What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » 4.1 speakers/headdies

4.1 speakers/headdies
Author: Message:
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. 4.1 speakers/headdies
OK, so I have 1x 2.1 speakers, 1x headphones, and 1x sound card.

I have the 2.1 speakers plugged into the front audio jack (the green one), and the headphones plugged into my keyboard, which in turn is connected to the rear speaker jack (whatever the colour is, it's a generic card. I think it might be black).

The rear speakers (my headdies) aren't working, even though my speaker setup is quadraphonic.

How do I get this working?

Diagram attached.

.bmp File Attachment: spkr.bmp (191.09 KB)
This file has been downloaded 124 time(s).
04-10-2007 10:27 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: 4.1 speakers/headdies
I just have a bunch of shotgun-style approaches. Here you are:

Is there anything playing on the rear channels at all? Maybe it's working, but only silence is being played. Try playing a surround track that you know well, or use a test pattern, and see if the rear channels are really missing.

A restart is normally required when switching from stereo to quadraphonic, if you haven't restarted your computer since configuring your audio device, do so.

Maybe your headphones or keyboard is broken, try plugging a pair of powered (to be sure) speakers into the keyboard, and directly to the computer. Also check if there is a volume control in the keyboard or headphones. You might also try your keyboard/heasphones plugged into the green socket to test it (since your green socket is working at the moment.

Also try the other socket on the computer if there is one, maybe it's just plugged into the wrong spot.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-10-2007 10:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: 4.1 speakers/headdies
1). I don't have a surround track OR a test pattern...

2). I will try that, thank you.

3). Headphones/keyboard is working, I used to have both keyboard and speakers on the green socket using a splitter (Aussies call it a double adapter :P). The volume control on the keyboard controls the main volume on the PC

4). The only other socket left is Line In (blue). I have a mike.
04-10-2007 10:31 PM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: 4.1 speakers/headdies
Then what is the point of supporting surround sound on this card?
04-11-2007 10:17 PM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
You can have the front and rear jack working at the same time. If you have a six-channel setup, you use three jacks.

Ryxpia, take a look at Rubber Stamp's 5.1 channel song thread and see if it helps.

Also, if you're playing stereo stuff, it's usually only plays from the front two speakers. There's another thread here about getting getting ITunes to play over all speakers, I'll look for it but I can't remember it exactly or who made it.

PS
quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
splitter (Aussies call it a double adaptor)
I have called it a splitter. I use double adaptors for mains power though (and power boards as well).

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-12-2007 12:05 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Here's that other thread. I reread it and found that it doesn't have a solution though.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

04-12-2007 10:52 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: