Shoutbox

Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. (/showthread.php?tid=77502)

Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by Sunshine on 09-15-2007 at 12:05 PM

First of all remove any patches and add-ons you have installed then try if all works as should. This also includes, but is not limited to, Smiley Central, SweetIM etc.

If you found all is working fine you can add them back one by one to find which causes it. If you got Messenger Plus! Live installed also verify that none of the scripts you have are interfering, doubtful they would but you never know... (this is also important to test before you submit any bugs about Messenger Plus! Live).

Error message 80072745
If you get this constantly try the following:
- Go into your router/connection (LAN) configuration
- In the DNS Address section (Internet-protocol TCP/IP) do not use 'Get Automatically from ISP', instead use static IP adresses for the Primary and Secondary DNS (your provider can tell you which to use if none are there already)

If it still isn't working as should after that:
Source: Inside Windows Live Messenger - We hear you!

Having Connection Problems?
If you’re having problems connecting to Messenger and/or sending IM’s, we encourage you to try the some of the following suggestions:

1. Make sure that your firewall is properly configured to allow Windows Live Messenger 8.1 to function properly.
Behind a corporate firewall: The 8.1 client uses far more web services, and it is possible that the network administrator for the corporate firewall will need to put a few more URLs on their web address white list.    The client needs to send web requests to “*.hotmail.com”, “*.live.com”, and “*.msn.com”. (The asterisk (*) is a “wildcard” character meaning that anything can come before “live.com”.) Your network/ firewall admin will understand this jargon if they see it.

On your PC at home: Many personal firewall products learn what a client does on the network, sometimes asking the user for permission to allow the applications to access the Internet and then remembering these answers.   When the new client changes its network behavior, some personal firewall products don't learn fast enough about how to let the client function properly on the network.    To test this you can temporarily turn off your firewall and see if you can sign-in.  Be sure you turn the personal firewall back on after your experiment.  If you can sign-in, then it is likely that your personal firewall needs to reconfigure itself.  Many products allow you to see the list of filters it is using, and by removing the filter entries for messenger (or msnmsgr.exe) you can force the personal firewall to re-ask you for permission to grant the required network access to the new 8.1 Messenger client.   Sometimes you have to let the client fail a few times while the firewall is learning, and then restart the client. 

2. Try to using the Connection Troubleshooter (you don’t have to login to Messenger to do this). You can find it in Messenger -> Tools -> Options -> Connection tab

3. If you are using a proxy server, click on ‘Advanced Settings’ and configure the proxy settings.

4. If IE is NOT set as your default browser, launch IE (you don’t have to set it as default) and visit any webpage to make sure that the internet connectivity and network configurations are properly set.

Is Messenger Crashing?
If you are using Windows Vista, you may encounter crashes if you don’t have the latest version of Adobe Flash installed. You can install the latest version of Adobe Flash at http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download....Flash&promoid=BIOW.

If you have a computer manufactured by Acer, you may be using Acer eDataSecurity software. Please upgrade to the latest version at http://global.acer.com/support/winvista/t-faq.htm.

Error Codes
For more information on specific error codes, please visit the Messenger Support Space. You’ll find lots of information and troubleshooting tips there.

More Updates to Come
Check back here (Inside Live Messenger Space) often for updates on other issues. If you’re having a problem, please head over to the newsgroups and post there!

Edit: updated for error message 80072745

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by Knaifhogg on 10-21-2007 at 05:58 PM

Does the patching include messpatch? I'm using Vista and I have Windows Live Messenger 8.5 beta 2 patched with messpatch. I seem to have problems with the connection. I can connect, sure, but later everything I write in a chat goes nowhere (nothing they write comes to me either) , I can't change status (If I change to busy, it still says 'Online' for me, but for my contacts it says that I'm busy) so I have to log out and in for it to work again. But later it happens again...
Is it messpatch's fault or is it a bug? :S

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by sue2uk on 11-10-2007 at 08:30 PM

Hi there, new member here, have joined to get some help.  Have trawled the connection threads but found no answer.  I can connect to Windows Live Messenger wirelessly no problems but when I try to connect using the ethernet cable to our router (which I have to in the study as the wireless signal won't go through the walls) I can't get connected to Messenger (everything else ok).  Have disabled AVG firewall as suggested but still won't work.  Any suggestions?

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by Quantum on 11-10-2007 at 10:29 PM

Great work on writing this! I think this should be a sticky:)

Please add:

Make shure the messenger port is open. The port should be 1863 or 443.

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by sue2uk on 11-11-2007 at 02:46 PM

Many thanks for your reply.  Sorry to be a dimbo, but how do I check the Messenger port?

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by aNILEator on 11-11-2007 at 06:10 PM

First off try to run the repair connection troubleshooter in WLM's Options->Connection see if that solves anything, if it is ports on your router, check on www.portforward.com and see if there are instructions for your router (or similar, most routers work the same) also most routers today come with UPnP disabled, I suggest enabling it first as that should solve any WLM connection issues (and many other applications issues)

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by Cherry_Blossom on 03-31-2008 at 06:59 PM

UPnP? where do i find it sorry am a lil thick

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by louby19 on 05-01-2008 at 03:05 PM

i have tryed all this what sunshine has put and none of it is still working have any of you got anymore tips as this is really starting to do my head in now!

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by kurt75 on 05-14-2008 at 03:23 PM

99% of times I have problem connecting to Messenger is because of the proxy settings I forget to remove from Internet Explorer before connecting...

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by louby19 on 05-15-2008 at 11:58 AM

it's sayin on mine to chack the firewall or proxy how do it do that?

thanx for all ur help peeps but it's workin now!:)
RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by ezzoubir on 11-03-2008 at 01:00 PM

Bonjour mon msn ne marche pas alors que les adresse des autre membre de la famille marche correctement!  Merci

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by djdannyp on 11-03-2008 at 01:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ezzoubir
Bonjour mon msn ne marche pas alors que les adresse des autre membre de la famille marche correctement!  Merci

[Translation]
Hello, my msn doesn't work but the addresses of other members of my family work properly
[/Translation]

Please post in English on these forums.

What error message does your MSN give when you try to sign in using your address?
RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by Google123 on 11-24-2008 at 06:13 AM

ok i have  a question i have windows live beta, and i have the windows live plus for it, i would like to know if there are any skins that will work with it, i have seen alot of skins that dont work with it but i would like to know if you guys would put a link on the home page for people that have windows live beta plus, soo that there is skins that would work for it.

I have downloaded a skin, and i didnt know that it isnt compatible with it at all and if i would have known that it isnt compatable, i wouldn't have downloaded it soo is there a way that i can change it from the old msn to beta soo i could use the skin i really really like it, and the design but it isnt compatable for me:(:(:(

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by djdannyp on 11-24-2008 at 06:59 AM

At present, I believe that this is the only publically released skin compatible with the new beta:

[Release] Sopair 2 For Messenger 9

If you be patient then I'm sure the skinning community will release more compatible skins

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by dragan on 03-22-2009 at 05:26 PM

I downloaded a windows live messenger, after I used MSN 8 beta version.

Now , when I sign in Live MSN, i dont have any of my contacts there, and also can not add a new contacts...

Can anyone help me to do with this??

Thanks

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by sh1n0l3i on 03-23-2009 at 03:36 AM

hey i just installed the new WLM but now i cannnot sign in this just pops up and the sign in cancels

[Image: errorcqa.th.jpg]

does anyone know how to fix this?

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by duckydee on 03-24-2009 at 01:30 PM

I downloaded WLM 2009, and I can't sign in at all.
I uninstalled and reinstalled.
I tried to go back to 8.5 and update it.
There's nothing wrong with my connection, and it's all ticks in trouble shooter.
But the same error keeps on coming up:

Error code: 8008005

Please help !

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by realistic1 on 05-09-2009 at 11:47 AM

Hello. i think that windows live messnger is no more used by many poeples because yahoo and google are going on top. anyhow try the latest version of window live messger

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by Metax on 09-18-2009 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by duckydee
I downloaded WLM 2009, and I can't sign in at all.
I uninstalled and reinstalled.
I tried to go back to 8.5 and update it.
There's nothing wrong with my connection, and it's all ticks in trouble shooter.
But the same error keeps on coming up:

Error code: 8008005

Please help !

Same Problem Here! PLS! Give some Advise!
RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by tarmo120 on 09-22-2009 at 08:50 PM

Does the webcam issue qualify for this topic? If yes, then i have a strange problem. I can view other webcams, but msn seems to block mine. It looks like it's starting and loading, then after about 10 sec, the webcam just shuts down and msn says something like I cancelled the command. I just don't know what else to do. I've installed all new drivers, tried old drivers, nothing seems to fix it. I don't even know what the problem is.

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by baby_taz on 11-08-2009 at 08:33 PM

well i was forced to install the new msn so i did , but now some people cant talk to me , one minuet i will receive what they are saying and another i wont , its quite annoying does anyone know what to do ?

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by PamMcM on 11-11-2009 at 07:44 PM

When I try to DL the update in WLM I get this error code: 80004004.
Any suggestions are appreciated!  I was already using WLM 2009 and still kept getting the upgrade popup. Now I cant log onto WLM at all.

Thanks.

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by CookieRevised on 11-11-2009 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PamMcM
Use ZapMessenger to completely uninstall Messenger. Then re-download the newest version from here: http://messenger.live.com/ en install it.
RE: RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by PamMcM on 11-12-2009 at 11:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by PamMcM
Use ZapMessenger to completely uninstall Messenger. Then re-download the newest version from here: http://messenger.live.com/ en install it.

Thank you. I have tried using Zap Messenger but it doesnt do anything...how long is it supposed to take?  It says a few min but for me, that hasnt been the case.  Thanks. Just want to make sure its working in the way intended.
RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by petercek on 12-03-2009 at 11:37 AM

Hi!

I have a problem.

When i sign in i only stay signed in for 10 seconds. Then i'm thrown out. There is no error report or anything, i just appear at the sign in aplication.

Today i installed msg plus and now it wont even sign me in!

any suggestions?

please help!

thanks.

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by Dimitris_K on 01-03-2010 at 06:11 PM

i can sign in to msn with 2 accounts, but with one account i can not! i receive this error code :8e5e0152.

isnt it weird? same pc, same messenger, not able to login with all accounts!please help.

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by billy170468 on 01-14-2010 at 11:34 AM

Hey all....

I am having trouble logging into MSN Messenger,,,, I dont recieve an error message, so then I went to the troubleshooting feature and every thing is ticked green apart from ie's offline (I use FF) and wireless (but I dont use wireless anyway) and it tells me I should be able to connect to MSN , but still I cant.  So I turned on the logging feature and the output is here ----->

EDIT: Now I get an error (81000306)

I hope someone out there can help.

Am willing to provide ANY info required.

Thanks

Andy

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by CookieRevised on 01-15-2010 at 09:19 AM

First I would strongly recommend to remove that log from Pastebin and the link from your post! We can't do much with it (we are not Microsoft). But more importantly it contains private data of yours and sometimes of your contacts, which could all be abused by people.

You should never post such logs in public! Only give them to Microsoft when you contact support.

----

Anyways,

Like the troubleshooter suggests, start by making sure MSIE is online!

Using FireFox (or any other browser) as your default browser hasn't got anything todo with all this. You use FF to browse the web, but many programs use MSIE components to connect to the internet. The same with Messenger, it needs MSIE (or rather its components) to function properly.

Think of it as MSIE being part of your OS and thus it's a needed component. That you can also use it to browse the internet is just a 'bonus'.

If you get an error, the first place to look is the official help and support:
http://help.live.com/ > Table of Contents > Error Messages > Windows Live Error Messages > Error 81000306

You can also look at one of the official blogs:
http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/ > Windows Live Messenger sign-in errors > Error 81000306

...just as said in the top post of this thread.

Note: if they tell you to visit a certain site to check out certain connections, you best always do it with MSIE, not with any other browser, as MSIE uses special components to 'talk' to sites, the same components Messenger needs and uses.

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by billy170468 on 01-17-2010 at 01:05 PM

OK, I have downloaded zapmessenger and uninstalled Messenger and re-downloaded Messenger. I try to connect but still no luck, When I hit troubleshooting, all the things are ticked green, EXCEPT IE offline setting so I am guessing thats my problem, but I do not know how to correct it.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Andy

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by billy170468 on 01-20-2010 at 02:55 AM

OK ... I now get ALL green ticks .. even the IE offline settings.... but STILL cant login !!!

Any help would be grateful !!

Thanks

Andy

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by Chrissy on 01-20-2010 at 02:56 AM

Hey,

What does it say when it wont let you login? Does it provide you with an error message?

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by billy170468 on 01-20-2010 at 04:02 AM

I have even tried making a new windows live ID... but no success.

Thanks

Andy

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by billy170468 on 01-20-2010 at 04:04 AM

Krissy,

No it does not supply me with an error... wish it did tho....

Thanks

Andy

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by billy170468 on 01-20-2010 at 04:08 AM

Krissy,

OK, I have shown details in the error report and it says Error number 81000306.. which is the same number it showed the last time. I went to microsofts website... went to the error number page and did all it asked me to and I still cannot get in !

please help me

Thanks

Andy

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by Chris4 on 01-20-2010 at 04:56 AM

billy170468, posting more than once in a row is considered against the forum rules. Please respect them and use the [Image: edit.gif] button.

Something is obviously blocking you into logging into Windows Live Messenger, usually something which is running on your computer, such as: internet security, firewall, anti-virus or incompatible add-ons.

Please read the Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. topic and research the error code.

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by billy170468 on 01-20-2010 at 07:20 AM

Chris4,

Sorry about the multi-post. I have been to microsofts website and understand that something must be wrong but i cannot workout what. I thought it might be ports in my firewall in my router (netgear dg834) so opened ports 1863 and 443 both ways but this didnt help me. If you can think of anything that I should look into then please let me know.

Thanks

Andy

RE: Windows Live Messenger Connection Problems etc. by spazzizzle on 09-18-2011 at 03:50 PM

after a windows update, my msn will not work, I get some message about the side by side is wrong... how do i fix this ?