Shoutbox

Log Viewer - sorting and inconsistencies - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Log Viewer - sorting and inconsistencies (/showthread.php?tid=80008)

Log Viewer - sorting and inconsistencies by mezzanine on 12-13-2007 at 11:53 AM

These don't exactly qualify as bugs, but rather minor design inconsistencies.

I'm using the latest WLM and Plus!, with chat logging enabled; log files are grouped in folders by month (see Plus! settings).

[Image: sortingtc0.png]

As you can see in the above screenshot, the log folders seem to be sorted alphabetically, which obviously makes no sense when grouping them by date. Also, the "Browse for more..." link has a white/transparent icon in front of it.

Now let's focus a bit on the buttons at the bottom of the Log Viewer.

[Image: buttonsln8.png]

Their design is notably inconsistent. Also, while the new Search in all logs button uses a sexy Plus! dialog, the Find one uses the disturbingly ugly IE control.

Please do not reply only to confirm these, they have already been confirmed.

RE: Log Viewer - sorting and inconsistencies by -dt- on 12-13-2007 at 11:55 AM

I agree, the sorting alphabetically is annoying (well it became annoying once mezz pointed it out :( )

RE: Log Viewer - sorting and inconsistencies by Menthix on 12-13-2007 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
it became annoying once mezz pointed it out
Yeah, mezz makes things annoying :p.
RE: Log Viewer - sorting and inconsistencies by djdannyp on 12-13-2007 at 12:00 PM

Yeah, we discussed this during beta testing i think and came to the conclusion that it was too hard to actually sort the folders by date, because using windows' own sort functions could pose problems if people edit their logs (as the folders would end up in a completely random order)

i think the browse for more thing is intentional, it seems in keeping with normal styles

the reason that "Search in all logs" has a Plus dialog is because it's not a function offered by the browsers (which is used to view the logs).  The basic find function is already offered, so it may as well use the default one instead of Patchou having to code a new one, which would conflict with the normal shortcut (Ctrl+F) as well

RE: Log Viewer - sorting and inconsistencies by ahmetgns on 12-13-2007 at 01:45 PM

[Feature request]Log file naming Please visit for a more detailed discussion.