What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » "Allow this page to access your computer"

"Allow this page to access your computer"
Author: Message:
Pure_BY
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. Huh?  "Allow this page to access your computer"
I am using StuffPlug-NG. This plugin has a feature to open Hotmail in your default browser. So when u click on a Hotmail link in Messenger, it will open in your default browser. Well the problem is, it uses a page that has to redirect me. Access to that page is blocked by XP SP2, so i need to press "this" button every visit... It's really annoying as hell :@

I would like that page ( C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp\spng_redirect.html ) to have access to my PC. How do I put it in "save list"? Thanx!
06-07-2004 10:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
RE: "Allow this page to access your computer"
Ok...I had SP2, but not anymore, so here it goes.

Try going to that page again. When the little bar shows up, click something along the lines of "Change Windows Firewall settings". Here there will be an option to turn Windows Firewall off completely. You could also look through the Control Panel as well. You don't need Windows Firewall if you have your own.

Hope this helps!
[Image: 7.png]
06-08-2004 12:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
uryan

While the open hotmail in default thread is running rampant, I thought I would also shed some light on this issue, which may affect browsers based on the IE engine if they are set to use SP2's new security features.
It has nothing to do with Windows Firewall, but rather a new security "feature" called local machine lockdown. Basically it stops html files on your computer running javascript and other active content. It does this to reduce the damage that can be caused by various IE security holes (of course what they should have done is fix the holes so this wasn't necessary. It is ridiculous that the local machine zone allows less than the internet zone).
Also there is no way to add individual pages on you computer into a "trusted zone" like you can for a page on the internet

Anyway, it can be solved in a few ways:
You can adjust your IE security settings to disable local machine lockdown. This is not recommended as it could/will open up security holes

TheBlasphemer could make SPNG add a "mark of the web" to the temp file it creates to log you into hotmail. This will cause IE to view the file as if it was in the internet or local intranet zone, which will allow scripting. (Recommended :P)

You could make the changes yourself, but this is probably violating the license agreement (I think some countries allow modifications to fix bugs regardless of the license agreement, but don't take my word for it) (Not recommended)

I have not given instructions for any of these as you will likely stuff up you computer/SPNG/open up security holes if you don't know what you are doing
11-23-2004 12:37 AM
Caboose

35 / Male / –
Hhmmm... that only happens with IE. And IE opens up the links in MSN by default... why would you need the Stuff Plugin for that...?

:S
11-23-2004 12:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
Hhmmm... that only happens with IE. And IE opens up the links in MSN by default... why would you need the Stuff Plugin for that...?
:S
read the complete thread were you posted an hour ago ;)
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=34640

This post was edited on 11-23-2004 at 12:53 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-23-2004 12:51 AM
Caboose

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
read the complete thread were you posted an hour ago ;)
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=34640
Well, this proves that I truly am an idiot :P
Thanks ^_^
11-23-2004 12:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: