What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » [split] immigrant video related discussion

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
[split] immigrant video related discussion
Author: Message:
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
RE: immigrant video
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
TV is getting more violent, video games are getting more violent, music is promoting violence.

I liked your post except that part.. :dodgy: i can explain why, later, now i dont feel like explaining that whole thing and i dont think it will contribute to the thread, even if it is in t&t :P
07-06-2006 05:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: immigrant video
I agree with paperless, everything can't be blamed on games, music and television. It's the people who listen to these, they have something wrong with their minds that make them act out the actions. If somebody plays a game like Manhunt and thinks, hey it would be pretty cool to slit somebodies throat with a shard of glass and film it, then there is something wrong with them. It's the same with people who listen to music about guns and watch films about violence, any sane person doesn't sit down and think to themselves, hey I could shoot somebody.
07-06-2006 05:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: immigrant video
Young children learn things by copying other people, you only have to spend the day with a baby who has just learnt to talk to realise that.

If, from a young age people people are exposed to violence on the TV, it will have an effect on them. Of course they are not going to think "i'm going to get a chainsaw and chop people up because i saw it on GTA", but the idea that all this violence is normal will be instilled in their mind, and later on in life it could manifest itself into other forms of violence.

There was an experiment a while ago, where babies at a young age spent a lot of their play time in a play area sponsored by a cigarettes company, their logo was on all the toys, and on the walls and stuff. In a follow up some years later, out of all the people who started smoking, they all chose that cigarette brand as their preferred brand of cigarettes.
The reason I said this story is because it shows that things that happen in a childs early life have an effect on their choices later on in life.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
07-06-2006 05:27 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [split] immigrant video related discussion
You both have good arguements. Our mind relies on both gentics and enviromental factors. It needs to be tauch from a young age why rasicm is wrong, and people think driving illegal imagrants out will help promote racial harmony, it is making the situation worse. Imagine how you would feel and what you would do in their shoes.
07-06-2006 05:42 PM
Adeptus

RE: [split] immigrant video related discussion
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
It needs to be tauch from a young age why rasicm is wrong, and people think driving illegal imagrants out will help promote racial harmony...

The objection to illegal immigrants has nothing to do with racism -- it's lack of documentation and lack of control.

I am sure you realize having a large population that essentially exists underground is not a Good Thing.  Among other issues, it promotes crime, both through shielding the criminals within it and providing victims that are not likely to seek help from the authorities. 

The second problem is the economic impact of large numbers of people fleeing to more prosperous countries (the motive 99% of the time), which is ultimately negative for the countries on both ends of such a relationship.  That is why there are quotas and restrictions on legal immigration.  The long term solution people need is viable economy in their home country.
07-06-2006 06:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: