Shoutbox

February 8th - New Debug Version - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Forum: Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+------ Thread: February 8th - New Debug Version (/showthread.php?tid=4376)

February 8th - New Debug Version by Patchou on 02-09-2003 at 04:15 AM

Hello!

I just released a new debug version. It fixes more stuff and I've added more information in the Messenger Plus Dump.txt file to help me solve the remaining crashes. I was wondering tonight if I should do a new public release but I've decided otherwise... I'm currently working on of the crash problems (one solved, one left) and I need more help from you to completly solve it. If you whish to help please download the following version.

http://207.44.212.108/~admin3/MsgPlusDebug.zip

Make anything you can to make Messenger crash... anything you know that crashed it in the past is good... if you don't see it crash here is what I would like to do: open the C:\MessengerPlus Dump.txt file and do a search for "exception"... if you find anything then please please please, zip the file and send it to me at debug2018@patchou.com . With debug version 2.01.21 I'll be able to fix the problem for sure!

With your help I'll be able to put patchou.com back online early next week and auto-update every one quickly. Thank you for your time!

Patchou.

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Re-Mi on 02-09-2003 at 04:21 AM

okay just downloaded.
I'm doing my best to crash plus! and find bugs..
but couldn't find them in .19 and .20
don't think i could find them in .21 but i will do my best.

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by big_matty5 on 02-09-2003 at 04:55 AM

Same here... Is for once deleberatly trying to crash something/.... hmm lol :S

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by ryan_the_leach on 02-09-2003 at 04:57 AM

got it 5 seconds ago trying my heart out

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Mnjul on 02-09-2003 at 08:23 AM

early next week?
that's when my semester begins...
yah...:(

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by user2319 on 02-09-2003 at 09:09 AM

downloading now... Thanx for the em@il you sent me :bow:

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Freeze on 02-09-2003 at 09:46 AM

Patchou! Tell me, the remaining crash, under what OS? cuz i really can't get it down under WinXP...

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by ahtea on 02-09-2003 at 09:51 AM

Will try this new version out... The previous debug version (v2.01.20) had more problems than i expect or rather more problems than v2.01.16 as this time round alothough i am not able to restimulate the problem to crash my MSN Messenger like last time, I found new bugs...
Some new bugs i discovered:
1) Chat window will sometimes go heirwire. (Blue screen <for my case it's blue> on the chat box <where incoming messages are displayed>).
2) Crashed my MSN Messenger for no reason. (Error Messages saying that MSN Messenger needs to be shut down etc...)
3) Text formatting of the other party was inaccurate. (ie. A set his font as Comic Sans and red color but I set mine formatting as Tahoma and Navy Blue color and end up A's message is received by me, the messages followed my text format instead of his.

Hope that Patchou will take note of these problems!

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by ahtea on 02-09-2003 at 09:53 AM

Oops.. Forget to include the OS I am running on.
Messenger Version : ver5.0.0543
Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Digi Guy on 02-09-2003 at 11:06 AM

Yeah thanks for the e-mail

It was nice to get a hand writen one cos in the last 48 hrs i have had 66 e-mails ALL from the messenger plus website alerting me of new posts ;)

BTW nice date to release it on (my birthday - is it kind of like my birthday present if it stops crashing MSN?)

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Freeze on 02-09-2003 at 11:45 AM

Hmm, did yu all get an email? i didn't... email from patchou or what? very odd... [yes, i am an alpha tester, or was...]

RE: RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by billywoods1 on 02-09-2003 at 01:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Freeze
Hmm, did yu all get an email? i didn't... email from patchou or what? very odd... [yes, i am an alpha tester, or was...]

I didn't either...
RE: RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by user2319 on 02-09-2003 at 02:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Freeze

As I told Patchou about a bug that wasn't a bug. He emailed me back. People who have sent an mail to debug2018@patchou.com have received it.
RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Patchou on 02-09-2003 at 03:34 PM

Yep, I dont use the old alpha tester list anymore as I have to clean it up to remove people that do not understand that some stuff are private... :).

For the crashes, they are all in Windows 98/Me... as I'm mainly running WinXP that's why I ask for assistance because I never had any crash with public relases of MP2 (else you can be sre that I would have never released it).

Patchou

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Freeze on 02-09-2003 at 06:59 PM

So there is no need for me to download the debug version... unless,...

Yeah, that's what i'll do, i'll try it on WinNT [tho quite the same as XP, but....]

Crash, here i come :p

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by jpg050 on 02-09-2003 at 11:34 PM

Er... I missed last beta (#20), can someone send it to me ? (jpg050@terra.es) I have been collecting all the alphas and betas, so many good moments :') xD

About #19... it made my comp not to start messenger on startup (Although the registry key to run it was there... Patchou mentioned something about Plus making it wait for two or three seconds... perhaps that could be interfering... I'll try in #21.)

Send me beta 20 plz...

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by bach_m on 02-10-2003 at 02:44 AM

if i never had any problems  (crashes or anything, except the black line bug), is there any reason to get the debug versions?? are there any new features or anything else imprtant? am i just fine at 2.01.17?

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Patchou on 02-10-2003 at 03:01 AM

yep you're fine with it, just wait for the next official release next week :).

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by shine on 02-10-2003 at 04:23 AM

I tried to crash .21 in all the ways I could :p Only one more test is remaining, To push the PC off the table :D 

No exceptions either were found (y)

RE: RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Digi Guy on 02-10-2003 at 04:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by shine
I tried to crash .21 in all the ways I could :p Only one more test is remaining, To push the PC off the table :D 

No exceptions either were found (y)

Lol niceone.

Still a few more for me to do like Ctrl-ALT-Delete MSN MESSENGER + Plus then reboot them then add a virus to messenger (lol) - that's one of the tests

2nd - Put a Jackhammer though the display

3rd I got a couple of prank programs i'll put a Brick though the CP

and the last one(i think) should be quite fun (Try and crack the password protection (Nice)
RE: RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Digi Guy on 02-10-2003 at 04:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wtbw
The Messenger Lock password?

You're slow, I did it as soon as it updated after the last break :P

Not spreading it though, else it ridicules Patchou's hard work.

Will

dang

(oh well got another experiment to do with it)
RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by ryan_the_leach on 02-10-2003 at 06:54 AM

so what is this next "experiment"

RE: RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Digi Guy on 02-10-2003 at 07:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ryan_the_leach
so what is this next "experiment"

hmmm Never You Mind ;) :banana:
[no subject] by Zulianino on 02-10-2003 at 01:09 PM

Hi! i have downloaded the beta version and i'm testing it! it was stable and it never crash! i think that the new feature to be introduced is the possibility to change language!!! i can help you in translate in italian if you want!!

Bye

- Lele -

PS: Every time i try to vew the patchou site i find it always down....is it normal???

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Patchou on 02-10-2003 at 01:29 PM

the site will be back this week. Multiple language will be there for final release (if the next public release is stable enough I'll begin to do the preparations for translating).

RE: RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by user2319 on 02-10-2003 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
the site will be back this week. Multiple language will be there for final release (if the next public release is stable enough I'll begin to do the preparations for translating).

Ok then :grin:

but ehhm... The event log window is a bit annoying... :/

If you minimize windows messenger, The event log doesn't minimezes :/ and if you re-open msngr You can't see the event log window :/

But it's no bug as no "exeption"  was found in msngr dump.txt
RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by t94xr on 02-10-2003 at 04:16 PM

My god - you are talented!

You have everything in here BUT MSN Messenger!!!

It is VERY well coded and i've tried my little crash programs i use for most pissing of my mates, and modded them to crash MsgPlus, well lets just say - "ARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH CRASH U F**KING PIECE OF S**T!!!!!"

so my say:

IT IS THE STABLE MSN MESSENGER ADD-ON I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by tomfletcherman on 02-10-2003 at 05:39 PM

its a .zip file. Whats in this package apart from the l8est messenger plus?

RE: RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by user2319 on 02-10-2003 at 05:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman

it includes a file that logs everything so bug-reporting is easy'er :happy:  It's a bit like an alpha (debug) that's why its called MP!2 - BETA - DEBUG
RE: RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by sock on 02-10-2003 at 05:46 PM

* sock :|s at PlusFan

quote:

Nothing. Just "Setup.exe".:)
RE: RE: RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by user2319 on 02-10-2003 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sock
* sock :|s at PlusFan

quote:

Nothing. Just "Setup.exe".:)

whatever

:cry: I disappointed a stinky sock! :cry:

[center]:lol:[/center]
RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by t94xr on 02-10-2003 at 05:51 PM

take a look

Its even got the CRC so people can check if they want LOL
Its a graphical image of the file - so everyone can SEE whats inside it...

http://www.t94xr.net.nz/t94xr_msgplusdebug_view.jpg

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Wabz on 02-10-2003 at 09:49 PM

Right downloaded it

Have the issues with msn messenger being signing me out constantly an issue with plus or msn just need to know thanks

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by jeebus saves on 02-10-2003 at 11:39 PM

i found an excemption but the messenger Plus Dump text is like 1.3 mb so ill just post it

2003/02/09 01:52:46 - A notification window has been created! hwnd = 0x00000790
2003/02/09 01:52:46 - CMyRichEditOle::InsertObject was called
2003/02/09 01:52:46 - CMyRichEditOle::InsertObject was called
2003/02/09 01:52:46 - An exception was thrown in CInstantMsgWnd::AutoCutLine
(0) : Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack around the variable 'sIndent' was corrupted.(0) : Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack around the variable 'sNewLine' was corrupted.2003/02/09 01:52:47 - CMyRichEditOle::InsertObject was called
2003/02/09 01:52:47 - CMyRichEditOle::InsertObject was called

also i got this
2003/02/10 16:29:18 - Error: CPreferences::setContactSigninTimeToNow couldn't create key: Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\andy_724@hotmail.com\Contacts\EIQa|hOV]vmGhMunYq~fo{kcSe

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Digi Guy on 02-11-2003 at 04:44 AM

Got a bug...
Patchou ya mind a 3.0MB Debug file??(Un compressed)

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by t94xr on 02-11-2003 at 05:05 AM

I think I found one...

I have it install and I used the advertise for MsgPlus feature it had installed...

Well he started the file transfer and it I tried to cancel it. It came up with a fatal exception error and it closed - after about 5 min of trying to cancel the transfer...

Strange thing - no dump file that i can see...

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by ahtea on 02-11-2003 at 08:44 AM

I have no problems with Version 2.01.21. Have been using it on my Windows ME system for the past 3 days. Can safely say that fatal bugs like auto sign out after i changed to personalised status and back to online or after getting out of boss protection is fixed as i don't seem to be able to stimulate the problem out again. The previous bugs I mentioned for the Version 2.01.20 is also fixed. Good job Patchou. I and a few friends are looking forward for the official release!

Question: Is there any way which i can backup my personal settings for Messenger Plus? I am quite tired of setting it all over again whenever i reinstall or upgrade my Messenger Plus.

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by ryan_the_leach on 02-11-2003 at 10:46 AM

why would plus restart all prefrences if its stored in the registry

unless you talking about upgrading from 1.xx or wat eva its called cant see how it would

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by t94xr on 02-11-2003 at 10:59 AM

Win2k Pro SP1
Intel 56k Ambient Hardware PCI Modem

Tried cleaning the registry...
Did everything

Reinstalled MSNM 5 and then MsgPlus - same small problem again
not so worse though...
just appeared with a small box with a red x in a circle and closed out...

no error message though...

any ideas...

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by ryan_the_leach on 02-11-2003 at 10:59 AM

also msn plus has TOTALLY CHRASHED OUT ON MY PC CANT GET INTO MSN HALF THE TIME RIGHT CLICK MENU STILL WORKS BUT WONT OPEN THE MAIN WINDOW ARFTER A WHILE MAYBE THIS HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH EMOPUMP (HTTP://WWW.MESS.BE)
NOW EMO PUMP MENU WONT APPEAR BUT IS STILL RUNNING AND PLUS HAS STOPPED ALTOGETHER GUNNA SEND PATCHOU THE DEBUG

oops sorry held caps key

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Bobje86 on 02-11-2003 at 01:31 PM

Wow, it's amazing  ! Patchou, your work is fantastic.

Please add these mirrors to your mirror sites:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/fam.rijnaard/MP/MsgPlus.exe

and

http://rijnaard.mine.nu/MP/MsgPlus.exe (slow)

Greetz, Bobje

(edit: it's from the Netherlands ofcourse ;)),
Hmmz, i've editted this message for 5 times, hehe

RE: RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by ahtea on 02-11-2003 at 02:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ryan_the_leach
why would plus restart all prefrences if its stored in the registry

unless you talking about upgrading from 1.xx or wat eva its called cant see how it would

I have no idea too... I have a habit of uninstalling the previous version of MP2 from my system before i do an upgrade. This way, i can ensure that the new files copied are clean and contains only the new files. And i found out that the settings actually got resetted. Not too sure if there is any specific file which i can back up to save my settings just in case in future i install it on another system i can save the hassel of resetting everything  again.
RE: RE: RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by sock on 02-11-2003 at 02:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahtea
I have no idea too... I have a habit of uninstalling the previous version of MP2 from my system before i do an upgrade. This way, i can ensure that the new files copied are clean and contains only the new files.

The settings are stored in the Windows Registry, not in a file.... but when you uninstall MP2 those settings get removed from the Registry.....
Anyway, there's no need to uninstall MP2 before installing a new version:S, the setup program is specially designed to replace old versions of MP2.
RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Patchou on 02-11-2003 at 02:57 PM

I really want those dump files you're talking about... everytime you see an exception in the file, please please, send it (in a zip, yeah I know, the file can get pretty big) to debug2018@patchou.com . I'm planning to release the new public version this week so I gotta correct those problems.

Thanks!
Patchou

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by jeebus saves on 02-12-2003 at 12:25 AM

here is my dump text only has that one excemption in it tho

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by rudefrog on 02-12-2003 at 01:40 PM

I must admit i - i have hade zero problems with msn plus ! since the 1st release - no crashes nuddu - will have a go @ the debug version - & see if we can chance history --- great work to date patchou - things can only get better :D

RE: February 8th - New Debug Version by Patchou on 02-12-2003 at 03:04 PM

Thread closed... see new version at http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=4461