What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Microsoft requests 'Cloning' Plus! scripts to be removed

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] Last »
Microsoft requests 'Cloning' Plus! scripts to be removed
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Microsoft requests 'Cloning' Plus! scripts to be removed
And the format of the files does not matter in that regard either.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-03-2010 03:53 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
oraelbathory

33 / Male / Flag
They may ask you to take away those specific "cloning" scripts, and refer to them as "malicious," but MessengerPlus! works simultaneously with MessengerDiscovery. Which uses a "cloning" script, !imitate. Which clones the contacts name, font, colour, and text font and colour. And there are a lot of scripts with these traits.

I mean, you can hold a petition or a poll for whether or not it should really be removed. I use them on my friends here and there, and sometimes, all the time. They think it's amusing, not malicious. But again, don't want to upset Microsoft and have them shut everything down. Then there would be a lot of upset users... But a petition or poll wouldn't hurt, just for the hell of it. Introduce the poll or petition to Microsoft, and see what they think. If they still say no, then I suppose just pull the plug. But the users still have MessengerDiscovery's "!imitate" script... =/
03-27-2010 08:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by oraelbathory
I mean, you can hold a petition or a poll for whether or not it should really be removed.
It was Microsoft that requested, and Plus! depends on Microsoft to exist, simple as that.
[Image: Empty.png]
03-27-2010 09:11 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
So, all in all, I would strongly discourage downloading scripts from such databases.
Unless you're one of those people who can read through every line of code and understand it. Though this might be something a lot of regulars here can do, it's certainly not something which newbies on the web would do which is why I'd like to echo what Cookie said, stick to the official script db :)

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Originally posted by oraelbathory
I mean, you can hold a petition or a poll for whether or not it should really be removed.
It was Microsoft that requested, and Plus! depends on Microsoft to exist, simple as that.
I wouldn't put it up to dependence. It's more a fact that they do have a point. Since it is their software, they do have to look at the fact that there are absolute newbies who have no idea about how things work and could easily be tricked by such things. For people who don't know better, such scripts could be a problem. There is a potential for misuse (as there is with most things, I'm afraid). Not everyone has the same set of ethics and moral standards not to use such scripts to do wrong things. I guess when the risk becomes a bit too high or a couple of particular cases come up and all this comes to their notice, mails start flying out.
I don't see anything wrong with that :)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
03-28-2010 11:25 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
oraelbathory

33 / Male / Flag
Yeah, that is true. Like me, though I may have a moral background and limit its use to certain restrictions, not all people are me, sadly. And they feel the need to use the scripts for more inappropriate things. And once it comes to that, either certain cases of it, or too many people doing it, like Anderton said, it becomes a problem and Microsoft sees it as nothing but as such. Which, I can't blame them. If I were to put myself in someone's position who was being victimized by someone who used the scripts so "poorly," I would want it removed, as well. So, I suppose I wasn't quite thinking the same with my previous post, but yeah. If it needs to be removed, it needs to be removed.
04-03-2010 05:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: