What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Help - virus?

Help - virus?
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. Undecided  Help - virus?
Hey ppl - Ok, I got on my PC this morning and everything seems normal, accept the fact that my mouse keeps freezing :| The PC don't freeze (I can still ALT + TAB, type, etc) - it's just my mouse.

Do you know if there's a virus that would do this, or am I going to have to spend some more money to replace my expensive mouse? :(

It's a Logitech MX500 wired optical mouse, btw. Picture for effect ;) :p:
[Image: MX500.jpg]

This post was edited on 04-17-2005 at 03:21 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
04-17-2005 03:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Help - virus?
Im not sure, but how about you tru another mouse? an old one or whateverm just to see if it has somehting to do with your pc, or your mouse.
04-17-2005 03:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i got the Same Mouse Blade an i dont have any problems with it.. but i do believe there is a MX510 out i think?.. i not sure
04-17-2005 03:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Help - virus?
I don't have a mouse lying around ATM, but I haven't had any problems with it until now. I've had it since the summer and it worked perfectly - even last night.
04-17-2005 03:52 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Ok - it's not the mouse. I found back another one and it didn't do any better. Anyone have any ideas? Now my Mouse has ENTIRELY locked up :(

This post was edited on 04-17-2005 at 04:22 PM by .blade//.
04-17-2005 04:22 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Is this mouse plugged into the PS/2 or USB port? This model can be used easily in both, if I am not mistaken (with the right adapter on the end :p). If both mice had problem in the PS/2 port, it could just be that it is damaged slightly, in which case you will need to repair it. If both were plugged into USB, try different USB ports and see if it works.

Also if you can get the USB adapter for it, if the PS/2 is damaged, you could just plug it into a USB and have an easy quick cheapish fix.

You could always download and install the MouseWare for that model click here to download. But since other mice don't work, this is a long shot.

quote:
Originally posted by Demz
but i do believe there is a MX510 out i think?
Yeah, I saw it. Looks a good mouse, but over here it's like £40, when you've got a MX500 like blade has, it's lunacy to go for a MX510 if you can get the 500 repaired cheaply.

Personally I don't believe in really flashy mice, there's just more stuff in it that can go wrong with the type of usage it gets, and they're ridiculously priced. The most advanced thing I go for is a simple scroll bar.

Edit: If you want to see if it is most likely a software problem you could try a system restore. Start > Help and Support > Restore my computer to an earlier time > Follow it through and pick a date before it started. If that doesn't work it implies, but doesn't mean for sure, that it isn't a software problem. It may work; I've heard it work in similar cases.

This post was edited on 04-17-2005 at 04:49 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
04-17-2005 04:43 PM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Make sure the driver is installed and correctly plugged in.

Did you install anything that could affect the driver last night?
04-17-2005 04:46 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Make sure the driver is installed and correctly plugged in.

Did you install anything that could affect the driver last night?

No - and it wouldn't have effected the other (wheel mouse) I tried anyways.

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Is this mouse plugged into the PS/2 or USB port? This model can be used easily in both, if I am not mistaken (with the right adapter on the end :p). If both mice had problem in the PS/2 port, it could just be that it is damaged slightly, in which case you will need to repair it. If both were plugged into USB, try different USB ports and see if it works.

Also if you can get the USB adapter for it, if the PS/2 is damaged, you could just plug it into a USB and have an easy quick cheapish fix.

You could always download and install the MouseWare for that model click here to download. But since other mice don't work, this is a long shot.

It is plugged into the PS/2 port, and so was the wheel mouse, but I tested it on theuSB port and that didn't effect it.

Restarting the computer seems to have fixed it, but I don't know how.

And FYI - the MX510 is just the MX500 with a few MINOR tweaks and a red or blew plate instead of a grey one. I got mine cheap though. It's a $50-$60 (Canadian) mouse which I got for $25 bcz it was floor model :P

(MX510)
[Image: mx510-4.jpg] [Image: mx510.jpg]

Anyways - thanks for the help. I'll tell you if it starts up again.
04-17-2005 05:31 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

I had the same problem, and all I did to fix it was to reboot it twice... but I also cleaned out the ps/2 port.
04-17-2005 05:38 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: