What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [suggestion] msn alert volume

[suggestion] msn alert volume
Author: Message:
desert_lullaby

37 / Female / –
O.P. [suggestion] msn alert volume
it's late, you don't want to wake people up, so you turn down the volume of your speakers and winamp... it's all good... till suddenly...
someone signs in/sends you a message and it sends you flying off your chair in suprise, cuts out the best bit of your favourite song and in the worst cases even wakes everyone up ...
solution: alert volume adjustment please??
09-30-2004 08:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [suggestion] msn alert volume
erm... no.... :D

Adjusting the volume in programs like Winamp, WMP, etc... is a standard feature, but really shouldn't be used to control the systemvolume of Windows!!! That is not the purpose of that control... For that you have your systemvolume control panel (or whatever you call it), use it....

If you have sounds in Windows, you'll notice that their volume will also be 'loud' compared to your Winamp soundvolume...

In other words, useless because the volume in MSN Messenger (and any other program for that matter (eg, like mIRC)) is controlled by your system en you already have a nice control for that (speakericon in your systemtray)...

This post was edited on 09-30-2004 at 09:12 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-30-2004 09:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Better yet... spend some money, get a decent set of powered speakers, and adjust the volume that way.
09-30-2004 09:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
desert_lullaby

37 / Female / –
O.P. RE: [suggestion] msn alert volume
no need to be so patronising!! just because not everyone knows everything there is to know about msn doesn't mean you have to be so snooty about it... anyways..

i do have decent speakers, and I do use the the system volume control, but that doesn't really work... noone I know has ever managed to set the volume control in a way that msn noises are quieter than the rest... it seems to either be as loud or louder than everything else 
the only way I've seen anyone be able to do it is to record all the msn sounds then rerecord them at lower volme and replace them, there must be an easier way surely.
10-03-2004 03:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
Better yet... spend some money, get a decent set of powered speakers, and adjust the volume that way
Matty. is saying that you could just ajust the volume on the speakers, insted of just turning msn alerts down. Which would make more sense if your afraid of waking people up
10-03-2004 04:12 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by desert_lullaby
the only way I've seen anyone be able to do it is to record all the msn sounds then rerecord them at lower volme and replace them, there must be an easier way surely.
Because that is the only way. Like I said, MSN Messenger is just another common application which uses the default system soundengine. To regulate that volume, you regulate the total system volume. Settings the volume of the sounds in MSN Messenger has actually nothing todo with MSN Messenger but with Windows itself...

btw, you don't need to record and rerecord anything. Just open the sounds in a sound editing program and lower the volume, then save the file again. (if you have Nero Burning Rom, you can use the soundeditor that comes with it for example).

This post was edited on 10-03-2004 at 07:49 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-03-2004 07:47 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: