What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Should I buy this TV?

Poll: Should I purchase this TV?
Yes, Do it!
No, Its not worth it.
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Should I buy this TV?
Author: Message:
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Should I buy this TV?
Here is the url for the TV where I would buy it from.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?s...ept=11&WLBS=fsweb5

Here is the Panasonic info page.
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...3&ignoreRedirect=1

[Image: 10042332.jpg]
06-05-2004 01:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Should I buy this TV?
I think u sholdn't coz it doesnt support HDMI-HDCP.
And that's going to be the msot used in some years.
06-05-2004 02:04 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Should I buy this TV?
This is the term of HDMI-HDCP

HDMI-HDCP

HDMI is a new standard digital connection between A/V devices, such as a set-top box, DVD player or A/V receiver, and a digital television. HDMI offers exceptional video and audio quality with a single quick-disconnect connector. It supports multi-channel digital audio transmissions and component video color spacing for true rendering of HD video. HDMI supports the HDCP copy protection standard, allowing transmission of copy-protected digital content to your display. The video portion of HDMI is also backwards-compatible with DVI-HDCP devices using a special cable adapter.

But it doesn't make any sense at all. Care to explain? (I am sick today so I am not really coherent)
06-05-2004 02:09 PM
illuzn

00 Dodge Viper GTS-R

– / Male / –
Put simply the HDMI-HDCP standard is puported to remove the need for large amounts of cable to transmit high quality image information. I don't know whether HDMI will replace what is in currently... but heres what i would look for:
  • Component video inputs with separate Y,PR,PB channels (so no multiplexing is needed)
  • Audio out with 5.1 support (coax or optical)
This way your tv will plug into almost any hardware that is out there at the moment. Now as for the tv you've selected:
1. It has component video inputs
2. It doesn't have optical out (coax out maybe...)
Next model up integrates optical out address as follows:
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...rfModel=PT-53WXD63
[Image: signature.jpg]
06-05-2004 02:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
I wouldn't go for it when you can get a brand new Plasma Flat panel television for only $3000 from the same store :banana:
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
06-05-2004 03:53 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Sk3tch
Veteran Member

We are Samurai, the keyboard cowboys

38 / Male / –
I’m not going to get technical with the components and HDMI-HDCP ect..  im just going to say it's not worth it (IMO). I mean sure its nice and (:drool:) i would never ever say no to one. But, taking its price and what it is, i think you should keep saving and use your money for something better then a T.V :)

However if its something you really want and have had your eye on for sometime, and of course if you can afford it then by all means do what you want. Its your money ;)
Sk3tch@Microsoft.com - Email
- 53 6B 33 74 63 68 34 64@hotmail.com - Messenger
06-05-2004 04:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Sk3tch
I’m not going to get technical with the components and HDMI-HDCP ect..  im just going to say it's not worth it (IMO). I mean sure its nice and (:drool:) i would never ever say no to one. But, taking its price and what it is, i think you should keep saving and use your money for something better then a T.V :)

However if its something you really want and have had your eye on for sometime, and of course if you can afford it then by all means do what you want. Its your money ;)

I agree, and also, I know u play video games, and you can't play them on projection TV's without a high risk of damaging them (something about burning the picture into the TV).
06-05-2004 04:35 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Should I buy this TV?
quote:
Originally posted by blade
I agree, and also, I know u play video games, and you can't play them on projection TV's without a high risk of damaging them (something about burning the picture into the TV).

Montana you have the risk of doing that with anything. Even a stupid monitor. Thats why there is an On/Off Shitch on tvs and a Screen Saver on a computer to prevent a constant image to be burnt into the screen. But I will talk to the dude(or chick) at Future Shop
06-05-2004 04:55 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Matty.

Montana you have the risk of doing that with anything. Even a stupid monitor. Thats why there is an On/Off Shitch on tvs and a Screen Saver on a computer to prevent a constant image to be burnt into the screen. But I will talk to the dude(or chick) at Future Shop

8-) Duh, I mean that there is a very high risk with projection TV's according to the console  owner's manuals...

I quote this from page 5 of the XBOX owner's manual:

"Do not use with certain televisions. Some televisions, especially front- or rear-projection types can be damaged if any images presented during the normal course of gameplay may "burn" into the screen, causing a permanent shadow of the static image to appear at all atimes, even when video games are not being played. Similar damage may occur from static images creadted when placing a video game on hold or pause..."

Read more on Page 5 of the owner's manual if you want...and sorry for any typos I missed bcz I was typing while readin the manual :P

This post was edited on 06-05-2004 at 05:05 PM by .blade//.
06-05-2004 04:59 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: