What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Plugins, what you need to know

Plugins, what you need to know
Author: Message:
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Plugins, what you need to know
[Image: plugins75fs.png]

Below is my guide to messenger plus! plugins, enjoy! Remember plugins are not made by messenger plus! but, by other people. :)

What is a messenger plus! plugin?

Well a messenger plus! plugin will add certain features to your msn messenger experience. All require messenger plus! to be installed, and it is recommend you have the latest version of messenger plus! as well.

What can they do?

Well, they do many things. You just need to look at the features list of a plugin. Some plugins need extra things to work, such as the other user having messenger plus! installed and sometimes the plugin itself. However, most do not.

All messenger plus! plugins show themselves in the plus preferences and you can enable them, and disable certain plugins when you want.

[Image: plugins14fq.jpg]

How do I install?

Well, most have their own installers, which you download, and run, however some require other things, usually placing certain dll in the plus plugins directory and the messenger directory. The messenger plus! plugins directory can be found by:

Going into “My Computer” selecting “hdd” or “c:” drive. The going into “program files” then into “messenger plus! 3” and last into the “plugins” folder.

Some VB plugins need to be manually registered using regsvr32, so you need to cover the need to Start > Run > regsvr32 and link to the path of the dll file you need to register.

Always look at the readme, if any ;)

How do I uninstall?

Again, like before most have uninstallers, just go to control panel and select “add/ remove programs” you should get a list. Scroll down to the plugin and select change/ remove and follow the uninstaller.

[Image: plugins22co.jpg]

However, some do not, so just disable them but unticking their box in the plus, plugins options.

Beta plugins

Now many plugins posted on the forum are in beta. Meaning that contain bugs and could damage your computer and have a better change to not having an installer. Use these at your own risk and be wary of the beta plugins.

Plugins from the database

The messenger plus! plugin database is outdated in my view; some no longer work, or are not compatible. I recommend the forums for the new versions. Below is the list of recommend, safe plugins to use.

How do i make them?

Well as long as you know programming it's pritty simple. You just need to plus api to attach it to plus. Which can be found here.

Recommend plugins:

Stuffplug
[Image: plugins31by.jpg]
Colour Nick 2
Phoenix
Screenshot Sender 3 Beta
[Image: plugins44vr.jpg]
File Transfer Plus
Advanced Log Viewer
Plus! Tweak
Music Log Plus!
[Image: plugins54hz.jpg]

Please state any errors or more plugins you would like to add :)

This post was edited on 08-04-2005 at 12:43 PM by absorbation.
08-04-2005 12:08 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Plugins, what you need to know
Looks great, might wanna add something like what you need to know to make them/links to the plus API though :)

This post was edited on 08-04-2005 at 12:18 PM by ddunk.
08-04-2005 12:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Plugins, what you need to know
quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
Looks great, might wanna add something like what you need to know to make them/links to the plus API though

ok, i'll do that now ;)
08-04-2005 12:20 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
There are a few problems;
1. Where you say to place the .dll files, that some plugins need manually placing, you mention the default installation path for Plus only. Some people have custom install paths, so it should have a footnote telling people if they have a custom install directory the need to improvise their directory to suit.

2. Not all plugins are listed in add/remove programs, you really should say that plugins can be disabled in Main Messenger Window > Plus > Preferences > Plugins. Or the method of deleting the .dll file\files of the plugin and the need to restart messenger after deleting the dll file\files.

3. Some VB plugins need to be manually registered using regsvr32, so you need to cover the need to Start > Run > regsvr32 and link to the path of the dll file you need to register. You could have this in a section of what to do if a plugin doesn't work or something like that.

4. I'd mention the need to look in the readme of the file if you can't install the plugin or it does not work.

5. Also I think it would be best to cover the .reg files that often accompany the .dll file\files.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
08-04-2005 12:33 PM
TazDevil

sleep(0);

40 / Male / Flag
(admin sticky plz)

Also add that when a plugin mulfunctions plus security system automatically disables the plugin and you have to enable it again on your own
Window Manager is discontinued, for WLM try the new,
Enhancer for contact list docking, auto-hide, hide taskbar button, remove button flashing and remember keyboard layout in conversation windows
08-04-2005 12:33 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: