What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » 7.* to 6.2

7.* to 6.2
Author: Message:
user_lolo

O.P. 7.* to 6.2
I have MSN Messenger 7 and would like to switch back to MSN Messenger 6.2, but after installing, when I run 6.2, it tells me there is a new version of MSN Messenger and gives me no choice but to install it. Does anyone know a way around this so I can keep version 6.2?
01-04-2006 11:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: 7.* to 6.2
why did you go to 6.2? 7.x releases have more better security  than 6.x releases do, thats why your made to upgrade

This post was edited on 01-04-2006 at 11:57 PM by Hank.
01-04-2006 11:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user_lolo

O.P. RE: 7.* to 6.2
Everybody tells me to use 6.2, and that there is too many problems with 7.x (which there is.).

:( So you don't know how to keep 6.2? It seems like not everyone gets forced to use 7.x, or those people on my list using 6.2 wouldn't be using 6.2..

This post was edited on 01-05-2006 at 12:03 AM by user_lolo.
01-05-2006 12:02 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: 7.* to 6.2
quote:
Originally posted by Animal
why did you go to 6.2? 7.x releases have more better security  than 6.x releases do, thats why your made to upgrade

define 'better security'... Appart from automatically blocking many (common) file types from sending/recieving in 7.x, there isn't much difference.

It is not because 6 is a lower major version that it is bad or less secure. MSN Messenger comes in different blends, indicated by their major version number. They all have there distinguished features and all have their own 'latest' versions.

(in fact because 6 doesn't have the ability to use dynamic DP's, winks, etc, it is in fact less prone to security holes for these relative insecure features, IMO)

;)

quote:
Originally posted by user_lolo
I have MSN Messenger 7 and would like to switch back to MSN Messenger 6.2, but after installing, when I run 6.2, it tells me there is a new version of MSN Messenger and gives me no choice but to install it. Does anyone know a way around this so I can keep version 6.2?

First, make sure you have uninstall MSN Messenger 7 in the correct way. That is by going to add/remove programs in your windows control panel and uninstalling MSN Messenger from there.

Then, make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest 6.2.0208 version, and not an earlier build (like 6.2.0205)

If you get a notification that a newer version exists, it means there is a newer version (build) for 6.2...

Latest 6.2 build is 6.2.0208, it can be found and downloaded here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...-9f05-1ff3c799bb10
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-05-2006 12:07 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user_lolo

O.P. RE: 7.* to 6.2
Thanks, CookieRevised! It worked. Easier than I thought it was.
01-05-2006 12:53 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: