What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » a legal question.

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
a legal question.
Author: Message:
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: a legal question.
how do i stop ym ip from being seen?
10-30-2005 10:58 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ash_

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: a legal question.
quote:
Originally posted by joelm
how do i stop ym ip from being seen?

it's not gonna happen. and don't be so worried, 99% of people who get your ip address won't know half of the stuff they can do with it.

there is IP spoofing but it is way to hard to do, and if your asking questions like thiss i very much doubt you'll understand it.

sorry.
[Image: jeansiger5.jpg]
10-30-2005 11:01 AM
Mentality

The Best Representation OF me IS ME!

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
get a good anti-virus (Nortan or Zonealarm), use a router instead of modem?

They don't hide your IP, its a completly different software that does that, the software you have to pay and basically, it bounces you around loads of different servers making it hard to track your IP, it doesnt totally hide it. at least that was a variation of one that i was looking into recently.

[UPDATE]
sorry Ash mis-corrected you there.......:P

This post was edited on 10-30-2005 at 11:03 AM by Mentality.
10-30-2005 11:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Ash_

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: a legal question.
quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
ts a completly different software that does that, the software you have to pay and basically, it bounces you around loads of different servers making it hard to track your IP, it doesnt totally hide it. at least that was

proxies?

they take way to long, and im willing to take the risk of someone hacking me (which is really hard to do anyway) and have my websites load 10x faster. :P

[Image: jeansiger5.jpg]
10-30-2005 11:04 AM
Mentality

The Best Representation OF me IS ME!

38 / Male / Flag
Ive done ok without it so far, not had a virus in 2 years, nor trojan nor, adware. nothing out of the ordinary, so im happy without people worry to much.

I use Norton Internet security 2005, Ad-Aware SE, and just incase for back-up coz i found it really useful, Moosofts, The Cleaner, which I only ever used once, (on someone elses computer)
10-30-2005 11:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
You can't find out what IPs are connected to your computer is a Myth: You can easily find out any IP address connected to your computer unless they are spoofed. Also, it has nothing to do with laws. Sadly, communication goes through the MSN Messenger server, so the IP is not directly connected to you.

If someone finds your IP, they can instantly track down all your information is a Myth: There is absolutly nothing anyone can do with your IP address execpt three things: 1) Scan for open ports on you and attempt to hack you, 2) Packet you and cause you to disconnect from the internet, and 3) Submit it to your ISP with the time you used it and a warrent to get information about you.

If someone finds your IP, you're screwed because it never changes is a Myth: Any standard Internet Service Provider will charge you extra for an IP Address that never changes. You most likely have a 'Dynamic IP Address' which means it changes every time you restart your modem (or whatever other device connects you to the internet)

Edit:

People can send viruses to my computer when they have my IP Address is a BIG FAT MYTH: There is no way you can get a virus through someone getting your IP address, unless they manage to hack you (which is unlikely.) As long as you have a decent firewall like Windows Firewall, you will be fine. [i]You can, however, get viruses from websites you visit (If in Internet Explorer,) files you share, and programs you download.

This post was edited on 10-30-2005 at 01:38 PM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
10-30-2005 01:36 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Val

30 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
You can't find out what IPs are connected to your computer is a Myth: You can easily find out any IP address connected to your computer unless they are spoofed. Also, it has nothing to do with laws. Sadly, communication goes through the MSN Messenger server, so the IP is not directly connected to you.

If someone finds your IP, they can instantly track down all your information is a Myth: There is absolutly nothing anyone can do with your IP address execpt three things: 1) Scan for open ports on you and attempt to hack you, 2) Packet you and cause you to disconnect from the internet, and 3) Submit it to your ISP with the time you used it and a warrent to get information about you.

If someone finds your IP, you're screwed because it never changes is a Myth: Any standard Internet Service Provider will charge you extra for an IP Address that never changes. You most likely have a 'Dynamic IP Address' which means it changes every time you restart your modem (or whatever other device connects you to the internet)

Edit:

People can send viruses to my computer when they have my IP Address is a BIG FAT MYTH: There is no way you can get a virus through someone getting your IP address, unless they manage to hack you (which is unlikely.) As long as you have a decent firewall like Windows Firewall, you will be fine. [i]You can, however, get viruses from websites you visit (If in Internet Explorer,) files you share, and programs you download.
Yes i argee with the whole thing, wow someone has your IP not much is ganna happen, ever vist a website yes? then the person who runs the server can see your IP just liek this forum see in the right bottom hand side of every post: "IP Address: Logged"
what dose that tell you, the admins know your IP bu dont be scared they pretty much cant do anything to you, and why would they waste there time?
Menthix:
Anonymous doesn\'t have a leader.
Anonymous is the leader of ShawnZ.

Max:
True. But deep down, we all know.
ShawnZ is incharge.
he is /b/ in human form.
10-30-2005 01:45 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: a legal question.
quote:
well; people can hack each other and find out where you live with your ip is there anyway i can block my ip from being seen?

Despite what people say, this isn't quite the case. You need some background information before you can just say that statement is true.

People can only hack your computer if;
1. Your computer is infected with software that has been designed to allow others to communicate with your computer in an unauthorised way. Such as the program will allow someone to access your files, and take control of your PC, or to use your bandwidth for his own purposed (such as spamming). However if they have infected you, chances are very high that, they will have a way to get your IP address anyway.

2. Your computer has software (or it's OS) that has flaws in that allows people to take advantage of your computer. However the odds of this are fairly low.

Other attacks could include a DDOS attack, but people don't do them to normal average people (and even if they do, they won't really do any damage just really slow up your internet).

Conclusion
Having someone's IP address isn't really a big deal, if you're sensible of what you download, use an anti-virus, firewall and a tad of common sense and know-how, you'll be fine with your contacts having your IP address!
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
10-30-2005 01:48 PM
brian

– / Male / –
quote:
well; people can hack each other and find out where you live with your ip is there anyway i can block my ip from being seen?

First, if you hack each other, then it's your fault for not updating your system, and anyhow almost no-one can hack you withen seconds, or that he'll send you a virus, It's like having someone's phone number.. IP address are like phone numbers. They can't find out where you live, maybe they'll go search ARIN's IP database, but that'll only tell them where the IP is registered to, example my IP address is registered in "Sympatico", my ISP's name.

And no, you can't block it, because you have to tell the server your IP address so it can send back the response.  Only way is probably to use a proxy server.
10-30-2005 06:25 PM
emit
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

An amendment to this. shawnz, imagine rxbot scans an IP and finds the lsass port open and remotely executes the code to infect the box with the drone... thats kind of "someone sending a virus to your computer when they have your IP" - it's rare, but possible.

As for the initial point about it being illegal... I don't think it is strictly against the law to know someone's IP - afterall you could GUESS it. I do think that if someone wants to connect via an MSN server for their conversations then tricking them into a file transfer and finding their IP via netstat is slightly invasive; although such a thing would probably not hold up in court.
10-30-2005 07:00 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: