What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Messenger Lock Shortcut Problem

Messenger Lock Shortcut Problem
Author: Message:
Bardh

O.P. Messenger Lock Shortcut Problem
Hi there,

Using:
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600)
Windows Live Messenger 8.00.0787
Messenger Plus! Live 4.01.0.240

Description:

Ok, when I use the shortcut that I have set to lock WLM (Ctrl+Space), it locks WLM properly. But when I lock WLM manually by going to Plus! menu and then choosing Lock Messenger, I can not re-open it (unlock) with the shortcut that I have set (Ctrl+Shift+Space). I am forced to double click the icon (changed icon) at the tray to open the password window. So basically, whenever I use shortcuts to lock, I can also unlock using them. But if I lock manually (I often do this because Ctrl+Space hides my online contacts), I am not able to unlock using shortcuts. They're supposed to work regardless of the method I used to lock WLM right?

Sometimes the lock shortcut doesn't work at all. I don't know if shortcuts are supposed to work even if WLM window is minimized or closed, but even with the WLM window opened, I still sometimes have problems with them. Maybe it's about the focus set on controls. I think that the coding of shortcuts should be triggered from any window (if possible) and not only from Plus! hook as the focus is not on that window and maybe that leads to all this.

Regards,
Bardh
08-11-2006 10:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Lock Shortcut Problem
quote:
Originally posted by Bardh
But when I lock WLM manually by going to Plus! menu and then choosing Lock Messenger, I can not re-open it (unlock) with the shortcut that I have set (Ctrl+Shift+Space).
Can't confirm: works for me.
quote:
Sometimes the lock shortcut doesn't work at all.
This may be due to a conflict with another application using the same shortcut. I know Visual Studio's IntelliSense uses Ctrl+Space and Ctrl+Shift+Space.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
08-11-2006 11:54 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Bardh

O.P. RE: Messenger Lock Shortcut Problem
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
But when I lock WLM manually by going to Plus! menu and then choosing Lock Messenger, I can not re-open it (unlock) with the shortcut that I have set (Ctrl+Shift+Space).
Can't confirm: works for me.
quote:
Sometimes the lock shortcut doesn't work at all.
This may be due to a conflict with another application using the same shortcut. I know Visual Studio's IntelliSense uses Ctrl+Space and Ctrl+Shift+Space.

I have Visual C++ and Visual Basic installed but shouldn't those shortcuts only react if any of these applications is opened?
08-11-2006 01:34 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
I have Visual C++ and Visual Basic installed but shouldn't those shortcuts only react if any of these applications is opened?
Quite right, but they do still both use those shortcuts. I use Ctrl+Alt+Shift+L to lock, and Ctrl+Alt+Shift+U to unlock, so I don't get interference.
08-11-2006 03:29 PM
Bardh

O.P. RE: Messenger Lock Shortcut Problem
Ok so I changed the shortcuts (Lock: Ctrl+Shift+Caps Lock; Unlock: Ctrl+Shift+G) and everything seems to work fine. Maybe a feature to tell if a shortcut is already taken would be handy? ;)

Thanks RaceProUK,
Bardh
08-11-2006 03:46 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
It depends on whether the shortcut is global or not. Global shortcuts can be checked. However, shortcuts like Intellisense uses are program-specific, and can't be checked outside the program.
08-12-2006 12:31 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: