What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » How many Idle statuses does WL Messenger have?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
How many Idle statuses does WL Messenger have?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Translation of "Idle instead of Away" option of MsgPlus!
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
But I still wonder why he writes such replies to my posts.
Because you seem to misunderstand some things.. or at least not explaining things well...

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
But it says 'Instead of Away'
'instead of away' means showing something instead of the word "away", it doesn't mean instead of the status Away.
I think, it does mean instead of the status Away. I can't understand again how you could understand like that? (How many WLM user knows there are two different Away statuses?)
Then you thought wrong... Look, you can NOT change a status, but you can change what is shown to the user; how the status is called and/or shown to the user. That is the whole point of that feature. Again, you can NOT change a status. The status Away stays the status Away, the status Idle stays the status Idle.

What that option does and means is changing the WORD "away" to the correct wording: "idle". This does NOT change the status at all!

The "appropiate" means that not all the words "away" are going to be changed since not all words "away" actually represent the status Idle, some still represent the status Away.

quote:
These are known by me and I think, most of the users. So don't get angry, but you again gave unnecessary information. Please assume that everyone on this forum knows options very well. If they say something wrong, then give those informations only to them.
Not everybody on this forum knows options very well. That's the whole reason why they come to this forum in the first place. And second, on a forum people explain stuff to eachother, even long time residents explain stuff to other long time residents.

There is nothing unnecessary in any of my posts here. In fact if I reread the thread and see your other replies in the beginning of this thread I see we didn't even wrote enough to explain what the Idle status is or how it worked. Because you clearly didn't know as everybody can see in this thread. So don't be so "I know everything about the features and I don't need any clarification. My suggestions are always excellent and perfect." You asked what that "when appropiate" means and/or why it is there, I explained it.

quote:
But on my reply to MenthiX or Apatik, I wrote those sentences above.
Of which some things are not correct, which I replied upon.

quote:
My suggestion is clear:
Show contacts as Idle instead of Away when they're inactive
Yes, your suggestion is clear. I did not replied on that!!!!!!!

And if talking about unnecessary stuff: all you needed to write (in the proper subforum and not in a post here) was this single thing I quoted above, not all the other stuff/explainations around it as it did not clearified anything and some things were even wrong and it is on those wrong things I replied upon. If you did that you would have been surprised with my reply to it as the Dutch translation has almost exactly the same translation!

This post was edited on 05-16-2007 at 09:50 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-16-2007 09:24 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: RE: Translation of "Idle instead of Away" option of MsgPlus!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
I still wonder why he writes such replies to my posts.
Because you seem to misunderstand some things.. or at least not explaining things well...
I will open a poll now, and ask members that who is generally right in our discussions. I am really curious about what members think for us. You're free to vote, I'll vote fo myself :)
quote:
Then you thought wrong... Look, you can NOT change a status, but you can change what is shown to the user; how the status is called and/or shown to the user. Again, you can NOT change a status. The status Away stays the status Away, the status Idle stays the status Idle.
What does it mean to change contacts' status? This kind of thing can't be possible, as all of us know. For example, if Plus! was able to change contacts' statuses, think those contacts. When they come back to their computers, they would see something like "Your status is changed by CookieRevised". As you see, this would be very strange and stupid. So why do you think I am talking about changing the contacts' statuses. I am again repeating myself. It is not that much important whether it changes contacts' statuses or only changes the statuses shown.
quote:
What that option does and means is changing the WORD "away" to the correct wording "idle". This does NOT change the status at all!
So why are you interested in such WORD SCHEMES? Also why do people and me want to change our contacts' statuses? We have definitely more important and enjoyable things to do in WLM.
quote:
The "appropiate" means that not all WORDS "Away" are going to be changed since not all words "Away" actually represent the status Idle.
Right, appropriate means that but think how people, who see that option of Plus! first time on their lives, can understand its accurate meaning. So my translation can give an accurate meaning to clever users. But current translation can't give that much accurate meaning to neither clever nor stupid users, additionally, people can never be able to understand  when that feature will work by reading the option solely.
quote:
Not everybody on this forum knows options very well.
Please assume they know everything very well when you write your first posts on threads; if they state that they don't know something about features/options, then explain those features/options to them.
quote:
You asked what that "when appropiate" means and/or why it is there, I explained it.
Thanks for your effort to help, but I neither asked its meaning nor the reason why it is there. :D Also I'm sorry if readers of my post really think that I am asking its meaning.
quote:

My suggestion is clear: Lets change the text of option as

Show contacts as Idle instead of Away when they're inactive
05-16-2007 10:14 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: How many Idle statuses does WL Messenger have?
*sigh*

Cookie's right, stop arguing.

This post was edited on 05-16-2007 at 10:49 AM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
05-16-2007 10:17 AM
fvckth3w0rld

Wow. Sorry for bringing this thread back up, but I just had to make myself an account just to say...

ahmetgns, you speak so much bullshit its unbelievable. I couldn't even understand majority of the stuff you were saying. It was completely pointless, just like this reply.
02-02-2009 07:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: How many Idle statuses does WL Messenger have?
Yes, you are right. Maybe I shouldn't even have created this thread in the first place.
02-02-2009 11:37 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Claiken

Im sorry if this thread is older.

I have a question. If the other user has not enabled "show me as away after X minutes of inactivity"... will messenger plus still be able to read the user as idle? if someone puts 'away' manually, does it stay 'away' regardless of being idle or not?

im just wondering if im being ignored by someone or if theyre actually gone but havent enabled that setting on their end.
08-12-2009 03:08 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: How many Idle statuses does WL Messenger have?
quote:
Originally posted by Claiken
If the other user has not enabled "show me as away after X minutes of inactivity"... will messenger plus still be able to read the user as idle?
No, because "showing as away after x minutes" is that 'idle' status. So if the Messenger of your contact does not set that status then your Messenger (and thus Messenger Plus!) will not be able to see that status.

Note: there are also other ways to set your status to 'idle', for example by a script. But in either case, the other Messenger will be able to see this 'idle' status if Messenger Plus! is installed and if that option in Messenger Plus! is set.

quote:
if someone puts 'away' manually, does it stay 'away' regardless of being idle or not?
A status stays put as long as there isn't another status being set. It doesn't matter if the new status is set manually or automatically.

So, it stays 'away' as long as:
- the user doesn't manually change his/her status to something else,
- Messenger doesn't put him/her in 'idle' in case that option is enabled,
- Messenger doesn't put him/her in 'busy' when he/she is running a full screen application in case that option is enabled,
- the status isn't changed by some other 3rd party addon or script.

quote:
im just wondering if im being ignored by someone or if theyre actually gone but havent enabled that setting on their end.
Both cases are possible. The only thing you can do is to ask that person...

This post was edited on 08-12-2009 at 06:30 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-12-2009 06:28 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: