What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » "Photo.zip" virus (Probably not the first...)

"Photo.zip" virus (Probably not the first...)
Author: Message:
SeanW

O.P. "Photo.zip" virus (Probably not the first...)
Hey there.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. The other day I got an IM from one of my friends about pictures of a computer they wanted and sent me a zip file. The when I open it, nothing happens. Then the next thing I know I get IMs left and right saying "I can't open the picture" or "Yeah that's a virus" or "You have a homepage? Why do you have pictures of me?" and so on.

So it's about this time that I say "Aww hell! I got a virus!" Now usually I scan Norton and nip the bugger in the bud, but not this time. Oh no. I tried spyware removers, uninstalling and re-installing and the thing won't go away.

I'm probably not the first person to ask about this, but how the junk to I get rid of this thing?
11-10-2007 08:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
RE: "Photo.zip" virus (Probably not the first...)
quote:
Originally posted by SeanW
Hey there.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. The other day I got an IM from one of my friends about pictures of a computer they wanted and sent me a zip file. The when I open it, nothing happens. Then the next thing I know I get IMs left and right saying "I can't open the picture" or "Yeah that's a virus" or "You have a homepage? Why do you have pictures of me?" and so on.

So it's about this time that I say "Aww hell! I got a virus!" Now usually I scan Norton and nip the bugger in the bud, but not this time. Oh no. I tried spyware removers, uninstalling and re-installing and the thing won't go away.

I'm probably not the first person to ask about this, but how the junk to I get rid of this thing?

Please submit a sample of the virus to virus-trapper@msgpluszone.com if you still have the original file...ill take a look at it and help you fix it up and git R done.
11-10-2007 08:36 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
SeanW

O.P. RE: RE: "Photo.zip" virus (Probably not the first...)
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
quote:
Originally posted by SeanW
Hey there.

Please submit a sample of the virus to virus-trapper@msgpluszone.com if you still have the original file...ill take a look at it and help you fix it up and git R done.

Unfortunatly I don't have the file that the virus was held in. I deleted it, but I'm still having people on my contacts getting bombarded with the same message thate duped me.
11-11-2007 12:51 AM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/msn-windows-live-messenger-support/39945-photo-album-zip.html#post217085
* Go to My Received Files in My Documents folder. Delete (Shift + Delete) the Photo Album.zip folder and its contents.
* Go to C:\Windows. Delete the Photo Album.zip folder.
* In C:\Windows\System, find the rdfhost.dll or rdshost.dll files. Delete them.
* Go to Start > Run. Type regedit to open the Registry. Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\She llServiceObjectDelayLoad
rdshost {5344BB88-3DE1-409F-8307-C85923A1F4DD} Delete this key (right-click and click on Delete)
* Navigate to HKCR\CLSID\{5344BB88-3DE1-409F-8307-C85923A1F4DD} Delete this key.
* Reboot your computer.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
11-11-2007 01:22 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
stupidboy

hi gurus, i tried the step above... but maybe the file im receiving not the photo.zip , im receiving image29.zip,

but i believe the way of removing it should be the same right?

so wish you can give more info on how to remove it.
11-13-2007 11:48 AM
stupidboy

i sent a sample file to the email you mention, i wish you can find the solution for this virus.

please HELP
11-16-2007 02:26 AM
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
Hello,

I have received the email, unfortunatly nothing was attached for me to scan/test.  However, based on the file name and infection vector, I preliminarily would guess you have Backdoor.Win32.IRCBot.apd, Discovered on November 11th, 2007.  Protection is currently available for this threat by Kaspersky AntiVirus.  However, to ensure a 100% diagnosis, I do need the file.

Thanks.
11-16-2007 03:31 AM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Use this...http://safety.live.com, i gave that to my friend and it apparently fixed the problem *-)
...there used to be a signature here :)
11-16-2007 06:48 AM
stupidboy

RE: RE: "Photo.zip" virus (Probably not the first...)
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Hello,

I have received the email, unfortunatly nothing was attached for me to scan/test.  However, based on the file name and infection vector, I preliminarily would guess you have Backdoor.Win32.IRCBot.apd, Discovered on November 11th, 2007.  Protection is currently available for this threat by Kaspersky AntiVirus.  However, to ensure a 100% diagnosis, I do need the file.

Thanks.

hi, thanks for the reply, i guess u r right... it should be the Backdoor.Win32.IRCBot.apd, but how should i removed it if i dun have Kaspersky Antivirus? I do have NOD32.

i tried MSNCLEANER, IMPFIX and CCLEANER... seems not working at all... after few reboots.... it will start sending again.
11-16-2007 02:52 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: