What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Messenger Frequently Abreviatures

2 votes - 1 average   Messenger Frequently Abreviatures
Author: Message:
warmth
Veteran Member

Electronic Engineer

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Messenger Frequently Abreviatures
I though that this can be usefull to get pinned for those people that doesn't come too frequently to forums and don't know the terms we use to talk about messenger...

MSNM = Microsoft Network Messenger (old messenger client)
WM= Windows Messenger (corporate-oriented messenger client)
WLM = Windows Live Messenger (messenger client)
MP! = Messenger Plus! Live (MSNM add-on)
MP!L = Messenger Plus! Live (WLM add-on)
SPNG = StuffPlug NG (MSNM add-on)
SP = StuffPlug (WLM add-on)
MD = Messenger Discovery (MSNM add-on)
MDL = Messenger Discovery Live (WLM add-on)
SHELL= MSNShell (WLM add-on)

DP = Display Picture
PSM = Personal Status Message

CLW = Contact List Window
Convo = IM = Conversation Window

Dashboard icons = icons beneath the DP in CLW (eg. Mail icon)
Format icons = icons between chat board and the imput textbox in the convo

Note: If you know more that I haven't remebered please PM me and I will add it...

This post was edited on 10-01-2008 at 11:39 PM by warmth.
@warmth - Beta Testing a life!
Official Nokia (former Ovi) Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011)
06-16-2007 06:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
KatieScarlett
Disabled Account

35 / – / Flag
RE: Messenger Frequently Abreviatures
CLW: Contact List Window
CC: Contact Card
WLS: Windows Live Spaces
WLMß: Windows Live Mail ßeta [The desktop Client]
WLH: Windows Live Hotmail
WL: Windows Live
WLOC: Windows Live OneCare
SF: Sharing Folder
MS/M$: Microsoft Corportation

Hope I was helpful. :P

EDIT: Thanks wamth for notifying me about the spelling-mistake. : )

This post was edited on 06-16-2007 at 06:36 PM by KatieScarlett.
06-16-2007 06:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by KatieScarlett
WLMß: Windows Live Mail ßeta [The desktop Client]
I have never seen such an abbreviation on this forum, I have seen it is always referred with WLMD.

PM=Private Message (useful for people who misuse PSM and PM)

And please add these abbreviations' meanings, because I don't know what they stand for? These are not Messenger abbreviations but...

iirc=?
imho=?
wtf=?
And a little more which I couldn't remember right now. Maybe you know all of them. I don't know but these abbreviations may not be understood by non-english speaking visitors, like me :(
06-16-2007 07:16 PM
warmth
Veteran Member

Electronic Engineer

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Messenger Frequently Abreviatures
quote:
And please add these abbreviations' meanings, because I don't know what they stand for? These are not Messenger abbreviations but...

iirc=?
imho=?
wtf=?
And a little more which I couldn't remember right now. Maybe you know all of them. I don't know but these abbreviations may not be understood by non-english speaking visitors, like me :(
IIRC = If I Recall/Remember Correctly
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
WTF = What The F***

This post was edited on 06-16-2007 at 07:21 PM by warmth.
Official Nokia (former Ovi) Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011)
06-16-2007 07:21 PM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
http://www.urbandictionary.com/
i find all my acronyms there
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
06-16-2007 07:52 PM
warmth
Veteran Member

Electronic Engineer

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Messenger Frequently Abreviatures
Nice dictionary... I didn't know its existence!
06-16-2007 09:22 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
At least get your abbrevations correct, the info given in this thread is very incorrect, and some things are even not used at all (just made up)...

examples:
MSN is not Microsoft Network Messenger (and please don't even encourage people to use 'MSN' as abbrevation for Messenger, that's equally wrong as to calling Plus!: 'MSN Plus')
I have never seen 'WM' being used, same with 'CC', 'CLW', 'SF', and even 'WLMD/B'.
'PSM' is not Personal status message.
'IM' is not a convo/conversation window.
etc...

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns

iirc=?
imho=?
wtf=?
wtf? imo this is off topic iirc and you know it (so why doing it?) ... and those abbrevations can very easly be found on the net if you just google it...
eg: one of the millions of lists: http://netforbeginners.about.com/cs/netiquette101/a/abbreviations.htm

-------

PS: Although using abbrevations is common, it is not always encouraged on forums. Posts on forums aren't limited by the amount of characters. And as you can see in this thread already, people will not always use the abbrevations correctly and this can lead to misconceptions and misunderstandings, _especially_ on support forums like these where details are important to be able to help someone.

If you want to use not so common abbrevations in your posts (like DP, CE, etc) then simply add a line on the bottom of your post to explain them, otherwise try to use the proper full names of things...

-------

PS: urbandictionary.com is far from accurate also...
Search google for 'internet jargon' or 'internet abbrevations', etc and you'll find tons of sites with lists... ;)

-------

Bottom line, this thread should not be stickyfied at all, sorry, but that's just mho though :p
Not to mention and iirc, there is already such a thread... somewhere...

This post was edited on 06-16-2007 at 11:34 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-16-2007 10:59 PM
warmth
Veteran Member

Electronic Engineer

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Messenger Frequently Abreviatures
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
MSN is not Microsoft Network Messenger (and please don't even encourage people to use 'MSN' as abbrevation for Messenger, that's equally wrong as to calling Plus!: 'Messenger Plus')

First of all... this was only and Idea... if you want to correct something just tell me and I will do it in the list...

I don't know why you talk in that way cookie... I never read you writting something like that :S...

I think that this kind of list can be very usefull if it's do it well... ahmetgns went out of the propose of this thread... that abbreaviations wasn't in my mind... just technical things very used... like the ones I said...

I already know that MSN is not refearing the messenger client... but LOTS of people reduce its name to just MSN... Is veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy used here in my country for example... and I know lots of countries that people ask "Do you have MSN???" when they are asking for the email address of the MS passport that use to conect to messenger... so I don't see your point of argue this... maybe you aren't agree with this cause you know a lot... but think in people that don't know those things at all... and comes to the forums to fix a problem or ask something... and they find an answer with "DP" expression and they don't know what that means...
06-17-2007 01:29 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I'm sorry if I was a bit crude :$

But lists which 'teach' the wrong thing only encourage people to use the 'wrong' abbrevations even more. Aka: you do the opposite to what you meant to do. Those who don't know 'MSN' doesn't stand for 'Messenger' (which are a lot of people as you know) will not be teached the proper thing and they would keep on thinking it is 'Messenger' because it is listed like that in lists like this.

As for not so common abbrevations (like 'DP'), as I said in the previous post, end your post with a small line explaining what the abbrevation means, easy as that...

A list of these would be nice. But there aren't that many Messenger related and thus a list isn't really needed I think (most are simply made up and only used by one or two individuals anyways). And those which are listed need to be correct (eg: 'IM' is not 'conversation window').

In general, I strongly believe that on forums as this, abbrevations should only be used when they can't be misinterpreted, with the right meaning and when it is very clear what people mean and that they understand it. Of course people are free to do what they want and use what they want, but it makes things harder instead of easier.

As far as support goes (and asking for support too!!!), the use of abbrevations like the ones listed can cause a lot of misconceptions, wrong assumptions, unclear information, etc. And thus shouldn't be encouraged. This is different for abbrevations like 'imho' etc though ,which are very common and only have 1 meaning.

For example, when I talk about different versions of Messenger in a post I would never use 'WLM', 'WM', etc (and certainly never 'MSN') but the full proper names.

Or when you're talking about Windows Live Mail and Windows Live Messenger in one thread, you should never use 'WLM' as 'WLM' is also sometimes used to indicate Windows Live Mail. etc...

So, the idea is nice (y)... but should be made carefully and correctly. And instead of helping people it can do the opposite and encourage people to use abbrevations, which is not good (at least not on support forums), imho.

Hoping this was explained a bit more friendly ;)

This post was edited on 06-17-2007 at 12:41 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-17-2007 12:21 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: