What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » 2 Questions about Windows Live Messenger

2 Questions about Windows Live Messenger
Author: Message:
kevintheman

39 / Male / –
O.P. 2 Questions about Windows Live Messenger
I have 2 questions about Windows Live Messenger. I haven't played around with the latest beta of WLM yet due to the current version of Plus not working with it.

1. My first question is about the voice call feature in Windows Live Messenger. How is it handled? Does it still use IP2IP (direct connect) like it does in MSN 7.5 and earlier? Or does it do it like Yahoo/Skype does (where it actually "calls" the computer instead of direct connect)?

2. My second question is about group convos. Does it still add you into group convos without asking you first? Or does it finally ask you wether you want to join a group convo or not before it adds you into one?
05-17-2006 12:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: 2 Questions about Windows Live Messenger
1) I'm pretty sure that Windows Live Messenger now uses the Yahoo/Skype method of "calling" the other person computer now rather than just connecting to the other persons computer for a voice chat. Hence the reason it has now been changed to "Phone Call".

2) I think that you still get added in straight away without having a choice unfortunately.
05-17-2006 12:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
2) I think that you still get added in straight away without having a choice unfortunately.
I suggested this on the newsgroups just the other day and I got the response that many people want this. However, the developer team said it was "By-Design" and that they were not going to add it yet. I have no idea why this is considered "By-Design" thought because it has nothing to do with design, but with stability (in a way. since when youre added to many huge convos messenger can crash) and privacy. When you get added your email is imidiately shared with all the people in that conversation, without permisson.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
05-17-2006 12:43 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
kevintheman

39 / Male / –
O.P. RE: 2 Questions about Windows Live Messenger
quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
quote:
I suggested this on the newsgroups just the other day and I got the response that many people want this. However, the developer team said it was "By-Design" and that they were not going to add it yet. I have no idea why this is considered "By-Design" thought because it has nothing to do with design, but with stability (in a way. since when youre added to many huge convos messenger can crash) and privacy. When you get added your email is imidiately shared with all the people in that conversation, without permisson.
Exactly! Plus it gets very annoying when someone keeps adding you into a group conversation over and over again when you leave, plus it doesn't tell you who added you in to begin with.

I know that a person by the name of psyko made a thing called Multi-User Convo Verify that runs in the background and makes a toaster prompting you what to do when someone invites you into a group conversation, but I don't think it works with Windows Live Messenger.

quote:
1) I'm pretty sure that Windows Live Messenger now uses the Yahoo/Skype method of "calling" the other person computer now rather than just connecting to the other persons computer for a voice chat. Hence the reason it has now been changed to "Phone Call".

Ah good. Personally I found the direct connect method to be totally unreliable. Especially when one was behind a firewall or NAT.

This post was edited on 05-17-2006 at 01:24 AM by kevintheman.
05-17-2006 01:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by kevintheman
Exactly! Plus it gets very annoying when someone keeps adding you into a group conversation over and over again when you leave, plus it doesn't tell you who added you in to begin with.

I know that a person by the name of psyko made a thing called Multi-User Convo Verify that runs in the background and makes a toaster prompting you what to do when someone invites you into a group conversation, but I don't think it works with Windows Live Messenger.
Never heard of that... would've been good to have before I switched to WLM... hopefully somebody makes something like that for WLM because it's probably in fairly high demand.
05-17-2006 02:09 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Yeah i would deffinately use it...... its so anoyin when you get re-added into huge conversations.... especially when you have better stuff to do

Really the messenger team should put this feature into Windows Live Messenger as it is a security/privacy risk...not good!
[Image: jumbled.png]
05-17-2006 03:28 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: