What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » About a Wi-Fi lan

About a Wi-Fi lan
Author: Message:
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
O.P. About a Wi-Fi lan
Today some one is coming round my house to Lan my pc's together wirelessly. He said that even though my 300 K internet would be shared it wouldn't go any slower if other people where using the net on the lan at the same time. Is this true?
AC3
01-16-2005 12:42 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: About a Wi-Fi lan
i've got it...it wont go ALOT slower..but it will go slightly slower, i think, and another thing, if u put the router to far from a pc(behind 2 or 3 walls) it will be a bit more slower...
01-16-2005 12:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool

Today some one is coming round my house to Lan my pc's together wirelessly.
Funny you said that, I'm doing the same thing myself tomorrow, but I can't help but notice you may have nicked by idea, that I planned a while ago...:dodgy:, again seriously it's not that hard to set up a WiFi, do it yourself...putting in a PCI card is not rocket science :p

As I told you before, your connection speed on the internet is always the same, if everyone hogs the bandwidth, it will go slower...You can't go above 300kbits, full stop...
If you, your Mam, and your sister all download a 100mb file, the bandwidth will be shared...

quote:
Originally posted by johny
if u put the router to far from a pc(behind 2 or 3 walls) it will be a bit more slower...
If he's getting the router I think he is, it shouldn't make that much difference...around 54mbits per second I believe, and a large range...

Also don't forget what I told you the other day about securing the WiFi, or some of those guys who go around the country tapping into WiFi's may take up residence, or more likely a neighbour who wants free internet...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
01-16-2005 03:41 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
it shouldn't make that much difference...around 54mbits per second I believe
mine is a 54 mbits p sec and goes and when in the living room (5 metres from the library and 2 walls), goes a little slower..
quote:
a neighbour who wants free internet...
I dont have those problems:P:P, my only close neighbour has 80 + years:lol:....if she touched any pc i'd go and give her a nobel prize:P
01-16-2005 03:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: About a Wi-Fi lan
quote:

Also don't forget what I told you the other day about securing the WiFi, or some of those guys who go around the country tapping into WiFi's may take up residence, or more likely a neighbour who wants free internet...

Funny you should mention those guys who travel for internet...I suspect someone who does that in our school. :P Anyways I am on the lan now... 180 GB all to myself ahhh nothing like it...apart from more space of course.

This post was edited on 01-16-2005 at 05:24 PM by _Humphreys.
AC3
01-16-2005 05:24 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: