What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » Comments to "Instructions for translation corrections"

Comments to "Instructions for translation corrections"
Author: Message:
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. Comments to "Instructions for translation corrections"
I just read "All the mistakes I've found in the hebrew version" where a user is kind enough to point out some mistakes in the Hebrew translation. Instead of being thanked for his excellent screenshots pointing out the errors, he is referred to Patchou's "Instructions for translation corrections".

I have to say I disagree with this way of handling voluntary translation correctors. We should generally be glad to have any mistakes at all pointed out. As it is, a user who notices a mistake must first create a forum account in order to report it - as if that in itself were not enough hassle.

I say: let users point out mistakes however they like and let the translators in charge do the interpreting and the resulting language file string search; it should be no problem for them while it will be more of a hassle for the untrained user. There's not exactly much activity on the Translation section of the forum as it is, especially when it comes to outside users pointing out mistakes. As far as Danish goes, we've only had comments from outside users like once or twice in 5 years.

I think that just about covers it; commence flaming! ;)
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
12-11-2007 01:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Omar
Spammin' Member!

I have Chrono in my hands! MWAHAHA!!

47 / Male / Flag
RE: Comments to "Instructions for translation corrections"
quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
Instead of being thanked for his excellent screenshots pointing out the errors, he is referred to Patchou's "Instructions for translation corrections".
first of all... thats the official policy on how to show any potential mistakes/corrections....

second, although its really appreciated that he took the time to make those screenshots and all that, his message was lacking on more information on what the mistakes were,.... if somebody posts screenies in Spanish without any further clarification, i wouldn't know what the problem is...

Hence I did not felt like he was being mistreated or anything along those lines. is not like people was telling him "stfu noob" or something similar.

my 2 cents...

This post was edited on 12-11-2007 at 03:48 PM by Omar.
Comunidad Hispana Oficial del Messenger Plus!  
TReKiE, you might as well face it... you are a dutchie (clogs, tulips and all that) :banana:
12-11-2007 03:46 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Comments to "Instructions for translation corrections"
Omar: "second, although its really appreciated that he took the time to make those screenshots and all that, his message was lacking on more information on what the mistakes were,.... if somebody posts screenies in Spanish without any further clarification, i wouldn't know what the problem is..."

That is a decent point, but in those cases one could just ask the original poster to clarify what they mean. I just fear that some people occasionally surf to the translation forum all eager to report something, then they are greeted by this extensive 'corrections guidelines' post and then abandon the whole idea. :P
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
12-11-2007 05:25 PM
Omar
Spammin' Member!

47 / Male / Flag
quote:
but in those cases one could just ask the original poster to clarify what they mean.
which in this case was done... :p
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
It would be helpful if you corrected it maybe, or posted corrections
and then he was shown how to do it... :p

I understand what you are saying, but  in this case the poster was treated fairly...:P

TReKiE, you might as well face it... you are a dutchie (clogs, tulips and all that) :banana:
12-11-2007 06:48 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
As far as Danish goes, we've only had comments from outside users like once or twice in 5 years.
Either that means:
A) reporting mistakes is indeed a big hassle for people and they neglect it...
B) There aren't many (read:none) mistakes in the Danish translation...

:D
I think it is B, because... (read on) ;)

quote:
I think that just about covers it; commence flaming! ;)
flaming procedure starting in:
T minus 3

T minus 2

T minus 1:

lift off......

I agree with Omar, although ZrednaZ has very good points.

But, to my knowledge, the guidelines are just that: guidelines. You don't need to follow them, it is just very handy for the translators if people do follow the instructions. Hence why they are pointed out.

That is: you don't even need to follow them literally. In some cases following them literally will make the work for the translator even harder. eg: I once made an extremely long post with all kinds of mistakes pointed out in various languages. If I would have followed the guideline literally that post would have become 10 times bigger and messy.

The big point of the guidelines is:
A) point out where the mistake is made, which is the most important requirement of all.
- This can be done like suggested in the guidelines: [topic]keyname=value
- or it can be done by providing a screenshot.
- or it can be done by providing just the text (although in many cases there are a lot of hits, so one should be carefull with it)

B) explain what the mistake is.
eg: ampersand collisions, spelling, too long lines, etc...

C) Give the proper correction.
Although the guidelines state that you must give a proper fix, in many cases it is up to the translator to come up with the fix. So this too is just a guideline/suggestion.

Anyways, bottom line, it doesn't hurt to read the guidelines for reporting a mistake. And thus there is no harm done when you point out that there is something like the guidelines and that they at least should be read, just for the information/to know roughly what is expected. Though, it should indeed never be a true requirement either.

As long as both the user and the translator understand eachother it would be ok... Which is the case in that Hebrew thread.... But that was after people said that he should go to the translation forum and report the mistakes, instead of just saying "there are a lot of mistakes"...

But, since he provided screenshots, it gives a far better picture to other people (incl. Patchou), who don't know the language, about the massive amount of mistakes in the translation. And backs up what The_Joker has been saying about the current translation... (and it personally raises big questions on the quality.)

Nevertheless, writing down the exact phrases instead of only providing a screenshot would have helped a lot. Since now the translator must manually search for those strings. While, if the exact wrong phrases were given, the translator could just copy/search/paste them. Especially if there are so many mistakes (if it was just one or two lines, it would have been not be so difficult for the translator).

Also, it would have been less work for the one who reported the mistakes, since he only needed to type over (or copy/paste too) the phrases, instead of making screenshots, editing the screenshots, uploading them, making a post with all the links and tag formatting, etc...

(this said, the guidelines may be up to some revising though. Not so much for the official translators, but more for the people who want to report something and/or start their own translation. Although I know this is way way far from priority number one.)

This post was edited on 12-11-2007 at 08:00 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-11-2007 07:38 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Omar
Spammin' Member!

47 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
But, to my knowledge, the guidelines are just that: guidelines.
I beg to differ...
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou on "Instructions for translation corrections"
you must follow this exact procedure, else, your post won't do any good (and I mean it).

12-11-2007 09:02 PM
Leif

80 / Male / –
Good points, Anders. But "once or twice in five years"! LOL
But perhaps I don't count as an 'outside user'. :D
12-11-2007 11:15 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Comments to "Instructions for translation corrections"
quote:
Originally posted by Omar
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
But, to my knowledge, the guidelines are just that: guidelines.
I beg to differ...
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou on "Instructions for translation corrections"
you must follow this exact procedure, else, your post won't do any good (and I mean it).

Ok, the wording might be a little bit strong, but since as long as I know, people have interpreted the guidelines in their own way, with success. Even the official translators themselfs don't use the exact litteral way of reporting mistakes like it is suggested in the guidelines. Without anybody, including Patchou, complaining.

The guidelines are there for giving a guideline, in addition to the common sense of how to report a mistake (and, if you like, to provide a strict method for those who don't have common sense :p).

I think that particular post of Patchou is more meant for those who come here and just post "The translation sucks, fix it".

This post was edited on 12-11-2007 at 11:35 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-11-2007 11:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: