What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger

Pages: (6): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
[suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
You know, people always come here and ask how they can unlock Messenger. We teach to them then new ones come, and I think there will be always people who ask this question because everytime a new guy meets Messenger Plus! and when sees "Lock Messenger" item in Plus! menu, he wants to lock it without thinking how he will unlock it.

So a tip window can be very useful, just like the Messenger Lock Shortcut window, which pops-up when the user firstly presses the key combination which locks Messenger.[Important edit: The window which I suggested in this thread will not popup when user presses the Messenger Lock Shortcut for the first time, but it will popup when user locks Messenger by any way (either with shortcut or Plus! menu item) for the first time.

So I played with that window and made it suitable for such a feature. I know there must be some other things, like to what icon user changes Messenger systray icon, or does Ctrl need to be hold when double clicking on it, but I'm sure you can overcome it.

The time to implement this feature is not too late, whenever this is implemented, people will benefit it for sure.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=873371]

.png File Attachment: unlock.PNG (25.94 KB)
This file has been downloaded 596 time(s).

This post was edited on 12-14-2007 at 02:46 PM by ahmetgns.
12-13-2007 08:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
warmth
Veteran Member

Electronic Engineer

39 / Male / Flag
RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
I like very much your idea...

btw nice modified screenshot ;)!!!
@warmth - Beta Testing a life!
Official Nokia (former Ovi) Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011)
12-13-2007 08:23 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
I've always wondered why Messenger Lock is enabled by default. Surely it should be disabled by default, then anyone that uses it can enable it and they will know how to use it? Enabling it by default just creates problems.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-13-2007 08:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
I like your idea, i think it will help out alot :)
No longer here.
12-13-2007 08:31 PM
warmth
Veteran Member

Electronic Engineer

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Enabling it by default just creates problems.
however of it... I think this is a good idea... cause I already know very people that enable options that they don't even know what mean...
@warmth - Beta Testing a life!
Official Nokia (former Ovi) Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011)
12-13-2007 08:32 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
Thanks for the support :), hey Patchou, hear us, we don't want to reply all the time to this question [j/k] :D.
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
I've always wondered why Messenger Lock is enabled by default. Surely it should be disabled by default, then anyone that uses it can enable it and they will know how to use it? Enabling it by default just creates problems.
Maybe you mean "Why the "Messenger Lock Shortcut" (Ctrl+Space) is enabled by default", right? You must have meant this because Messenger Lock item is and (I think) must exist on Plus! menu, otherwise how can a user find a way to lock it if he doesn't want to set a shortcut for it?

Also the shortcut can be disabled for the first time when Messenger Plus! is installed because in Configruation Wizard it asks to the user if he wants to set such a shortcut for Messenger Lock feature or not in the first place (I know people are too lazy to read it :P)

My suggestion is not about the shortcut itself, I am interested in the whole lock feature, independent from how the user locked it(with shortcut or from Plus! menu).

Edit: Hmm, too "s" in the word "Messenger" in the screenshot :)

This post was edited on 12-13-2007 at 08:47 PM by ahmetgns.
12-13-2007 08:45 PM
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
And then we would get two popups just for locking messenger? A bit too much if you ask me.
A small tip in the existing alert dialog would be quite sufficient IMO, as it's the sole responsibility of the user if (s)he fails at using this feature -_-
[Image: rdmazu.php]
12-13-2007 10:16 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
And then we would get two popups just for locking messenger? A bit too much if you ask me.
A small tip in the existing alert dialog would be quite sufficient IMO, as it's the sole responsibility of the user if (s)he fails at using this feature -_-
You may be right for a possible annoyence but those two popups will appear together only when user uses the shortcut to lock messenger, remember there is also a menu item for locking, so in that case only the second one will pop-up.

Also those two windows will be shown only once, there is no real annoyence in fact, right?

Yet, this window I suggested can be attached to the bottom of the first one which is for _shortcut_, in case the user locks his messenger with a shortcut for the first time. But there must always be two different windows, because they are different indeed, I mean the second one may be shown while the first will not.

But think again and try to remember the time when you first locked messenger. It would be useful if I was told how to unlock it afterwards with a window similar to this (eh, I can't remember, more than three years :))

This post was edited on 12-13-2007 at 10:33 PM by ahmetgns.
12-13-2007 10:32 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The point of the lock feature is that other people do not know that messenger is running, especially if you only use a shortcut to unlock it. And also the reason why the option "you need to hold ctrl to unlock" is there. Making such a dialog makes all these options useless.

If your teacher starts clicking on each icon and this popup turns up to tell him the proper shortcut to unlock it, then what is the point of the lock feature (other than setting a password)?

Remember, the lock feature comes from two old features: Boss Protection (which hide the windows, but didn't locked anything) and Messenger Lock (which locked messenger with a password, but didn't hide anything).

The new Lock Messenger feature combined these two. When the user will be presented with such dialog box popping up again, you actually revert back to how it was in Plus!3: simply hiding the window of Messenger, but otherwise plain visible to the teacher, you actually explain it to him, to what he must do to catch the pupil in the act.

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
But think again and try to remember the time when you first locked messenger.
By that time I already read the options in the preference panel. Before using any feature the user should read what those features are and how they (roughly) work....  You don't jump into a race car without knowing how to drive, stop, and turn the engine back off either....

As for being enabled by default, yes, in my humble opinion it should be disabled by default (just to prevent people to jump into the race car, before putting on their racing gloves).

This post was edited on 12-13-2007 at 10:41 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-13-2007 10:33 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The point of the lock feature is that other people do not know that messenger is there, especially if you only use a shortcut to unlock it.

If your teacher starts clicking on each icon and this popup turns up to tell you the proper shortcut to unlock it, then what is the point of the lock feature (other than setting a password)?

Remember the lock feature comes from two old features, Boss Protection (which hide all windows, but didn't locked anything) and Messenger Lock (which locked messenger with a password, but didn't hide anything).

The new Lock Messenger feature combined these two. When the user will be presented with such dialog box popping up again, you actually revert back to how it was in Plus!3: simply hiding the window of Messenger, but otherwise plain visible to the teacher to what he must do to catch the pupil in the act.
I am happy because I didn't mean what you worry about Cookie :)
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
and Messenger Lock (which locked messenger with a password, but didn't hide anything).
I think you remember wrong, simply because I don't know how Messenger can be locked while its all windows are still there. I remember it was hiding the widnows as well as requiring a password to unlock.
12-13-2007 10:39 PM
Pages: (6): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: