What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Right click on an picture-> Save Picture As, saves it in bmp format!

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Right click on an picture-> Save Picture As, saves it in bmp format!
Author: Message:
MoRiA

Web2Messenger Creator

37 / Male / –
RE: Right click on an picture-> Save Picture As, saves it in bmp format!
Hehe. I just saved my avatar as a jpg, as it should be ;)
06-10-2004 02:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
it's a bug with IE. Clear your cache and your cookies and restart IE. You propably can't see the source of html pages too?
Yep.
How did you guess it?
Thats why i couldnt see the source at a game which was in T&T called "Blue background game" or something.
I thought that the creator did something that we couldnt see the source... :P
Anyway ill try what you said krypto.
Thanks
I used to have it too when I used IE :-/.

quote:
Originally posted by MoRiA
Hehe. I just saved my avatar as a jpg, as it should be ;)
it's not because you use IE that you can't save as .jpeg or so :p, it's just sometimes when your cache gets too big that it appears.

This post was edited on 06-10-2004 at 02:57 PM by Kryptonate.
06-10-2004 02:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Right click on an picture-> Save Picture As, saves it in bmp format!
I did what you said, but no luck... :(
Any other suggestions?
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
06-10-2004 02:57 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
The bug is caused when your cache is full.  When preparing the picture for your viewing pleasure it is alway temporarily converted to bmp in an immediate temp location.  If your cache has reached its limit, it will not be able to find the original file it downloaded in its original format because it doesn't exist... you therefore have three options, enlarge your cache, clear your cache when it fills up or don't use cache at all, in which case files are cached temporarily in a different location to serve the purpose of save as.
06-10-2004 03:04 PM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Right click on an picture-> Save Picture As, saves it in bmp format!
Well i cleared my cache like krypto said, cleared cookies, restarted IE and nothing happened! :(
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
06-10-2004 03:10 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Maybe the pic you're right-clicking is a bmp pic? :P
06-10-2004 04:11 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

be happy it saves in BMP instead of GIF. gif quality is aweful! just use an image editor, or even paint, to switch formats.
06-10-2004 04:13 PM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
be happy it saves in BMP instead of GIF. gif quality is aweful!
Yes, I just love it when I don't get to choose to save in the format of my choice, especially when it's an animated gif; they look so much better as bitmap! :o

This post was edited on 06-10-2004 at 04:20 PM by Tochjo.
06-10-2004 04:20 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

ok except for animated gifs :p
06-10-2004 04:21 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
Oh yeah, I love transparent bitmaps!! Really.

And hey, what dumbasses, if they converted their gifs into bitmaps they would be bettering the quality. Yeah, crappy GIF format....

:dodgy:

j/k

GIF is a very good format for little images for the web. It is limited to 256 colors, but sometimes you don't even need more than 10 colors to have a proper image.

My winamp tracker has 200 colors (it's png, but it's similar in this case) Do you think it's crappy? I could export it in same (or better if I get it to 256 colors) quality to GIF and you wouldn't notice any crappy color transition. At least without zooming in.
GIF files don't need to have data for colors they don't even contain (<- If you got this sentence you're a genius :grin:)

look at my example:
[Image: BMPvsGIF.png]
All images are 100x100pixels.

First image:
I grab my Photoshop and do that color mixture. It doesn't have all colors but you'll agree that it has a wide range, at least more than 256 colors (if you ever had an old VGA-card you'll notice that those are way more than 256 colors ;)). Well. I exported it into BMP24bit (this BMP uses 24 bits = 3 bytes to define the color of one pixel). That means 30.000 bytes. Those 56 bytes are due to formatting and color data (somewhere the picture needs to have information about the dimensions, and the color, f.i. ;))

Second image:
That is the maximal quality I can get with GIF upon this image. If you compare 1 and 2, you'll see that the second image has a slight quality loss. But you wouldn't have noticed if they weren't put together. (Don't get so close to the screen! :P)  Why? Well, yeah... it's 8 bit color, 1 byte per pixel. Calculator: 1 * 100 * 100 = 10.000.
However image number 2 is less than 7.5KiB big. Houston, we've got a problem. Don't worry. GIF uses a technology that makes it capable to index certain colors that are repeated and makes pixels with that color smaller in size. There are not many repeated colors in this image, but there are. So the advantage of GIF is set in by the compressor. You can compare it to:

Third Image:
This is a copy of image 2 in BMP with 24 bit color. A real waste of space, since only 256 colors are used. This is what you are happy to do, Millenium_edition.  ;)
all pixels are capable to show 24bit colors, but they effectively only show 256, and hence it's 300% size (8bit to 24bit).
BMP24, btw, it the standard BMP format nowadays.

Fourth Image:
BMP 8bit. Yeah, that would be the alternative to the big fat 24bit BMP. And should be enough to show our low quality image. Remember that it's a copy of image 2, it haz only 256 colors anyway, so BMP8 fits it perfectly. But no luck. That color indexing of GIF does no longer exist in here :(.
And even more. It got magically about 1KiB more than expected (1*100*100 = 10.000). I'm not sure about this, but maybe, some colors in the image are not in the standard 256 colors of BMP8  (if you ever had an old VGA you'll get what I mean, again ;)). Those base 256 colors are fixed colors, but we are probably using a bunch of othe colors in here that don't fit to BMP8 standard colors. Paint exported real crap in BMP8. Photoshop was a bit kinder and exported it in BMP8, but corrected old colors to fit the real colors with only 1KiB more. :)
06-10-2004 09:29 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: