What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » A few suggestions...

A few suggestions...
Author: Message:
hs398

O.P. Wink  A few suggestions...
Hi, I'm a new user (to both the program and this forum), but I have a few suggestions. I'm not sure if this is the area for this, but if not feel free to move it. Here is what I suggest:

1. With contacts placed on the desktop, It could have a white (or otherwise designated) color background, and when they sign on it could have another color.  Also the other options could be changed if someone signs on.
Example: "John" is logged off. He is one of my desktop contacts. His name is black text on a white background. Now John signs on. The color of the text changes to white, and the background to orange.
Example 2: "Bill" never logs off his computer. He is always marked as "Away" when he is not on. When he changes his status to Online, His name on the desktop changes color, similar to "John".

2. In preferences> Notifications> Sounds, it displays the people on your list and you can change their sound. But you can only use sound files. It would be a good idea to support sounds from the sound library.

3. With the personalized status option, you are forced to choose busy, away, etc. It would be nice if you could also set a status while remaining "Online", that way you can show you're available while still showing a status.
Example: I'm online, and I want to play poker. I want to set my status, but poker doesnt require my full attention, so I don't want to be marked as Busy. I remain in online mode but with the personalized status showing others that I am playing poker.

4. In Preferences> General Options > Misc, there is an option to automatically change the status after a period of inactivity. I think you should have the option to mark "Do not change if I am already in a Personalized Status".
Example: My status is "Watching A DVD Movie". My status will automaticaly change to "Asleep/AFK" after only 30 minutes. So while I'm watching, people will think I am not there, when in reality I'm just watching a movie, and I haven't moved the mouse for more than 30 minutes. But if I check the box, then it will not change my personal status.

5. In the Sounds panel, there should be customizable sections where you can make a list of your favorite sounds, or group some together.
Example: I want to make a list with only "Homer" sounds, and another list with only "Futurama" sounds. I create a custom option for the drop down menu, "Homer", and add all the sounds I want with a dialog box. I create a new custom sound list for "Futurama" sounds, and add all the sounds I want there. Now, anytime I open the sound panel, at the bottom I will see 2 extra options, "Homer" and "Futurama", which only show the sounds I designated.

Well that's all I have for now, though I think they are very good features to add, and I don't think they are very complicated (though I don't know much about that). They would be good additions to the already amazing program you guys have provided. Thanks for listening (or rather, reading :)).
10-25-2005 08:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
aC23

– / Male / –
RE: A few suggestions...
Hmm interesting little improvements. Feature #3 is already possible, unless you're referring to the Status Presets, where 'Online' isn't one of the chocies. You can leave your status on Online though but have a personalised status with it.
10-27-2005 04:37 AM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
yer pretty good suggestions well patchou might include some of your ideas in the next release of msgplus i think thats in november or somthing :)
10-27-2005 06:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
cool ideas! like them hope they do come out on the next issuse- is that rly coming out in november? klaaasss!!! :)
"You don't sleep, you defragment!"
10-27-2005 07:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
hs398

O.P. RE: A few suggestions...
thanks! again, my gratitude to the creators for such a great program! Just doing my best to help, that is the duty of a user!
10-27-2005 06:25 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Wink  RE: A few suggestions...
quote:
Originally posted by hs398
1. With contacts placed on the desktop, It could have a white (or otherwise designated) color background, and when they sign on it could have another color.  Also the other options could be changed if someone signs on.
Suggestion is nice, but also a bit useless since the buddy emoticon already indicates the different statusses of your contacts...

quote:
2. In preferences> Notifications> Sounds, it displays the people on your list and you can change their sound. But you can only use sound files. It would be a good idea to support sounds from the sound library.
I don't agree. Simply because this will cause serious bandwidth problems. Not only for the Plus! servers, but also for you since you constantly need to check/connect to the Plus! sound servers.

If you want to use a custom sound, simply download the sound so it is in your local sound library. Then copy the .dat file from your custom sound directory on your computer to a place where you store your sounds used for these custom sound notifications and rename the file to .mp3...

quote:
3. With the personalized status option, you are forced to choose busy, away, etc. It would be nice if you could also set a status while remaining "Online", that way you can show you're available while still showing a status.
Example: I'm online, and I want to play poker. I want to set my status, but poker doesnt require my full attention, so I don't want to be marked as Busy. I remain in online mode but with the personalized status showing others that I am playing poker.
This has been requested already lately and there is a dedicated thread about this.

The main argument I see against this is that if you want to customize your status like you said, it doesn't make any sense to set your msn messenger status to "online". If you wanna play poker your are _not_ completely available aka "online", you are in fact "away", "busy", or whatever...

see "*Suggestion*"...

quote:
4. In Preferences> General Options > Misc, there is an option to automatically change the status after a period of inactivity. I think you should have the option to mark "Do not change if I am already in a Personalized Status".
Example: My status is "Watching A DVD Movie". My status will automaticaly change to "Asleep/AFK" after only 30 minutes. So while I'm watching, people will think I am not there, when in reality I'm just watching a movie, and I haven't moved the mouse for more than 30 minutes. But if I check the box, then it will not change my personal status.
There is an advanced registry option so the auto-away/idle will only kick in when you're status is "online". See the official help pages, specifically http://www.msgplus.net/help_registry.php and the AutoAwayAlways setting...

quote:
5. In the Sounds panel, there should be customizable sections where you can make a list of your favorite sounds, or group some together.
Already requested and on Patchou's list of ideas. But it is however not so simple to add custom categories. When Patchou has found a solid solution, he might do it...

This said, this goes for "categories" as they currently exist, aka: a sound can only be in 1 given category at the time.

If you meant adding sounds in multiple categories as in the normal main category _and_ also in a custom category, then this is a new suggestion. Nevertheless, such a thing (and thus an addition to normal custom categories) must be well thought of to make it solid.

But I'm sure one day, in a futur Plus! version, this will be included in one way or the other...

quote:
Just doing my best to help, that is the duty of a user!
indeed (Y) ;)

This post was edited on 10-27-2005 at 11:35 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-27-2005 11:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
*Nena*

43 / Female / –
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can be online an have a personalized status by adding it manually next to your nickname between {}, example:
your nickname {playing pocker}
It will be shown next to your name as usual between ().

Sorry I didn't notice this was an old post, but I think that what I wrote is useful anyway because now there are only two options: away or busy.

This post was edited on 07-09-2006 at 02:01 AM by *Nena*.
07-09-2006 01:50 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: