What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » // comments

// comments
Author: Message:
chrisbloe

37 / – / –
O.P. Wink  // comments
I'm sure most people would find this completely unnecessary, but I'd like to have a command so that certain things in a message can only be read by myself.

For example:

Hello //<Unread message/personal note>

The point of this is for the XHTML saved messages, so that it's easier to see the context of certain things said.

What do people think?

This post was edited on 03-06-2006 at 02:49 PM by chrisbloe.
03-06-2006 02:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: // comments
You mean it should be only shown in the xhtml logs ?? Also do you want it to show wether you read the message or not (that could be dodgy) or just any message that you want ??

I could use it i guess but since i change my status as per the need, the xhtml tags just need to show my status to put it in context :)

I said the read message could be dodgy cause you could have browsed past it without reading it, how is plus supposed to know wether you read it ? You cant be expected to tick every message you have read :P Its not worth the trouble :P for me atleast.

I hope i didnt misunderstand anything you said .... this is how i interpretted it :) If i have please correct me chrisbloe ;)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
03-06-2006 02:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
chrisbloe

37 / – / –
O.P. RE: // comments
I mean it should be used in the same way it is in programming, the XHTML histories see the entire 'source code', including he comments I've made, whilst the person I'm writing the message to has the comments filtered out so they can't see them. I, however, should be able to see the comments in the conversation window...

Hope that's more understandable

Kris
03-08-2006 01:58 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
The analogy with program comments is a good explanation. For example, a compiler sees 'int x = 3*y; // init x' as 'int x = 3*y;'. So what's wanted is for the chat log to show 'rofl // just humouring', but the contact to see 'rofl'.

I'm not too sure about the demand for such a feature, plus it'll need to access the protocol directly to be implemented properly. So it'll need to be a plugin.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
03-08-2006 03:38 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
would still show up to contacts without plus though...
03-08-2006 03:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
No it wouldn't: if it alters the MSG packets directly, it'll be entirely one-sided. Contacts without Plus! don't see what isn't sent, after all ;)

Basically:
Message -> Plus! commands -> Packet sniffer -> Server -> Contact.
The packet sniffer will remove the comment before forwarding the MSG packet (suitably altered) to the server.
03-08-2006 03:43 PM
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
No it wouldn't: if it alters the MSG packets directly, it'll be entirely one-sided. Contacts without Plus! don't see what isn't sent, after all ;)

Basically:
The packet sniffer will remove the comment before forwarding the MSG packet (suitably altered) to the server.

oh right i thought you meant filtering out after they were sent, i get it now, yeh its not a bad idea :P
03-08-2006 03:45 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: // comments
I think (calculated guess) that you all misunderstood chrisbloe ;)

quote:
The analogy with program comments is a good explanation. For example, a compiler sees 'int x = 3*y; // init x' as 'int x = 3*y;'. So what's wanted is for the chat log to show 'rofl // just humouring', but the contact to see 'rofl'.
correct

quote:
I'm not too sure about the demand for such a feature
I would certainly use it

quote:
plus it'll need to access the protocol directly to be implemented properly. So it'll need to be a plugin.

(...)

.... if it alters the MSG packets directly, it'll be entirely one-sided. Contacts without Plus! don't see what isn't sent, after all ;)

Basically:
I don't see what the protocol, packets sending, sniffing or anything like that has to do with it though...

Nothing is seen by your contacts, and the feature doesn't depend on what your contact has or hasn't (Plus! for example); it is totally locally.

chrisbloe basicly asked for a so called "echo" command. Echoing is outputting text without sending it thru the normal means of output (if that makes any sense :)). Aka: a "set this text as some log comment" command.

eg: mIRC has this command too: "/echo". You can use that to add comments (or whatever you want) to the log file, for a quick search/lookup later. Nothing is send to the contact, the only thing that is done is writing a line to the log file.

I would find such a command very usefull indeed!
in fact, this was one of the first things I programmed in mIRC so I could quickly add some comments to the logs after something has been said. Extremely usefull to look things up and to use as reference pionts in big otherwise chaotic logs

And I hope something like this is added to the new version of Plus! (or a way in the new Plugin API to tell Plus! to save its current cached chat log lines to the log file so you can append a line yourself in the correct positions... see PS below)

PS: this can't be done/programmed as of now in a plugin or whatever because Plus! doesn't save log files each time you type something. Chat lines in log files (in Plus! at least) are only written after certain time intervals (and when you close the convo of course), not after each line of text you send to your contact.

This post was edited on 03-09-2006 at 01:39 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-09-2006 01:28 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
I mentioned the protocol, as currently the way chrisbloe described it would mean that a plugin is necessary, and packet sniffing would be a suitable method. However, if the command can be incorporated directly into Plus!, then obviously it'll have the advantage of not needing to deal with the protocol at all.
03-09-2006 02:03 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
I mentioned the protocol, as currently the way chrisbloe described it would mean that a plugin is necessary, and packet sniffing would be a suitable method. However, if the command can be incorporated directly into Plus!, then obviously it'll have the advantage of not needing to deal with the protocol at all.
not true though...

packet sniffing isn't needed at all. Neither with a plugin as plugins can have there own command... eg: /xecho

The only thing needed and thus the only "problem" to be solved, in whatever way you do it (plugin, internally in Plus!, addon, whatever), is a way to let Plus! purges all his cache to the log file, nothing else is needed, no packet sniffing or protocol or anything.

;)

This post was edited on 03-09-2006 at 05:37 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-09-2006 05:34 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: