Shoutbox

People just don't understand Messenger Lock. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. (/showthread.php?tid=90829)

People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by mynetx on 05-29-2009 at 06:35 AM

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090523002508AAJF0wO

quote:
Undecided Question
I have windows live messenger with messenger plus. when u click ctl+space it closes how do u open it again?
when i click on the icon on my desktop it still won't open?

In my opinion having the Lock shortcut enabled by default might be confusing. People don't tend to read windows appearing only once...
RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by djdannyp on 05-29-2009 at 09:13 AM

I've argued this many times.  Messenger Lock should be disabled by default because a large number of problems on the forums are people who have accidentally locked it and don't know how to unlock it

RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by Voldemort on 05-29-2009 at 08:40 PM

the first time you press the shortcut, a window pops up asking you if that's what you really wanted to do... maybe a good solution would be adding an image of the icon they have to double click on the pop up window?

RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by Basilis on 05-29-2009 at 09:19 PM

Voldemort's idea is a good one. But mynetx has a point too so I think it is Patchou who has to choose the best way.

RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by MicroWay on 05-30-2009 at 01:43 AM

Well... I never had problems with it... Anyway...
I think you could leave both opitions: Lock feature disabled by defaut AND message when shortcut pressed the first time....

RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by ahmetgns on 05-30-2009 at 06:52 AM

I always wanted Plus! to inform the user how to unlock Messenger when they lock it. For a long discussion about this, [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger

RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by djdannyp on 05-30-2009 at 06:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay
Well... I never had problems with it... Anyway...
I think you could leave both opitions: Lock feature disabled by defaut AND message when shortcut pressed the first time....

if the lock feature is disabled, then the shortcut won't do anything, so shouldn't pop up with a message

it would be very bad practice to pop up a message for a shortcut for a feature that is disabled
RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by ahmetgns on 05-30-2009 at 07:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
if the lock feature is disabled, then the shortcut won't do anything, so shouldn't pop up with a message

it would be very bad practice to pop up a message for a shortcut for a feature that is disabled
The pop-up isn't shown if the option is disabled currently, that simple :/

RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by djdannyp on 05-31-2009 at 08:25 AM

Exactly, but the point is that the option should be disabled by default.

The pop-up isn't the issue, it's the fact that loads of people are accidentally locking messenger and not knowing what they've done, because it's enabled by default and shouldn't be

RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by MicroWay on 05-31-2009 at 02:18 PM

Sorry... I expressed myself wrong...
I was thinking to keep the pop-up showing when the user enables de lock feature and press the shortcut...
When it's disabled, nothing happens -> including no pop-up

RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by djdannyp on 05-31-2009 at 02:59 PM

That wouldn't work either.....the whole point of the locking/boss protection mode is to get rid of messenger quickly...if you had to 'okay' a pop-up box every time then it would take away that aspect of it.  The box was only added for people accidentally pressing the shortcut, but it doesn't seem to be working as it keeps happening

RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by MicroWay on 05-31-2009 at 03:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
The box was only added for people accidentally pressing the shortcut, but it doesn't seem to be working as it keeps happening
In that point I have to agree... I've seen lots of posts with "Help!! I've locked my WLM... What can I do now?"
RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by Patchou on 05-31-2009 at 09:28 PM

Well, the popup that is displayed the first time for every user is already giving a lot of informaiton. But you're right, an explanation picture may help too.

RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by CookieRevised on 05-31-2009 at 10:03 PM

And what about disabling it by default?

(and thus only showing the dialog the very first time the user has pressed the shortcut after enabling the feature. I know this might sound 'inconvenient' for some, but seeing the massive amount of "help I can't find wlm" it might be a good thing. The other people will read the text in the preferences that the first time a dialog will be shown and/or will test the feature before actually using it resulting in the same thing: the dialog will be shown and they are all set to start using the feature.)

RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by Patchou on 05-31-2009 at 10:29 PM

Well, from what I gathered, most of those people locked Mesenger notre with Ctrl+Space but from the Plus! menu. So, disabling the shortcut by default wouldn't help much.

RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by CookieRevised on 05-31-2009 at 10:41 PM

ah, very true....

but it might help for those who accidently press ctrl-space :D

RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by ahmetgns on 06-01-2009 at 07:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Well, from what I gathered, most of those people locked Mesenger notre with Ctrl+Space but from the Plus! menu. So, disabling the shortcut by default wouldn't help much.
This reminded me a very old reply of me to a thread.
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns in lock suggestion?
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by mezzanine
Or simply make the option disabled by default
Agreed, very simple fix and does the job well.
Don't forget the Plus! menu item "Lock Messenger" which I believe the 75% of newbies lock their Messenger via that item for the first time (it's only my guess, doesn't need to reflect reailites :P)
Now I know this guess is the reality.

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Well, the popup that is displayed the first time for every user is already giving a lot of informaiton. But you're right, an explanation picture may help too.
Although I don't have more to say about this matter, I have to remind again that that pop-up appears only when the shortcut is used so explanation with picture should be displayed for the case of locking with Plus! menu as well.
RE: People just don't understand Messenger Lock. by lopardo on 06-06-2009 at 02:00 AM

And it still sometimes activates itself when it shouldn't (option is disabled and/or with a different shortcut than the default one, yet pressing ctrl+space sometimes locks Messenger anyway).