What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Timezone Script

Timezone Script
Author: Message:
sjholt

O.P. Timezone Script
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to create a script that appends a contacts timezone or the actual time in their location to the end of their name in the contact list. If this is not possible then I'd like to create a script to work out the time in a contacts location and display this as a message/popup. Does anyone know if it is possible to get the information about time/timezone from a contacts details ?

PS - fantastic work by the way Patchou - awesome application as usual (Y)
06-25-2006 10:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Timezone Script
quote:
Originally posted by sjholt
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to create a script that appends a contacts timezone or the actual time in their location to the end of their name in the contact list. If this is not possible then I'd like to create a script to work out the time in a contacts location and display this as a message/popup. Does anyone know if it is possible to get the information about time/timezone from a contacts details ?

PS - fantastic work by the way Patchou - awesome application as usual (Y)

I thought about such a feature/script too however:

** append a contacts timezone or the actual time in their location to the end of their name in the contact list.
=> This is not possible as you can not modify such things. The best you could do is to create a nickname for the user and constantly update it. But this is a very lame-ass and bad way of doing it if you attempt to do this with a script.

As for a built in feature in Plus!Live, it is possible, but I also doubt something like this will be added.

** I'd like to create a script to work out the time in a contacts location
=> It is not possible to determine in which timezone a contact is without explicitly asking this.

You could, in theory, determine the timezone by looking at the IP-address of your contact, but that is not always accurate (although in almost all cases it will be accurate enough). But this also requires a good way to grab the IP-address and that is not easly and in a clean way doable.

** ...and display this as a message/popup.
=> When are you going to show this popup? Are you constantly going to show a popup window or constantly messaging a text? That would be highly annoying... Or will it be a dialog window which is constantly on top? And how would you determine from which contact you would like to see the timezone of?

-------------

Many questions and many things to consider... If such a feature is included or such a script is made, it would usefull to some people (hell, I would use it too). But there is no easy/clean way to make something like this automated...

-------------

Also see:
"Attaching timezone attributes to my chat list - A Suggestion"

Always search forums for same or related topics before asking a question

This post was edited on 06-27-2006 at 12:12 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-25-2006 12:08 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: