Shoutbox

WLM On vista startup - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: WLM On vista startup (/showthread.php?tid=77537)

WLM On vista startup by mgsray on 09-16-2007 at 08:47 PM

Hi i'm new to this but i'll give it a go...
I'm currently running Vista on an acer laptop and i am unable to run WLM 8.1, I have downloaded the patch that was suggested from the acer website and it is still not working any and all ideas are gratefully recieved

RE: WLM On vista startup by Chris4 on 09-16-2007 at 09:23 PM

So, you've installed it fine? What happens when you try to run WLM? Nothing happen?

RE: WLM On vista startup by mgsray on 09-17-2007 at 02:41 PM

Yeah thats pretty much it i'm out of idea's

RE: WLM On vista startup by YourNeibour on 09-17-2007 at 07:21 PM

Try upgrading to version 8.5 of WLM apparently they have fixed alot of vista problems with this version

RE: WLM On vista startup by djdannyp on 09-18-2007 at 12:12 AM

My brother had this same problem with his new laptop.....there is a compatability issue between WLM and some pre-loaded Acer software

Once you remove the software (found under Add/Remove Programs) the issue goes away and WLM 8.1 or 8.5 will run fine

RE: WLM On vista startup by Nagamasa on 09-18-2007 at 02:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Once you remove the software (found under Add/Remove Programs) the issue goes away and WLM 8.1 or 8.5 will run fine
Imo, you shouldn't really be removing factory-defaults because they usually have some significant importance. Try re-downloading and re-installing the patch, as I am typing this message on a [fairly]new Acer laptop, which I did also need to patch.

Note that I am using WLM 2007, and I don't quite remember what happened with 8.1.
RE: WLM On vista startup by djdannyp on 09-18-2007 at 04:25 PM

The Acer e-management software or whatever it was doesn't serve any useful function.  It just hijacks operations normally controlled by Windows such as connecting to Wireless Networking, etc

Removing it is perfectly safe and will in most cases benefit your computer.  If you decided you couldn't live without it then it'll be on the discs that came with the laptop

RE: WLM On vista startup by kryp2nyt on 09-18-2007 at 07:18 PM

Is 8.5 officially released? Or is it still under beta?

RE: WLM On vista startup by mgsray on 09-19-2007 at 12:39 PM

Ok, I've installed WLM 8.5 no problems the only concern is that it loads up on the other users area (After a bit of time) but does not load up on my user area at all.
Starting to get really concerned about WLM

RE: WLM On vista startup by kryp2nyt on 09-19-2007 at 01:12 PM

Actually speaking, your concerns are profound. MSN 7.5 behaved waaaaaaaaaay better than WLM.

What the hell is microsoft thinking anyways??

RE: WLM On vista startup by mgsray on 09-20-2007 at 10:21 AM

Ok After a lot of tinkering i gave up....but i found a workaround for msn 7.5 so i am sticking with that If anyone still misses 7.5 Leave their e-mail adress And i'll e-mail them the workaround

RE: WLM On vista startup by Nagamasa on 09-20-2007 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kryp2nyt
Is 8.5 officially released? Or is it still under beta?
8.5 is still under beta, it's just that the beta tags themselves were removed
quote:
Originally posted by mgsray
And i'll e-mail them the workaround
Whole bunch of workarounds here: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE!