What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Agnosticism?

Agnosticism?
Author: Message:
Fuse

Wax on..Wax off

32 / Male / –
O.P. Agnosticism?
ahem:

An agnostic is a person who believes that the existence of a greater power, such as a god, cannot be proven or disproved; therefore an agnostic wallows in the complexity of the existence of higher beings.

Agnostics on religion (Christianity, Islam, Buddhists, etc): Religious zealots are often viewed as ignorant by agnostics’ because of their blind following of a supreme being which may or may not exist. Agnostics will often question the existence of a supreme power because a lot of modern religious beliefs have no basis in modern logic; therefore blind following of popular religions is viewed as an easy out for people who chose not to think for themselves.

Agnostics on atheism: On the other end of the spectrum, unlike atheists, an agnostic uses a more scientific approach to their belief system. An agnostic knows that just because there is no physical proof of the existence of a higher being, it dose not automatically mean that one does not exist. An agnostic views an atheist on the same plane as a religious zealot; often because the belief that human beings are the pinnacle of intelligence and there are few things that we do not or have the potential to understand.

The realization of knowing that “we cannot know everything” is the backbone of the agnostic belief.

1) anyone here agnostic?
2) what do you think of the whole idea?
Two fish in a tank. One turns to the other and says "Do you know how to drive this thing?"
01-31-2007 08:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Miss Swiss

I Love my Friends MORE than ANYTHING

32 / Female / –
RE: Agnosticism?
I was raised as a Christian, but I'm not sure of what I beleive. It's probobly my age. I beleive in science. But I don't know really. It's all really confusing to me. I just want someone to tell me the answer. I'm not sure if I'm Agnostic though.

This post was edited on 01-31-2007 at 09:02 PM by Miss Swiss.
..::~<3~::..
[Image: i177676228_856_2.gif]
01-31-2007 09:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ayjay

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Fuse
Agnostics on atheism: On the other end of the spectrum, unlike atheists, an agnostic uses a more scientific approach to their belief system.

Erm, how? It's entirely the opposite :P

An agnostic is saying that there is no way at all in the realms of science of ever finding proof for or against god, so there's little point in using a scientific approach at all.

Atheists are saying that we have enough scientific knowledge (or are gaining/will gain it) to say that the existence of god is at the very least highly improbable. Seems a lot more scientific to me :P

EDIT: To answer the questions:
1) No, atheist.
2) It's stupid. In my eyes, it's completely within the possibility of science to prove one way or the other. Then again, for example, despite the scientific proof that evolution is a fact, Creationists still seem to ignore the fact and come up with more ridiculous counter-arguments to stop the devastation of one of the central cores of Christian beliefs that evolution would bring to it... "that rock isn't millions of years old. it's thousands and was put there by the devil to trick you". When people become deluded enough, such a mere thing as science is no obstacle :P

This post was edited on 02-01-2007 at 07:42 PM by ayjay.
01-31-2007 09:16 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
I'm an atheist. :P

However my family is Christians. :\
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
01-31-2007 09:19 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

who cares.....
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
02-01-2007 07:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: