What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [Urgent] I/O operation failed

[Urgent] I/O operation failed
Author: Message:
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. [Urgent] I/O operation failed
I restarted my computer when I got home from work, just now, and when windows started, it gave me this error:

DETAIL - An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the registry.

My entire computer is acting weird, it appears that all of my settings for my programs are gone. Including my desktop icon's location, my program list (Start -> All Programs) are all out of place, and I apparently cannot put a background on my desktop.

What is going on? I've never seen this before :S.

Needless to say that A LOT of my programs are not loading, giving me errors. What in the hell.

This post was edited on 08-25-2007 at 08:23 AM by RebelSean.
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
08-25-2007 08:21 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: [Urgent] I/O operation failed
Have you tried restarting again? It might be a bad sector, I'm not sure what you do with those in Windows, but google might help :P
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
08-25-2007 12:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Urgent] I/O operation failed
I've restarted it quite a few times, get the same exact thing :(.
08-25-2007 09:46 PM
Adeptus

Try to scan your drive for errors and select "Check for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".  Do this at a time you won't need the computer for a while, because you will have to reboot to run the scan, it will take a good while, and you won't be able use the computer until the scan finishes.
08-26-2007 12:12 AM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
I'm going to scan it after I post this message, but I'm also getting this error when the Welcome screen comes on:

Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the registry.

Edit: Here is the second error message I get when I click OK to the error message above:

Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

And Chris, I did what you suggested, and I restarted my computer, and the scandisk program popped up for like 10 seconds, and it said that the volume was clean?

This post was edited on 08-26-2007 at 08:43 AM by RebelSean.
08-26-2007 08:36 AM
Verte

:( well I would suggest:

Gain root access somehow. If you can't log in as administrator, find a BartPE or GNU/Linux live CD. Check /Documents and Settings/you/NTUSER.DAT. If you have a copy somewhere, eg /Documents and Settings/Default User, try copying it across. Back up the original first ;)

If NTUSER.DAT was fine, the problem is probably a broken domain controller. Anyone know which files to replace if that is the case?
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
08-26-2007 09:21 AM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
Thanks guys, got it all fixed :).
08-27-2007 12:30 AM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
Thanks guys, got it all fixed
Good.  What was it?
quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
I did what you suggested, and I restarted my computer, and the scandisk program popped up for like 10 seconds, and it said that the volume was clean?
You didn't check the checkbox I told you to check, so it didn't do a surface scan.  Even if you made the symptoms go away by doing something else, I'd still recommend that you do the scan -- your problems very much sound bad sector related.
08-27-2007 01:26 AM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
Mind telling how? for future reference, you know.... Think you did a system restore...
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
08-27-2007 01:26 AM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
Yes, Voldies & Chris, I called Trekkie and he told me to do a system restore, I was actually reading him the error message and he was like yeah blah blah blah just do a system restore and it will fix it :p.

And Chris, I was looking at my event log viewer, and I have like over two hundred errors in the past two days and they all say:

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

And the event ID is 7.

But now I noticed something new, from today, it's a DCOM error and here's what event viewer says:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56}

Event ID: 10005

:-/
08-27-2007 06:41 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: