What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Internet Setup

Internet Setup
Author: Message:
*Saint*

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Internet Setup
Ok so here is my problem...

The internet went down... now its back on this one computer but we want it on all computer like before. No I don't know how everythign got messed up/unplugged but anyway.

[Image: untitled1kl2.th.jpg]

In the picture we have 2 "LAN or Hi-Speed Internet" Before we only had one. (The one on the left) That is also how we want it now if we could do that...
The wires are plugged in as....

Telephone line to modem>>modem to router>>router to computers.

I'm not really sure what to say so if you need more information just ask...

Thank you

[Image: untitled3bl9.th.jpg]

This post was edited on 10-17-2006 at 12:52 AM by *Saint*.
10-17-2006 12:38 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Internet Setup
What the image is saying is that you dont have an connectivity for your actual network card but there is a USB to LAN adapter plugged in.
10-17-2006 12:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
*Saint*

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Internet Setup
Ok, how can I change that please?

One computer has internet.. this one

This post was edited on 10-17-2006 at 01:01 AM by *Saint*.
10-17-2006 12:59 AM
Adeptus

RE: Internet Setup
Hi,
quote:
Originally posted by *Saint*
If it was connected as you describe there, it would probably work -- although you don't really need the router (more about it later).

What your first screenshot indicates is that you have connected the Siemens SpeedStream DSL modem directly to the computer, using a USB cable.  This type of modem has both interfaces -- USB and ethernet -- but you can only use one at a time.  If you want to use it with a router, the first step would be to disconnect the USB cable.

Also, this type of modem functions as a router itself in its default configuration.  This is confirmed by your second screenshot.  While you could hook up another router to it and that should work for most purposes, a simple ethernet switch would be more appropriate.

If you use a router in this kind of setup, the router's WAN interface should be set to use DHCP.  This choice may also be named "acquire IP address automatically" or something like that.  I recommend that you obtain and use a plain switch instead of a router, because the double NAT that occurs in such a setup is a nightmare for both UPnP and manual port forwarding (in simple words, while the Internet generally will work, some features will not).
10-17-2006 04:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
*Saint*

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Internet Setup
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Hi,
quote:
Originally posted by *Saint*
If it was connected as you describe there, it would probably work -- although you don't really need the router (more about it later).

What your first screenshot indicates is that you have connected the Siemens SpeedStream DSL modem directly to the computer, using a USB cable.  This type of modem has both interfaces -- USB and ethernet -- but you can only use one at a time.  If you want to use it with a router, the first step would be to disconnect the USB cable.

Also, this type of modem functions as a router itself in its default configuration.  This is confirmed by your second screenshot.  While you could hook up another router to it and that should work for most purposes, a simple ethernet switch would be more appropriate.

If you use a router in this kind of setup, the router's WAN interface should be set to use DHCP.  This choice may also be named "acquire IP address automatically" or something like that.  I recommend that you obtain and use a plain switch instead of a router, because the double NAT that occurs in such a setup is a nightmare for both UPnP and manual port forwarding (in simple words, while the Internet generally will work, some features will not).

My "router" looks like the "ethernet switch"

How do I switch the mode of the modem... When I unplug the USB, I lose all internet to this computer. My mother thinks the router/switch is broken.

Thank you so much though already.
10-19-2006 11:58 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: