What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » English language errors [PATCHOU THIS MEANS YOU!]

English language errors [PATCHOU THIS MEANS YOU!]
Author: Message:
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. Grin  English language errors [PATCHOU THIS MEANS YOU!]
Hello my darlings. I'm loving the new version and just popped by to point out a couple of English mistakes/typos, so, à la Paciullo:

Hi!

I found some errors in the English translation.
Section: [Window.ConfigWizard]
Current text: LblTextFormat=Advanced Text Formating
Fixed text: LblTextFormat=Advanced Text Formatting

Section: [Window.Pref.Scripts]
Current text: LblNote=Important: security wise, scripts have the same power as any other executable program, only install scripts that come from trusted sources.
Fixed text: LblNote=Important: security-wise, scripts have the same power as any other executable program; only install scripts that come from trusted sources.
Note about this one: the hyphen in security-wise is grammatically necessary; the comma after program is also wrong and should be replaced, either by the semicolon as shown, or by a dash ("program - only") or new sentence ("program. Only") depending on stylistic preference.

Current text: AutoUpdateWarning=Auto-update notifications have been disabled.\n\nIn addition to bringing new features and bug fixes, Messenger Plus! updates also insure full compatibility with new versions of Messenger. You may encounter some serious issues in Messenger if Messenger Plus! is not kept up to date.\n\nAre you sure you want to disable auto-update notifications in Messenger Plus! ?
Fixed text: AutoUpdateWarning=Auto-update notifications have been disabled.\n\nIn addition to bringing new features and bug fixes, Messenger Plus! updates also ensure full compatibility with new versions of Messenger. You may encounter some serious issues in Messenger if Messenger Plus! is not kept up to date.\n\nAre you sure you want to disable auto-update notifications in Messenger Plus! ?
Note about this one: The changed word is "insure". I've checked three different online dictionaries and none suggest this is an acceptable synonym for "ensure".

Please, anyone who speaks English, confirm these modifications (please, anyone who speaks English, confirm these modifications).

Thank you.

[edit] Just caught another one...

This post was edited on 03-30-2008 at 12:33 AM by fluffy_lobster.
12-16-2007 08:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: English language errors
The first string should be corrected
The second is fine as it is
Third should be changed. 'Insure' is a verb, for insurance, for if things get damaged. 'Ensure' is the correct word here
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
12-16-2007 08:48 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: English language errors
You really can't say the second is fine as it is without justifying yourself. See:
http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features...py/main?query=wise
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/wise
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wise
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wise vs http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-wise

As for the comma, the phrases on either side of it are independent clauses. The comma has many functions but none of them are separating clauses like this; syntactically you may just as well use no punctuation at all, although the comma does deceptively add a little oral intonation similar to the correct options.

Of course "ensure" is also a verb, but as you say, "insure" has a different meaning ;)

I should hold my hands up here and point out that I'm not purposefully being a grammar bitch, but it might as well be right if it can :)

This post was edited on 12-16-2007 at 09:23 PM by fluffy_lobster.
12-16-2007 09:21 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
It's not a comma though; it's semi-colon. It can seperate clause and that part of the text is fine ;)
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
12-16-2007 09:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
It's not a comma though; it's semi-colon. It can seperate clause and that part of the text is fine ;)
The semicolon is in my suggested replacement; it's still a comma in my version certainly.
12-16-2007 09:47 PM
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster

Section: [Window.Pref.Scripts]
Current text: LblNote=Important: security wise, scripts have the same power as any other executable program, only install scripts that come from trusted sources.
Fixed text: LblNote=Important: security-wise, scripts have the same power as any other executable program; only install scripts that come from trusted sources.
Note about this one: the hyphen in security-wise is grammatically necessary; the comma after program is also wrong and should be replaced, either by the semicolon as shown, or by a dash ("program - only") or new sentence ("program. Only") depending on stylistic preference.
While I could be wrong as I'm no expert in English grammar, I think there are many more instances of commas being used instead of semicolons in the English language file. I recall using quite a few semicolons in the Danish translation in places where the English source simply utilized commas. Maybe if I have some more energy later I'll try to document my claim.
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
12-16-2007 10:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Well, it occurred to me that I could fairly quickly find them all by searching the language file for commas, so here's what I found...

Section: [Window.SetupWizard]
Current text: FatalError=A fatal error occurred, the setup seems to be damaged.
Fixed text: FatalError=A fatal error occurred. The setup seems to be damaged.

Current text: RadSponsorNo=I &refuse to give my support, don't install the sponsor
Fixed text: RadSponsorNo=I &refuse to give my support - don't install the sponsor

Current text: ChkMsgPlusAccept=I &accept the terms of the License Agreement, install Messenger Plus! Live
Fixed text: ChkMsgPlusAccept=I &accept the terms of the License Agreement - install Messenger Plus! Live

Section: [Window.UninstallWizard]
Current text: FatalError=A fatal error occurred, please reinstall or try again later.
Fixed text: FatalError=A fatal error occurred. Please reinstall or try again later.

Section: [Window.UninstallWizard]
Current text: LblSponsor1=The sponsor program will now be uninstalled. Please close all the programs that are currently running and press Next to continue, additional instructions will be displayed.
Fixed text: LblSponsor1=The sponsor program will now be uninstalled. Please close all the programs that are currently running and press Next to continue; additional instructions will be displayed.

Section: [Window.Pref.GeneralMain]
Current text: LblUpdateInfo=Every update requires user input, nothing will be installed automatically.
Fixed text: LblUpdateInfo=Every update requires user input - nothing will be installed automatically.

Section: [Window.Pref.LogEncryption]
Current text: LblCryptInfo=This feature will protect your log files by encrypting them with a strong algorithm. The password you specify here will always be required to open your log files, please choose it carefully as you'll have no way of retrieving it later on.
Fixed text: LblCryptInfo=This feature will protect your log files by encrypting them with a strong algorithm. The password you specify here will always be required to open your log files. Please choose it carefully as you'll have no way of retrieving it later on.

Current text: FatalErrorPwdChange=A fatal error occurred, the password could not be changed.
Fixed text: FatalErrorPwdChange=A fatal error occurred. The password could not be changed.

Current text: PasswordNoMatch=The password you entered for this file does not match, please try again.
Fixed text: PasswordNoMatch=The password you entered for this file does not match. Please try again.

Section: [Window.Decrypting]
Current text: LblDecrypt=Decrypting the file, please wait...
Fixed text: LblDecrypt=Decrypting the file - please wait...

Section: [Window.UpdateAvailable]
Current text: LblText2=Click on the button below to start downloading the update (this may take a couple of minutes to complete). Installation will proceed normally and will require your input, nothing will be done automatically.
Fixed text: LblText2=Click on the button below to start downloading the update (this may take a couple of minutes to complete). Installation will proceed normally and will require your input; nothing will be done automatically.

Section: [Window.SoundPanel]
Current text: SendSoundError=An error occurred while contacting the server, please try again later.\nIf the problem persists, check your security settings.
Fixed text: SendSoundError=An error occurred while contacting the server. Please try again later.\nIf the problem persists, check your security settings.

Section: [Window.SoundPanel]
Current text: SendSoundDisabled=The Custom Emotion Sounds feature is currently disabled.\nThe server may be under maintenance, please try again later.
Fixed text: SendSoundDisabled=The Custom Emotion Sounds feature is currently disabled.\nThe server may be under maintenance - please try again later.

Section: [Window.Sounds.Properties]
Current text: LblDecrypt=SendSndError=The server refused the sound file, please try again later.
Fixed text: SendSndError=The server refused the sound file - please try again later.

Section: [Window.ImportSoundsWizard],
[Window.PrefImportWizard]
Current text: FileExists=The specified file already exists, do you want to overwrite?
Fixed text: FileExists=The specified file already exists. Do you want to overwrite it?

Section: [Window.ImportSoundsWizard], [Window.CreateSoundWizard]
Current text: RadExit=I'm d&one, exit this wizard
Fixed text: RadExit=I'm d&one - exit this wizard

Current text: LblUpdate=No update is done automatically or silently, you will be presented with the same options you get when you download Messenger Plus! from the web.
Fixed text: LblUpdate=No update is done automatically or silently. You will be presented with the same options you get when you download Messenger Plus! from the web.

Section: [Window.ScriptDocDownload]
Current text: LblTop=Please wait, the documentation is being downloaded.
Fixed text: LblTop=Please wait - the documentation is being downloaded.

Section: [ContestMessages]
Current text: CheckOver=The contest is now over, the results will be posted at msgpluslive.net.\nThank you for your participation!
Fixed text: CheckOver=The contest is now over. The results will be posted at msgpluslive.net.\nThank you for your participation!
01-05-2008 03:01 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
Section: [ContestMessages]
Current text: CheckOver=The contest is now over, the results will be posted at msgpluslive.net.\nThank you for your participation!
Fixed text: CheckOver=The contest is now over. The results will be posted at msgpluslive.net.\nThank you for your participation!
The contest has been REALLY over for a long time.
quote:
Originally posted by Changelog
Internal material related to the 6th Anniversary Contest has been removed.
...from the language files as well as the software. You made good points about the file but I am afraid you will have to check the last language file again.

This post was edited on 01-05-2008 at 07:56 PM by ahmetgns.
01-05-2008 07:55 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Bump... all language bugs are still in 4.60 except the contest one which as is pointed out no longer occurs in the software.
03-20-2008 01:27 AM
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
If anyone still cares...
03-26-2008 12:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version