What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Addon Suggestion

Poll: Should this addon be implemented?
This addon is useful, definitely a good addon.
This addon is useful, not entirely required though.
This addon isn't that useful, don't waste the resources.
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Addon Suggestion
Author: Message:
Cyreph

O.P. Addon Suggestion
I need the public's opinion here. If there is any other way around this, I would really love to know where to get this addon. Seems like MP!L has done enough for me already.

The situation is that I want more than one set of grouping for my contacts. For example, usually, I sort my contacts by where I first met this contact (University, Work, Family, Hobby shop, etc.). Lately, I found a need to introduce friends from a certain industry, to another person. As such, I would like to once in a while view my contacts sorted by the work they do (e.g. Retail, Finance, Education, etc.).

Of course, there is an easier solution and that is create all these groups, and place my contacts into more than one group, which is what I am doing so far. The issue is that, I have about 15 "where i met you" groups and at least 10 "industry" groups. Personally, that is a bit cluttering for my contacts page.

I wonder is there a possibility to either view one set of grouping but not the other. I'm new to Messenger scripting and the community as a whole, so if this request/query is repeated or seem inane, I apologise in advance.
12-06-2006 02:41 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Addon Suggestion
This feature would have to be part of Messenger itself for it's sheer complexity (and the fact that you would want to reproduce what the contact list looks like when you use a different computer).  Unfortunately though I doubt this feature would be added to quickly as the likes of subgroups have been asked for for a long time now and it seems like a far easier feature to implement so I can't see what you are asking for will be implemented too early.  I think this would be a great feature to have but it's just hard to get someone to do it.

Also another way of looking up people in the contact list can be by using the edit details part of each contact and adding in some notes or other details and using the 'contact scroller' I think it is called (the search part next to the add contact button in the contact list).
[Image: markee.png]
12-06-2006 02:54 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Cyreph

O.P. RE: Addon Suggestion
Hmm, I see what you mean by the fact that an addon implementation will have trouble when on another computer.

Actually, an algorithm I think may work for the addon is using of tags like the status tags MP!L uses. For example, on an WLM without the addons, all the groups will appear like:
quote:
+ {Source} Family
+ {Source} University
+ {Source} Workplace
+ {Work} Education
+ {Work} Finance
+ {Work} Retail
The addon function allows the hiding of the tags and all groups other than those that have the tag you are looking for.

Yeah, I took a bit of computing in school. But I have no idea of how to use the platform for scripting or addon design. :$ Wonder whether there is a possibility for development from there.
12-06-2006 06:35 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: