What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Accessing 'Access Denied' Folders and chat logs

Accessing 'Access Denied' Folders and chat logs
Author: Message:
odyssey3001

O.P. Cool  Accessing 'Access Denied' Folders and chat logs
Hello everyone.

I remember seeing posts on here asking if you can access your chat logging folders after forgetting passwords, or after a re-install of msngr+. I know I've had problems accessing encrypted chat logs and folders before and was resigned to losing these logs.

I believe I have found an answer to your/our problems on the Microsoft website :-

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but I have just found the above webpage whilst looking for a solution to another problem I was having.
01-05-2005 09:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Accessing 'Access Denied' Folders and chat logs
I think it isn't possible to access encrypted documents without the right password...
[Image: signature.php]
01-05-2005 09:21 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
odyssey3001

O.P. RE: Accessing 'Access Denied' Folders and chat logs
I have followed the instructions in the linked page and now have access to ALL encrypted files and folders that I could not access previously.

So, I know it does work ;-)
Didn't mention in last post that you don't need the passwords to access the files. Just open them as a normal un-encrypted file with notepad.

This post was edited on 01-05-2005 at 09:32 AM by WDZ.
01-05-2005 09:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Accessing 'Access Denied' Folders and chat logs
Don't confuse two very different things...

What odyssey3001 is talking about is about the encrypted folders of your Windows account on your PC, nothing more, nothing less. And above all, you HAVE to be able to get access with an administration account. Meaning if you don't know the password from an administration account you still can't have/create access (of course, otherwise the whole administration account/guest account type of thing would be totaly useless if normal accounts and guest accounts could login and take the ownership of each account they whish)

This has NOTHING todo with Messenger Plus! and/or with the chat logs of Messenger Plus!. They will still be encrypted as useall (if you've encrypted them of course)...

In short: very wrong forum (this should be in "TechTalk"); this has NOTHING to do with Messenger Plus!, and the subject is also very misleading...

This post was edited on 01-05-2005 at 04:34 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-05-2005 04:30 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: