recognize your grown and your OLD steeps!!!
[Image: attachment.php?pid=349329]

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Choli on 12-19-2004 at 01:46 PM

c'mon , Patchou; you're doing a fantastic work in PLus and we'll always support it. You aren't working for nothing. I remember you saying you have new ideas for the next 10 years, I'm still sure you can apply most of them in the next versions of plus ;)

Enjoy and relax while you're in Paris and have a merry xmas and a happy new year :)

btw, i'm waiting that new feature :P

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by theguy on 12-19-2004 at 02:33 PM

Yeah, I have to agree that with plus!, messenger is ALOT better. before msn 6 compatibility was introduced, i thought messenger was really boring.

Keep up the good work Patchou!

theguy

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Tarry on 12-19-2004 at 06:31 PM

In this PC the oldest file I have is 2.10.35, but in the other PC I've been using it since the very first versions.

Although I'm an Official MSN MS
Btester, I didn't use the MSN7beta because of the incompatibility issues between it and Messenger Plus!.

The day Msgplus dies, I'll die too. :gfdrin:

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by gnownoskcid on 12-19-2004 at 11:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tarry
The day Msgplus dies, I'll die too. :gfdrin:
The day MsgPlus dies, I'd have been dead for a long time. cuz LONG LIVE MESSENGER PLUS!

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by msn_vb.net4322 on 12-20-2004 at 11:36 AM

yeah like everyones saying your doing an amzing job at this why do you think on all the other sites they still going on about plus and how good it is and on mess.be on the forums theres practically never a day goes by without a thread with something positive in it about msgplus just keep comeing up with good ideas that you like and add them then people will like them and keep using plus

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Pr0xY on 12-20-2004 at 04:21 PM

quote:
Of course your not.... we all are thankful that you take as much time out of your life as you do to code Plus!.  Thanks Patchou:)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by rock_boi on 12-20-2004 at 04:41 PM

:P:P:PI can't wait for that verson to come:P:P:P

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Knad on 12-20-2004 at 06:47 PM

Great work on Plus! Patchou :D Cant wait till new version out :p

Merry Xmas all :D

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Slack2116 on 12-22-2004 at 01:03 AM

this is exciting Patchou.  i still use Plus! a lot.  mainly with the sounds, Even Logging i use ALL THE TIME, and colors and stuff.

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by MSN on 12-22-2004 at 08:38 AM

Messenger Plus ! is the best and it is always the number one on the list . (Y)

Thanks for the new feature Patchou!!! (Y)(Y):D

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by BluexDreams on 12-22-2004 at 12:15 PM

Plus! is a great Msn add-on no matter how Msn develops. Afterall, Msn is taking so much to develop and add new features. Plus! / Messenger Plus had and still have them before even Msn takes a step forward and add them.

Anywayz, i do not think Msn "Development" may stop me from using Plus! So keep the features coming ;) And I am sure a lot of people enjoy Plus!

Thanks Patchou for a great add-on and on all of your effort that you are spending on making it the best!

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by saralk on 12-22-2004 at 01:15 PM

Don't worry, Plus! will always live on. Even if MSN Messenger adds most of Messenger Plus's features directly to MSN Messenger, Messenger Plus! gives small developers the chance to create their own plugins, in a simple to use API, they dont have to learn about hooking or anything, so that alone will let Plus! live on forever.

I have a very rough guess as to what it could be ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Dempsey on 12-22-2004 at 02:22 PM

Especially now we have the Plugin API for Plus!, the list of feartures people can add is virtually unlimited, so I for one will be using this great softwar efor many years to come.

ps can't wait to test the new beta

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by stevonw on 12-22-2004 at 04:20 PM

Patchou, MSN Messenger wouldnt be half as popular as it its if Messenger Plus! did not exist. I love having the Plugins, Custom Names, Coloured Names etc.....Basically without you & Messenger Plus! Microsoft wouldnt have listened to what the Users want!

(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)

thanx a million Pathou, good luck with future releases & Keep Messenger Plus going :D:D

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by plastikaa on 12-22-2004 at 04:24 PM

As a web develper one feature I would like to see is somehow a way of turning on html message... let me explain:

Maybe a new tab added next to type, and handwrite, called something like 'code' when the user switched to this it automatically puts the font to 'Lucida Console' and turns off smileys, and possibly even colorises html, php, css etc. code to make reading it easier like many coding programs do.

Why do I want this and think it would be useful? - well i would be able to copy and paste and share code with my contacts a lot easier without having to send the files.

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Concord Dawn on 12-22-2004 at 04:24 PM

I think that in all seriousness, your pushing Microsoft to better develop  MSN. It's great to know that some things you can't implement (because of protocol or the like) will be implemented because Microsoft will attempt to catch up to you.

Keep up the good work Patchou!!

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by ShawnZ on 12-22-2004 at 05:33 PM

Messenger is getting alot of features lately, but maby this could be an inspiration to make plus more streamline and integrated with msn messenger. For example, instead of making its own logging system, plus (in the future) could add features like encryption and event logging to the built-in messenger logging functions. It would be cool if plus was not seprate from msn like it is now, e.g. having its own menus and features, it could be more integrated with msn. Instead of a plus menu, the features could be spread out all through msn.

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by BigCheese on 12-22-2004 at 09:28 PM

I think Messenger Plus! is a great programem Patchou. I had to reinstall windows today and msg plus was the second thing i installed after msn messenger 7.

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by MC.POP on 12-22-2004 at 11:00 PM

i love msn plus patchou keep up the good work and i still use plus no matter wt happens

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Pipish on 12-23-2004 at 09:50 AM

Heh i agree with everything u sed except i belive plus has imporved so much from what it once was the new features you have put in later versions have been realy useful but i am afraid that some of the useful plugins i used to use are no longer compadible with msn 7 things in msn7 are catching up with pluses features but as long as u keep updating plus i will continue to use it

thankyou and merry christmas patchou:)

from,Pipish

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Sully on 12-24-2004 at 01:41 PM

Hey,

Just a quick post! I still use MSGPlus! as it contains a lot of usefull features for MSN Messenger V6.2 (disapointed about the decision to keep the MSN Ads and not have the option to remove it) -- love the POP3 Mail Feature (wish it could tell "1/2" Emails in Inbox or similar instead of listing all emails in my inbox) the best though, comes in very handy! Would be nifty if it was made as advanced and cool as the GMail Notifier (displays sniplet of email etc.).

I also do not plan to upgrade to MSN Messenger V7 as I hate the new design. Its ugly if you ask me ;P

Anyway, hope my comments where of some importance!

- Sully :)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by user35870 on 12-24-2004 at 02:12 PM

What ever happens i will always use msg plus!

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Tuxman on 12-27-2004 at 03:18 PM

MsgPlus is almost "core software" on my computer... I don't think it depends on the forum's spammers how it continues.

Even though MSN7 already contains a lot of MsgPlus' great features, it's still a very comfortable and useful add-on. :)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by John Anderton on 12-27-2004 at 03:21 PM

i can't imagine life without msg plus! ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by jameseuk on 12-28-2004 at 07:24 PM

Patchou Messenger Plus will live on,MSN will always be playing catch up by which time there will be new features etc for plus(I'm sure if someone did some digging there will be plenty of features that could be made possible & or worked on that havent already).

The only reason MSN Messenger is getting better is because of you & other peoples plugin programs!:D

Thing that kinda bothers me is they dont credit you or other peoples programs,still at least we know where the new features come from.;)

I prefer using your chat log feature as its easier to find messages,other plus features I like are the contact info & sounds.

Keep up the good work Patchou!(H)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Millenium_edition on 12-28-2004 at 07:33 PM

I think the Messenger Plus! meeting in Paris just prove you wrong, Patchou. Everyone wants to meet you, not because you are a "leet coder", but because you made Plus!. And that means a lot if you ask me.

Plus! is not dead. And I doubt it will die.

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by CookieRevised on 12-29-2004 at 02:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lethalman
mess/be told us
mess.be is a forum. It can't tell you stuff, people on the forums tell you stuff, and not all people are a trustable source of info... ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
I think the Messenger Plus! meeting in Paris just prove you wrong, Patchou. Everyone wants to meet you, not because you are a "leet coder", but because you made Plus!. And that means a lot if you ask me.

Plus! is not dead. And I doubt it will die.
I fully agree. Patchou, like you said yourself in that email you've send: "This kind of meeting proves we have accomplished something together that goes far beyond making a piece of software."...

And there will always be a demand for new cool features/ideas, small or not. So Plus! wont die, at worst it will "idle" for a few months ;)

PS: just at home from the meeting, barley awake (after spending the 2nd night out in the open... I'll tell the story some other time :P)
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by KeyStorm on 12-29-2004 at 02:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
PS: just at home from the meeting, barley awake (after spending the 2nd night out in the open... I'll tell the story some other time )

WTF!!! This needs to be vastly documented!! :D

Btw, I'm sure that the new feature will make it very popular again.

(Can we post about it? :rolleyes:)
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by scgyong on 12-30-2004 at 02:18 AM

(sorry for my poor English)

When a friend of mine told me she installed MSN 7, I installed it. Drawing was funny and I bought a Graphire3 : )

But soon, I found that Plus! didn't work, and I couldn't use the features i loved

I like Plus! style Logging
I like Custom Name ( I put his/her real name in front of (!N) )
I sometimes used Contact Cleanup
I like the Plus! to show me when anyone changes his/her nickname

Now I know there is MsgPlus! beta for MSN 7, I am installing it !

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Jolo on 01-03-2005 at 07:03 AM

Like others said, I can't imagine the life without Messenger Plus!.

That's all.

Cheers.

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by user27089 on 01-03-2005 at 12:24 PM

Patchou I agree, you've gone past that 'programmer' stage, you're definitely more than that to every user, most programmers wouldn't involve himself or herself with as many of his/her programs ever, but you, are a frequent user of this forum, and are always willing to meet up with users of your software and talk on a friendly basis, no as far as I know, no other programmer would be willing to do this, you're a nice guy, with a great extension, a strongpoint to this extension is the creator, if you were a meany, then you would definitely have less users, its your personality that matters ;).

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by riahc4 on 01-03-2005 at 07:53 PM

Personally i THINK i know what the new feature is but i wont say it. If it is what i think it is then there have/is plugins that give that feature but if Patchou writes it himself it will be way better. I just hope its the feature im thinking of.

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by CookieRevised on 01-03-2005 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
quote:
PS: just at home from the meeting, barley awake (after spending the 2nd night out in the open... I'll tell the story some other time )

WTF!!! This needs to be vastly documented!! :D
Already done in the Paris meeting thread ;)

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Btw, I'm sure that the new feature will make it very popular again.
(Can we post about it? :rolleyes:)
of course not... /me slaps KeyStorm with ducktape

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Stigmata on 01-03-2005 at 09:08 PM

after hearing about messenger discovery 3 :)

youd' better pop your clogs

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by bungleMX on 01-06-2005 at 07:21 PM

Hi I don't type too much here, but almost every day check the forum, i have a lot of work that's way I don't post to much,...
Like others, I can't see my self without plus! messenger is just a simple pize of software like many others without plus!
An Yesterday I did read about a new adware and spyware remover from microsoft that detects plus! as spyware, that's bullshit and the first thing comes to my head was the "paris visit" and after that microsoft do this! that doesn't see well!!
PLUS! RULES!

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by p!mp@bc on 01-07-2005 at 12:11 AM

Hey, im brand new to the forums but ive been using msn plus for about 2 years now.  i remember i first started using plus when a friend told me bout the cool sounds u could make like the homer sound, which is my personal favorite.  You all are right, msn and plus have both come a long way.  the only reason msn advances is cuz of plug ins like plus, like the other person said.  i find plus infinitely useful and entertaining.  the boss mode and custom names are my fav features.  I think msn plus will never die because it has ingenious features that msn always seems to overlook.  as im new to this forum, i only just found out that this is all done by one person and he works non-stop to stay up to date with the newest versions of msn.  I find that patchou is a net-aholic's hero.  he works hard to give us fun shit for free.  who else does that?  i find that because of his selfless actions, patchou will help plus stay alive and stay fun.  i wish i could help u out patch but i dont know shit all about programming.  i just hope u keep coming out with fun features for plus like u have in the past because those features have made me a lifelong user of plus

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Zephyr on 01-07-2005 at 11:43 PM

I just want to say thank you to Patchou for all the hard work hes put into making such an amazing add-on.

Im on MSN Messenger all the time and without the features of Plus! I would just get bored.

The Custom names make the window look so much neater and i can tell who someone is in a second. I use the Boss protection all the time with the shortcuts. Everything is so easy with plus.

Thank you Patchou and keep up the great work. (Y) Looking forward to 3.50!:D

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Stephan123 on 01-09-2005 at 02:04 PM

I'm proud that this plugin,add-on exist.This is a top plugin.Go Patchou:D

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by bloodymarvelous on 01-09-2005 at 06:06 PM

Don't worry though about not making revisions to your program for long periods of time. Yeah, forum use will go down a bit, but why mess with perfection.

Your program has delighted people around the world for many years. I'm sure that most of them will continue to use it.

And tell me who didn't like the program, and I'll beat them up personally. ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Sanjay on 01-11-2005 at 12:17 AM

quote:
The "Hide advertisement banner" is not available in MSN Messenger 7 anymore. The reason is not entirely technical, I just felt this option had not its place in Messenger Plus! anymore, thank you for understanding.
This may be a compulsion of 'Patchou' to remain in Microsoft's good books and thus be relevant to the very survival of 'Messenger Plus!', but as far as I am concerned it is one of the major features of 'Messenger Plus' that I use and without it 'Messenger Plus!' will lose a lot of it's charm for me. I have been a 'Messenger Plus!' user from almost it's infancy stages and would like to continue to be able ot use it for a long time to come. It is definately the best 'Windows/MSN Messenger' add on there is and hopefully will always remain so.
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by CookieRevised on 01-11-2005 at 12:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sanjay
I remember reading somehwere on the site that future versions of 'Messenger Plus!' will no longer have the "Hide Ad Banner' feature. This may be a compulsion of 'Patchou' to remain in Microsoft's good books and thus be relevant to the very survival of 'Messenger Plus!', but as far as I am concerned it is one of the major features of 'Messenger Plus' that I use and without it 'Messenger Plus!' will lose a lot of it's charm for me.
you may want to read the sticky thread: "'MSN advertisement banner' removal"

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Sanjay on 01-11-2005 at 12:49 AM

quote:
you may want to read the sticky thread: "'MSN advertisement banner' removal"
I read the post and I understand the hypocrsy of the whole thing and thus the reason for Patchou to decide to take the feature out, but that does not mean we gotta like it. :) I am still bummed out over it but I guess will ge tover it too. :)
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Alpha Binary on 01-15-2005 at 12:45 PM

i am a little disappointed to know that advanced users would not enjoy this feature, but that gets me excited nonetheless.

can't wait for the announcement!

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by dan11101 on 01-23-2005 at 02:02 AM

anyone know when a new messanger pluse for the msn 7.0 beta will come out?

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by CookieRevised on 01-23-2005 at 12:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dan11101
anyone know when a new messanger pluse for the msn 7.0 beta will come out?
If everything goes well, MSN Messenger 7 should go final in february/march. When that happens a new Plus! version will follow soon...
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by megamuff on 01-24-2005 at 09:52 PM

erm? messenger plus is not shrinking, it is growing. everyone in this thread has pretty much alread summed up what i am thinking already..
*hopes the new feature is bbcode or a forced spell checker that does not let people send messages like "hoo r u"*

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Freeze on 01-24-2005 at 10:15 PM

C'mon, shrinking, msgplus used to be hosted on a crappy server with a crappy website, I still remember the arguing about which domain name Msgplus should get cus messengerplus.com was taken and such... You see, patchou, I don't 'see' messengerplus as if it's instlaled, it just has become so regular that I don't even notice msgplus is there :)... It's such a great piece of software and implements so darned good into MSNMessenger :)... There's only one thing I could say about messengerplus that really describes my experience: "You don't notice it's there, until it's gone" :)

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by dan11101 on 01-24-2005 at 11:38 PM

all i have to say is great work patchou keep it up i dunno about everyone else but as long as thier is a messanger plus i will be useing it keep it up. ps : the way you got that set up so you can look at all your costom emotions and click on them is a great feature  cuz i have a hard time remembering so many keybord short cuts try to keep that in versions to come. peace man.

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Primexx on 02-06-2005 at 10:52 PM

quote:
(private testing, no more public beta before the release)
so how many people would be able to beta test it?
RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Kakusho on 02-07-2005 at 05:40 AM

come on, u dont have to get really complex to have new great ideas, maybe ur thinkin too much, just relax look at this new messenger, see that it still lacks a shitload of stuff, and add a thing here a thing there, maybe make it so that a different away message would be given to different ppl(not that only a few ppl would get an away message), um , i dunno maybe invite someone invisibly to a conversation so that others dont know they're there heheeh, (so that u dont have to copy paste lost of convos), of course more sounds, maybe ppl can record they're own sounds and send them like the default ones, but u know find some way that they're not too long, stuff like that i dunno if my ideas are good but what im tryin to say is dont stress urself thinkin u wont come up with something too good, cuz then u wont, just relaaaaaaaaaaaxxxx
-me:-#

RE: Messenger Plus! - Past, Present and Future by Fraisie on 02-07-2005 at 02:40 PM

Thank you all for your great comments :)