What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » File blocking is stupid

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
File blocking is stupid
Author: Message:
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: File blocking is stupid
quote:
Originally posted by lp15
second, yes the virus programmers can always send these files, bt an innoncent kid who receives it without knowing cannot send t back to his friends because he don't have the patch..

What if the virus disables the file blocking so it can send ;)

That's the whole point of the thread :P
04-10-2005 02:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: File blocking is stupid
quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
quote:
second, yes the virus programmers can always send these files, bt an innoncent kid who receives it without knowing cannot send t back to his friends because he don't have the patch..

What if the virus disables the file blocking so it can send ;)

That's the whole point of the thread :P

:| ehat if the damn virus was just filtered trought ur showing Ip trough msn and what if it made ur whole pc explode and what if it made everything in ur house explode as well..?! stop complaining abut the blocked extensions, if y'all think u so smart, find a way to block virus dispersion ur self!
04-10-2005 02:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
I think + security = less privacy.

Sometimes privacy invasions are done with the pretext of security. Im not saying its the case here.

I think they shouldnt do that, imagine you had a non malicious file with that extension and wanted to send it?. So why dont we block .exe and othe extensions then?

In case of national security and such why dont we put cameras everywhere including peoples houses to see if there is any terrorist?..

Sometimes too much security is very very bad.. we havent reached the extreme but if Microsoft continues like that, in the future all our convos will be logged to their servers for world's security.. :/
04-10-2005 02:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by paperless
I think + security = less privacy.

Sometimes privacy invasions are done with the pretext of security. Im not saying its the case here.

I think they shouldnt do that, imagine you had a non malicious file with that extension and wanted to send it?. So why dont we block .exe and othe extensions then?

In case of national security and such why dont we put cameras everywhere including peoples houses to see if there is any terrorist?..

Sometimes too much security is very very bad.. we havent reached the extreme but if Microsoft continues like that, in the future all our convos will be logged to their servers for world's security.. :/

ok ye but personally i prefer o have blocked extensions than to have 100 ppl on my 150 sending me borpia.. don't u?
04-10-2005 02:55 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Wow that sounded mean to me:'(

I'm not complaining really i've got a patch i just find it annoying when people still get viruses even though they are meant to be cracked down.
04-10-2005 02:56 PM
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
ok ye but personally i prefer o have blocked extensions than to have 100 ppl on my 150 sending me borpia.. don't u?

Thats why antivirus exist..
04-10-2005 02:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by paperless
quote:

Thats why antivirus exist..

ye but ppl who only use their pc to chat or to listen to music never pay 150$ for a antivirus, or even care about dwl a free one..  thats why im syaing, i personallyhave ppl on my list who are alwaysup-to-date when it comes to antivuirus and verything, others don't even know how to configure account in window xp.. i mean come on.. yes they should take more interest at nknowng what they're doing cuz they risk to damage their pc but that's not what they rll care about..

quote:
Wow that sounded mean to me:'(

I'm not complaining really i've got a patch i just find it annoying when people still get viruses even though they are meant to be cracked down.

nothing personal man just is getting on my nerve to see all thee things about blocked extensions.. i mnean MSN Messenger is tyring its best to keep chtting the safer way possible but i mean.. let's at least give em credit for that..
04-10-2005 03:03 PM
segosa
Community's Choice

quote:

So let’s say someone makes a virus. They tweak their msn so they can send those files and send them to random people. The random person can see the file and they download it. The virus also changes their msn so they can send those files as well automaticly and soon everyone is as infected just as usual.

No. It's on the receiving end. This theory is impossible.

I just rename them and put some random letter inside the extension like "file.efxe". Most of my contacts are smart enough to know how to rename files. It doesn't bother me much at all.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
04-10-2005 04:15 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
No. It's on the receiving end. This theory is impossible

Thanks that's what i wanted to know ;)
So microsoft have done a good job of sercuity :D
I've got a patch to stop the blocked extensions so i'm not that bovered
Thanks everyone :P
04-10-2005 04:31 PM
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
this file blocking isnt meant to stop viruses really as we can see from all the possible ways round it. it simply takes away the accept file and open thing directly in messenger. the file extension has to be changed in explorer. but i think there is a definate balance between securtiy and privacy. unfortunately some people will never be happy, especially when it involves microsoft.
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
04-10-2005 06:21 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: